• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Uncertain For E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Grand Theft Auto can have a massive, to-scale world map, there's no reason FF Versus XIII shouldn't be able to do the same. I'd rather have it FFXII style than FFVII style (tiny town icons you walk up to are silly) but honestly, it should be doable as something fully streaming AND fully to-scale.

jett

D-Member
Spiegel said:
Making the map menu based wouldn't cause slippage. Right?

They must be doing it like FFXII

True...

Still, I was hoping for a classic FF approach, but FFXII-style would be awesome.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jett said:
On a serious note, how can they not have decided on this yet? Squeenix is run by fucking monkeys, I swear.
I give your performance a very high score for presentation. You really wowed us with your dramatic interpretation, but perhaps in your free skate you would like to perform another jumping pass or two.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
BTW guys, have you ever thought how would they implement an action RPG ala Kingdom Hearts into an FFVII overworld map?

It could be like Tales of the Abyss (wherein there's a map, the enemies appear and chase you, then an open battle field loads and you do KH stuff)

or it could be you can see the enemies in a zoomed-out scale and smash them with tiny Noctis.

KZObsessed

Spiegel said:
Making the map menu based wouldn't cause slippage. Right?

They must be doing it like FFXII

That's a good point, I'd happily take that. As long as it's not like FFX/XIII and as long as there are still a lot of secrets to discover.

DMPrince said:
Then make a big ass overworld map where it would take 10 years just to get from one place to another instead of looking like giants on it ;D

:lol

They can just minimally increase the scale, touch up the graphics a bit and keep your party Avatar running around. It's old school but it still works.....well

You are Cloud. See Cloud head. Make Cloud run. Go to town. Repeat.

Haunted

ULTROS! said:
I know there are like... 4 types of maps from the FF series (not including Tactics)

FFI-FFVI - 2D Map
FFVII - FFIX - First generation 3D map
FFXI-FFXII - Open field map
FFX and FFXIII - Linear/Minimal field map
Yeah, there's only one way they can really screw this up, I'd be fine with pretty much any of those (it won't be 2D :lol ) except the X/XIII/The Last Remnant list-picture world map.

My personal favourite are the PS1 style ones, really enhanced my enjoyment of Blue Dragon.

Mr_Brit

Banned
badcrumble said:
If Grand Theft Auto can have a massive, to-scale world map, there's no reason FF Versus XIII shouldn't be able to do the same. I'd rather have it FFXII style than FFVII style (tiny town icons you walk up to are silly) but honestly, it should be doable as something fully streaming AND fully to-scale.

SMH. Liberty City is possibly 1/25 of the size of a normal FF World, probably 1/100 the size. This would be practically impossible to do without resorting to using a random world generator every time you step out of a city.

As a result the only two systems which would make sense would be either FFVII, FFX or FFXII's overworlds and I'll be damned if Nomura chooses the latter option.

Widge

badcrumble said:

I can see something like an FFXII scenario, which is basically linked arenas, but can't really see something like FF7's world maps brought up to scale. Just too huge, especially to render to any sort of detail. If you think of San Andreas, imagine running across expanses like that early game without any vehicles. Would take forever, especially when you factor in the fights. Plus you want a world that doesn't look ridiculously small when flying around in an airship....

Mr_Brit said:
SMH. Liberty City is possibly 1/25 of the size of a normal FF World, probably 1/100 the size. This would be practically impossible to do without resorting to using a random world generator every time you step out of a city.

I was thinking something more like GTA:SA sized. Also, how long does it take you to walk all the way across Liberty City?
Widge said:
I can see something like an FFXII scenario, which is basically linked arenas, but can't really see something like FF7's world maps brought up to scale. Just too huge, especially to render to any sort of detail. If you think of San Andreas, imagine running across expanses like that early game without any vehicles. Would take forever, especially when you factor in the fights. Plus you want a world that doesn't look ridiculously small when flying around in an airship....
I don't know, I think it could be done at about the same general level of detail as Shadow of the Colossus' overworld map. Bear in mind that Versus pretty clearly has one Midgar/Esthar-esque megacity and that the rest of the towns are probably small.

Regarding vehicles - who's to say you won't have them from the start?

Haunted

finalfantasyx2_091603_worldmap_01_640w.jpg

never again

Here's hoping they're not changing it to that.

ZephyrFate said:
The Greek God of Night?
nvm, I'm dumb. I just now realised that he's simply referring to the main character's name. :lol

Damn Nomura and his esoteric naming conventions!

Do it Nomura, DO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

ZephyrFate said:
The Greek God of Night?

Nyx is the night goddess....

Mr_Brit said:
As a result the only two systems which would make sense would be either FFVII, FFX or FFXII's overworlds and I'll be damned if Nomura chooses the latter option.

Why?

Would it be too engaging?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wouldn't it be cool if each city of Versus XIII is the size of GTA (or smaller, like 1/6) and you can enter every building? :D

I still found FFXII's world map aspect lacking. The open world aspect was great, but then the List of Airship Ports broke any sort of cohesive world. One of the most exciting things stated about Versus was that you get your own airship and pilot it across the world maps ala FF7-9's and even DQ8's 3d world maps. Isn't that now in jeopardy?

Fimbulvetr said:

Why?

Well, I know that, but I figured Noctis had been given the title of a God like everything else back then, but apparently it's just a Latin form of Nyx.

Widge

long enough. considering that is just one expanse of city. you'd need to put distance between cities too. Then what are you populating cities with? You usually only get to see segments of the city as the game wants to show you in an FF, with a roamable one, you'd have to factor in loads of chaff to bulk it out and make it to scale. Then there is the actual navigation of that city.

I can see how the "small avatar" is the way to go for world maps, but I can also see why this isn't desired. You get no environmental detail.

Haunted said:
finalfantasyx2_091603_worldmap_01_640w.jpg

never again

Here's hoping they're not changing it to that.

No interaction but shouldnt something like that take LESS time to create? Certainly not enough to delay a game since it's just a list with event triggers

Mr_Brit

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

Why?

FFXII left such a bitter taste in my mouth that anything from that team/universe/gameplay behind it will instantly gain my scorn.

On another note, why is it that FFXII was so different from any other FF before it. It didn't have any similar themes, no real romance, unclear lead protagonist, non original world and worst of all a non sensical story line with no engaging scenarios etc... What exactly happened?

ULTROS!

Shadowlink said:
Says the one that will do anything to Nomura. :p

I know! :p

Nomura > Yoshi

Scale is irrelevant, I'm referring to the whole thing being one world map, not chunks of continents with mystery shit in between relegated to cutscene. Flying around that full world in either an airship or as a magical bird goddess is what I am talking about. Seeing gigantic events occur on the world map such as the Weapons in FF7 and Esthar in FF8 had such great impact that when theyre relegated to non-interactive cutscenes its yet another tickbox in the "shoulda been a movie then" SE parade of cluelessness.

Himuro said:
What's wrong with X-2's approach? It allows you to go to every location in the game from the very beginning while still employing a HEAVY dose of exploration.
It wouldn't fit a new FF universe whatsoever. X-2 is about revisiting areas you've already been to in an earlier game and seeing how they've changed (and it's also all about sidequests that are largely restricted to those locations). There's no sense of wonder at discovering a new area because there isn't supposed to be.

Himuro said:
So basically you have the ability to hold intellectual discourse and the brains of a 2 year old.
How does this conclusion you've come to make any sense? A person can absolutely dislike everything FFXII brought to the table and be a rational, intelligent human being.

Mr_Brit said:
On another note,1) why is it that FFXII was so different from any other FF before it.2) It didn't have any similar themes, 3) no real romance, 4) unclear lead protagonist, 5) non original world and worst of all 6) a non sensical story line with no engaging scenarios etc... What exactly happened?

1) Because half of it was written by someone with a different writing style than the other SE writers, the other half was nonexistent.

2) See 1.

3) Neither did FFs I-V.

4) Square execs interfered with the writer.

5) And?

6) Nonsensical? Please, it made sense, it's just that half of the story is literally missing. Hell you seem to be implying that other FF stories make sense. :lol

Himuro said:
Scale is not irrelevant. That's what many want. A 3d map with a little guy and big head poppng out of a forest and a town as small as the character are not the direction people want.

People want this

dragon-quest-8.jpg
That was for isolated areas, though. Once you got the ship, the normal world map style came back in to play.

ZephyrFate said:
How does this conclusion you've come to make any sense? A person can absolutely dislike everything FFXII brought to the table and be a rational, intelligent human being.
Disliking a world map system because FFXII did it that way and you dislike FFXII is rational and intelligent? Really?

I hear Versus is going to take place in the third person and you'll be able to equip swords - two more rational and intelligent reasons to hate it, apparently.

jett

D-Member
Himuro said:
What's wrong with X-2's approach? It allows you to go to every location in the game from the very beginning while still employing a HEAVY dose of exploration.

Shut up.

ShockingAlberto said:
That was for isolated areas, though. Once you got the ship, the normal world map style came back in to play.

Precisely. And thats what FFXII was missing. What was once interactive got relegated to menus. DQ8 had the perfect implementation of the jRPG world map. And it was outsourced :D

Theres plenty of ways they could still implement the off-scale world map into Versus, which would involve making design decisions such as vehicle only traversal through them. Fuck, half of all the footage shown has been them swanning about in limo's, why not make that part of the game?

badcrumble said:
Disliking a world map system because FFXII did it that way and you dislike FFXII is rational and intelligent? Really?

I hear Versus is going to take place in the third person and you'll be able to equip swords - two more rational and intelligent reasons to hate it, apparently.
With the absolute boredom I had traversing the long stretches of FFXII's world? Sure, I can understand why the two can be linked.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
1) Because half of it was written by someone with a different writing style than the other SE writers, the other half was nonexistent.

2) See 1.

3) Neither did FFs I-V.

4) Square execs interfered with the writer.

5) And?

6) Nonsensical? Please, it made sense, it's just that half of the story is literally missing. Hell you seem to be implying that other FF stories make sense. :lol

So you agree that the game was half finished non gameplaywise. Gameplay wise the game was terrible, it basically played itself. Also FFX had a very straightforward storyline and so did Crisis Core, try harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom