• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Turn based or action?

What is better?

• turn-based

Votes: 218 71.0%
  • action combat

Votes: 89 29.0%

• Total voters

Lethal01

Matt Jones Reaction GIF by CBS

You don't think that adding an additional optional combat system would eat into time, budget and could also require sacrifices for one or both of the systems.

GeekyDad

SMT is good because it's actually challenging during normal encounters and the demon fusion mechanics encourages you to constantly change and evolve your party. That flexibility also allows for cool bosses which often requiere you to completely change up your party and your approach to them. Like Matador in Nocturne was a good "noob filter" because beating him wasn't about grinding for levels but rather creating a party specifically built to counter him.
But that's not the case with the vast majority of turn based FF (and turn based JRPG's in general).

I guess there's an argument to be had about getting a new turn based FF with completely reworked and improved gameplay that manages to be as deep, strategic and challenging as SMT.
But personally I don't get the people that just want a new game with the combat of, say, OG FF7
That would have been a great way for the main FF series to start evolving, by incorporating those types of considerations into battle. And yet, at the same time, like you say, other series were already doing it, and I think ultimately, from where SE sits, it was healthier for the series to keep evolving. Otherwise, it might just be a niche series by now. Money-wise, they did the wise thing.

And when you think about it, it seems like they were experimenting plenty with offshoots of the main series, testing out action combat, etc. Perhaps what would please fans like me and some others would be to go in the opposite direction -- keep evolving the main series, but have offshoots that maintain the classic feel. And they're kinda doing it with other series. It's not quite the same, though, since none of the FF world elements are there.

hyperbertha

That "suggestion" was...."dont care to bother answering your annoying question so why dont you play through these 2 40hr games and get back to us" wasnt a serious response so neither was my response. Lets not play these games.
You started the game. Your original post was dismissive and mocking. Well deserved replies.

Hybrid turned based is the best.

FF7 Remake, Kotor, Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout New Vegas, Mass Effect 1, etc.

Turn based because I like using my brain. Using invincibility frames to dodge attacks and spamming the attack button when the enemy stands there is nothing special. It's not like these action-rpgs ever reach the complexity of combat and challenging A.I like games in the actual action genre.
Sounds like you just thought of a potential million dollar idea. The Doom Eternal of Action RPGs.

Last edited:
People bought the hell out of Nickelback albums years ago, doesn't make it good music.
Nickelback is a bad example here unless you’re talking about turn based FF, then in that case your post is perfect.

Before anyone refutes this, ask any younger relatives if they know what the hell Nickelback is.

lyan

SMT is good because it's actually challenging during normal encounters and the demon fusion mechanics encourages you to constantly change and evolve your party. That flexibility also allows for cool bosses which often requiere you to completely change up your party and your approach to them. Like Matador in Nocturne was a good "noob filter" because beating him wasn't about grinding for levels but rather creating a party specifically built to counter him.
But that's not the case with the vast majority of turn based FF (and turn based JRPG's in general).

I guess there's an argument to be had about getting a new turn based FF with completely reworked and improved gameplay that manages to be as deep, strategic and challenging as SMT.
But personally I don't get the people that just want a new game with the combat of, say, OG FF7
XIII also tried it to a smaller degree with the party's paradigm (/job) configuration, but the difficulty was not there to push it's potential and there are only a handful type of hard enemies in that grassland.

FF has always been easy and I know a lot of "casuals" myself that only play FF as their only rpg so I can understand they wouldn't ramp things up like SMT, same as how Pokemon can be deep and strategic but the only way you can get some challenge is playing against another human.

CGNoire

You started the game. Your original post was dismissive and mocking. Well deserved replies.
Ok. I get it. That is fair.

Whats also fair though is to point out that from my online exp whenever anyone asks about strategies used in turn based combat its always ignored which of course leads me to be suspisous. Ive never seen it answered. Noone ever responds.

If I was being generous maybe I would give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume there just suspisous of being trolled bye action fans. Maybe they assume anything they say will be mocked. But at the same time if i dont ask Ill never find out.

I dont see the strategies that are different than in action games outside of maybe group managment stuff like positioning etc in games like new xcom. Most of the stategies i encounter in TBC seems doable in action games. Its a sincere question that admittedly would have raised less ire and be more likely to bear fruit if I had written it less aggresive.

NahaNago

I prefer turn base but for the larger modern audience I can understand why they went action for their newer games. I do think that the turn based fighting of 7-10 needed a massive change though if they were going for a new ff game for today. More environmental attack/defense/obstacle options, use of distance, more allies, more enemies, longer epic battles, weather that changes what attacks you should use, and more joint attacks. This unfortunately would have them rethink their whole entire world building for battles though and I can't seem them doing something like this.

Catphish

tell me how splitting development focus and resources across two different combat systems can result in anything other than a half baked mess?
It would only be as half-baked as its implementation.

If they do it right, it’s done right. If they don’t, it’s not. But to say failure is a foregone conclusion is ridiculous.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One or the other. I HATE the hybrid system in FFVIIR (only recent one I've played). Made me stop playing the game after just a few hours (along with it just being incredibly boring and annoying in general).

Fbh

XIII also tried it to a smaller degree with the party's paradigm (/job) configuration, but the difficulty was not there to push it's potential and there are only a handful type of hard enemies in that grassland.

Honestly the biggest issue with the combat in XIII is that it took way too long to take off the training wheels. A third or more of that game is literally pressing X to win.
Once it opens up and they give you more options to customize the roles in your party it's pretty fun though I still always felt like something was missing by only being able to directly control 1 character. The summons were pretty underwhelming too.

I’m glad SMT exists for the gamers who are into that kind of thing, but personally I don’t want a FF game where every single encounter is some punishing “strategic” affair that can kill you if you don’t have the right party. FF (and most other JRPGs) are built around fighting the same enemies over, and over, and over. It turns into a total slog if they try to make it too complicated and challenging.

Also not really into that gameplay loop of continually swapping and reconfiguring your party. I like it when I can build my favorite party and make a strategy that works with their strengths and weaknesses.

Again I’m glad it’s there for those who like it, but not for me. And it is about as far from Final Fantasy as a JRPG can get.

I get not liking the SMT combat, and to be clear I'm not saying it's the only way to make a good turn based combat. I'm just saying that when I see people arguing that they liked turn based FF better because it was strategic and forced them use their brain I find it weird because that's not my experience with like 90%+ of the combat you'll be doing in the average turn based FF. On the other hand SMT is an example where I could see that argument working and, to be honest, I guess I'd be disappointment if the next SMT has action based combat

Fighting the same enemies over and over is indeed a part of the experience but that's exactly why to me traditional turn based FF becomes a slog. It's just selecting the same commands from a menu over and over. At least with real time combat there's a more active role required from the player which makes it more engaging even if the game isn't necessarily putting up a fight. There's a reason virtually every FF remaster comes with a 2X (or sometimes even 4X) combat speed option.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I recently played through the Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster and finished it (possibly my 50th playthrough of the game)
I started into Final Fantasy XVI and gave up about halfway through because the combat was so boring

pasterpl

Not only FF but I cannot stand any and all turn based RPGs, never liked them, tried get into these multiple times but couldn’t force myself past initial stages.

Flutta

Banned
Action based anyday everyday. Turn based are for cowards with slow reaction time, it’s boring made for people who can’t ’Git Guuud’ 😝

Skelterz

I’ve said it already but I’ll say it again, When SE realise one of the main reasons games like Persona and the Dragon Quest series are doing so well in the west is because AAA Final fantasy in it’s turn based form that dominated the market has seemingly vanished, Then maybe we will finally get a good game out of them.

Don’t get me wrong it has allowed for other JRPG’s to take the spotlight but in all fairness if SE made a AAA ATB final fantasy in the vain of say Lost odyssey or Xenoblade (world design not combat) then they would rake it in, but this point I don’t know if there just stupid or stubborn.

Last edited:

Katatonic

Action all the way.
Just my opinion, but I really don't see the point of the hybrid setup in FF7 Remake or FF15. Just not fun for me.
IMO they should either make it fully turn based like 7 and 10 or full on balls to the wall action like 16.
That said, I'd be fine if they stick with and expand on 16's template going forward.

Fbh

I recently played through the Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster and finished it (possibly my 50th playthrough of the game)
I started into Final Fantasy XVI and gave up about halfway through because the combat was so boring

The biggest problem with the combat in XVI is that there's virtually no challenge. They worried so much about making it accessible and adding options for people who have seemingly never held a controller before, but they completely forgot about the rest of the audience. It's one of the easiest RPG's I've played but for some reason there's like 10 options to make it even easier and not a single option to make it more challenging.

In trying to actually make it a bit harder I'm playing without using potions (or other healing items) and in over 30 hours I've died twice: One on the third stage of a multi phase boss (the game then respawns you at the beginning of the final phase with full health) and once when I took on a hunt board target that was like 8 levels above me (which I still killed on my second try).

Sine they took inspiration from the likes of DMC they could have at least added some sort of grading/ranking system

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think the best FF battle systems are neither fully turn-based nor fully action: XII, XIII trilogy, XIV, VII Remake

I’d love to see more of that instead of a return to boring ass ATB.

Damigos

IX is good. You should play it if you haven't.
I have, many times actually. I ve finished it i think twice. It is an excellent game, just didnt fall in love with it maybe due to technical reasons. I really disliked then combat systems (i even prefer the junction system from 8 and the fact that battle were sooooo slow). Also the story went too political for my taste, which is why i enjoyed but didnt love 12 (also because it feels like an mmo)

Don't care. This is not what the future of the series hinges on - that's competent storytelling and game design, which only the first halves of XVI and XII have had for the last however long

• LOL
Reactions: K2D

Schorschi

I like turn based very much, the gambit system too. But in this action Systems i can only Controller the Main charakter, no tactic at all for my Party...i must think of Rogue Galaxy, an action rpg, but in full controll of the party, Love it!

nordique

Action for me

Zero interest in turn based final fantasy

Exact opposite to majority of poll though. Just my own tastes

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Action for regular mobs, turn based with bosses (with mixed in sections of action as part of the attack prompt).
--> Don't need to pay me Square, just go and run with it.

Even though I'm sincerely loving FFXVI, I think I prefer turn based. I miss having control over the whole party and creating unique setups. FFXV did a better job in allowing some control over your party members.

DQXI, SMTV, and Like A Dragon each did an excellent job delivering modern turn based JRPGs.

linko9

They both work, the series should keep experimenting with both. Just played Final Fantasy Adventure recently (and yes, it did have FF in the title in Japan) and it was quite fun. So FF has been doing both for a long time!

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I do prefer turn based but FF7 remake combat did work. Your party members felt important and switching felt more connected.
FF16 took it to far and I felt no connection to my party it felt soulless.

My favorite turn based is currently persona which wouldn’t work.

ergem

I enjoyed FFXVI for its action combat. I loved the game for its story and lore.

But I would love the series to return to a turn based combat or something like FF7 remake.

I also feel like open world would do well for this game. Give us the sense of wandering and exploration, but not at the expense of story telling. They were able to do that for ff7-ff9. Imagine the world map fleshed out into an open world.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve only played turn-based and I’m not a huge fan. So I’d say action spontaneously, but I need to play something like FF16 first to know if I like that.

IAmRei

maybe now this time they can use parasite eve or vagrant story combat style again. although, i'm amazed with FF16, i'm more to turn based

Lokaum D+

Funny thig is, 99% of turn based rpg out there dosnt make the numbers of action RPG, ppl say they prefer turn based but the truth is that no one buys.

TitanNut88

I voted turn-based but both FFXII and FFXIII have an amazing combat system which is good enough so that you don’t miss the turn-based style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom