• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Non-Linear Time Traveling, Sidequests, New Great Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 12 Fan Meeting
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site updated: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13-2/
fields and wallpapers, nothing new except:

key art #2
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13-2/vfd43bu0dp2n/images/l9p9701z.jpg

September 10 Fan Meeting

duckroll:
  • It refers to the "blood damage" system which they showcased. When you receive damage from enemies, sometimes the damage is blood damage, which reduces your maximum HP for that battle. I don't play Monster Hunter, but many of the blogs and impressions refer to it as a system which seems inspired by the Monster Hunter series.
  • Chocobo is just one of the monster types you can have in your party as the monster member. They showed off 2 new monster types at the event today: Chocobo (Attacker) and Cat Sith (Healer). All monster types which you can recruit (150+ in all) have their own special attacks. There's a bar which builds up during the battle,and when it's full they can pull off a special attack with on screen QTE prompts. Chocobo does the Chocobo Kick, and Cat Sith does the Neko Punch.

andriasang:

• Tokyo Game Show may also be the revealing grounds for the identity of the mysterious man who was shown in a confrontation in Valhalla with Lightning during the game's first trailer earlier this year. Square Enix's PR department said to expect this info from next week's big event as well.
  • Asked if they're looking into releasing download content, producer Yoshinori Kitase asked a PR person "Is it okay if I say?" but was denied permission, so he instead said that they're actively looking into it.
  • Asked if we'll get a limited edition, Kitase said they're "really actively looking into it."
  • If you have your XIII save data, you'll get some bonuses in XIII-2.
  • As previously announced, XIII-2 has a monster raising component. Your characters are built up using a new growth system like the Crystarium system from the original. Your monsters have their own growth system which is similar to this.
  • You'll find over 150 monster types in the game. They all have unique inputs for performing their special skills, so those who aren't too good with action games can select a monster with simple controls.
  • In XIII, you could only ride Chocobos in the Gran Pulse world. In XIII-2, you can ride them anywhere. However, you won't have access to Chocobos at the start of the game. You'll gain access at a point where it starts to be difficult to move around with ease.
  • The game will have a red Chocobo. Toriyama says that this will be a unique Chocobo amongst the series' Chocobos.
  • That Moogle Serah uses as a weapon and as a means of grabbing items items is from Lightning's world. He's come to help Serah.
  • The "Fragments" shown in last week's screenshots of the game's time travel interface are part of a quest system. You get them from NPCs and can attempt to clear the related quest. You'll start to encounter these fragments right from the game's first chapter.
  • Asked about the game's length, Toriyama explained that just looking at the story volume, it's a bit shorter than XIII. However, there are all sorts of additional play elements this time, including the time travel, the fragments, and lots of mini games.
  • It was already announced that most of the characters from XIII will appear in XIII-2. We'll get an introduction to some of those characters at TGS. Some of the characters will be playable (not necessarily at TGS, but playable in the game).
  • Serah and Snow are not yet married, and Snow apparently has a good reason for this. In the final version of the game, we'll get the full word on the current status of their relationship.
  • Development on XIII-2 is currently at 90%. The game has been in development for a little over one and a half years, according to Kitase.

Pics from the event:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/11050005.html
http://www.i-mezzo.net/log/2011/09/11000535.html

September 8 Historia Crux System
If you've completed FINAL FANTASY XIII you will know that Lightning manages to save her sister, Serah, from her crystallised form and save the world with the help of her friends. Since then Lightning has left the world of Cocoon and Pulse behind her and become the protector to the Goddess Etro in Valhalla, the land of Chaos.

Through her journey Lightning has become incredibly strong and is currently fighting her own battles in Valhalla, against the mysterious purple-clad character whom you should remember from the initial announcement trailer. Lightning is unable to leave Valhalla and leave Etro at the mercy of the enemy and so she asks Noel for his help.

This is where the game kicks off - with a meteor landing near the home of Serah and the rest of Team NORA, which heralds the arrival of Noel and the opening of paths across time. "Come with me across the boundaries of time", Noel says. "Your sister is waiting".

Interview with Motomu Toriyama

Could you give us an overview of what the Historia Crux is and how it works?

The Historia Crux is a new gameplay system that functions like a compass for time travel. As the portal which allows the player to select areas and time periods to go to, it functions a bit like a home menu and is at the heart of the story and gameplay progression of FINAL FANTASY XIII-2. The player can enjoy travelling through time by freely choosing between all the time-space locations where gates have been opened up. Although these locations proceed onwards into the future, you also have the option of rewinding time so it will be possible to experience many different historical possibilities.

What specific fan feedback are you trying to respond to with the Historia Crux?

The original game, FINAL FANTASY XIII, was primarily story driven and progressed in a very linear manner. For the sequel, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, we are going for a much more player driven concept, so this time around the gameplay and story itself will alter to fit the player’s choices. You will be able to freely come and go between all the areas; the game will provide not just simple environmental exploration, but also a multi-layered exploration of history through the Historia Crux.

How does the Historia Crux affect the gameplay in FINAL FANTASY XIII-2?

The Historia Crux branches off into multiple different routes depending on the player’s choices. You will be able to take a detour into areas that have branched off of the route you have taken, perform side missions and turn back time in each of the areas to experiment with all possibilities. It is of course also possible to progress simply following the main story, like in the original FINAL FANTASY XIII. The flow of areas accessible via Historia Crux has been structured so that all of the player’s actions and decisions will influence the gameplay.

Casual players will be able to use the Historia Crux in a similar manner to browsing a favourite website – picking and choosing between all the different links available. It also contains elements aimed at more dedicated gamers, allowing for more challenging play through encouraging exploration of all the different times and places; to find additional secrets including the multiple endings that are hidden in the different routes.

Many fans have been longing for an explorable World Map for a while. Do you feel that the Historia Crux is a good alternative?

The Historia Crux divides the world into multiple layers, overlapping with the different time periods that can be played with the feeling of jumping freely around several world maps. This is a completely new system and experience, so it cannot be unconditionally compared with other options; however, when considering the key concept of “player freedom”, I believe it to be an optimal system for combining the best parts of open-world style games with the story-driven aspects of FINAL FANTASY XIII. The player can adjust their play style to either delve deeply into everything available and be engrossed, or just make more straightforward choices while going along their adventure.

Is it possible to share more information on how the Historia Crux allows for sidequests and hidden objects to feature in the game?

In the original game, the sidequests were only unlocked in the second half of the story in Gran Pulse, but in the sequel we have put in many different sidequests right from the start. Due to the overwhelming demand from players of the original, we have also included many strong and colourful mini games, a tradition of the FINAL FANTASY series. You will be able to return to any of the times and places whenever you like from the Historia Crux, so it is completely up to the player in what way they choose to play these.

Is it possible to change events that happen in the future depending on your actions in the past?

Depending on the player’s actions, new turning points to new futures will appear in time, and these will certainly form the basis for the multiple endings.

This is the first time time travel has featured so prominently in a FINAL FANTASY game, is this something you'd like to explore more in future games?

For the FINAL FANTASY series, each game has its own new game system, so it is not as if we are intending on making time travel key to all future instalments. We want fans to look forward to each FINAL FANTASY having its own unique system. For FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, we are experimenting with carrying out repeated large scale user tests to reflect the opinions of users in the game itself. We really have received a lot of feedback about the game, but among the voices there are those who say it reminds them of the classic RPG, CHRONO TRIGGER. For FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, we are aiming to make time travel a major thematic direction, and be able to express this on high-end game machines.

Will we be meeting older/younger versions of FINAL FANTASY XIII characters as we travel through time?

The main characters from the original FINAL FANTASY XIII will show up in this journey through time, so we will see them in many different situations and guises. I am sure that the fans of the original will be looking forward to seeing them again and how they have changed over the years!

Is it possible to return to time periods you've already visited and replay them as if it’s your first time you have visited the area?

It will be possible to wind back time in each of the areas you visit and replay them. Character levels and equipment etc will be carried over so it will be possible to play the game as if doing a “New Game+” for each of the areas at different times. It will be possible to play through from the start using your levelled up characters, once you have completed the game. We have taken care to put a number of elements into the game system to make replays more exciting and user-friendly.

PAX 2011 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q8h81O6ZXg

l9p9701z.jpg

historiacrux_05us_rgbju40.jpg

historiacrux_06us_rgbzuqd.jpg

lightning19u2d.jpg

valhalla_01_rgb4u65.jpg

valhalla_02_rgb1ugv.jpg

valhalla_03_rgbfu47.jpg

valhalla_04_rgbku6n.jpg

110905_movie_01_rgbtuq8.jpg

110908_event_01hu37.jpg

110908_event_02bus8.jpg

110908_event_036ucp.jpg

110908_event_04uurh.jpg

110908_event_05zu6n.jpg

110908_event_06guoq.jpg

110908_event_07fuda.jpg

110908_movie20uhl.jpg

110908_movie_01gu9j.jpg

battle_100090_xboxus_r2uwg.jpg

battle_100091_xboxus_rkukq.jpg

battle_110905_ps3xuyr.jpg

cinema_02_ps32ur7.jpg

cinema_03_ps3us9utw.jpg

cinema_04_ps3usiumu.jpg

historiacrux_04us_rgbwje4.jpg

historiacrux21jbr.jpg

historiacrux3z8t6.jpg

cinema_100076_ps3us0118ts.jpg

cinema_04_ps3usdk17.jpg

Source:
http://t.co/LM2OhD6
http://t.co/Agb9zTQ
http://t.co/oDPOYHw

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You would think that shrinking them to this size would save enough bandwidth for Famitsu, but no, they need to go with hideous compression as well.

duckroll

I think FFXIII-2 is turning out to be really cool. Instead of being something that completely throws away the entire world and all the characters because of general "complaints" they've instead built up on the potential of the world and its history and mythology.

Serah and Noel are clearly the characters who explore the history and geography of Pulse in the game, using time travel, and the story will bring the players to locations both in the distant past and possibly in the far future. That seems pretty cool to me.

Lightning's part in the game will be exploring and expanding on the mythology of the world, showing players things which no humans in the world know about or truly understand. That seems pretty cool too.

One thing I really hope the game expands on is the level design. That was just plain bad in FFXIII. If they have that fixed, it'll probably be a very enjoyable game. The battle system of the original was fun, and adding in monsters you can capture and fit into your party seems like a good way to expand on the Optima system.

Cheska

Chocobo picture is the best, so many things going right with it. I just love snowy plains ^^ And finally, more attention given to the best pink haired bitch around =]

I need this game in my hands now!

duckroll

UnluckyKate said:
I just hope that time travel isn't just another excuse to reuse assets and levels

The areas look pretty different since they're separated by hundreds of years. Even if the overall core location is similar, as long as it's presented in such a unique way, and it adds to the story and exploration, I think it's great.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My general impressions are that I really love the art direction and really hate the abundance of QTEs.

I mean, seriously:

uszhytaitgfg13d7zjdt5sbuwb.jpg

da2ot-04.gif

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
Serah and Noel are clearly the characters who explore the history and geography of Pulse in the game, using time travel, and the story will bring the players to locations both in the distant past and possibly in the far future. That seems pretty cool to me.

Lightning's part in the game will be exploring and expanding on the mythology of the world, showing players things which no humans in the world know about or truly understand. That seems pretty cool too.
I was having a hard time trying to figure out what they're trying to achieve with the perspective split, but that a really nice way of putting it.

Pooya

Nirolak said:
My general impressions are that I really love the art direction and really hate the abundance of QTEs.

I mean, seriously:

QTEs just give you bonuses, you won't game over if you fail even all of them, it's not that bad imo. in FF13 you had to just sit and watch for the most part, not the greatest solution though!

Mr.Fresh

Wow! Some of the screens really are great like the already mentioned chocobo one. I hope they add way more interesting side quest then last time. Plus I hope there's secret weapons, secret monsters you van recruit and hidden/optional boss battles. Not only at the end of the game but spread across the game.

MrDenny

Had my doubts, but liking what I'm hearing now.
Will be interesting to see how the multiple endings will play out with the time traveling.
It would be awesome if bonus gates were unlocked as post game content.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
miladesn said:
QTEs just give you bonuses, you won't game over if you fail even all of them, it's not that bad imo. in FF13 you had to just sit and watch for the most part, not the greatest solution though!
I'm one of those crazy people who actually prefer to just watch the mini-cutscenes, because if there are QTEs, I end up missing half the cutscene because I'm trying to hit all the buttons in time.

I also don't have a lot of fast twitch muscles in my fingers, meaning I can't mash fast enough to complete a lot of mashing challenges and have to do awkward stuff like dropping the controller and pounding the button with my wrist to get them done in time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The English Conquistador said:
I really need to go back and finish FF13.

A question, is it worth finishing? I get bored pretty easily with it, though I enjoy it a lot. It's very slow though. -_-
This one is built in a way that you don't actually need to play to first one to understand it.

glaurung

The English Conquistador said:
I really need to go back and finish FF13.

A question, is it worth finishing? I get bored pretty easily with it, though I enjoy it a lot. It's very slow though. -_-
The later sections bring the pain and challenge of a proper FF game. I am willing to replay FFXIII for the cool weapon upgrades and awesome looking levels alone.

Fantastic. The new gameplay elements and battle revision is really making this a day 1 for me. The whole style of the game has changed since XIII, but not in a bad way, I can see this being a great companion piece to the first game.

weeaboo

I love pretty much everything except the QTEs and the (huge) Time Travel+Toriyama factor. I will probably decide my purchase based only on jGAF impressions so... looking forward the import/JP |OT|!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
duckroll said:
I think FFXIII-2 is turning out to be really cool. Instead of being something that completely throws away the entire world and all the characters because of general "complaints" they've instead built up on the potential of the world and its history and mythology.

One thing I really hope the game expands on is the level design. That was just plain bad in FFXIII. If they have that fixed, it'll probably be a very enjoyable game. The battle system of the original was fun, and adding in monsters you can capture and fit into your party seems like a good way to expand on the Optima system.

I'm feeling this way too. I actually loved XIII but I wanted to see more of its mithology and worlds explored. And I think they're working on this. The gameplay itself, seems already more promising so I'm satisfied already. They have to build on the lore to conquer me further.

Nirolak said:
This one is built in a way that you don't actually need to play to first one to understand it.

Hm, okay thank you.

I'm very fond of the game, I just can't bring myself to play it for very long. I'll hopefully get back to it before this, but it's good to know it's not a big deal if I don't. :)

glaurung said:
The later sections bring the pain and challenge of a proper FF game. I am willing to replay FFXIII for the cool weapon upgrades and awesome looking levels alone.

FF13 sure is purdy. :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't usually care for screenshots of a game but man..something about these make me excited. I adored 13 but made the mistake of getting it on release only to see it be 2k yen in 2 weeks. I'll definitely wait a little before jumping into this.

Dunan

The word should be 'OOPARTs', or 'out-of-place artifacts'.

Longtime Square fans may remember the word from Treasure Hunter G.

Ha! OOPArts isn't any less daft sounding - but thanks guys. :)

More Seriously - I was one of those people that liked 13 a lot - and this is looking pretty smart.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Perhaps Light this time can ride her summon for real and not just in battles :p
Would be a cool means of transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom