• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This is one of the main problems I have so far (I'm almost done with chapter 14). The changes have been meh so far and the additions don't really serve any purpose other than lengthening the game. When I was going around turning giant lamps off it didn't give me further appreciation for the story. When I was saving Wedge from failed experiments it just showed something the original game showed but the OG game did it in a way more straightforward poignant way
The most significant changes are yet to come. I wasn’t a fan of them at all.

To their credit though they could still sculpt it into something cool or loyal to the original, but right now it has me very concerned. When you change major plot points, and cross that bridge now you have precedent to change whatever you want. I’m hoping they know how loyal the fan base is and don’t let narcissism think they can just change the whole damn thing.

Otherwise, why be loyal for almost the entire game and then change it? If you wanted to make a totally new story, then start it that way from the beginning,

It was still a good game though, but the first however many chapters had me excited that they may actually nail this and make the remake we all wanted and now I’m concerned.

Game of Thrones has made me paranoid of everything I love being ruined. 😂😩

God Enel

Finished the game last Thursday. Played it with my friends and we all enjoyed this game a lot. With side quests and so on it took us 35-40 hours. Loved the fighting system and that you have to switch a lot between the character. I thought the graphics were pretty good (we borrowed a PS4) and I forgot how good graphics are these days - cannot wait for ps5, which I’m going to buy.

i mean it’s not the perfect game but it was Fun while playing. Only Downside for me was that
You cannot play red. I don’t know why they didn’t make him playable?! That was a really disappointing imho as I wanted to play with the complete old cast. Hope they change that in FF7R2 when it comes out.

otherwise I would rate this game 8.5 / 10. Though I don’t have that nostalgia for FF7 like a lot of people have and I like that they expanded on the story and universe. :)

Manji Uzuki

Any advice for chapter 18 in hard mode? The series of combats at the beginning is becoming frustrating qd you need to repeat all over again every time.

Sometimes I manage to get to the
Bahamut summon
but he always kills my entire party with his special attack. Any recomendations?

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
I didn't even try to do cool combos like this, damn.

I4H6CLS.gif

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So I found out to max out your weapons to have to replay the entire fucking game in hard mode? Fuck that, man.

I’ll tell you, before chapters 17 and 18, I had this game at like an 8.5/10. After I dropped it to a 6.5/7. Some of the story changes I didn’t like, and the fact that not even just to 100% the game, but to merely max out your weapons you have to play through the fucking game again on Hard Mode.

A killer for OCD completionists like me. And if that’s what they wanted they should have allowed you to jump to certain points within a chapter to make the process much quicker in chapter select. And also the option to disable all cutscenes so you don’t have to keep hitting pause to skip them. Also the ability to hold down a button to blow through all dialogue than having to hammer the circle button all damn game.

What a fucking tedious chore.

Fret Runner

I like the idea of having party limits in the next part.
Say, when all the party members have a limit break at the same time, a option for a "team limit break" appears and gives you a big 'ol Advent Children style attack and uses up everyones limit. Would be sweet.:messenger_beaming:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Is he famous or something?
he is a guy who reviews video games and recently left Kotaku to start his own patreon. he did a really great series for them that looked at the translation and the difference between the English and Japanese games.

he has a idiosyncratic style that some people can't stand him. i like his stuff imo he's just an overeager Otaku with a lot of talent for writing. anyways his meticulously researched 3 hour long review is premiering on youtube at 7PM EST.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
he is a guy who reviews video games and recently left Kotaku to start his own patreon. he did a really great series for them that looked at the translation and the difference between the English and Japanese games.

he has a idiosyncratic style that some people can't stand him. i like his stuff imo he's just an overeager Otaku with a lot of talent for writing. anyways his meticulously researched 3 hour long review is premiering on youtube at 7PM EST.

I see. I hardly read gaming sites anymore. I personally find that I respect the opinions more of people who play the games at a high level, since that's where my headspace is at. Too many contemporary game reviews from mainstream sites are from a casual perspective. This guy sounds cool though. 3 hours, damn, that's a lotta work.

TTOOLL

So I found out to max out your weapons to have to replay the entire fucking game in hard mode? Fuck that, man.

I’ll tell you, before chapters 17 and 18, I had this game at like an 8.5/10. After I dropped it to a 6.5/7. Some of the story changes I didn’t like, and the fact that not even just to 100% the game, but to merely max out your weapons you have to play through the fucking game again on Hard Mode.

A killer for OCD completionists like me. And if that’s what they wanted they should have allowed you to jump to certain points within a chapter to make the process much quicker in chapter select. And also the option to disable all cutscenes so you don’t have to keep hitting pause to skip them. Also the ability to hold down a button to blow through all dialogue than having to hammer the circle button all damn game.

What a fucking tedious chore.

