• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Niks

About 4 hours in, and its sooo good to play this game again.

Sure, there's the odd texture here and there, but everything else has been really well upgraded.

AXE

6 or so hours into the game, first real boss down
Fire horse from literally nowhere! Sure game whatever you say
and it is pretty much what I remember when I first played it:

Solidly okay. The class system is basically meaningless early in the game it seems, nobody has the right gear or skills unless you buy it ahead of time at the shops (before you even get most of your party members..). Combat is fine~ish? Very little to do but auto-attack. Story seems interesting? Voice acting is... surprisingly mediocre for a game near the end of the PS2 era.

Despite all this, with the job boards + gambits this game has a lot of room to grow. It very much has mini-FFXIII syndrome: How long exactly do you need to play before it really gets good? Is it really worth it? I don't know. I didn't give 12 a fair shake on release but I intend on rectifying that now.

Post for the Ages stuff right here by Mr Grumpy

6 or so hours into the game, first real boss down
Fire horse from literally nowhere! Sure game whatever you say
and it is pretty much what I remember when I first played it:

Solidly okay. The class system is basically meaningless early in the game it seems, nobody has the right gear or skills unless you buy it ahead of time at the shops (before you even get most of your party members..). Combat is fine~ish? Very little to do but auto-attack. Story seems interesting? Voice acting is... surprisingly mediocre for a game near the end of the PS2 era.

Despite all this, with the job boards + gambits this game has a lot of room to grow. It very much has mini-FFXIII syndrome: How long exactly do you need to play before it really gets good? Is it really worth it? I don't know. I didn't give 12 a fair shake on release but I intend on rectifying that now.

First time playing? I haven't played since PS2 era, but wait till you get to Some of the later boss in the first third of the game. The fire esper and the bosses of the king's tomb will test your sanity and intelligence.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Great job on the OT dig the banners. And looking forward to checking it out when my copy arrives. Also hilarious OT subtitle lol

iosefe

oh man, easy money using Trial Mode

read at your own peril
first trial has a chest with guaranteed Diamond Armlet, sells for 6k

Someone recommend me an OP lineup.

I have Vaan as monk but can't decide roles for anyone else. Not that I'm ever there yet but I want to know what to do lol.

How would I identify them? Obvious/fool-proofed in-game instructions or should I follow guide?

There's really no way to tell without a guide.

IIRC the usual recommendation I read was to just keep at least 10 of every loot, but IDK if that is accurate.

edit: Nevermind. This seems like a good summary:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75543663/882542761

It depends on whether you want to keep finite items in your inventory or not.

Finite loot items:
Small Package x1 (Rabanastre)
Jaya Stick x1 (Jahara)
Bhujerban Madhu x14 (Bhujerba)
Dewdrop Pebble x8 (Euryut Village)
Pinewood Chop x28 / Sandalwood Chop x1 (Archades)
Nebralim x2 / Valeblossom Dew x3 / Semclam Shell x3 (Desert Patient Sidequest)

Finite regular items:
Eksir Berries x2 (Nam-Yensa Sandsea / Phon Coast)

But as for all the stones, crystals, magicite and things like feathers and hide - sell all of it.

I have no idea why they didn't just turn stuff like Chops into key items.

Thanks! Guess I won't have a thief in my party. Dang.

There is no dedicated thief class,hunter gets most of the relevant skills i think.
oh man, easy money using Trial Mode

read at your own peril
first trial has a chest with guaranteed Diamond Armlet, sells for 6k

Goddammit, game=broken
Did they remove the secret merchant that sells ether btw?

The opening of the game aside from the CGI reminds me again how terrible and incoherent it feels.

Honestly?
The opening 30 minutes of this game set up a better story than 13 and 15 do in their entire runtime.
Only 9 has a better opening hour imo

Someone recommend me an OP lineup.

I have Vaan as monk but can't decide roles for anyone else. Not that I'm ever there yet but I want to know what to do lol.

Vaan wouldve been better off as a pure physical attacker but i guess you can now pair him with black mage for op magic,healing and holy.

Go for a samurai knight as phys leader
And a samurai hunter if you want to beat the final superboss easily
Red mage hunter is a self sufficient tank with great offence
White mage should go with machinist
And time mage can go with uhlan or knight

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Vaan was born to be a Shikari. Why even waste any more offensive roles on him?

There's really no way to tell without a guide.

IIRC the usual recommendation I read was to just keep at least 10 of every loot, but IDK if that is accurate.

edit: Nevermind. This seems like a good summary:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75543663/882542761

I have no idea why they didn't just turn stuff like Chops into key items.
This is great. Thank you!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Honestly?
The opening 30 minutes of this game set up a better story than 13 and 15 do in their entire runtime.

Well to be honest, I thought the first part was a giant slog. I enjoyed the" incomplete" parts when I departed Rabanastre for some reason.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Should I follow a guide for unlocking licenses or can I just kind of wing it without many issues cropping up later?

Fran's Japanese voice is so much better, damn. Also, Balthier is Sanji from One Piece!

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh, this was today?

Wow, this was a big deal to me and yet it somehow snuck up.

Oh well, I don't have $50 at the moment, anyway.

Damn... this boss is quite the check.

demon wall

Love how beating the bosses feels in this game though.

The first or the second?
You're generally supposed to run from the first encounter unless you're generously overlevelled for that portion of the game.

The first or the second?
You're generally supposed to run from the first encounter unless you're generously overlevelled for that portion of the game.

Second one actually.
I went and did some hunts and came back and brute forced it with a bunch of restoratives.

My first time playing this. Played about a couple of hours.

Art direction reminds me of Vagrant story and even a bit of The Last Story. They have the same members of the team here or there?

You can cast offensive spells on allies and defensive spells on enemies in gambits. Just a friendly reminder.

Now that i think about
If i have a party of dark absorb wearers and use soul eater on each other and have just one equipped with yagyu darkblade instead+black robes instead, would that eliminate my need for a dedicated healer? Assuming something other than whm has esuna.

Balthier, Fran and Vaan all have Steal as innate ability. So you don't need to have a specific thief job to do the stealing.

I imagine thief's glove to be restricted to certain jobs though, same for mug and poach which i imagine might have some interdependence.

Isotropy

I'm not sure why people are upset about the model viewer in the bestiary - the original did *not* have illustrations, it had blurry screenshot cutouts that people seem to be mistaking for illustrations in their memories.

6959283.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
Man, playing through this game again makes you realize what a fucking marvel it was for SE to pull off a game of this magnitude on the PS2. The detail and content in this game is staggering.

I'm in goddamn awe here.

Honestly?
I disagree. XIII had a far better opening than XII where the only epic moments are in the CGI while the rest are narrated through text. Wasted potential as you go back to slaying rats in a sewer out of nowhere and then act as an errands boy.

FFIX has you invade and rescue a princess. It is one of the best opening in a FF and introduces us to the main character very well. Nowhere comparable to the errands boy Vaan.

Delio

Whew good time to stop. Just got access to the second Jobs. Time to stop with the story and do some hunts!...Tomorrow.

Rad-

Shikari/Red Mage – Tank+Black Magic+support spells. Jack of all trades and mostly great at them all (makes for an amazing ‘leader character'). Penelo and Ashe are also great with this one.

I think Bushi/Red Mage is even better at the same stuff. Doesn't get quite as high evade but instead you can get Bloodsword A in the Trial battle 3 so sword + shield combo. Bushi unlocks Bloodsword licenses through Esper. Now equip Genji Armor + Genji Helmet + Jackboots and you get 100% counter chance. Bloodsword A confuses every enemy that isn't immune to it with its 100% confuse chance. So basically every enemy that attacks you in melee, gets confused if not immune.

Ashe is the best with this job combo as she gets all those goodies and still 99STR and 99MAG end game.

And the reason for Bushi over Knight with this combo is that Bushi/Red Mage gets 3 swiftness licenses and Knight/Red Mage gets only 1. So Bushi is 24% faster.

6 or so hours into the game, first real boss down Fire horse from literally nowhere! Sure game whatever you say and it is pretty much what I remember when I first played it:

The beginning isn't great. The gameplay opens up when you get out of a certain prison which is like 1 hour away from where you are now.

I can't really agree with you on the VA complaints. VA in this game is amazing.

I disagree. XIII had a far better opening than XII where the only epic moments are in the CGI while the rest are narrated through text. Wasted potential as you go back to slaying rats in a sewer out of nowhere and then act as an errands boy.

FFIX has you invade and rescue a princess. It is one of the best opening in a FF and introduces us to the main character very well. Nowhere comparable to the errands boy Vaan.

You run like 1 errand before the infiltration and subsequent introduction of 5/6 party members.
And it makes sense because an errand boy is exactly who he is before the incident.
Slaying rats to meet ends after your state just lost the war made far more sense than anything in the first two hours of 13.
Yeah it plays epic, but we know dick all about whats going on or who any of the characters are or why theyre with each other or what theyre trying to do. The game doesn't start making sense until ch3 when the characters finally take a break and you try and understand what just happened.
15's is simple enough but its just dull dull dull.
And i say that as someone who unlike 99% of gaf actually likes both these games

The sewer rat opening was clearly a tribute to MMO games. How you start the beginning of most MMOs during that time going into sewers to kill rats.

Was a popular meme too.

I'm not sure why people are upset about the model viewer in the bestiary - the original did *not* have illustrations, it had blurry screenshot cutouts that people seem to be mistaking for illustrations in their memories.

6959283.jpg
I feel like they were stylized in such a way that made me feel like I was flipping through an encyclopedia.
Either way it's a minor nitpick.

Also you posted a bad example.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Starting my first ever FFXII run. Really excited!

I've put together this plan for a job/party set-up:

Vaan - Shikari / Red Battlemage
Balthier - Machinist / Uhlan
Basch - Bushi / Knight
Fran - Monk / Foebreaker
Ashe - Black Mage / Archer
Penelo - White Mage / Time Battlemage

Anything ridiculous that I should reconsider before moving on from the planning stage to actually playing the game? :p

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
After like 2hrs of deliberations and referring to the wiki for what each job/weapon class actually does, here's my lineup. I don't care about being bleeding edge optimized, I'm keeping it!

Vaan - Shikari/Bushi
No brainer for his character -- rogueish and speed focused.

Penelo - Red Mage/Foebreaker
I loved the absurdity of having Penelo wield large hammers in my original playthrough all those years ago. This is an homage to a simpler time.

Fran - Machinist/White Mage
Her stats are the lowest so gun felt right. Wanted to stick on Time Mage, the other non-scaling job, but Machinist already gets some Time Magick. My headcanon is that she swaps weapons with Balthier for funsies so he gets bows and she gets guns.

Balthier - Archer/Uhlan
Kind of filler. Choices made were tied to Fran.

Basch - Knight/Time Mage
My main tank. Time Mage lets him use his MP without worrying about scaling on his Magick stat.

Ashe - Black Mage/Monk
High spell damage + monk still gets Holy.

JayBabay

If anyone is interested, the Collector's Harcover Guide is on sale at amazon for $21.67 when you apple the coupon code PRIMEBOOKS17.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I do love FF9, but cannot really follow your complaints regarding this opening. I mean Vaan is essentially a surrogate for the undercast living in squalor following the direct events of the war you just witnessed. He is the perspective of life in the aftermath and its made very clear how his days are structured as he toils in lowly errands. NPC's are littered everywhere giving even more context as such. I'm not a fan of Vaan as a character, but I don't see fault in his personal introduction nor in explaining hunts as they do in that sequence. Can't really bitch about him being an errand boy and then give praise to FF9 for largely doing the same.

I mean if you just really hate Vaan then say it, but not enuff epic moments? Cmon now...(not gonna bother touching your XIII comparison since you didn't really make a case)

Isotropy

Random observation: I love the final shot of the opening CG of the crows upon the corpse-ridden battlefield in the rain.

Reminded me of the "Feast for Crows" title in the Song of Fire and Ice series - I think Matsuno could do a whole game about the forgotten peasant folk, ridden roughshod over by the nobility and left to wither in the dirt in war's wake, but that's probably too dark for a main FF.

Ie, Tactics 2, please...

Top Bottom