• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Trailer [for PS4, Switch, XboxOne and PC]

Breakage

I was surprised to hear about this. It looks as if they have gone for a look similar to the character models in Kingdom Hearts.

ExpandKong

Banned
I’ll just say 3 things.

1. “Well the name is Final FANTASY” is the dumbest and least satisfying possible way to explain away all of the bizarre things that happen in FF VIII. That’s 100x worse than the “it’s a dream” theory.

2. In any kind of mythology/fiction/religious tradition/etc, when a character dies and comes back to life, that is a profoundly significant and transformative moment for that character’s development. For Squall, not only isn’t it not significant, but nobody even considers it to be demanding of an explanation at all. Just “huh, I’m alive and I have no wound” and then nobody so much as mentions it again. Very dream-like in that something earth-shattering can happen one moment and then be forgotten the next moment as if it didn’t really happen.

3. There are lots of other bizarre twists like that, where they should have some huge significance, yet they just come and go as if it’s the natural course of things and never get mentioned again. E.g. NORG, the big alien thingy that lives in the basement of Balamb garden and controls the school. You discover hI’m, kill him, then that’s it, nobody mentions it again or wonders what in the hell just happened.

Honestly the only alternative in my mind is that it’s poorly written and/or rushed/not as fleshed out as it should be. But I prefer the theory and so that’s why I’m sticking to it.

1. I mean, I dunno what more to tell ya. It’s always funny to me when people bring up how bizarre and strange certain elements of FF8 are and use that as a reason to buy into this. Like, “Guardian Forces? Okay. Chocobos? Sure. Body-jacking some dude in the past? Still on board. But Moombas? That’s where I draw the fucking line. Monsters live on the moon? This is clearly a death dream. Except for that other FF game where monsters lived on the moon, that one was real.”

2. You know what would easily explain the fact that nobody really mentions Squall dying and coming back to life? The fact that that’s not at all what happened. You’re using the point you’re trying to prove as proof of itself.

3. NORG is discussed more by the citizens of Shumi village. I may be misremembering, but I think the headmaster of Galbadia Garden mentions him briefly at some point too? Did it deserve more attention? Sure absolutely. But I mean...

I’ve played most of the Final Fantasy games, and as much as I love the series, based on its history if one choice is “not super well-written or thought out” and the other choice is “brilliant subtle secret meaning” it should be pretty clear what’s happening with FF8.

It’s my favorite of the PS1 FF games but I love it for what it is.

BruceCM

I’ve played most of the Final Fantasy games, and as much as I love the series, based on its history if one choice is “not super well-written or thought out” and the other choice is “brilliant subtle secret meaning” it should be pretty clear what’s happening with FF8.
Yeah... incredibly subtle, deep, convoluted, brilliant, secret meaning, right? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Pallas

Gold Member
I didn’t see it posted yet, or I missed it but the original FFVIII had pocketstation functionality which never got shipped outside of Japan. Now the little side game called Chocobo World was playable through this(looks like an ancient game boy game) where you can collect items(even GF Moomba & Mog) that can be transfer to your ffviii game.

Now the PC version iirc has the chocobo world mini game, I’m wondering if FFVIII remaster will have it or some way to get said items.

Last edited:
Just tried to reinstall the current Steam version and the EULA already refers to it as the Remastered version. Weird. Is it coming sooner than we think?
Or maybe someone was just extremely premature with updating the EULA lol

Last edited:
Seems like this confirms the backgrounds haven't been improved. Looks like they've blurred them slightly which doesn't really make the games art direction look coheisive.

At least for the current version of FFVIII on PC there's a AI upscaling mode for the backgrounds which may hopefully be salvaged and ported for the remaster on PC. Console users are still gonna get buggered though.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Seems like this confirms the backgrounds haven't been improved. Looks like they've blurred them slightly which doesn't really make the games art direction look coheisive.

At least for the current version of FFVIII on PC there's a AI upscaling mode for the backgrounds which may hopefully be salvaged and ported for the remaster on PC. Console users are still gonna get buggered though.
It's likely to be a port of the Steam version with upgraded assets

Both FF7 and FF9 were the steam editions, so with some fiddling, you're able to install a good portion of the PC mods into the Switch version :D

Can't say the same for PS4/XBone IIUC

lifa-cobex

Mandatory
qsj75vpz2as11.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does this have a release date yet?

stranno

You should play FFVI "remaster" then. The mix of styles is absolutely horrendous: Vanilla pixelated backgrounds + horrible redrawn sprites + giant touch buttons for menus + 10 polygons building models in the world map.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Surely they can get somebody on AI uoscaling the backgrounds, but whatever. I’m in.

Retail disk release? Digital only sounds like a safe bet. Just hope the price is good. This has had a LOT more work than any of the others, after all...

D.Final

Banned
Surely they can get somebody on AI uoscaling the backgrounds, but whatever. I’m in.

Retail disk release? Digital only sounds like a safe bet. Just hope the price is good. This has had a LOT more work than any of the others, after all...

There are several speculations and clues that say that Final Fantasy VIII Remastered will be released in physical version :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Reactions: TLZ

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin

There are several speculations and clues that say that Final Fantasy VIII Remastered will be released in physical version :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I'd buy all physical versions if I could

D.Final

Banned
Would love it if they somehow could fix the game balance.

I believe that the general work that will be done will be strictly centered on the general resolution of the game, in the end.
(and perhaps a possible dubbing for the game, of which there was a rumor a month ago its realization)

mango drank

Re: AI-upscaled backgrounds, if this upcoming FFVIII remaster for PC isn't too locked down, maybe modders will be able to patch it to be able to swap in upscaled background images, the way they did for the FFVII and FFIX PC releases.

D.Final

Banned
Re: AI-upscaled backgrounds, if this upcoming FFVIII remaster for PC isn't too locked down, maybe modders will be able to patch it to be able to swap in upscaled background images, the way they did for the FFVII and FFIX PC releases.

I'm sure that Final Fantasy VIII Remastered will still have excellent/ lgood backgrounds in general.

So I believe that there will be no need for any intervention by the modders for the PC version.

Shifty

I'm sure that Final Fantasy VIII Remastered will still have excellent/ lgood backgrounds in general.

So I believe that there will be no need for any intervention by the modders for the PC version.
Judging by the best-looking-guy-here screenies above, the backgrounds are identical to the ones in the original release. You can see the individual pixels if you look at the strand of hanging plant on the right side of the frame.

While I can’t stand the game overall, one of the best parts to it is the ability to break it REAL early with a bit of effort.
What's the deal with that? I've heard people talk about abusing the shit out of the draw system, and I remember getting stomped by Biggs, Wedge and Elvoret last time I took a swing at the game. Wouldn't hurt to buff up a little for when I play the remaster.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Waiting for this remaster is going to kill me, since I was just about to start up a play through right before this got announced.

Ugh I can't wait...plus I imagine they'll do some fine tuning to this and make it more interesting :D
What's the deal with that? I've heard people talk about abusing the shit out of the draw system, and I remember getting stomped by Biggs, Wedge and Elvoret last time I took a swing at the game. Wouldn't hurt to buff up a little for when I play the remaster.
Enemy level scales off of Squall's level, so you can keep him dead the entire game and one shot mobs with the rest of the characters
The attributes gained by a junction also scale off of how many of 1 spell you have, 99xUltima IIRC is the best spell/stat
You can also refine cards into items, and then items into spells, though it takes a shit ton of card grinding to do, there's a junction ability that turns enemies into cards once you have grinded a bit

There's a lot of interesting ways to break the mechanics of the game, and I want to say because of that alot of people coin FF8 as the easiest FF, though I haven't dug into the FF fan base for quite a while (Around when 13 came out)

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Myths

OP or breaking your characters early on comes down to the draw system and manipulating the Triple Triad rule set. Then refining the cards and all that shit, it’s been a long ass time since I last played but yeah.... I was big flexing early on.
The story is super dumb, full of plot holes, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it all the same. Fantastic music by Nobuo Uematsu, excellent art direction and a unique setting for its time.
Agreed. Let me be more specific, the score and setting were really enjoyable. There’s something about 7-9 that just felt similar but different during the PS1 gen.

It was the story and characters that I didn’t find at all redeemable. I could do with the battle system mechanics, draw and junction system. The level scaling, a-OK. For this reason, I don’t rank it way down since I still value a somewhat solid game.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

The new character models look good; going to get this on PC for when the modders improve the backgrounds like with VII and IX.

Teslerum

There's plenty of graphical mods (including backgrounds) already for FFVIII, so the demand for AI upscaled backgrounds is not that high actually as it is for VII and IX.

More likely, there may be mods ported if the port is easy enough to mod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom