• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Netto-kun

Finished Pharos and clocked 35 hours. I don't know why I bothered to pick Altar of Wealth in the Second Ascent when I could've just picked Knowledge instead and breezed through the floors. And I need to revisit the place again later since I missed out on at least two chests that are behind red bridges.

How do I start off using Bushi? Went Bushi with Basch and the first katana is way worse than the default 1H Iron Sword he can use. Katanas scale off Magic and Strength if I'm reading correctly, so do I need to really start unlocking Magic Lore licenses or?
Yeah you've answered your own question. Katanas also have a high combo rate to make up for some of the loss damage.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't think they started lipsyncing with the English voice track until FFXIII, FFX/FFX-2/FFXII don't have it.

I remember the early trailers for XIII didn't have lip sync. I didn't expect it, and I was amazed that it was there in the final game.

A few years earlier, it wasn't even an expectation. Voice acted games from Japan were just dubbed anime. How could the mouth movements fit? It's an import from another language lol? ;P

They could have added it for this remaster. But they couldn't fix the FMVs no doubt.

mieumieu

I'm finding the opposite; they've stopped speaking, but their mouths are a still flapping like a Muppet.

There are two kinds of mouth movements in this game depending on the importance of the cutscene and/or dialogue.

The more important kind will get (Japanese) lip-sync, while the less important kind will only get a procedurally generated mouth flap, which doesn't really correspond to what the character is saying. This game is made before automatic lipsync tech (ala Skyrim) is a thing.

george_us

I just finished the Tomb of Raithwall (hello my second jobs!)

I was watching the series of cutscenes after Raithwall, and I'm still in awe of the tone and dialogue. I always had high respect for XII's storytelling, but after a decade it's actually better than I remembered it.

I grew up with FF in my childhood and teens, and to have a game like XII at the dawn of my 20s was an assurance that this series would grow with me and be a series worth carrying forward into adulthood.

But then XIII and XV devolved into broken shounen anime gobbledegook.... I had actually been questioning whether my reverence for the series' storytelling was a foolish young person's opinion and this was a series for mindless tweens all along.

No, this game exists, and I'm looking at it with 30-something eyes. Seeing is believing: someone actually took FF storytelling seriously once. It could have been a series for adults, or at least smart teens. They just abandoned that effort with later entries.

Aside from the mature tone, it feels like the DNA of classic FF. A ragtag team of heroes, expressing their inner sentiments in wonderfully staged cutscenes. I know it could use more party comraderie, etc, and I don't claim XII has the perfect storytelling. I know it falls apart in the last half. But it was the right trajectory for FF, storywise, and they completely abandoned it to make C-tier children's anime. XII makes me hate the braindead XIII and XV all the more.
My thoughts exactly. I just got to the Salikawood and storytelling has been excellent.

Cess007

There's no way to reset a Job for a character? I messed up and choose Penelo as a White Mage instead of Black. I'm screwed?

JayB1920

There's no way to reset a Job for a character? I messed up and choose Penelo as a White Mage instead of Black. I'm screwed?

No you'll be fine. Any character can do any job just fine. Only if you are worried about min/maxing does it matter but the stat differences aren't that large overall and equipment can make up the differences.

kromeo

Whoa. Just realized the similarities between Star Wars. The Empire, Resistance, Princess, and Sky Pirates Duo.

The sandsea and the tribe there are straight jawa. I said earlier about some of the music clearing being inspired by star wars as well, most noticeably in Leviathan

Diablos54

Currently in the Garamsythe Waterway with Balthier and Fran. So far in terms of jobs I think I'm going to go with:

Vaan - Shikari/Bushi
Penelo - Monk/Black Mage
Balthier - Machinist/White Mage
Fran - Red Mage/Archer
Basch - Foebreaker/Uhlan
Ashe - Knight/Time Magic

That sorta fits story wise so hopefully they gel well together. Not sure what to do about the Espers/Quickenings yet, any ideas?

iosefe

Currently in the Garamsythe Waterway with Balthier and Fran. So far in terms of jobs I think I'm going to go with:

Vaan - Shikari/Bushi
Penelo - Monk/Black Mage
Balthier - Machinist/White Mage
Fran - Red Mage/Archer
Basch - Foebreaker/Uhlan
Ashe - Knight/Time Magic

That sorta fits story wise so hopefully they gel well together. Not sure what to do about the Espers/Quickenings yet, any ideas?

only quicknings you need to truly worry about is Shakiri, with all 4 quickenings blocking the Job weapons. suggestion is the 50, and the 125, and your choice between the 75 and the 100.

BocoDragon

Basch and Vaan convincing Balthier and Fran to use their ship is very Star Wars cantina scene too

Bathier later goes on about "compensation"... Actually it's so dedicated to him being Han Solo that this aspect feels a little incongruous with the rest of Balthier's character. He's much more dignified in character than the "gimme gimme" Han Solo.

RPGCrazied

With all the tweaking and adding/removing stuff they really seriously could not let non active party members get exp? Like my Fran is level 9, but my main party is almost in the 30's.

traveler

Not Wario
Is there any reason to hold on to Meteorites I pick up? Merchant says this sells for 10000 gil and I could use it if the item isn't a critical piece of something later.

I think I need to unequip the Diamond Armlet; all I've been getting for the most part the knots of rust and I'm wondering if the armlet is bugged and I'm missing out on actual rewards.

kromeo

Is there any reason to hold on to Meteorites I pick up? Merchant says this sells for 10000 gil and I could use it if the item isn't a critical piece of something later.

I think I need to unequip the Diamond Armlet; all I've been getting for the most part the knots of rust and I'm wondering if the armlet is bugged and I'm missing out on actual rewards.

You really need to use a guide to make use of the diamond armlet, I wouldn't use it otherwise

You can use them in battle to do different effects or just sell them.

And yes, the Diamond Armlet makes it so most treasure chests give Knots of Rust or meteorites instead of what's usually in them.

Diablos54

only quicknings you need to truly worry about is Shakiri, with all 4 quickenings blocking the Job weapons. suggestion is the 50, and the 125, and your choice between the 75 and the 100.
Ahh okay thanks! I assume I can only activate 3 between the 2 boards?

Jocund

Balthier - Han; Fran - Chewie; Ashe - Leia + Luke; Basch - Obi-Wan; Vaan - Luke (but the lame parts, think "Power converteeers"); Green lizardguy pursuing Balthier - Boba Fett; Penelo - R2

kromeo

Every so often I keep thinking everything looks too yellow, like they've used a yellow filter. Might just be imagining things...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah. I'd use everyone more if they all got EXP not just the active party though.
I will power level them later on strong enemies. I don't know why they made this backwards ass decision to go into the menu for switch. It was so good in FFX.

Every so often I keep thinking everything looks too yellow, like they've used a yellow filter. Might just be imagining things...

Yes, I was thinking the same. The weapons aren't even noticeable unless you really 'look' due to the yellowish filter.

RPGCrazied

I will power level them later on strong enemies. I don't know why they made this backwards ass decision to go into the menu for switch. It was so good in FFX.

That takes to long.

I do use their quickenings though, lol

If my main party dies, I bring out the others just to use those.

I've cheesed many a boss with this strategy.

Cess007

Is anyone else disappointed with the lipsyncing? They kept the japanese one, so some scenes feel really off when playing in english.

Wasn't like that in the PS2, right? I can't remember clearly, but I don't remember it being that bad. I'm almost tempted to change to the JP audio, but I would miss Balthier and Fran English voice.

TheFatMan

Is anyone else disappointed with the lipsyncing? They kept the japanese one, so some scenes feel really off when playing in english.

As has been mentioned in this thread, they didn't start syncing voice overs to the lips until FF13.

It sucks, but it's not something they'd probably spend the time to fix.

BocoDragon

Wasn't like that in the PS2, right? I can't remember clearly, but I don't remember it being that bad. I'm almost tempted to change to the JP audio, but I would miss Balthier and Fran English voice.
It's the same as PS2. If anything's changed, it's just people's expectations.

Is vann a discount tidus?
Vaan is discount hero.

Nah. What bothers me is the voice compression. It kills my immersion at times. Seriously...how did FFX nail voice quality and this one years later mess it up? Really makes me grumpy. Good think I love everything else about this game.

Valus

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times but is there an esper guide anywhere? I don't know who to assign to who. I'm using the standard jobs for each character optimized for performance.

Also is mystic or heavy armor better for Katana?

RPGCrazied

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times but is there an esper guide anywhere? I don't know who to assign to who. I'm using the standard jobs for each character optimized for performance.

Also is mystic or heavy armor better for Katana?

The PS2 version on gamefaqs has a ton of guides. Not much different from this version. You can still use some of those, specially the esper guide.

Isaccard

hey gaf these job are combo's I did not come up with on my own and probably looks similar to every other poster on the last 23 pages.

Vaan - knife fighter/rival smasher
penelo - body builder/spell slinger
ashe - healbot/dr who #(your favorite numbered doctor here, 10 and 11 are my faves)
balthier - sky pirate with a gun duh/loldrg
fraan - robin hood/why do they call it red magick when white+black = grey
bash von ronsenburg of dalmasaca - muh sword arm/muh other sword arm but sharper

wut do you think guise

also is anyone else getting dejavu

Ah man, just finished Raithwall and I think Ashe is becoming a favourite. What a great heroine.
It's a great feeling when your game has well directed cutscenes and FMVs to reward the player, something that was sadly absent from FFXV.

So far, I have not been annoyed at all by Penelo or Vaan, so I'm not sure why I've heard that they were grating.

Top Bottom