• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

kromeo

I'm up to sandsea and the enemies are dying so quickly and hardly doing any damage, I'm sure I was never this op at this point in the game on the ps2

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm up to sandsea and the enemies are dying so quickly and hardly doing any damage, I'm sure I was never this op at this point in the game on the ps2

I bet an elemental entite can still ruin your day.

I was OP when I played on PS2. Gambits just make it so easy. But the fast-forward, combined with the incentive to spec your characters in particular directions, makes it even easier to overlevel in this version.

Aeana

The PS2 version on gamefaqs has a ton of guides. Not much different from this version. You can still use some of those, specially the esper guide.

The original PS2 version guides would be vastly different and basically useless for item locations and licenses, etc.

The guides for the International Zodiac Job System version, though, yes.

RPGCrazied

The original PS2 version guides would be vastly different and basically useless for item locations and licenses, etc.

The guides for the International Zodiac Job System version, though, yes.

Did they change the location of the optional espers?

Choosing a license board is oddly stressful. I made Vaan a shikari, which seems to make sense, but I'm not sure what to do with Penelo or the others (once I get them).

BocoDragon

Choosing a license board is oddly stressful. I made Vaan a shikari, which seems to make sense, but I'm not sure what to do with Penelo or the others (once I get them).
I thought people pre-planning their builds in this thread were being a bit obsessive..... until I got to the choose license section and stressed about it for a long time.

Aeana

My advice to avoid stressing out too much is to make choices as you like on 3 of the characters, and leave the others open until you've played for a while and decide the kind of playstyle you like. Then you can fill them in and make the party you really want.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would anyone with the North American version be able to change their system language to Japanese and see if the interface/text turns to Japanese? I want to replay this game, but the Japanese PSN store version is priced ridiculously high.

Rpgmonkey

Would anyone with the North American version be able to change their system language to Japanese and see if the interface/text turns to Japanese? I want to replay this game, but the Japanese PSN store version is priced ridiculously high.

When I got my copy I switched the language out of curiosity, and it does change to Japanese.

hawk2025

A little confused on what Quickenings even are.

For example, let's take the Machinist board. I've reached a slot called "Fires of War" that I can open for 50LP -- then the game tells me I can only use three of those.

Fair enough, so I look around the board, and there's four "Fires of War" total, all with different costs.

...what? What is this, exactly? Are they spells? Skills? Why are they all called the same thing?

There's this thing that I hated in FFXV where in order to receive Hunt rewards, you have to run all the way back to the person you received the quest from. It's much better here because their locations are pretty close from the target and the fast-forward is super handy!

Are Hunts the only kind of side-quests that you get in the game?

JayB1920

There's this thing that I hated in FFXV where in order to receive Hunt rewards, you have to run all the way back to the person you received the quest from. It's much better here because their locations are pretty close from the target and the fast-forward is super handy!

Are Hunts the only kind of side-quests that you get in the game?

Most of the hunts have some little story/context to go with them as well unlike XV which is nice. No there are some other side quests, optional areas and hidden, multiple optional Espers to obtain.

hey gaf these job are combo's I did not come up with on my own and probably looks similar to every other poster on the last 23 pages.

Vaan - knife fighter/rival smasher
penelo - body builder/spell slinger
ashe - healbot/dr who #(your favorite numbered doctor here, 10 and 11 are my faves)
balthier - sky pirate with a gun duh/loldrg
fraan - robin hood/why do they call it red magick when white+black = grey
bash von ronsenburg of dalmasaca - muh sword arm/muh other sword arm but sharper

wut do you think guise

also is anyone else getting dejavu
Don't see the point of snark.

People want to discuss their team build. Some are similar but it's fine, it's an OT anyway.

Also don't see the point of someone making a separate thread for builds since it's not like this thread and game is massively popular. I think it's ok if a lot about FFXII centers in this OT at the moment so everyone playing this game has a chance to partake.

Are we able to come back to the Nam Yensa/Ogir Yensa Sandsea area in the postgame? Don't feel like fully exploring it right now, but also don't wanna miss anything.

BocoDragon

Are we able to come back to the Nam Yensa/Ogir Yensa Sandsea area in the postgame? Don't feel like fully exploring it right now, but also don't wanna miss anything.
Yeah you can always go back to it.

I fully explored the whole thing last night though. Took me an hour or two, with fast forward.

Fisty

I thought people pre-planning their builds in this thread were being a bit obsessive..... until I got to the choose license section and stressed about it for a long time.

The struggle is real

L9kLRnM.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
A little confused on what Quickenings even are.

For example, let's take the Machinist board. I've reached a slot called "Fires of War" that I can open for 50LP -- then the game tells me I can only use three of those.

Fair enough, so I look around the board, and there's four "Fires of War" total, all with different costs.

...what? What is this, exactly? Are they spells? Skills? Why are they all called the same thing?

You can only unlock 3 quickenings for that character (Balthier). The first quickening you unlock for Balthier will always be Fire of War.

What this means is that when you unlock Fires of War, you then have access to all the nodes hidden behind that quickening (because most of the quickenings are positioned in chokepoints in the license grid meaning that they are blocking powerful nodes behind them). All the other quickening nodes will then change to Balthier's second quickening which is called "Tides of Fate".

You get your next one (which will always be called "Tides of Fate" for Balthier) and then you can get the licenses behind whichever node you chose.

You chose your last one (which will always be called "Element of Treachery" for Balthier) and then you can get the licenses behind that node.

All those other quickening nodes then become dead, and you will NOT be able to get the licenses hidden away behind them for Balthier.

I can't believe I managed to navigate the infamous crystal maze in less the 20 minutes with no map!

Pity I need to come back here a few more times after.

Holy shit Lmao.....this is why I would have like the open license board from vanilla FFXII.

I'd have preferred it too. Pity it wasn't optional.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Day 4 finished.

The one and true farm day, pretty much zero progress besides farming shit for 18 hours. Terrible.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm not sure whether I like the 2x and 4x speed because I find myself using them all the time. It's a godsend for leveling up though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What you farming for? Just curious
I'm so tired so don't remember all the stuff and/or spelling:

Masamune material took me 4 hours (and I know you can get one for free during that particular hunt)

That shit shield with 70 evasion from that room with the dragon (1% chest)

3x Circlets from Cerete Steppes, all which have a 20% for treasure to show up AND THEN 5% drop rate. This took me like 8 hours.

Then a bunch of random shit, also in the Steppes like that 2H sword, that godlike Red Mage 1H weapon (bone, something)...

Now that I think about it, todays session was like 25h 😑

Ourobolus

Banned
Day 4 finished.

The one and true farm day, pretty much zero progress besides farming shit for 18 hours. Terrible.
Cerobi Steppe?

I did that for quite a few hours yesterday.

EDIT: ah yeah.
I managed to get 2x Circlets, 1x Lorldy Robes, Fomalhaut, Byblos Bone, Shikari Nagasa, Magepower Shishak, Artemis Arrows, 1x Dueling Mask, and 1x Brave Suit. Took maybe five hours surprisingly.

3x Circlets from Cerete Steppes, all which have a 20% for treasure to show up AND THEN 5% drop rate. This took me like 8 hours.

Incorrect.

20% chance to spawn
20% chance for an item
5% chance for it to be the rare item
:p

Yoshichan

Cerobi Steppe?

I did that for quite a few hours yesterday.

EDIT: ah yeah.
I managed to get 2x Circlets, 1x Lorldy Robes, Fomalhaut, Byblos Bone, Shikari Nagasa, Magepower Shishak, Artemis Arrows, 1x Dueling Mask, and 1x Brave Suit. Took maybe five hours surprisingly.

Incorrect.

20% chance to spawn
20% chance for an item
5% chance for it to be the rare item
:p
FUCK NO WONDER IT TOOK SO LONG. Those new stats make sense...

Oh yeah you reminded me that I got 2x Lordly Robes and the "best" grenade weapon as well.

Yup, looking at the vod, I spent 14 hours just in the steppes. Dumb

Ourobolus

Banned
FUCK NO WONDER IT TOOK SO LONG. Those new stats make sense...

Oh yeah you reminded me that I got 2x Lordly Robes and the "best" grenade weapon as well.

Yup, looking at the vod, I spent 14 hours just in the steppes. Dumb
Yeah the Volcano was in my route but it never dropped for me. Don't use hand bombs much anyway

I'm so tired so don't remember all the stuff and/or spelling:

Masamune material took me 4 hours (and I know you can get one for free during that particular hunt)

That shit shield with 70 evasion from that room with the dragon (1% chest)

Then a bunch of random shit, also in the Steppes like that 2H sword, that godlike Red Mage 1H weapon (bone, something)...

Now that I think about it, todays session was like 25h 😑

Ouch, yeah that's one of the reasons I'm just playing it through until I unlock most or all of the areas. By then should be able to run the trials most of the way and shorten my shopping list a bit.

This version of the game is easier IMO because the License Boards are smaller and the Augments far denser.

Basically it means you can most of the Battle Lores and HPs far earlier.

I had something like 1500 HP even with Mystic Armor had Basch by Lv14 lol in Lhusu Mines, which is not really overleveled lol. Larsa had barely 350. Heck, at the Sandsea, Asellus only had 1300 HP; by then my Lv19 SHI had just under 2000 HP. My Ashe Uhlan got something like 800 LP when I got her, and she was able to spec all the way through Battle Lores 1-10 or something and still grab equipment licenses and HP augments.

I feel like even by Lv25 (after Raithwall) I'm pretty much already done most of many of my License boards. They're less than 30-40% complete, but I have almost all the HPs, Lores, most weapon or armors (or I'm right beside them and can unlock at any time), etc.

TBH... they could have increased the License Point costs of everything 2x and the game would probably be better balanced IMO. And maybe lowered XP (especially from non-story bosses) by 25-50%.
Holy shit Lmao.....this is why I would have like the open license board from vanilla FFXII.
Haha actually I began using my default starter weapons for a while (depending on enemy DEF cuz sometimes they'll hit for 0) just to get a better challenge and try fit the lore a bit more ;p

This version of the game is easier IMO because the License Boards are smaller and the Augments far denser.

I had something like 1500 HP even with Mystic Armor had Basch by Lv14 lol in Lhusu Mines, which is not really overleveled lol. Larsa had barely 350. Heck, at the Sandsea, Asellus only had 1300 HP; by then my Lv19 SHI had just under 2000 HP. My Ashe Uhlan got something like 800 LP when I got her, and she was able to spec all the way through Battle Lores 1-10 or something and still grab equipment licenses and HP augments.

I feel like even by Lv25 (after Raithwall) I'm pretty much already done most of many of my License boards. They're less than 30-40% complete, but I have almost all the HPs, Lores, most weapon or armors (or I'm right beside them and can unlock at any time), etc.

TBH... they could have increased the License Point costs of everything 2x and the game would probably be better balanced IMO. And maybe lowered XP (especially from non-story bosses) by 25-50%.

IIRC, they all but straight out said they intended the game to be easier.

You could always unlock New Game+ Weak Mode and try that. It's what I plan on doing after beating the main story.

You could always unlock New Game+ Weak Mode and try that. It's what I plan on doing after beating the main story.
Yeah I've been contemplating that. Sort of not sure if I should keep trying to do everything on this one or just finish it asap because weak mode sounds super fun.

Atlantis

for fran, should i make her an archer first then a red mage as a second job or will i miss out if i dont have magic spells?

This combo is all about augmenting the Red Mage class with bonuses from the Archer (Burning Bow, Swiftness, ect.). So I'd go with Red Mage first.

Top Bottom