• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII Released 25 Years Ago

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

tumblr_lpn8ebnZkV1qb8m44o1_400.jpg

sigmaZ

I so want to like the game more than I do, but the dialog is spastic. It feels like a fever dream. The gameplay is not bad with modern speed and framerates. I was over slow framerates and loaded animations at the time of its release so I got bored of it back then. I would definitely be up for a remake though. I think drawing could be a fun mechanic in real time.

cireza

What are your favourite moments from this stunning story?
Hum... none ? Stunning ? Really ?

I love this game for the atmosphere, the soundtrack, Triple Triad, the broken mechanics, the feeling of characters gaining power, the stupid G-Forces, the even more stupid Limit Breaks, finding magazines and material to forge weapons etc... But the story ? Never cared about it, sorry.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
In Japan.

The US release was in September up against the Dreamcast launch.
Thanks for this. I thought the timing was off because I was still an undergrad 25 years ago but in grad school later that year. I think there was a demo for this game I remember playing before getting the game day1.

Triple Triad is still one of the best and most addicting mini games in video games.

And the coolest character ever, Sorceress _______ joining your party, is still one of the best moments in FF history, for me.

I have a very strong love/hate relationship with that game (Love = Gameplay and ideas the game had, but didn't explore. Hate = Impossible to say it without going on a rant)

To the point I dropped it right before the final dungeon, and deleted my save out of frustration, a decision I regret to this day, I'm really fucking stupid.

But I'm glad most people don't share my feelings.

Great, underrated game.

Go_Ly_Dow

I so want to like the game more than I do, but the dialog is spastic. It feels like a fever dream. The gameplay is not bad with modern speed and framerates. I was over slow framerates and loaded animations at the time of its release so I got bored of it back then. I would definitely be up for a remake though. I think drawing could be a fun mechanic in real time.

That's the best part. It carries the spirit of David Lynch in places lol.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Great game. Always has been. Haters can suck it.

I should replay it to have a full grasp of the story, it’s been so long. Even FF9 felt senseless to me for the longest time, then I replayed it with a few cheats and the faster pace helped me understand things much better. That’s the problem with games this long, stuff gets lost and forgotten before it can make sense. Japanese storytelling tropes definitely don’t help with that.

I always liked the gameplay in FF8. It’s not easy to let go of the genre standards and understand that in FF8 you should not grind levels. On my second playthrough I used a FAQ that explained how to power up your characters without leveling up and it was a ton of fun. Nothing bad with being OP.

I always liked the characters, too. Yeah, I was an angsty lone wolf as a teenager myself, so Squall kinda resonated with me. I loved the party in FF8. Today I’d probably think they’re all idiots, but in 1999 I loved the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And finally it's not my most hated FF game now. 🤣

It's alright. I hold 7 and 8 equally in the PS1 era games (9 beats them both, IMO).

The jump in visuals from 7 to 8 is pretty damn big, with the proportional character models everywhere and the pre-rendered backgrounds having so much more detail.

The intro CGI is still one of the GOATs.

Doom85

Honestly one of the weaker FFs for me, but in a post-16 world, I feel it would be worth revisiting, at least even the weaker FFs of the past cared about their RPG elements even if they were flawed.

Loved this game as a kid. When the live CGI kicked in with the missiles being sent to the school blew my kid brain.

I hope they remake and get rid of the draw system. I hated that

hinch7

Dang, that long ago. I really liked the game at the time. Hasn't aged well gameplay wise, but it brings back good memories and times. The music, characters and story were all just sublime.

Still remember the epic opening..

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I like this interpretation of the story.

Everything about this game seems so surreal. It has its flaws but overall the game really stuck with me, there’s nothing else like it. It also has one of the best soundtracks in the series, better than VII even

The tone shift of Squall and Rinoa’s relationship is still whiplash I’m recovering from to this very day.

Also f*ck level scaling

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I love this game. Is it flawed? Absolutely. Does the Junction system make magic essentially useless? Yup. Does the story get super weird at the end? 100%.

But the game just works. For all of its faults, the junction system is really cool. Triple Triad is the best mini-game I have ever played. Being able to get (almost) every single Ultimate Weapon on the first disc of the game is sick. The manual crit you can trigger with the gunblade is awesome, although I wish that had been incorporated into the other characters' attacks as well. I just love this game. One of the greats.

And for those who need/want it:

OuterLimits

I loved 6,7,9,10, but stopped after about 20 hours of FF 8. Triple Triad was the only thing I was enjoying.(besides music)

Davesky

The junction system isn’t a problem at all if it’s your first time playing the game, only on following playthroughs.

The story is great, the orphanage scenario makes perfect sense considering the antagonists manipulation of events outside space and time and fits in with the games themes of fate and synchronicity. Don’t listen to the haters.

In retrospect though I wish they spent more time focusing on building the world map and proper character development instead of blowing all their budget and time on flashy cutscenes and triple triad, as good as they are, in attempts to make the game feel less empty.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

I recently found a vid about about the "Whatever" thing and found out it's was poor translation.

FF8 was my first FF game on release. Fond memories but busted ass mechanics.
Music was great.
Story was meh (unless you follow the Squalls dead theory)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
VIII is up there with VII, X comes close and IX is okay for a FF fix but VII & VIII are the GOATS.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man with a machine gun. Oh baby!!!!

One of the best battle themes of all time. I love it when JRPGs switch up the battle theme. First time you get into a battle with Laguna you hear the familiar swoosh sound as the battle starts, then that song starts and you’re like “oh shit, what’s this?” And it’s a banger.

Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia) did something similar with the Disc 2 music. Disc 2 boss theme is another kickass song that hits hard :

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Crazy to think that we got VII, VIII, IX, and X all in a span of just over 4 years. Even if you didn’t like a FF game, it wasn’t like now where you have to wait an entire fucking console generation to play the next one.

Top Bottom