• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Turn based or action?

What is better?

• turn-based

Votes: 218 71.0%
  • action combat

Votes: 89 29.0%

• Total voters

Vblad88

The hybrids have the best gameplay - I used to call 12 and 13 "Final Fantasy Managers". They play best but have stories somehow unmemorable.

Last edited:

RayHell

I saw so many pools like this over the years and every time turned based win by a good margin but when people ask Square, they say people want action RPG 🤷‍♂️

A.Romero

I always thought I prefered turn based combat for RPG's. I remember I was really annoyed by FFXII combat style (not a big fan of MMOs and to me it played exactly like an MMO).

I was entertained by FFXIII but couldn't really bring myself to finish it.

Then I played FFXV and liked the combat (even if other parts of the games were a mess and even the combat in some sections like the ones with the magic ring). Then I played Chrono Trigger on 3DS a few years back and found it annoying (in my memory it was one of my favorite games). Then I played Divinity: Original sin series and it brought me back to turn based.

Then I played FFVII:R and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I realized that while I like both schemes but not for all games. I'm fully on board with FF main series being action oriented and leave turn base to other kind of games.

Gambit2483

I like what they did with FF7R. It's a bit of both but can also either be one or the other completely. Sort of a compromise of both mechanics.

Elitro

Given the current implementations i prefer turn based. Honestly i wouldn't mind going action but they have to improve the formula.

fersnake

i played all my life turn based games since snes and psone era, love it but in these days i really dont like it anymore so FFXV, FFVII remake and now FFXVI are the way to go for me.

My favourite genre is character action games and FF16 looks kickass but I think FF should go back to being turn based. It's part of the series core identity.

Imagine if the next devil may cry game was turn based. That would be really weird too.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Remake was great since it had options to tune combat to be faster or slower. I liked that system. IMO, best of both worlds with some tweaking.

wvnative

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

I love FFIX so of course turn based. But FF7R made the perfect balance between action and turn based......after R I dont get why they loose the party for FFXVI

Crayon

I think what they did with remake was great.

But I'm sick of the stagger thing. Why can't I just whittle them down like normal? Why is ever boss have to be hit with specific attacks until they stagger for a limited time where you can actualy do damage? I've head an argument as to why that's good but I don't think it's very fun.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The series has not been turn-based longer than it has been turn-based. Also the best gameplay in the series were the games that were not Turn-based. FFXIV, FFXII, FF7R. I love the turn-based games and I love Turn-based games in general, but I don't need them in FF games anymore as long as the gameplay is still fun, and it usually is.

Gambit2483

But I'm sick of the stagger thing. Why can't I just whittle them down like normal? Why is ever boss have to be hit with specific attacks until they stagger for a limited time where you can actualy do damage? I've head an argument as to why that's good but I don't think it's very fun.

Stagger mode is supposed to add a bit of strategy and give the player a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment since attacks do even greater damage if triggered. It's sort of like an endorphin rush for the combat system. At least that's the sense I get they've been going for.

CGNoire

I would love to hear about all these "Strategies" people are using in turn based?

Please convince me why its not just nostalgia?

CGNoire

Turn based because I like using my brain. Using invincibility frames to dodge attacks and spamming the attack button when the enemy stands there is nothing special. It's not like these action-rpgs ever reach the complexity of combat and challenging A.I like games in the actual action genre.
But they should strive for that complexity we just need to light a fire under them.

lyan

I would love to hear about all these "Strategies" people are using in turn based?

Most played turn based games in their childhood when they were young and believed they had a big brain when they beat them, in reality (especially FF) it boils down to heal when you low on hp, attack otherwise.
Challenge runs and post-game content being the exception but I reckon a big portion of people moved on to other games without doing them.

Kumomeme

I saw so many pools like this over the years and every time turned based win by a good margin but when people ask Square, they say people want action RPG 🤷‍♂️
the pool aimed at the fanbase of the series who grow up with the franchise which is majority of it used to be turn based-ish combat system

the 'people' square refer to is, the upcoming new generation of audience. they aimed to keep grow the series.

Zuzu

Action-based but with character switching and the option to pause to make strategic battle systems via item and ability selection etc. So the battle system in Final Fantasy 7 Remake essentially. FF7 Remake’s battle system is way more fun than the old turn-based systems.

