• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Announced For PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosehole

I'll admit they trolled me hard. I actually thought it was happening.

After really thinking about it though, I'm not sure I even want a FFVII remake. What makes anyone think Square in it's current state would be able to do it properly?

I mean it would probably take 6 or 7 years after the announcement to release, Lightning would probably be in it, they would probably ruin all the music, there would be 5,000 individual pieces of costume DLC, and the voice acting would probably be all wrong.

misterF

Neo Member
I actually blame Sony more than Square Enix on this one.

It's possible that Square Enix were expecting this port to please the fans and were legitimately unaware of the reaction this announcement would cause. From their point of view, PS4 doesn't support PS1 titles, so porting the PC version could be considered a gesture for the fans that would like to play the title on PS4. The way it was announced on the PSX keynote stage was completely over the top and unnecessary, but Square being a Japanese company and the speaker not being fluent in English, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the over-enthusiastic way in which the message was delivered wasn't intentional.

Sony however should have known better. First, this was their event so there's no way they weren't aware of what Square was going to announce. Secondly, from the 4thegamers hash tag to the "building the list" initiative, from Adam Boyes asking for GAF's input for his speech at the keynote to Shuhei Yoshida appearing on podcasts and streaming games, Sony have been projecting this image of being in touch with their fanbase. Which is why I find it absolutely baffling that they gave Square Enix the green light to announce the port on stage the way they did. As a lot of people have said, a simple post on the PS Blog would have been more appropriate and may even have been well received. What I find baffling is that either they knew how fans would react and went with it anyway, or they didn't and that would mean they're not as in touch with their fans as they appear to be.

I'll admit they trolled me hard. I actually thought it was happening.

After really thinking about it though, I'm not sure I even want a FFVII remake. What makes anyone think Square in it's current state would be able to do it properly?

I mean it would probably take 6 or 7 years after the announcement to release, Lightning would probably be in it, they would probably ruin all the music, there would be 5,000 individual pieces of costume DLC, and the voice acting would probably be all wrong.

They wouldn't have to do anything gameplay wise. It would just be a vast rebuilding of the combat system graphics engine, redrawing the pre-rendered backgrounds and redoing the overworld graphics. Gameplay wise, wouldn't have to touch it. It's the greatest JRPG for a reason and that included the awesome fast paced and tactical ATB battle system.

Could you imagine Knights of the Round summon with FFXV level engine? Ah man. Would be sweet.

Dream is dead to me though. They can kiss off after this heartless, idiotic, careless, mindless " announcement " of a 20 year old port. And wtf was Sont thinking giving stage time for it.

I dunno. Time to move on zi guess.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wouldn't be as bad if they updated the characters are bit but, damn what a kick in the ball's

Nephtes

I'm still disappointed that the crowd didn't boo SE off the stage. Maybe they were just in shock. lol

Agreed.

Maybe MS after the loss of SFV will give SE money to make the remake everyone really wants.
MS is tight with SE right? What with the Tomb Raider deal...

Dark_castle

I actually blame Sony more than Square Enix on this one.

It's possible that Square Enix were expecting this port to please the fans and were legitimately unaware of the reaction this announcement would cause. From their point of view, PS4 doesn't support PS1 titles, so porting the PC version could be considered a gesture for the fans that would like to play the title on PS4. The way it was announced on the PSX keynote stage was completely over the top and unnecessary, but Square being a Japanese company and the speaker not being fluent in English, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the over-enthusiastic way in which the message was delivered wasn't intentional.

Sony however should have known better. First, this was their event so there's no way they weren't aware of what Square was going to announce. Secondly, from the 4thegamers hash tag to the "building the list" initiative, from Adam Boyes asking for GAF's input for his speech at the keynote to Shuhei Yoshida appearing on podcasts and streaming games, Sony have been projecting this image of being in touch with their fanbase. Which is why I find it absolutely baffling that they gave Square Enix the green light to announce the port on stage the way they did. As a lot of people have said, a simple post on the PS Blog would have been more appropriate and may even have been well received. What I find baffling is that either they knew how fans would react and went with it anyway, or they didn't and that would mean they're not as in touch with their fans as they appear to be.

I blame both of them equally. SE may have decided to port FF7 to PS4, but it was also Sony that greenlighted the reveal of a port on the keynote. Both parties should be ashamed for that.

Neff

They wouldn't have to do anything gameplay wise. It would just be a vast rebuilding of the combat system graphics engine, redrawing the pre-rendered backgrounds and redoing the overworld graphics. Gameplay wise, wouldn't have to touch it. It's the greatest JRPG for a reason and that included the awesome fast paced and tactical ATB battle system.

Kitase has said in the past that if he ever seriously got the chance to do a remake, he'd overhaul the combat system so as be able to offer something new and fresh. In fact, they'd probably redo absolutely everything.

Why is Square so willing to take apart sprite game like what they did to FF6, but won't alter the 3d games.

Remaking a 2D game is a hundred times easier, or at least less difficult, to do.

Mikey Jr.

Was thinking about playing ff7 a few weeks ago.

Guess I'll wait for this garbage.......

Hopefully its not stupid expensive.

Papacheeks

Banned

Could you imagine Knights of the Round summon with FFXV level engine? Ah man. Would be sweet.

Dream is dead to me though. They can kiss off after this heartless, idiotic, careless, mindless " announcement " of a 20 year old port. And wtf was Sont thinking giving stage time for it.

Would be cool if they did do the remake with updated engine, backgrounds, and fighting that they make it more like FFVX but have the option to play combat in classic mode.

Valentus

I really don't understand why square-enix are so reticent to make a remaster of this game.

Just upgrade the character and monster models, upgrade the map textures, add some new materias, an extra dungeon with the ghost of Genesis as secret boss, hell, even delete all CGI and make it real time with the upgraded aesthetics and that's it, 1 million copies worldwide guaranteed.

And i really don't understand more why sony dont offer fund part of the game, since a remaster of FFVII is a secure success.

Unfortunately they don't even have the original assets to redraw said graphics so in essence they're rebuilding everything from scratch. Simply put, if SE wanted to remake or even update FFVII it would end up being a major undertaking.

nasos_333

Unfortunately they don't even have the original assets to redraw said graphics so in essence they're rebuilding everything from scratch. Simply put, if SE wanted to remake or even update FFVII it would end up being a major undertaking.

Wouldnt they have kept the original material ?

Also wont the PSN version bought in PS3 work in PSN on PS4 ???

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wouldnt they have kept the original material ?

Also wont the PSN version bought in PS3 work in PSN on PS4 ???

They didn't, read up on the end of production of FF7, it was a huge cluster fuck. The master assets were never compiled and achieved.

Jashobeam

alright, we all need to get the remake at the top of Sony 3rd Party Productions' list. With Yakuza 5 getting localized, anything is possible.

Port of the PC version?

tDXwZIY.gif

I should have just read down before clicking the link.

I got all excited for nothing at all. Fuck.

Would be cool if they did do the remake with updated engine, backgrounds, and fighting that they make it more like FFVX but have the option to play combat in classic mode.

Yeh this is the only way I could accept a gameplay change of an absolute classic. Allow us to choose.

Its weird that they would take a classic and change it for .... no reason whatsoever. They have done such a piss poor job with the latest combat systems, I would not trust them to do the change properly and would end up killing one of the main aspects of the original classic.

Nah, would much rather them not touch the combat system. That would be disastrous.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This is the sole reason why there will never be an FFVII remake.

The reason there will never be one is square is completely incompitant at the managment level and does not have the ability to do it without blowing the whole budget. Any other high quality developer would have already delivered a remake, some likely being able to meet fans desires.

Honesly with what they have done with crisis core and advent children, they have no issue with assets.

SDCowboy

At this point, I wouldn't mind a slightly updated FF7 with voice acting. Honestly the biggest reason I haven't gone back to the game after all these years is the insane amount of reading...and I don't care if I get flamed for that. :p

So, I was sitting on my couch. SE douchebag comes out, I get excited. He says 17 years, I squeal inside like a tween at a Bieber concert. They start showing ff7 footage and my skin starts tingling. Can this really be it?

No, of couse not. Fuck you everyone!!! Fkn SE. This is so insulting. Everyone of the execs that were part of this decision need to choke on a giant bag of moldy dicks.

alright, we all need to get the remake at the top of Sony 3rd Party Productions' list. With Yakuza 5 getting localized, anything is possible.

that list seems to be more about getting ports and localization done. we're talking about a multimillion dollar investment of an IP that Sony doesn't even own.

dramatis

I didn't think it was, that was why my next line was there.

I just am disappointed if it will be either vita or 3ds.
What Kagari is saying isn't, "It will be handheld." What she is saying is, "The platform is not confirmed." It's a way to keep a lid on the hype, just in case people run around thinking PS4XboneWiiU when it might be a bad translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom