• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
some stuff I didn't put in my first summary

-Character model is supervised by Visual Work's director.
-They don't want to go with 100% realism for the characters since it might make it hard to recognize certain characters.
-Advent Children model datas are over 100 years old so they can't really use it.
-Everything from the trailer (excluding the stuff that was shown from E3 reveal) was real-time. The end scene where Cloud gets off the train, it transitions directly to the gameplay.
-Cloud looking sick is partly due to the lighting. Nojima likes that Cloud looks very sick.
-Cross-dressing is obviously in the game, but Nomura didn't design it yet.
-All the party member's design is renewed like Barret.
-At first they thought of going with AC design of Barret, but decided not to.
-ATB and Limit gauge is there but they are different from the original. ATB turning red is something important.
-Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who has experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts.

I'm going to add this to my thread along with your first post if that's okay. Thanks!

CamHostage

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse. Look at Gears Ultimate Edition or Halo 2A. Moreso H2A as Gears was closer to a remaster. H2A had a hole separate engine running on top of the original. It wasn't just an HD remaster. Granted it's an FPS so the comparison stops there as a full JRPG REMAKE has yet to be done, but that's what this was introduced as.

You're welcome to look at those games as examples of ways to remake (or rather remaster) a game. The fact remains, however, that Final Fantasy VII Remake does not follow that template.

Rather, it follows the template of remakes like BSG or The Departed or Resident Evil GC. Lots of things will be similar, but the effort is being put into making something new for a new generation instead of re-executing the product that spawned it.

...Also, not to get on your case, but it's in your head this idea that Square presented it as a perfect remastering of the exact game you played in 1997. Some version of the old game overlayed with new polygons and textures, it sounds pretty to say, but it's not ever what Remake was "introduced as". Go back and watch the presentation. Read the press release. It's all still there.

https://youtu.be/XfYr3Jw1LgQ?t=84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieB51rHpQ4Q
http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/469/square-enix-announces-final-fantasy-vii-remake

And by the way, soon after the E3 presentation, Square Enix made it clear that FF VII Remake was going to play differently and would have story differences. Within days, it was clear that Remake was not the same game. And now, it should be abundantly clear.

The sooner you accept that Remake is not the remastering you wanted, that it's a new game remade in its image, the less frustrating it'll be to either accept it, or let it go and cancel your pre-order. You don't want to be on GAF for the next few years going, "WHAT! That's different too?!?"

Boke1879

Then honestly, don't remake it. If you can't do it then don't do it. I don't need this half-baked episodic nonsense.

But the single release would be half baked, This allows them to put the full content in this remake if the devs words are to be trusted and if they do that ultimately what's the problem. You'd be upset it not on a single disc.

But you'd be even more furious if it was a single release with all the fat trimmed.

KeRaSh

I can't be upset about this. I'd rather play FFVIIr Episode 1 in 2017 and have the other episodes 1 or 2 years apart than play the shell of a complete game in 2025.
FFXV has shown us that SE has problems with long dev cycles so developing the remake in shorter bursts with multiple milestones could be a really good thing.

anaron

This is why of all the reimagined looks Cloud has gotten over the years since the original game, I actually like his recently revealed design for Smash Bros. the best. It's the most cartoony and stylistically different from every other iteration's interpretation of Advent Children's look. FFVII was a very anime game - possibly the most anime of all the mainline FF entries - and had very anime character designs to go along with it, so why not embrace that? /unpopularopinion

more like...

the correct opinion!

seriously though, you're totally right.

Feichaw

1289269456520.gif
]

hahahaha

Then honestly, don't remake it. If you can't do it then don't do it. I don't need this half-baked episodic nonsense.
You have no idea it's half baked or not. And what if it's not, then guess what. It'll actually exist. Don't like it in chunks, then just wait for it all to be done? Since you didn't want it to exist unless it's complete, what's a couple more years wait. Oh and if you don't like the price, just wait some more and you'll eventually hit the price point you want.

If the product turns out good, how it's released or how many chunks it comes out can be worked around with time. And since you are all or nothing on your approach this shouldn't be a problem for you

Boke1879

Haha, nope! All these companies are very strict when it comes to NDA's, plus I'm not involved in that project anymore. Just wishing them good luck!

Woah woah woah, edit that out, haha. No, I moved to a different company. Jesus... :p
Also my tag is not because of PlatinumGames but a joke on the "Gold Member" and other Member status on gaf!

Well I'm glad you're still excited for the project. Hopefully it all comes together well.

meanspartan

"You guys its just soooo ambitious they have to split it up into multiple parts!"

Ugh how are some of you eating this shit up. Well I guess I found the people who bought XIII 2 and 3.

I view this as a result of not being able to cram DLC into the game since it's a remake. So they have to figure out a way to charge more than $60. Best case scenario would be 7 parts each costing $10, but I don't think that'll happen. It'll probably be each part costing in the neighborhood of $15 and maybe a discount if you sign up to by all parts before they're released.

This is definitely DLC compensation, any type of DLC plan would cause a cataclysmic uproar.

GeNoMe

Wow....that came out of nowhere. It's like a band aid they ripped off lightning fast hoping it wouldn't hurt too much. Meh....will buy nonetheless, and millions of other fans will too. They will be laughing to bank wether they take this left or right.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Because money. It's cute that people are buying the straight up lie that they'd have to cut content to make a single game. Because, of course, it's so huge and complex compared to every other RPG being made, right? No, SE has accurately pegged the community and realized they will pay whatever they'd ask for the remake. Why bother putting full effort into making a complete game, when you can sell parts of one (backed by the excellent Square Enix release schedule) with much less effort? They're going to sell the game regardless. If I could get paid to produce parts of my job with like, a totes guarantee that I'd finish it, you know, at some point, I would.
That would be true if each part were like 12 hours of gameplay, which I can't believe.

I'm sure each of these parts will be a full modern game's worth of content. It's just that the old scope of FFVII with a modern level of detail would be several games worth of content.

Money too, yes. They can milk this cash cow for a few games as well. But its not as if they are cutting a normal modern game into multiple parts just for money.

It was still a terrible analogy. He was trying to compare two completely different gameplay styles, FF7 was in a position to where the original gameplay didn't need to be changed at all because it was turn based. The MGS series NEEDED to adjust because of the type of game it was.
Analogy aside. I'm a huge FF7 fan and I like the turn based. But after having the chance to play the remaster, I'm welcome to the change. It really does feel dated and the remake is a little more then just fan service catering to those that want it to be the same game with modern graphics. They could have updated the formula and kept it turn based but I dont know.. The change is OK in my books and I know many agree with that.

I understand its not what a lot of people wanted.

-They don't want to go with 100% realism for the characters since it might make it hard to recognize certain characters. So they are going as real as possible, while keeping the character's personality.
-Advent Children model data is over 10 years old so they can't really use it.
-Everything from the trailer (excluding the stuff that was shown from E3 reveal) was real-time. The end scene where Cloud gets off the train, it transitions directly to the gameplay.
-Cloud looking sick is partly due to the lighting. Nojima likes that Cloud looks very sick.
-ATB and Limit gauge is there but they are different from the original. ATB turning red is something important.
-Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who has experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts.

I'm cool with all of this.

Ploid 3.0

What a load of bullshit. Gonna have to wait until all the "parts" are out to play a full game. Episodic gaming just doesn't work with a JRPG.

Imagine the new episode is out, you haven't played in 6+ months. You boot the episode up and are recapped on what you did and where you are.

Previously on FFXII Remake.

[story stuff]

[Notes left by user]
Future me, there's a new sword I got but forgot to equipt it before the darn final cutscene. Do not forget that puppy. Also try going back into Midgard to see if it works, because I also forgot to loot a lot of stuff.

Famassu

Why can't they just wait until then to release the full game? None of this episodic BS.
It's not episodic. And they don't want to wait because it's too massive a project to be released as a single game if they don't want to cut a lot of content (or sacrifice quality). By making it into 2 or 3 or however many parts (my guess is a trilogy), they can justify the costs of developing such a huge volume of content. If they could only sell one game for 60$, they'd have to cut a lot of stuff because the budget would be too massive for a single game to have all that content in the quality they are going for.

And you are free to wait for all of the parts to release before buying this, if you ever do. At the time the last part is released, you can probably get the first parts for 10$ each.

This sucks. Deflating the hype after showing us that gdlk trailer.

I'd like to be optimistic about how they're gonna handle the pricing and content per episode, but...

Shouta

Catching up with all of the news about this, it sounds like they want to do a .hack. I'm not opposed to that as long as they add more content to the game so that each installment is the length of a pretty solid RPG, say 25-35 hours. 3 parts like .hack G.U. would work. For folks that don't want to buy right away, they can just wait until it goes on sale or buy the copies used, I guess.

Glad to see CC2 is helping out. They are graphics monsters. lol

kurahador

I wonder how many parts this will be. I mean it's not realistic to imagine it'll be less than 5, but then 5-6 parts means each episodes need to be long and meaty and won't be cheap.

SRTtoZ

Catching up with all of the news about this, it sounds like they want to do a .hack. I'm not opposed to that as long as they add more content to the game so that each installment is the length of a pretty solid RPG, say 25-35 hours. 3 parts like .hack G.U. would work. For folks that don't want to buy right away, they can just wait until it goes on sale or buy the copies used, I guess.

ditto.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Or Nomura pretty much told you why they did this.

To make this as a single release with ALL the content you want would probably take years. Maybe 5. SE isn't going to take that risk ever again considering FFXV.

Again I need more info. Pricing, where it ends, exploration etc.. But we've had plenty of people say and even someone who talks to developers who understand this situation.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, "HD towns are hard," I get it. It's rough out there for SE these days. I'm still not going to be buying Final Fantasy VII: Early Access. Because that's all this is. An unfinished game being sold to consumers with a promise that the rest is going to come - and since this is SE - come at a reasonable rate of release.

The problem here is the obvious to anybody who thinks about it for a second. If they have to break it apart because suddenly a 20 year old game simply has too much content, that means they'll still be working on future installments when they release Episode One. And have you met SE? Given their history, how can anybody, with a straight face, believe that they'll be able to push out the other pieces at a reasonable rate?

And let's say this breaks ground for them and that becomes a possibility. So? We're still paying for pieces of a game. Meanwhile, every other RPG on the face of the planet somehow manages to sell itself as a complete experience. We wouldn't stand for MGSV being sold to us in fractions. Or Dragon Age: Inquisition being sold by the area, with the story dependent on being split across the series.

I simply don't care about their front-facing excuses and "please understands." It's all bullshit, and it's not bullshit we'd tolerate under any other circumstances. That's my entire point. They're doing this because they know they can, because no matter what they did here - short of making it a mobile on game or something - fans are still going to buy it, still going to defend it and still pretend that it's a great thing that when they leave Midgar they're faced with "Thanks for playing, see you again in Episode 2: Nibelheim Burns"

BocoDragon

I wonder how many parts this will be. I mean it's not realistic to imagine it'll be less than 5, but then 5-6 parts means each episodes need to be long and meaty and won't be cheap.
Really?

I was hoping for 3, tops.

-They don't want to go with 100% realism for the characters since it might make it hard to recognize certain characters. So they are going as real as possible, while keeping the character's personality.
-Advent Children model data is over 10 years old so they can't really use it.

Nice. Thanks!

That character modeling for the new real-time designs was really quite perfect to me, I think they nailed the mix of art style. S-E's Visual Works continuing to knocking it out of the park as usual.

BocoDragon

Yeah, yeah, yeah, "HD towns are hard," I get it. It's rough out there for SE these days. I'm still not going to be buying Final Fantasy VII: Early Access. Because that's all this is. An unfinished game being sold to consumers with a promise that the rest is going to come - and since this is SE - come at a reasonable rate of release.

The problem here is the obvious to anybody who thinks about it for a second. If they have to break it apart because suddenly a 20 year old game simply has too much content, that means they'll still be working on future installments when they release Episode One. And have you met SE? Given their history, how can anybody, with a straight face, believe that they'll be able to push out the other pieces at a reasonable rate?

And let's say this breaks ground for them and that becomes a possibility. So? We're still paying for pieces of a game. Meanwhile, every other RPG on the face of the planet somehow manages to sell itself as a complete experience. We wouldn't stand for MGSV being sold to us in fractions. Or Dragon Age: Inquisition being sold by the area, with the story dependent on being split across the series.
wait... Yeah we did. That's exactly what we did. Lol

Reszo

I'd be okay with this since all the parts came out within close proximity to each other (6 months).
I want to say I want to get them all when they release all of them but I might be too excited to play and buy them as they release lol.

Top Bottom