• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Gamescom Trailer

SirNinja

Why do they insist on changing shit that doesn't need to be changed. The visuals look great, just keep that.

Visuals can always be better. Why would anyone turn down increased texture resolution? As for the character models: they've been getting better and better every time we see them. No reason to believe they won't look great by the time this goes gold.

Why tweak the music or font.
Because the music sounds better when you've got live instruments. The battle theme isn't FFX's strongest track, but the new version is a great improvement in my opinion.

I'm with you on the font, though. It's like they deliberately chose the blandest typeface they had.
Wish they'd gone with something like Eurostile for damage numbers/HP/MP and something like Minion for dialogue/text.</typography geek>

Looks better than XIII-2 or Lightning Returns.

If anyone's reading this 5+ years from now and wondering when the hatred for the FF13 trilogy went from "mostly unwarranted" to "downright irrational", this is a decent place to start.

Seriously, as faulty as the games may be, a great deal of the hatred directed at them is just utterly blind. Perfect example right here.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder why they even bothered releasing those screenshots with the weird character models if they were going to fix them anyway.

Jeels

If anyone's reading this 5+ years from now and wondering when the hatred for the FF13 trilogy went from "mostly unwarranted" to "downright irrational", this is a decent place to start.

Seriously, as faulty as the games may be, a great deal of the hatred directed at them is just utterly blind. Perfect example right here.

I completely disagree. Some of the shots sent out for LR look significantly worse than these FFX/X-2 HD screens.

And artwise isn't even up for discussion.

SirNinja

lol everyone overkills while Rikku does >1000 ... in HD!

I typically don't grind much pre-Moonflow for that reason, but those plans usually...don't end up working.
(Hey, that Chocobo Eater wasn't going to push himself off the cliff...)

The overkill text looks kind of...I dunno...less exciting? But no biggie, overall it feels like this is how HD remakes should be done. Can't wait to play these once again.

This. So well said. FF XIII and XIII-2 are so much better than they're given credit for. Sure, X is better without question, but the hate and disregard surrounding the XIII games has grown comically out of hand. It's silly. While I am more excited for this, I can't wait for Lightning Returns either.

Why do they insist on changing shit that doesn't need to be changed. The visuals look great, just keep that. Why tweak the music or font. This is about nostalgia not experimental bs. The youtube description says the new tracks are only for battle/overdrive hopefully it's not everything and they don't George Lucas any other songs.

get ready for dissapointment. over 60 tracks have been changed.

flyover

Wish they'd gone with something like Eurostile for damage numbers/HP/MP and something like Minion for dialogue/text.</typography geek>
Eurostile would actually suit the numbers well. Hadn't thought about Minion (or any other non-slab serif) for the dialogue, but I guess we should just be happy with anything that isn't the insane small caps font they used in FF XII.

Famassu

Why do they insist on changing shit that doesn't need to be changed. The visuals look great, just keep that. Why tweak the music or font. This is about nostalgia not experimental bs. The youtube description says the new tracks are only for battle/overdrive hopefully it's not everything and they don't George Lucas any other songs.
The original midis sound somewhat bad/dated, there's nothing wrong in making new arrangements with the improved tech. And seriously, I don't see anything wrong with the font, that's just hyperbolic nitpicking. The original UI looks like shit.

And AFAIK, they are re-arranging over 60 songs. It's the trailer that only has a new arrangement of the battle theme.

Aurizen

I think this music will grow on everyone...

I think this week is PAX we can only hope this week will bring us. I would love to see Anima.

solid mike

I hope they offer the limited edition like how Tales of Xillia made pre-ordering automatically make your copy into limited edition.

SirNinja

I hope they offer the limited edition like how Tales of Xillia made pre-ordering automatically make your copy into limited edition.

That's what they're doing. All preorders of the PS3 version are auto-upgraded to the Limited Edition for free. (Vita preorders are still not up yet, so who knows what's happening there.)

I typically don't grind much pre-Moonflow for that reason, but those plans usually...don't end up working.
(Hey, that Chocobo Eater wasn't going to push himself off the cliff...)

Rikku ends up fine pretty fast as long as you follow the general strategy of making sure that she, like everyone else, gets at least one turn in per battle. Her very high agility and her Steal command make that an even better proposition.

Basically, the key thing with Rikku is to make sure that you are able to get her access to that one spot on her Sphere Grid where there are two STR+4 nodes in a row immediately after a locked sphere (can't remember if it's lv 3 or lv 4). As soon as she gets that, she becomes incredibly useful for actual damage-dealing purposes.

However, I don't know if that pair of nodes exists in either of the International grids.

SirNinja

Basically, the key thing with Rikku is to make sure that you are able to get her access to that one spot on her Sphere Grid where there are two STR+4 nodes in a row immediately after a locked sphere (can't remember if it's lv 3 or lv 4). As soon as she gets that, she becomes incredibly useful for actual damage-dealing purposes.

However, I don't know if that pair of nodes exists in either of the International grids.

The regular International grid is the same as the original one, just with a few new ability nodes added. The Expert grid has everyone start in the center, so anyone can go on any path. (There are a lot of people who take Rikku through Auron's path first, for all the extra HP and +4 Strength nodes, saving her usual and more specialized abilities for later.)

The regular International grid is the same as the original one, just with a few new ability nodes added. The Expert grid has everyone start in the center, so anyone can go on any path. (There are a lot of people who take Rikku through Auron's path first, for all the extra HP and +4 Strength nodes, saving her usual and more specialized abilities for later.)

Interesting.

Hobbun

I always have taken it that they are trying to show she is always on her toes, ready to move at all times. So she is bouncing, ready to get out of the way, or to attack quickly.

And the Standard grid has more free nodes, right?

fates

I had imagined that she had some muscle/motor issues due to being hit with a lightning spell when she was young or something.

Oh yeah I remember something like that, she got really upset in the Lightning fields. She was one of my favorite party members, really liked the item tossing and mixing.

I'm so excited to hear the remastered versions of "Enemy Attack," "Sprouting," "Raid," and "The Final Battle." Those songs are incredible as they are -- I can't even imagine what they'll sound like remastered.

(This is assuming that every track that was not originally recorded live is getting remastered, which it sounds like is the case.)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if you can still
use Phoenix Down on Evrae Atlanta.

SirNinja

And the Standard grid has more free nodes, right?

Right; the regular grid has about 50 more nodes than the Expert grid. (It's still possible to get optimal stats for everyone on both grids, though.)

I wonder if you can still
use Phoenix Down on Evrae Atlanta.

Why wouldn't you be able to? It's in permanent Zombie status - rules are rules.

I don't think that was an oversight, either. If you hadn't been leveling Tidus, Wakka, and/or Rikku before that point, you'd probably find yourself permanently stuck if it weren't for that tactic.

Code:
(07:54:22 PM) charlequin: sigh
(07:57:28 PM) stump: sigh to that thread
(07:57:30 PM) stump: your life
(07:57:33 PM) stump: or my conundrum
(07:59:21 PM) charlequin: stump: sighing because i watched the new FFX HD trailer and remembered what it was like to be young 
and flush with possibility and now i am drinking while contemplating my own mortality

Really looking forward to this, even though it'll always be a bit bittersweet to remember this as the penultimate hurrah of the Final Fantasy series.

Tohsaka

Have they said anything one way or the other about whether this will be dual audio, or if there will be an Asian version with English text?

Famassu

Code:
(07:54:22 PM) charlequin: sigh
(07:57:28 PM) stump: sigh to that thread
(07:57:30 PM) stump: your life
(07:57:33 PM) stump: or my conundrum
(07:59:21 PM) charlequin: stump: sighing because i watched the new FFX HD trailer and remembered what it was like to be young 
and flush with possibility and now i am drinking while contemplating my own mortality

Really looking forward to this, even though it'll always be a bit bittersweet to remember this as the penultimate hurrah of the Final Fantasy series.
Lol, how is this the penultimate hurraah of anything, let alone the FF series?

randomkid

I don't know what it is about this game and FF5, they're the only two Final Fantasies I don't have even the slightest desire to replay, despite really enjoying them at the time. Watching that trailer did absolutely nothing for me, I wish I could figure out what it is.

Aurizen

I don't know what it is about this game and FF5, they're the only two Final Fantasies I don't have even the slightest desire to replay, despite really enjoying them at the time. Watching that trailer did absolutely nothing for me, I wish I could figure out what it is.

im really pumped for this game. I hope we get a release date this week!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So where can I pre-order this in the UK to get that limited edition/Artwork version?
We don't know yet. I've asked GAME/Gamestop and they'll contact me once they know.

Squire

Banned
I always have taken it that they are trying to show she is always on her toes, ready to move at all times. So she is bouncing, ready to get out of the way, or to attack quickly.

Exactly. It's a little like a boxing stance. It just denotes her speed.

Atlantis

rikku was always useless for me. I never trained her much... it would have been better if she came with a lot of AP that would get her to the level of the party.

Rikku's main purpose in battle is Steal and Use so she's pretty much ready to go as soon as she joins. (Her HP starts low but the beginning of her grid is covered in HP nodes.) As long as you're stealing, she's an amazing character. Her offensive items keep up with the rest of the party for most of the game and she easily eclipses Yuna and Wakka's support abilities.

Her low STR isn't a problem. Her turns in regular encounters are best spent stealing anyway, and she should be spending her time in real fights supporting or attacking with items. If you're really itching to make use of that Attack command, customize her a weapon with on-hit Stone or Death effects.

lol everyone overkills while Rikku does >1000 ... in HD!

Lulu didn't even use her Overdrive.

After Final Fantasy X/X-2 there was (and will ever be) exactly one more good FF game ever released (FFXII.) Seems pretty obvious?

It's not obvious at all for those of us to whom XIII and XIII-2 were good (actually, great) games. Surprise! Not everyone dislikes the XIII games. It's too early to say either way for Lightning Returns, and I shouldn't even have to mention why passing off XV this early is silly.

Your opinion is your opinion, and that's fine, but bandying it about like it's fact is silly and we all know it.

Also, I hated XII and consider XIII and XIII-2 to be far better RPGs, so there. :p To date, it's still the only modern FF I have been unable/unwilling to finish. Though I am open to a localized, HD International Zodiac Version finally, possibly changing my mind (I hear the IZV is by far the best way to play XII).

Top Bottom