• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII on PS3 and PS4 (Gameblog rumor)

Coming from someone who barely played FFXIII and isn't big into Square Enix or FF at all but is still fairly curious given how often this game comes up; why were people so excited for Versus after how FFXIII turned out? Was it just completely unrelated to that series beyond being in the same world, or was it due to something else such as the team making it? Is it a spiritual sequel to a different Square franchise?

Because otherwise it always just struck me as a game barely anything was revealed about before falling off the radar for several years and gaining a cult following due to SE's current offerings.

Soriku

Working on my statistics assignment and came across this....

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ftse-100-movers-bt-group-155100499.html

Can only assume it has a direct correlation to the Versus upgrade to PS4.

lol. Wrong Nomura :p

Coming from someone who barely played FFXIII and isn't big into Square Enix or FF at all but is still fairly curious given how often this game comes up; why were people so excited for Versus after how FFXIII turned out? Was it just completely unrelated to that series beyond being in the same world, or was it due to something else such as the team making it? Is it a spiritual sequel to a different Square franchise?

Because otherwise it always just struck me as a game barely anything was revealed about before falling off the radar for several years and gaining a cult following due to SE's current offerings.

+Modern setting
+Interesting looking story
+Cool looking characters
+Combat similar to KH
+Big world

Plus it's being made by a different team than FF XIII. In fact the Versus in the title stands for the fact that it's going against the views/standards in FF XIII.

Every Final Fantasy is pretty different. It's basically rebooting the franchise with every new game. XIII-2 and XIII-3 are spinoffs that kept the gameplay and style of the numbered franchise.

Also, at this point rumours point to Versus becoming FF15, so ... reboot.

Go_Ly_Dow

Different....

-Story
-World/Setting
-Characters
-Game engine
-Gameplay (Action)
-Art style
-Director
-Writer
-Composer

Focus on traditional FF elements....

-Airships
-Vehicles
-3D worldmap
-Towns

It vaguely shares the same mythos as the XIII-verse, but at this point it wouldn't be surprising if even that has been toned down or maybe even scrapped.

Will also have many elements that are new to the FF series. To me it's always just seemed like a breath of fresh air.

Every Final Fantasy is pretty different. It's basically rebooting the franchise with every new game. XIII-2 and XIII-3 are spinoffs that kept the gameplay and style of the numbered franchise.

Also, at this point rumours point to Versus becoming FF15, so ... reboot.
That would make a lot more sense then. Not being that big into FF I kind of assumed Versus would still be firmly rooted in what FF13 was. Given how overdue a proper Kingdom Hearts 3 is I can also why Versus being more similar to that series gameplay-wise would also garner excitement.

Thanks guys!

That would make a lot more sense then. Not being that big into FF I kind of assumed Versus would still be firmly rooted in what FF13 was. Given how overdue a proper Kingdom Hearts 3 is I can also why Versus being more similar to that series gameplay-wise would also garner excitement.

Thanks guys!

No worries!

There are many valid reasons for this, but at this point it feels like Versus is main being put on a pedestal out of some idle hope that it'll rekindle the old magic of the franchise. In a way it was inevitable given how long ago this game was announced and how far the far Square's public perception lowered. This sort of thing embodies the 'believe' subtitle of NeoGAF like no other.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

It visually looked good and the gameplay mechanics looked and sounded quite interesting.

To be honest, when they showed both I was initially more interested in FFXIII. That ended up sucking with a terrible female lead (she looks good though). Versus to me was originally more of Nomura's same old-same old. Once they showed new gameplay for Versus I was more intrigued. Very intrigued, even. Reminded me of FFXII's fabulous offline MMO system.

At this point in time I just want an FF game that has zero ties to Lightning and her l'cie infested world. Preferably without Nomura's influence in any form (so FFXV or XVI then?)

Exentryk

Working on my statistics assignment and came across this....

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ftse-100-movers-bt-group-155100499.html

Can only assume it has a direct correlation to the Versus upgrade to PS4.

Hahaha!

In fact the Versus in the title stands for the fact that it's going against the views/standards in FF XIII.

Was this in some old interview? I've seen many people post it. Coz Versus in Latin means “to turn around” and in English it means “against”. Both translations are the main keywords for this game. Also, Nojima described the game as "Myth Versus Reality".
So it doesn't need to rely on XIII to describe itself.

dramatis

I'd think so, especially since the only Murdered and Thief are the only two currently announced games from their western studios. And we're still waiting for the action-RPG from Square Japan that was teased back in 2011 to resurface
You still waiting for that? I assume it has been cancelled after the 14 debacle that required all hands on deck to fix.

You always lose your E3 bet though, how can we trust you?

Zoator

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the story. It is still rooted in the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos and lore, which in my opinion is very well conceived. FFXIII itself didn't execute on that mythos to its full potential due to a relatively weak plot and a spotty script, but the themes and concepts themselves that were presented in the game were great. I trust Nojima and Nomura with scenario writing more-so than Toriyama and Watanabe, so I'm excited to see their take on those concepts.

Secondly I'm excited for the gameplay itself, as it sounds like we're finally going to get something more akin to the world map that has been absent since the PS1 days. In an interview, Kitase stated that world maps have fallen out of favor as hardware advanced, because it was difficult to keep a realistic perspective of the characters and the world when the environments are so detailed. However, he added this towards the end of his response (The interview is with a banned site, so I can't link the source, sorry):

Before, if you wanted to achieve all that it’s obviously going to be very expensive of course. But for Final Fantasy Versus XIII we are trying to implement a worldwide view while maintaining that realistic view. It’s a big challenge, but we’re trying our best to make that work.

So I'm pretty excited by the overworld prospects. Of course if the rumors are true that this has become a PS4 project, that would likely remove a lot of the technical burden in making this vision a reality.

Famassu

lol, looks like they made hd towns but forgot to populate them (going by the old trailer)
They've talked about having the city streets full of people when they were still in the prototyping phase of development (at least testing some kind of AI algorithms). The trailer showed it at night with the city under attack and possibly overrun by enemy troops & monsters, the citizens would've presumably fled inside.

Famassu

I'd think so, especially since the only Murdered and Thief are the only two currently announced games from their western studios. And we're still waiting for the action-RPG from Square Japan that was teased back in 2011 to resurface

ue3semy7ni.png

Pretty sure this game was one of those that was cancelled by Square Enix after Wada announced he's stepping down after the bad fiscal year results and they announced they had cancelled the development of some internal projects. I hope not but I'd wager this is one of the strongest suspects for it.

Versus XIII World Map:

[IG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PpMpmG-Uug4/UQGOkezd_QI/AAAAAAAAIsw/IBAlguTdS38/s1600/ibc6kMRTtDVa7p.gif[/IMG] [MG]http://i.imgur.com/hGi1gkh.gif[/IMG]

They actually did have a worldmap like Zoator described, there was even a scan of board in Square's offices that had s screen of it. But Nomura said that they changed it because it looked strange given the visual style that they were going for.

Zoator

Versus XIII World Map:

ibc6kMRTtDVa7p.gif
hGi1gkh.gif

Yes, this is the kind of thing I'm hoping for, except extended seamlessly for the entire world. Every FF since X has made use of realistic 3D environments, but they were always segregated into sections, and just connected at very specific points. My dream is to have a world map that looks like the gifs you posted, be able to get into an airship, fly around to another location on the map, land, and continue walking around without seeing a loading screen.

Exentryk

My dream is to have a world map that looks like the gifs you posted, be able to get into an airship, fly around to another location on the map, land, and continue walking around without seeing a loading screen.

Requires lots of RAM. Maybe the PS4 FF if we're lucky...

Zoator

Requires lots of RAM. Maybe the PS4 FF if we're lucky...

Yea, which is why I got excited when I heard the rumor that Versus was moved to PS4 completely (and renamed XV). If it is indeed cross-gen, then that kind of puts a damper on that. Nomura did state that you will be able to fly an airship around the world -- the question at this point is will it be seamless, or will it be more akin to Dragon Quest VIII where you fly over a lower-fidelity representation of the world, and then upon landing are snapped to an appropriate location in the real world map after a loading screen. Honestly I'd be happy with either, but the seamless approach would just be incredible if they could pull it off.

Soriku

Yea, which is why I got excited when I heard the rumor that Versus was moved to PS4 completely (and renamed XV). If it is indeed cross-gen, then that kind of puts a damper on that. Nomura did state that you will be able to fly an airship around the world -- the question at this point is will it be seamless, or will it be more akin to Dragon Quest VIII where you fly over a lower-fidelity representation of the world, and then upon landing are snapped to an appropriate location in the real world map after a loading screen. Honestly I'd be happy with either, but the seamless approach would just be incredible if they could pull it off.

Well, Nomura said the world would be seamless outside of loading for different areas. So I assume it wouldn't make a difference with an airship. No idea if that means that they'll have a low fidelity world while flying like in DQ VIII as you said though. It might be possible that that's not the case, but there will still be loading between large areas (like Xenoblade I guess).

RAM and PS3 isn't the problem...there are plenty of open world games on PS3. Infamous, Red Faction Guerrilla, GTAIV, GTAV, Just Cause 2 etc etc. Square Enix could have easily released an open world game for PS3, they have the resources after-all...

But yea, a PS4 open world game will blow any PS3 open world game out of the park...I can't wait to see what they have done with this game.

Zoator

RAM and PS3 isn't the problem...there are plenty of open world games on PS3. Infamous, Red Faction Guerrilla, GTAIV, GTAV, Just Cause 2 etc etc. Square Enix could have easily released an open world game for PS3, they have the resources after-all...

But yea, a PS4 open world game will blow any PS3 open world game out of the park...I can't wait to see what they have done with this game.

It's not the open-world nature that makes RAM a problem, it's the amount of world that you're showing at any given time, and how quickly you can move around the world. If you can't store large amounts of assets in memory, those things become a problem.

It's not the open-world nature that makes RAM a problem, it's the amount of world that you're showing at any given time, and how quickly you can move around the world. If you can't store large amounts of assets in memory, those things become a problem.

that's what level of detail is for and in most ps360 games, it's set to low (a lot of pop ins are present)

Takuan

PS3 - Vanilla release with performance issues, DLC
PS4 - Delayed release, 30 FPS locked w/high-res textures, improved load times, comes with all PS3 DLC

Plausible.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Uh.... That was never official. I thought we weren't going to do it because we'd be on the same side.

Oh, I already declared it official. So if there's no DLC (Last Mission does not count because we know it most likely won't show up), then I pick your avatar. :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh, I already declared it official. So if there's no DLC (Last Mission does not count because we know it most likely won't show up), then I pick your avatar. :)

Oh you're joking. Whew. I thought I was going to lose an avatar bet I didn't even make. LOL.

ULTROS!

No I'm not joking.

I'll prep your Chocolina Jude avatar soon though.

Top Bottom