• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Should Never be Remade

luka

Loves Robotech S1
If Square did this, they would try to please everyone, mess up everything, and no one would be happy. Best to just leave it alone. If people want to replay the game, it's going to be around forever.

I wouldn't mind a simple collection of touched up, high resolution ports though. Like the PC version of 7 but with less suck.

Ichabod said:
Old as dirt, but these pics still convince me I'd pay good money for a remake.
lqC5bl.jpg

slxo1l.jpg

d1K55l.jpg

qBhGOl.jpg

I think I came a little bit

For me there's 2 options:

- Re-make for handhelds: Pre-rendered backgrounds with higly detailed characters, just with more cinematic angles an such. Everything else just as the original.Maybe some added side-uests.

- Re-make for HD consoles: 3D backgrounds, 3D characters, with a highly detailed over world. Everything else just as the original.Maybe some added side-uests.

Didn't Square say the only way they'd be allowed to make a ff7 remake is if they did it in a YEAR? I also remember them saying they don't need to remake it because you can already play ff7 on ps3.

not going to happen this gen.

it'll be a ps4 launch title, just you wait.

Fusebox

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
- Re-make for handhelds: Pre-rendered backgrounds with higly detailed characters, just with more cinematic angles an such. Everything else just as the original.Maybe some added side-uests.

I want this for iPad so bad.

bdizzle said:
I think I came a little bit

slxo1l.jpg
I don't think we need huge menus filled with statistics and lists and so on in 2011. They may have been convenient in 1997, but we don't need turn-based combat and character stats management anymore.

hatchx

Banned
To be quite honest with all of you, I'd take an FF7 port for 3DS with touch screen controls and 3D-ized worlds. Same graphics/sound, everything.

anaron

They've bastardized the original so badly with its horrible spinoffs and utterly failed in re-creating anything approaching the original's atmosphere and tone. But hey, who cares! more Genesis for all!

Computer said:
I don't think we need huge menus filled with statistics and lists and so on in 2011. They may have been convenient in 1997, but we don't need turn-based combat and character stats management anymore.

pressXtowin.gif

If you want that kind of systen on something that's not an RPG, be my guest. But if you want a crossover of Mass Effect with Final Fantasy, no sir, you should not be here.

Computer said:

ok this is confirmation that you are a troll. you have the unpopular opinion in every thread i saw you posting. this is obvious

Psy-Phi

I disagree about music, it has been done better Orchestral style, and it's oh so amazing. So if they could put that sort of effort into it, I'm all for it.

I think the game would better be on a handheld though. No need to waste shelf space and budget on a console title. They need to keep a similar look of the game, much like they've done for the FF games on DS thus far. They're quite different, but still ironically similar at the same time. A far cry from the FF games on consoles (12 & 13).

Pie and Beans said:
Nibelheim section in Crisis Core renewed my frothing anticipation for it.
A47oX.jpg

dso7w.jpg

It shall be done.

Seeing this makes me wonder if we'll see a PSP remaster at some point. I think theres a reasonable chance it will happen.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Computer said:
A bit too obvious. I doubt you're going to catch anything with that.

Gvaz

Banned
Mlatador said:
IMHO everything looks aweful. characters too "colorless", too realistic and the menues downright unpleasant and too modern (ff7 uses a very classical menue design that is very reminiscent of the previous titles). why would a ff7 remake use a menu style that is reminiscent of later titles? not faithful to the original...
This post is exactly WHY they're not doing a remake.

It's a remake, it's obviously not going to be a 1:1, but that's what fans want apparently, but that's not whatthey want to make, so it's simply not being remade.

That being said, those images look too FF13 to me, and that game was awful.

Computer said:
No, you don't need them, but there is still a desire for them. There is nothing wrong with that sort of thing itself.

Gravijah

Psy-Phi said:
I disagree about music, it has been done better Orchestral style, and it's oh so amazing. So if they could put that sort of effort into it, I'm all for it.

disagree, but i absolutely adore the instruments used in the original FF7 score. a "proper" update of FF7 music would be a nice mixture of electronic and orchestrated with a nice helping of guitar and 70s style rock organ.

I mostly "shocked" that SE hasnt released the classic versions FFV-FFVIII on PSN/XBLA with trophies and achievements.

Talk about a missed golden opportunity... SE really gotta hate easy money hur hur.

highluxury said:
I mostly "shocked" that SE hasnt released the classic versions FFV-FFVIII on PSN/XBLA with trophies and achievements.

Talk about a missed golden opportunity... SE really gotta hate easy money hur hur.
They already released the ROMs and ISOs for the old FF games on Nintendo and Sony systems. Releasing ports that only added trophies wouldn't net them any extra money than they already got, and it would require some amount of time and money to implement.

They've made all the money they can make on the pre-ps2 stuff. Now they have to update the ps2 games, which they seem to be doing.

H_Prestige said:
They already released the ROMs and ISOs for the old FF games on Nintendo and Sony systems. Releasing ports that only added trophies wouldn't net them any extra money than they already got, and it would require some amount of time and money to implement.

They've made all the money they can make on the pre-ps2 stuff. Now they have to update the ps2 games, which they seem to be doing.

I'd still vouch for something like FF on PSN/XBLA... nowadays its an easy sell to achievetrophy whores and adds more incentive to replay the game.

Im sure Im not the only one.

And since when has that stopped SE from re-releasing their old games? :p

Yoboman

I say re-do the prerendered backgrounds, upgrade the models to match the environment and redo the overworld to keep the quality consistent

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Outside of maybe the script, since many of the older games had god awful scripts, basically everything in the OP applies to all the other FF games before VII that have already been remade with good success.

0 HP

I totally agree. I hated FFX and XIII, but if they were 16 or 32 bit games I'd probably love them. There's a juvenile charm that FF lost when it left PS1

Holy crap, what the hell happened in this thread.

Mlatador said:
and if you then took all those "different", subjetive, indivual opinions and counted them, and got like - let's say - 80 per cent who agree that FF7 was still better in those aspects, THEN you could claim that "objectively" final fantasy is still one of the best, if not, the best rgp ever made :)
Your subjective opinion of the definition of objective is objectively incorrect.

I agree. I didn't picture Advent Children designs in my mind when I played FFVII for the first time...those designs are so corny. I don't think they could come up with anything better as Nomura is not very down to earth. His rag-tag peasant rebels look like super-stylish rich people of questionable gender.

Top Bottom