• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

bill1148

Banned
1289269456520.gif
]

Soriku

Figures things were going to be too good to be true.

My interest is deflating at an alarming rate.

Read the interview snippets. If you were planning to wait a few years for this game anyway, this news shouldn't effect you since the by the end it will be as complete as they want it to be.

What a load of bullshit. Gonna have to wait until all the "parts" are out to play a full game. Episodic gaming just doesn't work with a JRPG.

Then don't buy it till later, unless you'd prefer a rushed game.

I don't know why everyone is jumping the gun and calling this episodic when they specifically said "multi-part".

It's if The Lord of the Rings was one book, Peter Jackson announced it wouldn't be one 10 hour movie , and then people complained like he was turning it into a TV series.

Let's wait and see before we all go into full meltdown

tuxfool

Banned
Timeless in my eyes? It's a turn based RPG which are timeless by nature and this guy's trying to compare it to an early 3d game focused on stealth.

People just aren't as interested in rehashing the combat system, and people just aren't as interested in pure turn based combat any more. Deal with it, tastes change.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why can't they just wait until then to release the full game? None of this episodic BS.

Because money. It's cute that people are buying the straight up lie that they'd have to cut content to make a single game. Because, of course, it's so huge and complex compared to every other RPG being made, right? No, SE has accurately pegged the community and realized they will pay whatever they'd ask for the remake. Why bother putting full effort into making a complete game, when you can sell parts of one (backed by the excellent Square Enix release schedule) with much less effort? They're going to sell the game regardless. If I could get paid to produce parts of my job with like, a totes guarantee that I'd finish it, you know, at some point, I would.

Timeless in my eyes? It's a turn based RPG which are timeless by nature and this guy's trying to compare it to an early 3d game focused on stealth.
He wasnt comparing the 2 games. He was comparing the similarites in what fans would want from a remake of an old popular franchise and how not all fans want the same thing.

GavinGT

Banned
I don't know why everyone is jumping the gun and calling this episodic when they specifically said "multi-part".

It's if The Lord of the Rings was one book, Peter Jackson announced it wouldn't be one 10 hour movie , and then people complained like he was turning it into a TV series.

Is there a meaningful distinction between episodic and multi-part? They're obviously not all being released at the same time.

Didn't the original PSX game came on 4 discs? It would be fair to assume the remake will eventually become 4 Blu-ray discs as well, and if they keep focusing on a specific disc and then release it then we don't have to wait 12 years to finally get our hands on the game.

I have faith in this because, unlike Valve, Square actually manages to get their episodic content out in a reasonable amount of time.

Ploid 3.0

Final episode will be PS5 launch title!

I'll probably miss launch since they want to try to improve graphics, then convert the old episodes for PS5 if it's not backwards compatible. Rumblings of HL3 before FFVII Remake part 5 will make the rounds, scaring everyone because we all know HL3 or episode 3 is never happening. FF as a launch game seems too good to be true.

Elios83

Jumping the gun is a fundamental part of Neogaf :D
But a few unanswered concerns remain.

greg400

Banned
People just aren't as interested in rehashing the combat system, and people just aren't as interested in pure turn based combat any more. Deal with it, tastes change.
Yeah, because people love all those new action RPG's Square has put out recently in comparison to their old turn based games right? /s

He wasnt comparing the 2 games. He was comparing the similarites in what fans would want from a remake of an old popular franchise and how not all fans want the same thing.

It was still a terrible analogy. He was trying to compare two completely different gameplay styles, FF7 was in a position to where the original gameplay didn't need to be changed at all because it was turn based. The MGS series NEEDED to adjust because of the type of game it was.

Boke1879

Because money. It's cute that people are buying the straight up lie that they'd have to cut content to make a single game. Because, of course, it's so huge and complex compared to every other RPG being made, right? No, SE has accurately pegged the community and realized they will pay whatever they'd ask for the remake. Why bother putting full effort into making a complete game, when you can sell parts of one (backed by the excellent Square Enix release schedule) with much less effort? They're going to sell the game regardless. If I could get paid to produce parts of my job with like, a totes guarantee that I'd finish it, you know, at some point, I would.

Or Nomura pretty much told you why they did this.

To make this as a single release with ALL the content you want would probably take years. Maybe 5. SE isn't going to take that risk ever again considering FFXV.

Again I need more info. Pricing, where it ends, exploration etc.. But we've had plenty of people say and even someone who talks to developers who understand this situation.

TheYanger

Didn't the original PSX game came on 4 discs? It would be fair to assume the remake will eventually become 4 Blu-ray discs as well, and if they keep focusing on a specific disc and then release it then we don't have to wait 12 years to finally get our hands on the game.

I have faith in this because, unlike Valve, Square actually manages to get their episodic content out in a reasonable amount of time.

3 and that was only because of cutscenes really. Most of the actual game world fits on every disc just fine. It also wasn't remotely a clean split in terms of time/plot.

This is completely stupid, and it's obvious why they're doing it. It has nothing to do with 'data size', since guaranteed they're not going to be releasing both parts at the same time. This is everything to do with them wanting to be able to make money before they've finished the entire game, so they're literally resorting to selling it in parts.

This episodic shit is garbage.

Mik2121

Glad they announced this! Time to update my LinkedIn (from back when I worked at CC2).
The game is looking neat, too, so good job to the people still involved in the project.

Soriku

Alternatively they don't want to make a game with notable contents only to have the game release towards the end of the generation.

I don't think you should assume this. They might not cut the game in the same ways as the original.

tkato

Banned
I get why people are afraid of changes to the already good FFVII formula, but you're already getting the remaster, I don't mind the developers changing things for the remake, and im sure we'll see advent children influence as well.

Boke1879

They knew the scope of the game. If they couldn't feasibly remake it then they shouldn't have bothered.

BUt this is them feasibly remaking it and putting the content in there. Their own words say this.

If you wanted it in a single release they more than likely have to cut the fat to have it released in a timely manner.

daniels

"we cant release it in one go or we have to cut stuff :("
"-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of new added stuff overall volume will be big"
Thx for the new stuff that no one asked for and probably fucks over everything with crisis core advent children crap all while taking resources that you could use to remake the game 100% but hey cutting stuff from the original game in favor of new crap makes sense in a remake..

Lol what a shit show
Adding new crap that no one asked for and transforming the game in a multi part series all while cutting stuff out from the old game... some kind of remake this is :X

meanspartan

They likely just can't afford to be working on another FF game for a decade with 0 sales. Can't blame them for doing it this way with XV over their heads.

Then dont do it at all. Or finish 15, then move on to 7.

Its a scum move, and its gross anyone is defending it.

And you know what, if they announced this from the start, Id accept it a little more. But no, they happily took all that goodwill from the announcement and from the first gameplay trailer and shat on it with a fucking Sunday night news dump months later.

This is modern Square after all. My own fault for falling for the hype.

Do you think it'll say "Cloud will remember that" when Aerith dies?

Ravek

Banned
None of the people claiming that remaking FF7 this gen is a technical impossibility without splitting it have played any modern MMO's in the last like... 10 years.

Don't fucking talk to me about "different locales" and "voicework" and "textures" and "caves" and shit. I don't know how these people managed to convince gamers that this cannot be done. It has to be one of gamings most surreal mysteries.

Agreed. Feels like a lot of people are so blind/bias that they'll defend SE, in regards to FF7R, to the end. Which is fucking insane. I love FF7. Always will. But people here are acting like SE is rebuilding the Ark of video games and that they should be praised for it and blah blah blah.

They are supposedly a AAA company. I haven't seen that out of them in a long ass time. Other AAA companies are doing games on a grander scale than this FF7R, but they don't say half the bullshit/come up with isane excuses that SE does.

I think a lot of you have rose tinted glasses and thats fine. But don't make the original FF7 look like some titan of a game. It was large but fairly shallow outside of 4 places.

Styles

What a load of bullahit. Gonna have to wait until all the "parts" are out to play a full game. Episodic gaming just doesn't work with a JRPG.

They are basically throwing us part of an incomplete game.

But should we be surprised? Time and time again, SE have proven to us that they cannot release their AAA games in a timely manner.

Tired of dealing with their BS.

MrHoot

I don't think you should assume this. They might not cut the game in the same ways as the original.

I think some of the more ultras around here should stop jumping on a lot of assumptions to fit their own narrative, or we're never going to have a good FF7R thread without 50 page first of wailing

Spacejaws

The stuff being cut is probably the kind of stuff that was going to be cut regardless of it being episodic or not (i.e. using a Dolphin to get to the upper parts of Junon).

Could mean the world map too, though. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Better not even THINK about touching Mr. Dolphin!

final_fantasy_7_page161_by_obstinatemelon-d34pmjp.jpg

meanspartan

This. Thank you.

Is there a meaningful distinction between episodic and multi-part? They're obviously not all being released at the same time.

Pretty much my analogy comparing a trilogy of movies(multi-part) vs a TV series(episodic).

Better analogy: let's say Mass Effect 1-3 was just one game that came out last gen, and in 15 years it was remade in three parts. That's how I see it at least and definitely not turned into a Telltale, 4 hour chunks greatest hits of FF7 fest over 10 parts.

I think it's very unlikely that we get an episodic FF7R given how all of they key people have talked about this game before in the past. They all know how big, how important, and how critical this game is for a lot of people and wouldn't half ass the project, which has been mentioned in interviews about the potential FF7R project way before this was ever announced

Jumping the gun is a fundamental part of Neogaf :D
But a few unanswered concerns remain.

I understand that and the fact that we've got however many threads with hundreds of pages worth of replies shows how much people care.

Hopefully that Famitsu interview/article sheds some light this week so we can all take a breath

Ceravic

BUt this is them feasibly remaking it and putting the content in there. Their own words say this.

If you wanted it in a single release they more than likely have to cut the fat to have it released in a timely manner.

Then honestly, don't remake it. If you can't do it then don't do it. I don't need this half-baked episodic nonsense.

AwShucks

I don't understand why they would need to split it up. Can it really not fit on a single Blu-ray disc?

I would imagine it has more to do with Square wanting to release something and in order to do the whole thing they have to have it episodic otherwise it would be some condensed product with lots cut.

Boke1879

Agreed. Feels like a lot of people are so blind/bias that they'll defend SE, in regards to FF7R, to the end. Which is fucking insane. I love FF7. Always will. But people here are acting like SE is rebuilding the Ark of video games and that they should be praised for it and blah blah blah.

They are supposedly a AAA company. I haven't seen that out of them in a long ass time. Other AAA companies are doing games on a grander scale than this FF7R, but they don't say half the bullshit/come up with isane excuses that SE does.

I think a lot of you have rose tinted glasses and thats fine. But don't make the original FF7 look like some titan of a game. It was large but fairly shallow outside of 4 places.

You can say that, but we have someone in this thread that adjusted it for inflation and in today's terms it would cost a lot of money. and you want a 1:1 remake of that, with voice acting, explorable towns/world map and all that other shit.

If you dont' like it you don't have to support it.

raven777

some stuff I didn't put in my first summary

-Character model is supervised by Visual Work's director.
-They don't want to go with 100% realism for the characters since it might make it hard to recognize certain characters. So they are going as real as possible, while keeping the character's personality.
-Advent Children model data is over 10 years old so they can't really use it.
-Everything from the trailer (excluding the stuff that was shown from E3 reveal) was real-time. The end scene where Cloud gets off the train, it transitions directly to the gameplay.
-Cloud looking sick is partly due to the lighting. Nojima likes that Cloud looks very sick.
-Cross-dressing is obviously in the game, but Nomura didn't design it yet.
-All the party member's design is renewed like Barret.
-At first they thought of going with AC design of Barret, but decided not to.
-ATB and Limit gauge is there but they are different from the original. ATB turning red is something important.
-Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who has experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts.

Top Bottom