• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Uncertain For E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiegel

According to Tetsuya Nomura, changes to world map system may cause slippage.

"We were hoping to debut it at E3, but we're not sure now."

The slippage appears to be due to some changes that are being made to the world map system. "For displaying characters on the world map, we were originally planning on using the method used by FF#, with a small Noctus running about on the screen. But that didn't look too great, so we ended up switching to the method used by FF#."

Those "#" signs are presumably meant to be the roman numerals of certain games in the main Final Fantasy series, but Famitsu had to block them out. Both Famitsu and Nomura agreed that the change is a major one.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/17/ff_versus_xiii_may_miss_e3/.

Uh oh

RavenFox

Banned
Not a big deal. We have the 13 and 14 to fuss with for now. Would love a world map though and lots of flying ships:D

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It didn't look good in 7 either, but I preferred that over FFX's World Map.

Why not do something like DQVIII with the general detail level of Shadow of the Colossus/GTA?

I certainly hope they aren't abandoning the idea of a world map - especially after some of what had been said, that sounded like it was fairly integral to a lot of the design they were doing.

My guess is that if they're making changes like that, it may be due to budget cuts instead of aesthetics, which is troubling.

Cmagus

so because of the world map you cant show gameplay or anything else unless the game takes place on a giant map im not surprised that they aren't showing anything wouldn't be anything new as of recent with square.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I trust that this is being done to enhance the game some, so I got no problems with a small delay, but couldn't they show off some areas that aren't the world map?

Dear Nomura,

Breath of Fire III had the best world map EVER!!!!!

Take what Capcom did and improve upon it. I guarantee it better then what ever you're planning to do. (unless there is no world map and you can walk / chocobo anywhere and not FF12's you hit the end of an area and MAGICAL jump to the next area)

Elios83

They removed the world map because they were so impressed by FFXIII that they wanted to follow suit!! :lol :lol :lol

Now this is getting pathetic, SE is completely out of touch, saw this coming since X-2.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh Nomura. :lol

Remember that he said Versus XIII won't appear in Jump Festa and TGS in any form?

I have a feeling they're going for the FFXII mapping.

Calcaneus

Elios83 said:
They removed the world map because they were so impressed by FFXIII that they wanted to follow suit!! :lol :lol :lol

Now this is getting pathetic, SE is completely out of touch, saw this coming since X-2.
They aren't throwing out the map, they are just changing it.

Paracelsus

Calcaneus said:
They aren't throwing out the map, they are just changing it.

The interview censored at which FF they are inspiring themselves for the world map. If it's FFXIII then it's a metaphor for "there is no world map at all".

Kinan

Please, Nomura/SE, dont change the world map. I'm perfectly fine with a small Noctus running around, and dont care how stupid it looks. :p Lists sucks. :p

Fucking fire the entire Square Enix console division, let the FFXI & FFXIV group continue what theyre doing and promote the PSP team to being in charge of console outings. Its just fucking embarassing at this point. When Artoon and Feelplus are making grander more cohesive RPG experiences in HD, you know you've gone wrong somewhere :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe they wanted to go for the FFVII map but they changed it to the FFVIII style of mapping.

Or even FFIX!

KZObsessed

"For displaying characters on the world map, we were originally planning on using the method used by FF#, with a small Noctus running about on the screen. But that didn't look too great, so we ended up switching to the method used by FF#."

Ahh shit

As long as there is still some free-roaming and exploration like the good ol days. I'm playing through FFVII and VIII on PSP now and I remember the first time I discovered the materia caves, Lucrecia's Cave, KotR Island, first time seeing Ultimate Weapon flying around, the Deep Sea Research facility or the surprise at stumbling across Galbadia Garden and Ellone's ship just docked somewhere, the first time I saw Esthar and trying to figure out a way to break through the barriers. The new Final Fantasy games have been completely lacking in these moments.

;_;

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ULTROS! said:
Maybe they wanted to go for the FFVII map but they changed it to the FFVIII style of mapping.

Or even FFIX!
How do the maps work on those?
The ideal situation for myself would be akin to SO3 where you could run around to your next destination fighting off some monsters to get a little of the grinding out of the way, and trigger some events.

Then make a big ass overworld map where it would take 10 years just to get from one place to another instead of looking like giants on it ;D

grumble

The list-based map has major issues. One of the draws for an FF game is exploring the world map and finding all the little spots, secrets, treasure hunts, etc. With a list, that feature is far less prevalent.

jett

D-Member
"We were hoping to debut it at E3, but we're not sure now."

This game is never coming out, is it. It's the Gran Turismo 5 of RPGs.

The slippage appears to be due to some changes that are being made to the world map system. "For displaying characters on the world map, we were originally planning on using the method used by FF#, with a small Noctus running about on the screen. But that didn't look too great, so we ended up switching to the method used by FF#."

=

"For displaying characters on the world map, we were originally planning on using the method used by FF7, with a small Noctus running about on the screen. But that didn't look too great, so we ended up switching to the method used by FFXII."

YES

"For displaying characters on the world map, we were originally planning on using the method used by FF7, with a small Noctus running about on the screen. But that didn't look too great, so we ended up switching to the method used by FFX."

Eat shit and die Nomura, seriously.

ULTROS!

InfiniteNine said:
How do the maps work on those?
The ideal situation for myself would be akin to SO3 where you could run around to your next destination fighting off some monsters to get a little of the grinding out of the way, and trigger some events.

I think FFXII is the closest map for that.

I know there are like... 4 types of maps from the FF series (not including Tactics)

FFI-FFVI - 2D Map
FFVII - FFIX - First generation 3D map
FFXI-FFXII - Open field map
FFX and FFXIII - Linear/Minimal field map

I'm definitely fine with the open field map though, since it looks much more suitable for Versus XIII tbh.

Mr_Brit

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I think FFXII is the closest map for that.

I know there are like... 4 types of maps from the FF series (not including Tactics)

FFVII - FFIX - First generation 3D map
FFX and FFXIII - Linear/Minimal field map

Either of these two would be good. Anything else and the game can die.

jett

D-Member
On a serious note, how can they not have decided on this yet? Squeenix is run by fucking monkeys, I swear.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Definitely sounds like they are adopting the World Map as Menu style from FFX/X-2, which I wouldn't have a problem with.

Feelplus+ tried resurrecting the traditional dynamic world map in Lost Odyssey but honestly did it really add anything to the overall experience? It didn't do much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom