• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII....Surprised how well parts of it have aged!

near

Gold Member
Could've been a masterpiece if Matsuno finished it. Yet, despite Matsuno leaving the project halfway through, it's still my favourite FF game to date.

Go_Ly_Dow

This games ages like wine for me. And since the Zodiac release its my number one FF ever.

I like the world, characters, narrative and VA and the OST is severely underrated. The gameplay I find excellent. Micromanaging your party, seeing your settings play out as you envisioned. And some manual management inbetween. But you can play it full manual too.

I like how you can opt to AI battle low level trash mob instead of having to constantly mash them manually.

Its however a misconception that this game reviewed medicore. It didn't. I believe Famitsu gave it a 10, and Edge a 9 or 10 as well. But many praised it. It sits on a high average. And this was about the inferior vanilla PS2 edition. Square should've built on this one and not regress so much with the retarded FFXIII.
I think most of the PS1 and PS2 era FF games have aged well, but 12 particularly so. So ahead of its time.

Castorp

Every single time I play FFXII, it climbs the ranks of my Final Fantasy list.

One or two more playthroughs and it should be up there with VII and X, it's fucking crazy.

#teamdustiafarm
#fuckseitengrat
Haha exactly the same for me. When he was on ps2 i hated it because it was so different of ffx that i loved. But through the years and several playthrough it became my favorite ff with ff5. Wonderful world, music, and very enjoyable gameplay.

Go_Ly_Dow

Haha exactly the same for me. When he was on ps2 i hated it because it was so different of ffx that i loved. But through the years and several playthrough it became my favorite ff with ff5. Wonderful world, music, and very enjoyable gameplay.
Same.

Played it on PS2 and found it underwhelming.

Then played it again around late PS3 era and thought this is pretty good.

Then played the Remaster last year and this time was absorbed by the world, music, art direction and motivations of the characters.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
You know, I actually prefer the PS2 version of the OST to the Zodiac Age version. I dunno, I think the arrangements just work better. But that's probably because I've listened to the original more than any other OST.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Too bad Nomura turned FF into Kingdom Hearts, Yoshi P turned FF into Game of Thrones May Cry and that other weaboo turned FF into a dumb game about his dumb waifu (Lightning)

FF12 was at least very fun to play. Exploration was fantastic, combat was interesting (but flawed) and there was so much stuff to do.

The story, villain and protagonists were lame though.

Neofire

Last week I was looking for something to watch and long story short ended up watching a 6 hour movie version of FF12 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Never played it when it came out, was one I just skipped over. Boy do I regret that now.

Found the characters, story, music and dialogue to be great. The character models look so good and still look great 17 years later.

Obviously cant comment on the battle system so not sure how well that aged but glad to see staff who worked on this are on FF16.

JuLriuk.jpg

4t80wPc.jpg
One of my absolute favorite final fantasy games!

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Too bad Nomura turned FF into Kingdom Hearts, Yoshi P turned FF into Game of Thrones May Cry and that other weaboo turned FF into a dumb game about his dumb waifu (Lightning)

FF12 was at least very fun to play. Exploration was fantastic, combat was interesting (but flawed) and there was so much stuff to do.

I'm not too upset at Yoshi P. FFXIV is still the best thing to happen to the series in 20 years, since FFXII. I'm willing to give him another shot, but please make it an RPG. They're trying too hard to appeal to Americans with 16.

Last edited:

Hudo

The funny thing is that other JRPG developers are (mostly) keeping their games as "japanese" as they can, and doing pretty well (e.g. Pokemon, Persona)
I fear for Dragon Quest 12 though.

Oh well, he wrote this game didn't he?

bl-time-for-ntr-1.jpg
Is that Bahamut Lagoon? If so, then yes.

SHA

Can't relate this thread with the one that hated the most, they must be a complete different guys with completely different tastes.

Sorcerer

Do people really think Vann is the main character? He and Penelo open the story but this game I can say really has no main character, that was at least a first for me in an rpg. It really is the story of the entire cast together. I can't point out one character story that takes precedence over any other characters. Not even the Princess. I think it works very well.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The last mainline FF I really enjoyed. I loved the world, the save crystals, the enemies, and the combat. Makes me wish they’d make an offline version or remake of FFXI.

Go_Ly_Dow

Do people really think Vann is the main character? He and Penelo open the story but this game I can say really has no main character, that was at least a first for me in an rpg. It really is the story of the entire cast together. I can't point out one character story that takes precedence over any other characters. Not even the Princess. I think it works very well.
You're probably right that there is no main thinking back to the story.

SkylineRKR

This sums it up pretty well.

I had faith in Yoshi P, but I ended up hating XVI. I think the tone, world, characters and VA are in place. But the game obviously suffers from MMO design in a single player game. Which makes sense considering the pedigree of the developer.

Critics could say the same about FFXII, but that game was more challenging, had better world building, more secrets, equipment, party management and builds, more towns and generally more interesting dungeons with deeper parts within them to tackle later on.

There's a lot to love about FFXII....the audio/visual presentation is excellent, most of the characters are charming and fun, and the Gambit system allowing you to program the exact behavior of your party members under various conditions is a super neat feature that I've sadly never seen reused in any game ever since.

It is also almost singlehandedly ruined by its pacing. There are long stretches where the story goes nowhere, dungeons are just way too long in general, and the game has the audacity to send you on an hours-long quest to fetch a plot sword and then do it again for a different plot sword later (not to mention that both of these swords are basically useless in combat).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
One thing that annoys me with the Zodiac version is that it took off the original intro montage.

I really liked that. I will have to find an HD version of it to play on my PC.

Here it is:

THIS!

Top Bottom