• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - Could we see Genesis again? Spoilers

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I won't go into full detail since my memory isn't entirely spot on, so I'll just summarize. In Crisis Core, Genesis finds out he, along with Angeal and Sephiroth were "projects" to try to make a super soldier from Jenova cells. After a sparring match with Sephiroth, Genesis gets injured and the wound never heals, but gets worse. It triggers his cells to "break down" so he spends majority of the game trying to find a way to restore himself. At the end of the game after you beat him, he gets restored by Minerva and passes out, then the members of Deepground come and take him away. They try to get him to join but he declines, and seals himself beneath Midgar only to awaken when the Planet is in a crisis and needs a true hero.

So to fast forward, in Advent Children we don't hear a peep from this guy and Dirge of Cerberus secret ending he is actually awakened, taking Weiss' body and saying that they'll be there when the Planet needs them.

My question is, since the devs making the Remake are keen on trying to delve deeper into the world of FFVII, do you think its possible we may see Genesis show up? After all the Planet would be in clear danger because of Sephiroth/Meteor....I'm thinking a side quest would have to be done in order to get the "true ending" which leads to Genesis awakening only to have you fight him to deem you "worthy" of protecting the Planet, OR to perhaps awaken him to get him to help fight against Sephiroth/Jenova/the summoning of Meteor.

Also it would kinda change story canon a little since Genesis "didn't exist" when FFVII originally came out, and this would be a good way to connect the dots since other games in the "compilation" have released since then that expanded on backstory, I feel like it would be a waste if Crisis Core didn't link up to FFVII cause otherwise what's the point if none of the events that transpired aren't considered canon? Now I know that he awoke for the first time during Dirge of Cerberus, so I'm thinking they might have to retcon that as well. It was a somewhat minor scene since Genesis himself didn't have an impact on the story so I don't see it hurting anything.

What do you guys think?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
God, I hope not.

edit: I'd accept him as an optional sideboss that's completely out of the way.

I would like the remake to stick the original story line since I never played crisis core.
But I guess it would be nice to know more about Zack and co.

Not even gonna read your post but this is why the remake should not be a thing.

Secret bosses:

Ruby Weapon
Sapphire Weapon
Gackt

I'm good.

studyguy

How's Gackt looking these days anyway?
If he's in I fully expect a cheesy jpop themesong from here to accompany the game.

RIP BLACK HAIR CLOUD TOO, WE FUCKED UP AND LET YOUR WAIFU DIE SORRY BRAH

Ridley327

I would only allow it if we got the chance to shove Loveless so far up his ass that you can read through it during the x-ray on his corpse.

studyguy

He still looks good but he's aged for real.

grappee%2001092016-3.jpg

This is him in 2016?
That's pretty fucking good for a 40 year old.
FF7 story for the remake will have a ton of fuckery with our without him though thanks to the extended universe. They should just ignore Advent Children/Dirge outright to boot.

rhandino

Banned
The only thing I was 100% sure since they announced the remake is that we are going to get Genesis + more vapid Loveless verses inserted into the main plot.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I really, really hope not. Stick to what's in the original game please. Maybe flesh out Zack's story a tiny bit, make it make more sense as it's small and easily missed. But no more than that.

No content from any spinoffs, keep it pure.

Not even gonna read your post but this is why the remake should not be a thing.

Get out of the thread then.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
grappee%2001092016-3.jpg

This is him in 2016?
That's pretty fucking good for a 40 year old.
FF7 story for the remake will have a ton of fuckery with our without him though thanks to the extended universe. They should just ignore Advent Children/Dirge outright to boot.

Well unless they plan on going that far into the future, Advent Children takes place like 3-4 years after VII so you might get your wish there

Blobbers

latest

My friend, the fates are cruel
There are no dreams, no honor remains
The arrow has left the bow of the goddess

My soul, corrupted by vengeance
Hath endured torment, to find the end of the journey
In my own salvation
And your eternal slumber

Legend shall speak
Of sacrifice at world's end
The wind sails over the water's surface
Quietly, but surely

Even if the morrow is barren of promises
Nothing shall forestall my return
To become the dew that quenches the land
To spare the sands, the seas, the skies
I offer thee this silent sacrifice

Imagine this, but in HD.
Genesis has grown on me over the years. I wouldn't even mind a cameo in the Remake.

sensui-tomo

if the compiliation of FF7 stuff makes it in the games.. there will be a lot of ground to cover

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII/Timeline long read, was there ever a fan translation of FF7 BC? aka that turk game
[QUOTE="D";191882525]Well unless they plan on going that far into the future, Advent Children takes place like 3-4 years after VII so you might get your wish there[/QUOTE]
I thought advent children was only 1 year afterwards with DoC a year after that unless the timeline is wrong.

"D"

I could do without all the Loveless stuff but personally I wouldn't mind at least hearing about Genesis or the events that transpired in Crisis Core.....that way that at least Crisis Core gets acknowledged. I'm kinda big on continuity on games with a "deep" story, so completely ignoring Crisis Core, which is supposed to be canon and a "important" piece of the FFVII lore, would bother the hell outta me.

Best case scenario is the events from Crisis Core are included to flesh out backstory with cutscenes and flashbacks for certain events that call for it, and perhaps a side quest totally removed from the main story that lets you fight Genesis

"D"

"D"

I'll take Genesis if they give me Crisis Core HD. If Crisis Core HD ain't happening, Genesis can stay out.

Crisis Core HD included in FFVII Remake Collectors Edition. Comes with a statuette of the Buster Sword shoved into the ground, with a lone wolf standing next to it. Also includes a small box of each color materia. In game DLC skins from Advent Children to put on everyone.

Would buy

Jolkien

Oh please no. Such a terrible character. And stay out of the terrible Advent Children with it's ridiculous plot. (the action in it was good, didn't feel like Final Fantasy at all though)

Oh please no. Such a terrible character. And stay out of the terrible Advent Children with it's ridiculous plot. (the action in it was good, didn't feel like Final Fantasy at all though)

Yeah. the only part I really liked about Advent Children were the Turks. I really loved Quinton Flynns' Reno. I know it was just Axel from KH2, but I really loved it.

"D"

Lol y'all know Genesis is gonna show up some way or another, might as well get ready to feel the disappointment

Nomura ain't gonna leave his precious Gackt Genesis on ice

Illucio

Banned
edit: I'd accept him as an optional sideboss that's completely out of the way.

... This.

I like Genesis but he should had just been put to rest entirely. But another part of me would like closure to his story and just see the main cast kill him off.

Loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless loveless.

Honestly though? Yeah.

Nomura's already said there's going to be expanded story and new content and the dude's got such a boner for Gackt.

Because of the episodic nature of the remake I expect that the early Midgar stuff will be greatly expanded on as well. I'm sure we'll get mentions or references to Fuhito and Elfe from the early Avalanche days (Before Crisis). Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie will hopefully be given more depth and development etc.

Expect a shit ton of fan service where Zack is concerned too. The FF7 fanbase loses their shit over Zack.

I'm less sure about the Deep Ground stuff showing up though.

studyguy

Actually you know what, I hope the extended universe stuff is all thrown in together in a jumbled mess so we can truly appreciate how much of a clusterfuck everything became post FF7.

Z3M0G

I played both games, but didn't remember all those details about Genesis... it feels like the FFVII project was very much centered around him... (at least that's how the OP makes it sound.)

Banned
Never played any other FF7 besides vanilla version. There seems to be a negative reception about this guy so I'm gonna say no. I don't want to see him.

"D"

I played both games, but didn't remember all those details about Genesis... it feels like the FFVII project was very much centered around him... (at least that's how the OP makes it sound.)

Well Sephiroth was the "perfect" creation while Genesis was the most "flawed" one. But Crisis Core was kinda centered around Genesis him and he was the main antagonist with a hint at returning later in the future

I never understood why people dislike Genesis. It's been a while since I played Crisis Core, but I don't remember him being that bad.

Nephtes

If we could just forget most of Crisis Core (except the awesome soundtrack)... That'd be great.

I'm loveless for the characters they added two the lore in that game...

Top Bottom