I feel you, I had the same idea. Make no mistake, the fun begins now. Do it!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I feel you, I had the same idea. Make no mistake, the fun begins now. Do it!
I used my save wizard on it. Problem solved lol. Hey, gotta pick and choose how to allocate your time. I'd rather spend 15 hours on a new experience than going through this again. My weapons are maxed, now to do the simulator and it's on to FF15.

D.Final

Banned
Any advice for chapter 18 in hard mode? The series of combats at the beginning is becoming frustrating qd you need to repeat all over again every time.

Bahamut summon
but he always kills my entire party with his special attack. Any recomendations?

Use barrier on the team, and keep the HP of the team high.
(you must have at least 7000 HP to survive)
Always use Energira All when needed, and always resurrect when one is KO.

To survive Megaflare, associate yourself with being full life with the team, and using walls on at least one character to survive.
(or use weapons with Last Chance ability, the one that allows you to survive on at least 1 HP)

I used my save wizard on it. Problem solved lol. Hey, gotta pick and choose how to allocate your time. I'd rather spend 15 hours on a new experience than going through this again. My weapons are maxed, now to do the simulator and it's on to FF15.

Let's not mention other games in this discussion.
To avoid creating Off-Topics, and to respect the rules of this conversation only on FFVII Remake.

3 - complete and total prohibition to compare this game with other games, in order to avoid unnecessary and unpleasant Off-Topic.

FFVII Remake OT Rules

In this conversation there is a ban on:

1- talk about things unrelated to the game, including news about the sequels, sales data, spoilers and spilere articles dedicated to the game from other sites.

2- prohibition from attacking, or denigrating, users' personal opinions related to the game.

3- complete and total prohibition to compare this game with other games, in order to avoid unnecessary and unpleasant Off-Topic.

4- total ban on posting material considered as Spoilers, such as the examples mentioned above, and it is forbidden to post any other Spoilers without first having used the Spoiler function of the site.

5- ban on creating conversations, here, about news unrelated to the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake (1).
Including news regarding sales data, news on the sequel, on spoilers, on hypotheses, etc.....

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

Use barrier on the team, and keep the HP of the team high.
(you must have at least 7000 HP to survive)
Always use Energira All when needed, and always resurrect when one is KO.

To survive Megaflare, associate yourself with being full life with the team, and using walls on at least one character to survive.
(or use weapons with Last Chance ability, the one that allows you to survive on at least 1 HP)

Thanks. In the end I just solved it by just pressuring him really quick at the start of the battle and kill him off there without giving him the chance of doing Megaflare. It's cool how with the right strategy you can just overwhelm most of the bosses.

With this I got the platinum of the game after playing 94 hours. I ended-up playing lot more I thought I was going to so that to me proves that the game has some good qualities. This second run in hard mode has been really fun making me try very different set-ups of equipment and materias which I never used in normal.

That said, I'm done with the game unless SE decides to put some interesting DLC. Damn, the wait for part 2 is going to be long...

GymWolf

This is one of the main problems I have so far (I'm almost done with chapter 14). The changes have been meh so far and the additions don't really serve any purpose other than lengthening the game. When I was going around turning giant lamps off it didn't give me further appreciation for the story. When I was saving Wedge from failed experiments it just showed something the original game showed but the OG game did it in a way more straightforward poignant way
Oh boy you are in for a ride, the finale is gonna make you puke...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the changes definitely serve a purpose. it is very cool imo. it gives them the opportunity to do pretty much the same basic story, but still have people guessing what is going to happen. very nice to both have lots of fan service and moments that you know while at the same time not being 100% sure of where the story is going.

that's kind of amazing they pulled that off. i guess people would have preferred if the next 5 years were just "LOL wonder if that character is gonna die?" instead we don't really know. it could go anywhere! one thing we know is most of the stuff we love from the old game will be there (and i can't wait to see Gold Saucer having seen this). personally i can't wait to see what happens.

im in Hard Mode ch 17 Shinra Battle Sim fighting the legendary monsters right now.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

anybody have any tips for Bahamut? i keep getting wiped out by that megaflare.

Basically what Rentahamster Rentahamster told you. I would add that the ideal party for this fight is Cloud, Tifa and Aerith. If you can, equip fury rings to the three of them. With this his HP will melt when he is pressured by the thundaga or firaga spells. Once pressured go all out specially with Tifa. Upercut + Divekick never fails :)

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned

Bahamut summon

It's survivable.

Save up ATB and Heal up when the countdown is nearing its end. Apply Barrier/Manaward (dont remember if physical or magic) to survive the attack.