Last edited:

Croga

I'll always be a sucker for a great turn based system, it's my preferred style, and not to get off topic, but you see games like Dragon Quest XI stick to their roots and still be great games without massively changing the formula.

FF with pure action based, DMC style combat I would have been sceptical of, but with YoshiP at the helm, even with the fact that I am on media blackout for the game, I have faith it will be great.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Turn based because I like using my brain. Using invincibility frames to dodge attacks and spamming the attack button when the enemy stands there is nothing special. It's not like these action-rpgs ever reach the complexity of combat and challenging A.I like games in the actual action genre.
Using your brain isn't connected to either system inherently. You can have brainless turn based battle or brainless real time battle. It's all up to the developers to implement the proper complexity in either system.

How many old school turn based RPGs have you grinded by just holding down the A button so your party keeps attacking? A lot.

Reactions: Fbh

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Most bosses can be whittled down like normal (especially on the easier difficulties), but that encourages spamming and is relatively brain dead. The stagger system incorporates another layer of depth and complexity to the battle system. It allows players a way to increase their DPS if they choose to fight optimally and with strategy. From a gameplay perspective it creates mini-goals mid-battle for the player to achieve.

Gexxy1

Maybe play Persona 5 or one of the newer Fire Emblem games- both of which manage to sell millions of copies- and get back to us?

K2D

Banned
Real time action is the polar opposite of what I love about FF's combat.

FF is at it's best for me when I can take as much time as I want and I can explore and discover new gimmicks within ordinary combat encounters - When every new boss is either puzzle you can solve if you choose to not grind - or waltz over if you learn how to min/max.

(The ultimate Dark Souls/Final Fantasy experience for me would be to incentivize solving the puzzle and having the grind be punishing/yielding diminishing returns)

Actionstyle and hack'n'slash combat should've been the games more often relegated to spin-off titles and budgets rather than the other way around.

I don't find myself playing or purchasing FF titles any more. Never played the tactics style games, but I feel I have to try out Tactics Ogre now at least (not a big fan of the grid style).

I mean action is still ATB at its core. But you do get to move around. 🤷‍♂️

Dilutes my favorite aspects of atb and bloats the the experience with fluff and filler.

I enjoy turn-based more, but I don't dislike action-oriented combat either. FF7R's battle system was just the sweet spot for me.

FF7R was good. Hack'n'slash element was okay but the atb time aspect had the most promise. Did not like the classic mode AT ALL..

I prefer turn based as to why I absolutely love Dragon Quest 11. I can't see why they don't make both. Nintendo is great at this. You have multiple gameplay styles within the same franchise.

Kokoloko85

FF7 Remake battle system is great. We’ll have to see about FF16 ( looks promising )
FF15 not so great.

Im good with action combat, Im good with both tbh

cireza

My opinion is that Final Fantasy has rarely been excellent at either, with the exception of Final Fantasy X (excellent turn-based) and Lighting Returns (excellent action gameplay). But otherwise, ATB has always sucked quite a bit, and action has been synonym of very poor variety.

Allandor

Turn based (atb) was the better thing.
Let summons be in the game that are really worth it.
Let me control what characters have to do for a more strategic fight.

There are enough action based button smashers. FF XV was just another of that mass and not even good (IMHO)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Looooool.

Action combat all day every day. Turn based made sense 30 years ago, but who the fuck wants to participate in slow, boring turn based battles now?

It's outdated and archaic. A relic of the past that needs to stay in the past.

To prove my point, FF has only gotten better since it started using action combat. FFXV is a great example as it's easily the greatest FF and JRPG ever made. Why? Because it let go of the past and embraced the future.

TheCed

I prefer turn based but I don't mind action based either.

Both are cool IMO, I just hope both could co exist.

Chukhopops

FF has only gotten better since it started using action combat. FFXV is a great example as it's easily the greatest FF and JRPG ever made.
Futurama Squinting GIF

I can’t tell anymore who’s trolling or serious at this point. I think this thread and the Dark Souls combat thread have finally broken the barrier between the two.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Futurama Squinting GIF

I can’t tell anymore who’s trolling or serious at this point. I think this thread and the Dark Souls combat thread have finally broken the barrier between the two.

If it helps, I'm being deadly serious. Like, "I fap to FFXV and it's greatness" serious.

Top Bottom