• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

fwpx

7gb total for both games on vita? ergggg...

But I already accidentally purchased Tearaway in physical form, I don't want to have to juggle carts like I do on my 3ds :(

Decided to take the plunge with this over Stick of Truth, the re-done textures and all other enhancements really pushed me over the edge as I never played this on my PS2 and always regretted it.

How friendly is the sphere grid?

I've had my limited edition pre-ordered for months now, but I'm still debating whether or not to get the Vita version as well. I've never tried cross-saves in a game before and would like to and I already have Final Fantasy I-IX on my Vita so I feel X|X-2 would be a pleasant fit, but that's another $45 and then there's taxes on top of that..... dammit.

The default sphere grid is pretty linear for a good part of the game. By the time you get the items that let you cross characters over onto each other's paths, you'll have a good enough understanding of the system to not screw up.

I've never used the expert sphere grid, but it apparently lets you send whatever character you want down whatever path you want, which is probably not a good choice for your first time through.

genbatzu

the standard-sphere-grid is very easy.

the expert grid is a bit more complicated (it needs to plan out in advance).

it gets complicated if you want to do all the bonus stuff, then you have to remove low abilites on the grid and replace them with higher once. to max out a character it gets rather grindy (back at ps2 I walked 2x over the whole expert sphero grid with Wakka, to get 255 in all stats and luck at 160)

Decided to take the plunge with this over Stick of Truth, the re-done textures and all other enhancements really pushed me over the edge as I never played this on my PS2 and always regretted it.

I found it pretty intuitive when I played it as a teenager. If you go with the regular starting grid you will have each character starting out in their specialized area (for instance Yuna around the healing grid/Auron around the heavy damage section). There is also an option in this version for more control through letting them all start in the same point.

-NeoTB1-

I'll admit I'm not a big proponent for FFX. In fact, in the past I have actively voiced my dislike for it on message boards like this one. However, at the time it released I was in a pretty big gaming funk. Looking back, this may have colored my opinion of the game. After doing some research on the upgrades present in this HD remaster I have decided to give it another try. Let's see if it can charm me this time around.

My PS3 kicked the bucket, so Vita version it is.

For Blitzball, score a point, then hide being your goal the rest of the game with the ball. The opponent AI doesn't know what to do if you go behind your own goal.

Holy shit, this actually works? I might actually be able to get all the Celestial Weapons after all! xD

Also, has it been confirmed that all first batches/shipments are the LE? (Like how KH 1.5 and Tales of Xillia came out, you could find the LEs everywhere). Because somehow my preorder was never finalized with Gamestop so I plan on going to either there or Walmart at midnight when the game comes out and I'm really hoping it'll be the LE.

B.K.

Holy shit, this actually works? I might actually be able to get all the Celestial Weapons after all! xD

Apparently. I hadn't heard that trick until recently. Apparently the AI doesn't know what to do if you hide behind your own goal with the ball. I wish I'd know that years ago. It would have made things a lot easier.

I loved the original on PS2 and haven't played it in years. Might as well pick this up for Vita (I sold my PS3 when I bought a PS4), especially since it will only cost $32 with my 20% off with the Best Buy gamer club.

Ridley327

So, wait. Is the limited edition a normal game case or not? I don't want a stupid artbook case. I only ordered the limited edition because the normal edition's cover is godawful.

We got them in at work today, and it's definitely an artbook case. It's too thin to be anything else.

RedSwirl

Okay if I buy this I'm probably gonna just grind the fuck out of everything. I wanna do sidequests (I didn't do any of them in FFX my first time) but I'm terrible at FFX bosses.

Here's a sample: SD battle theme vs. HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhi7O565Ouo

*sigh*

I don't know about that man. I liked FFX's soundtrack for having a classic sort of video game feel to it yet also being more grandiose than the SNES music. It sounded like game music but high-end game music for some reason.

Sorry if this hasn't already been answered but has there been an technical analysis of the Vita version?

I know its not native res but is it known what exact resolution its running at?

absolutelybased-8778.jpg

SirNinja

CGI trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3Z_xQxeZY#t=24

I dont think they did any change to the CGI did they?

They rerendered all of them in HD, though they had to be cropped to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio.

As an example, here's a frame from a CG scene on PS2 and then PS3:

Obviously both of these look much better in motion (and without Youtube's crappy compression), but the difference is still pretty huge. The crowd really stands out.

Here's another good example of the increased definition. The stars in the sky behind the blitzball player are almost hidden in the original PS2 video, but on PS3 it almost looks like a whole new texture:

As can also be seen from the other two screenshots, the colors and contrast have also been improved quite a bit; the CG scenes aren't as washed-out as they were. It's easier to spot the difference in a scene with warm colors, such as Yuna's introduction:

The new cutscenes are a big part of why the size of the PS3 version is 24-25 GB. They look great on Vita as well!

Flandy

They rerendered all of them in HD, though they had to be cropped to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio.

As an example, here's a frame from a CG scene on PS2 and then PS3:

Obviously both of these look much better in motion (and without Youtube's crappy compression), but the difference is still pretty huge. The crowd really stands out.

Here's another good example of the increased definition. The stars in the sky behind the blitzball player are almost hidden in the original PS2 video, but on PS3 it almost looks like a whole new texture:

As can also be seen from the other two screenshots, the colors and contrast have also been improved quite a bit; the CG scenes aren't as washed-out as they were. It's easier to spot the difference in a scene with warm colors, such as Yuna's introduction:

The new cutscenes are a big part of why the size of the PS3 version is 24-25 GB. They look great on Vita as well!

I doubt they rendered them in HD. You sure they just didn't find a higher quality source?

sqwarlock

The only song that I'm truly disappointed in when it comes to the HD remixes is Challenge. I can live with it, but it still hurts.

The only song that I'm truly disappointed in when it comes to the HD remixes is Challenge. I can live with it, but it still hurts.

Challenge did indeed take a big hit. I actually like a lot of what they did with it, but it's missing the best part after the drop that it can't recover from it. I'm also not keen on what they did to The Decisive Battle as I feel it lacks the depth and impact of the original, again, also after the drop towards the end.

Alright! Just got my shipping confirmation email for the CE. I was starting to get a little worried at all these people saying they had received an email and I hadn't yet. Now the tracking sites just need to update so I can see when it's supposed to get here...

Top Bottom