It took me too long to realize this, but Barrett with Lifesaver / Steelskin is a full-party covertank and will help you survive all sorts of things in this game as long as the enemy doesn't one-shot you.

the changes definitely serve a purpose. it is very cool imo. it gives them the opportunity to do pretty much the same basic story, but still have people guessing what is going to happen. very nice to both have lots of fan service and moments that you know while at the same time not being 100% sure of where the story is going.

that's kind of amazing they pulled that off. i guess people would have preferred if the next 5 years were just "LOL wonder if that character is gonna die?" instead we don't really know. it could go anywhere! one thing we know is most of the stuff we love from the old game will be there (and i can't wait to see Gold Saucer having seen this). personally i can't wait to see what happens.

im in Hard Mode ch 17 Shinra Battle Sim fighting the legendary monsters right now.

Bro the Chapter 17 gauntlet made the last chapter boss such a bastard to fight.

By the time i got to the end Cloud only had like 17 MP left. The final boss on Hard Mode is significantly worse....after about 15 attempts at the phase 2 checkpoint, i actually backed out and decided that I simply was lacking the materia needed to beat the final boss.

I haven't done that with ANYTHING in this game. Hard Mode Hellhouse aint shit to me anymore, the final boss gauntlet definitely has that beat.

Struggling away on Hard Mode has me convinced -- this is without a doubt the best battle system Square Enix has ever produced. I'm praying to god they recycle it from here on.

Last edited:

BlueHawk357

I love this game. Arguably one of the top 3.

However, does anyone else feel really weird after playing it like:
99% through the story 10/10 game, last 1% of story 7/10 feeling?

I don't know how to describe it. Looking forward to part 2.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It was 9/10 for me the whole way through

Xeaker

Well it was a 6/10 game for me, but the ending destroyed any positive experience I had with the game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
well i couldn't fight Pride and Joy cos i missed some earlier battles. so now i'm back in Chapter 9 trying to get some stuff i missed.

just wondering: any tips on how to 100% the dance mini game? i am horrible at these things (even though im irl musician) and never know when i need to hit it. is it just when it goes into the little box?

plus it seems like you have to go through a LOT of the chapter just to get to it. and if you mess up? replay the whole chapter? are there any hints or problematic parts of that sequence i need to be ready for?

Last edited:
Man this is turning out to be one of the biggest disappointments for me this gen. I feel like the game can't get out of it's own way. Pretty much every time I start thinking, "Oh shit this is about to be good" there's always some bullshit thrown in the way that doesn't add anything positive to the experience.

For example when you get into the Shinra Building and instead of going on with what appears to be a narrative peak, you have to get into an arbitrarily force fielded off kiosk by doing a series of terrible controlling climbing and platforming with Tifa. There's one part where Tifa says "This isn't that bad" almost like the devs knew that part was absolute useless dog shit. What was the point of that? It wasn't fun at all and it didn't convey anything that couldn't have been conveyed in a better more poignant way. All it did was kill the momentum. Just absolutely useless.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i loved that part. it was like mission impossible or something.

really enjoyed the whole Shinra segment. the outside area near the road was so cool. the super shiny high tech hotel look about Shinra HQ was very well done i thought. i particularly liked the implementation of the propaganda videos. there was that one at Cosmo Theater that was kind of a evil side take on the Cosmic Canyon sequence in the original game when you are learning about the lifestream, i thought that was one of the most amazing & complex cgi cutscenes they have ever done.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Replaying chapter 9 lol I forgot how awesome that side quest is where you find The Sauce for that hippie laying on the ground. So good.

3 trophies left. Finally did this fucking annoying Bahamut and Ifrit fight. To be honest the biggest problem apart from those two gave me Shiva. Fuck these orbs which protect her from taking dmg...

But yeah once you do that trophy and you get Gotterdammerung you feel invisible basically :p

D.Final

Banned
It's a shame that almost all the sidequests of Final Fantasy VII Remake are, basically, ridiculously bad.
And almost all the "challenge" are just copy and paste.

A superficially (bad) work, in this front.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I got my limited edition soundtrack in from Japan the other day. 8 discs worth of music! I didn't realize there were that many tracks.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It's a shame that almost all the sidequests of Final Fantasy VII Remake are, basically, ridiculously bad.
yeah i disagree. i don't see why they are bad. honestly. no idea why people are so upset about them. i enjoyed them all.

tbh i was expecting a bunch of copy paste "go to the area and fight monsters" like there was in FFXV (which had like 10 of these type of missions in each area) but they showed remarkable restraint there. most of the side quests have you talking to people who live in Midgar. Johnny, Kyrie, Angel of the Slums, the kids with the wooden swords, etc. you get to know the people of Midgar more with some flavor text and do a standard quest. that's kind of what i wanted from this game, more Midgar. like the quest where you find music to cheer up the people who have had their hometown destroyed, im sure people hated that, but i loved it. lol that old man dancing.

no idea what people were expecting. FF isn't Witcher 3 and never has been.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
yeah i disagree. i don't see why they are bad. honestly. no idea why people are so upset about them. i enjoyed them all.

tbh i was expecting a bunch of copy paste "go to the area and fight monsters" like there was in FFXV (which had like 10 of these type of missions in each area) but they showed remarkable restraint there. most of the side quests have you talking to people who live in Midgar. Johnny, Kyrie, Angel of the Slums, the kids with the wooden swords, etc. you get to know the people of Midgar more with some flavor text and do a standard quest. that's kind of what i wanted from this game, more Midgar. like the quest where you find music to cheer up the people who have had their hometown destroyed, im sure people hated that, but i loved it. lol that old man dancing.

no idea what people were expecting. FF isn't Witcher 3 and never has been.

And I disagree with your opinion.

I prefer the sidequest of Final Fantasy XV rather than what we got with FFVII Remake, honestly.
And I'm enjoying much more playing Final Fantasy XV for explore the world, rather than the corridor offered by FFVII Remake.
FFXV>>>FFVII Remake (for me)

In any case, these are just opinions.
But, RESPECT THE RULES OF THIS OT.
(like all the others)
If you want continue to post here.

3- complete and total prohibition to compare this game with other games, in order to avoid unnecessary and unpleasant Off-Topic.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
RULES OF THIS FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE OT

[this is a message for all the users]

This is not a "general" conversation on Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Is a conversation about the game, game experiences, game opinions, advice, help, and unparalleled opinions, and stop.
Everything else, like sales, ideas, comparisons with other games, news conversations, free spoiler, or sequel discussions, are all Off-Topic conversations here.

To try to keep order in this conversation, I will clarify the basic points, and its rules.

1 - in this conversation it is possible to speak freely about the opinions of the game, and only about the options of the game.

2 - In this discussion you can give any kind of help and suggestion, in order to help and give advice to players in difficulty with the game.

3 - images, videos, trailers can be posted (official only related to FFVII Remake 1), but you cannot freely post too spoiler images for the main plot.
(such as final Bosses, filmed sequences of chapter 16/17 / and 18 in particular)
And try to cover as much as possible any spoiler with the appropriate forum spoiler tag.

4 - it is allowed to speak only of news concerning expressly and exclusively the videogame sector of Final Fantasy VII Remake (1).
[like DLC, patches, or free game updates]

In this conversation there is a ban on:

1 - talk about things unrelated to the game, including news about the sequels, sales data, spoilers and spilere articles dedicated to the game from other sites.

2- prohibition from attacking, or denigrating, users' personal opinions related to the game.

4- total ban on posting material considered as Spoilers, such as the examples mentioned above, and it is forbidden to post any other Spoilers without first having used the Spoiler function of the site.

5- ban on creating conversations, here, about news unrelated to the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake (1).
Including news regarding sales data, news on the sequel, on spoilers, on hypotheses, etc.....

I ask all users who take, or will take part in this OT to seriously respect the rules for a better, clean, and civil coexistence of this conversation.

Thanks for understanding

Last edited:
The side quests themselves aren't terrible, just none of them have any depth. The angel of the slums payoff was obvious very early on for multiple reasons. When a character model is high quality in this
game compared to the other NPCs that's easy to notice.

Also gating them by chapter makes the world feel less alive imo.

I also didn't feel rewarded by the ones I did. The story payoffs weren't there and the gear/materia gained didn't seem worth it.

To be honest though the side quests aren't really a major complaint for me. Could've been a lot better, but also not as bad as some are making them out to be.

Dis

Wow they did it!

They surpassed Final Fantasy XV !

Imo this was the best FF in years!
Great game! Great artwork too! And amazing voice acting. So nice to see square moving on from all the mistakes they made in the past. And just able to knock out this banger in what 4 years? (the development was restarted right?)

Yay!

TTOOLL

3 trophies left. Finally did this fucking annoying Bahamut and Ifrit fight. To be honest the biggest problem apart from those two gave me Shiva. Fuck these orbs which protect her from taking dmg...

But yeah once you do that trophy and you get Gotterdammerung you feel invisible basically :p

Shiva is easy if you equip Tifa with Ice + maxed elemental in armor. She will heal will the whole fight lol

TTOOLL

And I disagree with your opinion.

I prefer the sidequest of Final Fantasy XV rather than what we got with FFVII Remake, honestly.
And I'm enjoying much more playing Final Fantasy XV for explore the world, rather than the corridor offered by FFVII Remake.
FFXV>>>FFVII Remake (for me)

In any case, these are just opinions.
But, RESPECT THE RULES OF THIS OT.
(like all the others)
If you want continue to post here.

Lol wtf is this? Is this China?

Top Bottom