• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Good luck on the rest of the trials, especially the hard ones.

I know it will be a battle forsure but I got some motivational support today when I checked my Instagram and none other than Chadley voice actor Sean-Ryan Petersen offered me his congratulations on beating Bahamut. Awesome! ...I will never forget today.

53KyKwHh.jpg

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You guys had trouble woth the levers? Why? The game tells you which direct and when to push
What the prompt is actually trying to tell you regarding direction and timing, especially timing, can be confusing. Lots of people are looking at the on-screen overlay prompt instead of the actual control panel monitors. It fucks people up because they think they have to react to the levers, not realizing that it tells you beforehand which direction you need to go.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
From the subreddit (edit: the title was The Real Hardest Boss in the Game or something)

6a6bpcqix4v41.jpg

Seriously what the fuck was up with that part, I am not bad at this sort of rhythm thing generally and I failed this over and over and over again.
And then they pull an even worse version of this kind of minigame later with a pump.

Moogle11

Banned
Finally almost done with chapter 14. Side quests there are pretty annoying as the map is a bit confusing and the navigation sucks as many quest markers just point to the quest giver and nor what you need to fetch. ended up looking things up to get them over with as I hate wandering around hoping to stumble upon things.

Done with the story mission and sidequests. Will give the damn pull-up mini game a couple more tries when I’m less tired before moving on to chapter 15.

Nymphae

Banned
Finally almost done with chapter 14. Side quests there are pretty annoying as the map is a bit confusing and the navigation sucks as many quest markers just point to the quest giver and nor what you need to fetch. ended up looking things up to get them over with as I hate wandering around hoping to stumble upon things.

Completely agree about the navigation and I am also using a guide for these quests.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Side quests there are pretty annoying as the map is a bit confusing and the navigation sucks as many quest markers just point to the quest giver and nor what you need to fetch.
It can get frustrating, but I think the idea was so that quests just aren't a case of "follow the arrow". You're supposed to listen to the hints and then kinda figure it out on your own, like old school Final Fantasy.

Lethal01

Here is an observation I made since it keeps coming up

English Audio:

Japanese Audio:

The english audio has like, 3 times more "Anime Grunting" than the Japanese. They also boost the volume of all the grunts and the breathing and just about every vocalization.
A character can't nod without making noise in English.

It's... a very strange decision to me.

Last edited:

KrisB

About your spoiler, can you imagine the PS5 in its final year? Crazy shit....
I honestly can't imagine.

Just imagining some of the cutscenes from the original that they'll redo has me very hyped.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the Highwind. If we get to fly around everywhere or if it will act like more of a fast travel portal.

FFXV had the flying car but for memory it was a bit strange to control as there were invisible walls everywhere restricting where you could go.

D.Final

Banned
I honestly can't imagine.

Just imagining some of the cutscenes from the original that they'll redo has me very hyped.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the Highwind. If we get to fly around everywhere or if it will act like more of a fast travel portal.

FFXV had the flying car but for memory it was a bit strange to control as there were invisible walls everywhere restricting where you could go.

Technically you can fly everywhere in Final Fantasy XV with the Regalia Type-0.
And you can fly over all the continent of Lucis (the openworld section of the game) However you can only land only in the roads of the world.

In fact, Final Fantasy XV has an openworld so incredibly beautiful that I would like to see the second part of Final Fantasy VII Remake with a nextgen openworld.

P.S.:

Yesterday I defeated Hellhouse (hard mode) with Bahamut.
And today I tried my hand at trying to win the game's most difficult challenge, the last challenge of the second Shinra battle simulator.
Fight all Summon in a row. But it's tough.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

It is soooo going to the the airship from FFX2 all over again mark my words. I would love to see open world as much as the next guy, and yeah as D.Final D.Final says, FF15's world gives me hope, but I dunno man....

Manji Uzuki

It is soooo going to the the airship from FFX2 all over again mark my words. I would love to see open world as much as the next guy, and yeah as D.Final D.Final says, FF15's world gives me hope, but I dunno man....

Yeah I also think the airship will be similar to how they handle it in X-2. I also think that the towns will be connected through relatively big open areas like in FFXII and in some cases maybe something bigger like gran pulse in XIII. Another option would be to focus on towns and dungeons and have a traditional world map like in other RPGs like Blue Dragon which would be easy and a nice call back to the original but I highly doubt they do this.

Anyway I don't think we will get a open world like XV.

Moogle11

Banned
It can get frustrating, but I think the idea was so that quests just aren't a case of "follow the arrow". You're supposed to listen to the hints and then kinda figure it out on your own, like old school Final Fantasy.

Oh I get what they were going for and my first Final Fantasy was the very first one on the NES.

I've just always preferred linear games and with more open stuff at least having the option to “follow the arrow.” By turning on GPS style navigation or using the hell out the Clairvoyance spell in Oblivion/Skyrim. I like to get shit done in games and move on and don’t have much patience for wandering around figuring out where something is etc.

Just different strokes for different folks. They can’t please everyone, as evidenced by most thinking the game is too linear/follow the arrows. Plus, I’m really enjoying the game. Chapter 14 just less so due to that and killing the pacing with so many side quests thst didn’t have much narrative attached to them. I know they’re optional, but I don’t like skipping sidequests in case some have decent storylines and I suck at the combat and optimizing builds so I don’t want to be underleveled or miss any helpful gear/Materia.

Oh I get what they were going for and my first Final Fantasy was the very first one on the NES.

I've just always preferred linear games and with more open stuff at least having the option to “follow the arrow.” By turning on GPS style navigation or using the hell out the Clairvoyance spell in Oblivion/Skyrim. I like to get shit done in games and move on and don’t have much patience for wandering around figuring out where something is etc.

Just different strokes for different folks. They can’t please everyone, as evidenced by most thinking the game is too linear/follow the arrows. Plus, I’m really enjoying the game. Chapter 14 just less so due to that and killing the pacing with so many side quests thst didn’t have much narrative attached to them. I know they’re optional, but I don’t like skipping sidequests in case some have decent storylines and I suck at the combat and optimizing builds so I don’t want to be underleveled or miss any helpful gear/Materia.

Yeah I'm kinda disappointed about those sidequests. They don't really add to the story at all.

wvnative

Ugh grinding these stat up materia is a pain even with the 3x boost. But I'm almost there.

Looking for Opinions, after I beat
bahumut
, is it worth the pain and suffering of the
pride and joy
vr battle to get that limit break accessory before i new game+ on hard mode?

Moogle11

Banned
Yeah I'm kinda disappointed about those sidequests. They don't really add to the story at all.

Honestly, they don’t need to even add to the main story. Just make them interesting in and of themselves like most of the side quests in Witcher 3. Hell, even many of the simple hunt quests there had decent little stories attached. This game was in development for ages, they could have polished the writing and story make in side quests.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Honestly, they don’t need to even add to the main story.
they flesh out the town. Angel of the Slums, Kyrie, Johnny, etc. are all people who live in the slums and have a complicated relationship with Avalanche. i really enjoyed the worldbuilding.

not everything in a work has to "add to the main story". take all the flavor text out of great novels and just leave the plot points and you would have some boring stuff.
You guys had trouble woth the levers? Why? The game tells you which direct and when to push
yeah none of the platforming/puzzles/etc. stuff stumped me, it was always easy to find and follow through. compared to something like the cloister temples from Final Fantasy X this was light years ahead in terms of feasibility.

the map was really easy to use too. never got lost or had trouble finding my way in the 50+ hours of gameplay.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ugh grinding these stat up materia is a pain even with the 3x boost. But I'm almost there.

bahumut
pride and joy
Just new game + on hard mode and level up your materia that way. You also get manuscripts in the process to level up your weapons which you're gonna need to do anyway.

It's possible to beat those fresh after bearing the normal game but only of you're really good at combat. Most people can't so don't worry about it.

Don't do the tedious grind. Just play the game as usual. It's balanced enough that you'll maintain progression while enjoying a play through full of new experiences.

Moogle11

Banned
they flesh out the town. Angel of the Slums, Kyrie, Johnny, etc. are all people who live in the slums and have a complicated relationship with Avalanche. i really enjoyed the worldbuilding.

not everything in a work has to "add to the main story". take all the flavor text out of great novels and just leave the plot points and you would have some boring stuff.

I think you misread what you quoted as I said they didn’t need to flesh out the main story. I just wished the characters and storylines in the sidequests were more interesting to me. They don’t need to relate to the main story and I like side quest storylines that flesh out the world and lore. Most in The Witcher 3 had nothing to do with main plot, but added to the lore and many were satisfying self contained stories.

The ones in this game just haven't connected with me much. Especially the ones in Chapter 14. The ones earlier when Aerith first took you to that slum were a but better IMO. This last set added little for me. To each their own though. I’m glad to be done and looking forward to pushing on and finishing this up. Game is losing some of it’s luster for me the more I play.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah Ch 14 is def a slow point. after playing the next Chapters tho it makes sense they wanted a breather.

having just finally beaten the game, im like, wow, holy shit, that was amazing. entirely worth the wait. the game is not flawless but there is a lot of love there and it feels like a classic FF game. seriously, so many parts of this felt like it was ripped from a 16 bit entry. 50+ hours all in all and i skipped a few of the sidequests.

all in all, really wonderful. came out probably better than i expected! hah now im having a hard decision whether i want to play through the original again or replay this one. hmmm...

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I just wish the game didn't feel so stretched out. I'm in Ch 13 now and I'm definitely understanding the comparisons to the Hobbit movies.

It's like when they took one page from the Hobbit book about running away and made it 10 exhausting minutes of hanging on tree branches, jumping between them, ect. It's just so unnecessary. If you're not Kojima, you should probably keep your cutscenes on the shorter side.

jeffyjaixx

Technically you can fly everywhere in Final Fantasy XV with the Regalia Type-0.
And you can fly over all the continent of Lucis (the openworld section of the game) However you can only land only in the roads of the world.

In fact, Final Fantasy XV has an openworld so incredibly beautiful that I would like to see the second part of Final Fantasy VII Remake with a nextgen openworld.

P.S.:

Yesterday I defeated Hellhouse (hard mode) with Bahamut.
And today I tried my hand at trying to win the game's most difficult challenge, the last challenge of the second Shinra battle simulator.
Fight all Summon in a row. But it's tough.

That took me forever like at least a good 3-4 tries but the reward is so worth it.

jeffyjaixx

bahumut
pride and joy

I just played new game plus right away and levelled up my materia that way. Also unlocking new SPs for your weapons along the way as hard mode bosses give you that. Then when I got to Ch 17, I grinded out for that accessory.

Kev Kev

From the subreddit (edit: the title was The Real Hardest Boss in the Game or something)

6a6bpcqix4v41.jpg

Seriously what the fuck was up with that part, I am not bad at this sort of rhythm thing generally and I failed this over and over and over again.

this was the dumbest shit

even if you hit the sticks and line up the animations pefectly, it's a fail. you literally have to wait half a second and lift the sticks after she does, so the animation is actually delayed. its fucking retarded, but the game is full of nonsensical shit like this so i was just laughing tbh

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

6a6bpcqix4v41.jpg

Seriously, it took me like 10 minutes to open up the treasure room. I have no idea what they were thinking with this.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
levers definitely got me. it's easy to see what to do but for some reason it wasn't as simple as pushing both analog sticks at once. for some reason i had to press one earlier than the other.

def the roughest part of the game. the other mini game stuff was all flawless more or less.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
levers definitely got me. it's easy to see what to do but for some reason it wasn't as simple as pushing both analog sticks at once. for some reason i had to press one earlier than the other.

def the roughest part of the game. the other mini game stuff was all flawless more or less.

Yeah, I would consistently get Cloud right while Barret would be too slow. I started thinking maybe my PS4 controller was defective.

Just finished the game minutes ago and it's my GOTY.
I loved every they did here from the battle system to the extra scenes and development of characters, to the music and the many remixes of the tracks and the amazing work done by the voice actors.
Bravo to SE, Nomura and all who worked on the game.
Hopefully Part 2 will be out soon.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finally got back into it yesterday after having to take time off it for a couple weeks and I really like it so far. I'm in Chapter 3. The most nostalgic part for me was the train so far. The Mark of the Traitor music and Anxious Heart all kinds of nostalgia vibes. This may sound dumb, but I wanna take a long time with it. I wanna do like a chapter a day or half a chapter a day. I don't wanna burn through it and then move on, I wanna savor it, since it might be a long while before the next one, and I'm worried future episodes will be small and linear so they can get them out quickly and this episode might be the best of the bunch. But I hope I'm wrong. If they do the other parts as loyal as this, it'll be amazing. But them deciding what to do when the world opens up is gonna be a big decision. They're doing a great job so far, but far from out of the woods on this being a full and amazing remake through all the episode releases.

Moogle11

Banned
Saved for the night at the start of chapter 16. It was nice getting back to to soak action after chapter 14 was pretty slow with all the side quests etc. Still mostly loving it, playtime at 38 hours, probably closer to 37 with idle time.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Looking for a song

The song that you can hear sephiroths theme in the very far background, it plays in that comet video after shinra's presentation

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I beat the game's strongest secret boss yesterday.
And the reward is practically OP.
Now I am dedicating myself to the Platinum trophy. And when I get it platinum I will write a summary of my total impressions of the game.

P.S .: I would have preferred that the challenges of the battle simulators and the coliseum were all original (since they are few), and not all copy and paste with each individual character.
(excluding group ones in 2 or 3 characters)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
P.S .: I would have preferred that the challenges of the battle simulators and the coliseum were all original (since they are few), and not all copy and paste with each individual character.
(excluding group ones in 2 or 3 characters)
I think it's insightful because it keeps the enemies as a constant variable so it shows you how different each character's approach to handling those fights are. I would like additional battles that are individually tailored to each characters' strengths and weaknesses too. Need moar DLC.

D.Final

Banned
I think it's insightful because it keeps the enemies as a constant variable so it shows you how different each character's approach to handling those fights are. I would like additional battles that are individually tailored to each characters' strengths and weaknesses too. Need moar DLC.

I would have liked that the challenges of the coliseum and the battle simulator had been treated in a more original and interesting way, instead of proposing copy and paste challenges for 80% of the challenges offered.

Because this is, basically, the level of superficiality with which these challenges are proposed:

Challenge 1 Cloud (easy): defeat enemies A, B, C, D alone.

Challenge 1 Aerith (easy): defeat enemies A, B, C, D alone.

Challenge 1 Tifa (easy): defeat enemies A, B, C, D alone.

Challenge 1 Barret (easy): defeat enemies A, B, C, D alone.

Challenge 2 Cloud (normal): defeat enemies E, F, G, H alone.

Challenge 2 Aerith (normal): defeat enemies E, F, G, H alone.

Challenge 2 Tifa (normal): defeat enemies E, F, G, H alone.

Challenge 2 Barret (normal): defeat enemies E, F, G, H alone.

Challenge 3 Cloud (Hard) : defeat enemies I, J, K, L alone.

Challenge 3 Aerith (Hard) : Defeat enemies I, J, K, L, alone.

Challenge 3 Tifa (Hard) : Defeat enemies I, J, K, L, alone.

Challenge 3 Barret (Hard) : defeat enemies I, J, K, L alone.

[and this process has been applied both to the challenges of the coliseum and to the battle simulator]
(because 80% are like this)

And even if yes their approach may be slightly different because you use a different character, the juice does not change.
Because you just have to keep the same set of Materia and the fear passes.
For this reason I found them made, generally, in a very superficial way and without any commitment from the developers.
(with rare exceptions of 2 of the challenges for 3, at the Shinra battle simulator n°2, Hard mode)

Last edited:

TTOOLL

I think now Jessie might have lived...At the beginning of chapter 13 you're running an Barret asks you if you've seen Jessie and Biggs, Tifa says yes but they were in pretty bad shape. She also tells Barret they didn't see Wedge. So...

You might see her again. Great character imo.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
loved the combat simulator and battle VR. taking on the same lineup with different solo characters was a challenge that highlighted the differences in playstyle greatly.

obviously the next game's Golden Saucer needs an epic battle zone. but imo these were more than fine for a first entry.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

Just beat the game. My first meeting with Final Fantasy VII. Awesome game and experience. One of my favourites of this generation.
Aerith is love.

(I hope she won't die in the next part, I really liked her dynamic with Cloud.)

I think they just want us to believe that so that when it happens it will hit harder :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Replaying the game in Hard mode now. Just got at the end of chapter 4 but I'm having such a blast so far. Battles are much more interesting and actually forcing you to use all possibilities and think on different strategies. Also...

When I saw the Scorpion doing the double laser thing... holy shit! I didn't expect that at all. Some bosses getting new movements or patterns will make this much more fun

Top Bottom