• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Won't Be at TGS + Other S-E TGS Line-up News

Nix

Banned
Izayoi said:
Watch it finally come out in like two years and be awful.

Now why would you do that. =(

A pox on you. A POX ON YOU!
I hate that you make a valid point.

Diablos

Wow, Versus should just be scrapped at this point. I'd like to play it before I turn 30. I don't think that is going to happen.

Izayoi

Banned
Nix said:
Now why would you do that. =(

A pox on you. A POX ON YOU!
I hate that you make a valid point.
I hit you because I love you.

Putting this out of sight and out of mind, and then, if it ever does come out, going into it with zero expectations is going to be a far more pleasant experience than being hyped as shit about it for years.

Search your heart, for you know it to be true.

Diablos said:
Wow, Versus should just be scrapped at this point. I'd like to play it before I turn 30. I don't think that is going to happen.

That's a bit hard to say from the outside. How big is it their team is? I always heard small but never any actual number. If it's team ico small then it's no surprise that it's taking so long.

Izayoi said:
I hit you because I love you.

Putting this out of sight and out of mind, and then, if it ever does come out, going into it with zero expectations is going to be a far more pleasant experience than being hyped as shit about it for years.

Search your heart, for you know it to be true.

At the moment I expect it to be bad, the actual gameplay scenes we saw in that trailer looked appalling, but I sure hope it won't be.

Aeana

Diablos said:
I would have liked to play it before 30, too. Sadly it's too late for that. (._. )

Did you guys REALLY thought that we were going to see Versus this TGS with FFXIII-2 ?

Of course not, their focus on FFXIII-2 now.... and we won't see a thing about Versus till after the release of FFXIII-2.

Remember back then FFXIII? we didn't actually see the media blow out till the year 2009 the same year as the Japaneses release date.

So relax... we will have our time with Versus next year... and stop complaining and making jokes all the time, we will be rewarded .

The Praiseworthy said:
Did you guys REALLY thought that we were going to see Versus this TGS with FFXIII-2 ?

Of course not, their focus on FFXIII-2 now.... and we won't see a thing about Versus till after the release of FFXIII-2.

Yeah, I guess it was obvious that they wouldn't show it given that there's another big FF game already. But it's still disappointing.

Sadly, it may not be as disappointing as how the actual game may turn to be like. But here's hoping that Versus XIII is, at least, the last great FF game. It's not like they don't have time to plan and polish it.

This is not surprising in the least. I've never had much hype for this due to the lack of info, but if it isn't godly, then Square is done for on consoles.

With that said, bring on Type-0 and KH3D for me.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Philanthropist said:
Yeah, I guess it was obvious that they wouldn't show it given that there's another big FF game already. But it's still disappointing.

Sadly, it may not be as disappointing as how the actual game may turn to be like. But here's hoping that Versus XIII is, at least, the last great FF game. It's not like they don't have time to plan and polish it.
Why would you hope for that?
extralite said:
Considering that they renamed Agito this might be definitely a possibility. I mean the V in XV even serves as an initial to the earlier Versus monicker and they could avoid the spin-off trap. Only problem is that the action RPG style has never been done before in a mainline FF game. And let's not forget the harsh reactions to the early action version of DQIX.
The FFXII battle style was a big change up from what had come before.

thuway

People make lame jokes about GT5 never coming out. What about this game? It was announced over FIVE years ago.

jaxword

thuway said:
People make lame jokes about GT5 never coming out. What about this game? It was announced over FIVE years ago.

The jokes are always lame regardless of game, but that doesn't stop internet rage.

This is a shot in the dark here, but i'm calling it now

Final Fantasy THEATRhythm is Haeresis XIII rebranded, just like Agito was.

It would make sense though, given Haeresis was the last 13 game to be revealed IIRC

jaxword

Nora Kisaragi said:

It would make sense though, given Haeresis was the last 13 game to be revealed IIRC

Interesting theory. Though that logo doesn't look anything like a rhythm game, looks more like...riding beasts.

Here's the neogaf thread about Haeresis:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3331495

I notice something interesting, the same people saying the same thing about how Square is dead to them. Over and over, never fails.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nora Kisaragi said:

Given the name and that it was trademarked at the same time as Versus and Agito, I'm guessing that Haeresis was just FFXIII, but they decided that giving XIII a subtitle wasn't a great idea.

Shikoro

1272069741077i7e3.jpg

Seriously, who didn't see this coming?

jaxword

Drealmcc0y said:
I think this has a chance of being the biggest flop in gaming history

Pretty sure people said this 10 years ago when Kingdom Hearts was announced for the first time.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
Given the name and that it was trademarked at the same time as Versus and Agito, I'm guessing that Haeresis was just FFXIII, but they decided that giving XIII a subtitle wasn't a great idea.
Maybe that happened when they realized that they couldn't release the three FFXIIIs in the same period of time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Square has 2 *TWO* full-scale FF titles due for release in Japan this year, so where's the logic in trotting out a third title and further diluting their sales pitch?

Come on folks, apply a little reason to your arguments. There is no advantage in promoting Versus XIII until XIII-2 is out the door. You might not like it, but you have to accept that XIII-2 has taken the spot on SE's release slate everyone presumed was set aside for Versus, and as such development/promotion has been pushed back so as to avoid self competition.

Its unthinkable for them to do otherwise.

I see absolutely no problem with this, I'd rather they take all the time they need.
But I am surprised that some people didn't see this coming.

It's not like SE are not releasing any other (FF) game, they're releasing TWO full-title this year! Why are ppl just selectively ignoring them?
Whatever the case, Type-0 & FFXIII-2 will keep me busy til mid-2012.

Kagari said:
Their confirmed TGS titles are XIII-2, Type-0, KH3D and Theatrhythm. They'll have the open mega theater again, and the PVs will eventually be released on the web.
I thought Slime Morimori 3 was confirmed too?

Defuser

FFXIII-2 this, FFXIII-2 that. I blame XIII-2, they shouldn't have made a sequel to it nor gave a chance to Toriyama after XIII.

Lyonaz

There is no Versus, they've been working on FFVIIremake for a stealth release with the 25th anniversary next year! Versus is just their techdemo for the remake engine. :p

Man S-E so crazy...

Drealmcc0y said:
I think this has a chance of being the biggest flop in gaming history

There's no way that'll happen. I'll just point you toward Daikatana, APB, and Shenmue. Daikatana and Shenmue flopped so hard that they ruined people's careers/reputations. And APB had a 100m budget.

I have to say I honestly don't care either way anymore. Announcing things so far out tends to give a fatigue about games that makes it such.

XIII-2 first. Then start the hype cycle for Versus.
I ain't even mad. It would be folly to try to drum up both games at the same time.

Lesson is hopefully learned: Don't announce games you don't plan to start working on for years afterwards.
The idea of FNC was noble on paper, but just a marketing nightmare in practice.

Edge_Maverick said:
He also says something about Kingdom Hearts 3D, but his comment is full of blanks, making it difficult to figure out what he's saying.

hahahahahah hoooooool-ie shit!

Vague statements, secret showing dates, closed theaters, MADLIBS game details??!?!?!?!?

is this real life?

FJ0372

Sorry this is off topic but I don't know where else to post it; What is the difference between Final Fantasy 13-2 and Final Fantasy versus 13?

djplaeskool said:
Lesson is hopefully learned: Don't announce games you don't plan to start working on for years afterwards.
The idea of FNC was noble on paper, but just a marketing nightmare in practice.

The snag that they ran into is that the Crystal Engine took a lot longer to develop than they originally thought it would. Nomura said early on that Versus development wouldn't start until that engine was completed. Square just needs to stop announcing multiple FF games at once. They did that years ago when they announced FFIX, FFX, and FFXI together. That worked out a lot better for them (FFXI was only delayed by a year), but they never should've been announced like that.

FJ0372 said:
Sorry this is off topic but I don't know where else to post it; What is the difference between Final Fantasy 13-2 and Final Fantasy versus 13?

FFXIII-2 = direct sequel to FFXIII

FFvsXIII = completely separate project that (as of now) shares similar themes/mythos with the XIII universe. Totally different characters & world, supposedly.

TheJollyCorner said:
FFXIII-2 = direct sequel to FFXIII

FFvsXIII = completely separate project that (as of now) shares similar themes/mythos with the XIII universe. Totally different characters & world, supposedly.
This is why they need to change the name. It's a marketing nightmare. Even the fans don't quite understand it.

Jerk

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Ooh, so there's more?

Hope they follow up the 20th anniversary having a remake of Final Fantasy IV and do a remake of Final Fantasy V.

God I hope so. V is long overdo for a remake.

FJ0372

H_Prestige said:
This is why they need to change the name. It's a marketing nightmare. Even the fans don't quite understand it.

Ah thanks guys, I agree with the need to change the name. Me and my brother own every final fantasy game (from 1-13, none of the others) except like 3 of them, then we started to discuss getting these and realized we have no idea what they even are haha.

It seems pretty simple to me. A name change would probably be welcome, though. They have plenty of time to think about that, apparently. :p

Top Bottom