• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Non-Linear Time Traveling, Sidequests, New Great Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Best news update for a main FF for a long time, IMO.

Game no longer looks bland (graphic-wise or regarding the mood of the maps). Exploration seems unique and awesome in the way you would expect from a Chrono Trigger 2 HD. Replayability will get a 180º turn degree. And the multiple POVs might help with the flavor and the lore of the world this time.

Even if the story ends up being mediocre or overly pretentious, I'm expecting a really great game overall now.

Let's see how the improved crystarium and the improved weapon customisation systems will turn up in the future, once they reveal them.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
seabee said:
Lightning better be a playable character for more than 5 minutes.
I really hope so. I'll go crazy if we have to play as Serah 90% of the time.

In XIII-2, it’s the other way around; the two characters switched places. Lightning still plays an important role in the story, but the main character you play as is Serah who is looking for Lightning.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Goodness, this is in real-time O.O

619314_20110908_screen021.jpg

Kyoufu

Uuuuuuugh

I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate playing as Serah. She should have been knocked up by Snow instead :(

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Kyoufu said:
Uuuuuuugh
I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate playing as Serah. She should have been knocked up by Snow instead :(
Yeah kind of like what happened to Lulu in FFX-2. At least, Wakka and Lulu weren't playable in FFX-2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is it possible to return to time periods you've already visited and replay them as if it’s your first time you have visited the area?

It will be possible to wind back time in each of the areas you visit and replay them. Character levels and equipment etc will be carried over so it will be possible to play the game as if doing a “New Game+” for each of the areas at different times. It will be possible to play through from the start using your levelled up characters, once you have completed the game. We have taken care to put a number of elements into the game system to make replays more exciting and user-friendly.
I hope you can play with characters knocked back down to level 1, but still retain previous skills and minigame scores from the previous game... like in Final Fantasy X-2.

If there's something I didn't like about Chrono Trigger, it was that--you retained your levels and it ended up making the game quite easy even if you're playing for the alternate endings. I guess they're going for something similar here: speed through the game to get to another ending (and a trophy unlock, I guess). But for all the RH comparisons being made in the previous thread, the time travel doesn't sound as flexible (ie: in RH, nothing is really missable; here, it seems like stuff is missable, or decisions you make are permanent until you try something else in another playthrough).

Regardless, the ideas put on paper sound rather... enticing. Like I said, I hope the execution will be good.

Misterinenja said:
Why couldn't we have Hope as the main character? He's such a boss.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who liked Hope, even just a little...

Dark Schala said:
I hope you can play with characters knocked back down to level 1, but still retain previous skills and minigame scores from the previous game... like in Final Fantasy X-2.
Yeah, I'd really prefer that approach. FFX-2's new game+ is fun precisely because it retains a feeling of progression while you play, and because you don't just go around 1HKOing every single boss you meet.

george_us

Hype...rising....

The time traveling aspect sounds like it could be awesome. I'm cautiously optimistic that this game could be awesome.

Zhund0r

Neo Member
Perfo said:

pic[/QUOTE]

So, what? This is probably just the background for the fight with bahamut... Yeah right, we're going to walk through this lifeless hell of a city :P SE just needs to send some signals: Watch, we have a town! trololo

Perfo

I must correct myself on previous statements of mine: this time Square Enix is handling the marketing for this game much better than previous entries, especially XIII. They are really improving on this, delivering bits of news every week and bigger and better everytime, building the interest and hype. Great stuff, today's update was giant. Now I guess... all big revealings end here or there will be more behind this title to surprise us?

Zhund0r said:
So, what?

I was commenting on the fact that it appears to be completely in 3d and not some pre-rendered background like they did before. But I could still be wrong, great style though and that's the most good thing of that city.

DarkPanda

duckroll said:
Have you played FFX-2? I think they're going for something similar here.

I was going to say, the Historia Crux sounds a lot like how the airship worked in X-2. Which was fine, though I'm still going to miss an overworld map.

Teknoman

This is starting to sound like what FFXIII should have been. Heres hoping the battles feel even more involved, and they actually give us some bonuses if we have a completed XIII save. Great that we actually have to visit stores (the whole online shopping setup would have been much better in XIII if they had actual stores, yet you had to use the "save internet" to buy things in remote areas).

EDIT: And no chapter long tutorials please.

Perfo said:

Why is that so unbelievable, it looks about on par with the beginning of Chapter 12 in XIII (good god was that chapter pretty). The background buildings are fairly low in geometry.

Starting to feel a bit better about the time travel stuff now that it's a part of the game mechanics and not just narrative.

Calcaneus

This looks really nice, I'm tempted to buy the first one just for the
visuals. Its been so long and I would be going in with no expectations, I may just enjoy it.

Very happy by the screens and by the fact that many things seems right ( i still enjoyed FF13 despites teh falw it had ).

My question is simple ..is Leona Lewis back ? Will SE make the same mistake again ?

Joei

It sounds and looks really interesting, but after my experience with FF13, I'll continue to take a wait and see approach.

SykoTech

Misterinenja said:
Why couldn't we have Hope as the main character? He's such a boss.

huh-wait-what.gif

Love the way the snow area looks. New Game+ is also a great addition. Though I have yet to even replay the first game, so we'll see.

Sounds awesome. It seems like they're going to be implementing time travel in a pretty cool way, and the things Toriyama is talking about all sound really neat to me. I was already hyped up for this game, but now I feel even more excited for it. I'm intrigued by the possible ways that time travel can play around with how you'll experience other parts of the game.

Thoraxes

This thread is scaring me. There is a major lack of negativity in here, and I don't know how to feel.

Also, game looks real hot. I'm looking forward to all the information coming out of TGS, and seeing what the newer build has in it.

Luthos

At first I wasn't interested in this game at all. But after reading a bit about the story, I'm starting to get hyped.

Only thing so far that I'm worried about is the characters. I'm pretty sure I won't like Serah, and who knows with the Noel guy. And.... that's it. All we have else is monsters, right? Hopefully the Lightning parts are long. And maybe just maybe we get to play some of the other FFXIII characters?

Zafir

More and more announcements, and still no sign of any permanent characters bar Serah and Noel. Kind of disappointing. Noel is alright, but Serah, I thought it was a good thing she had a more minor part in XIII considering I find her character to be a bit, boring. I don't think I could tolerate just her and Noel throughout the entire game. I mean sure monsters are meant to be the other party members, but surely they could do an Enchanted Arms, where you can swap human characters out for collectable monsters. Monsters aren't really going to add much to the cutscenes, afterall.

Story's almost guaranteed to be terrible, but holy crap, this game actually might not suck. Shocking.

Meisadragon said:
I really hope so. I'll go crazy if we have to play as Serah 90% of the time.
Put Noel as party leader (which seems possible from what we've seen, looks like dual main character responsibilities), profit.

weeaboo

Perfo said:
Did you notice you can choose which "QTE" to input?

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2011/250/619315_20110908_screen004.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Wait what? that's....... good?!

Perfo

weeaboo said:
Wait what? that's....... good?!

Why not? Hoping it changes the result of course :p

Dark Schala said:
The QTEs in the screens, aesthetic-wise, look a little ugly. Nice that you can choose between weapons to execute an attack, but I don't like how the QTE prompts look at all.

Yeah, the HUD it's a bit ugly, unfortunately.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
StoppedInTracks said:
Hope being boss :lol
To be fair, Hope was pretty "boss" when he was going to
stab Snow in the face after he exploded Snow off that ledge. But I don't really like Snow in the first place

The QTEs in the screens, aesthetic-wise, look a little ugly. Nice that you can choose between weapons to execute an attack, but I don't like how the QTE prompts look at all.

weeaboo

Perfo said:
Why not? Hoping it changes the result of course :p

I'm just shocked. QTEs fucking sucks but that's a good way to make them interesting. They're doing a lot of good things in this game.

JudgeN

Is it just me or do the first to screenshots in the OP look kind of bad from an IQ standpoint? I don't remember FFXIII looking that bad on PS3.

Other then that it sounds amazing, i hope people give it a shot.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JudgeN said:
Is it just me or do the first to screenshots in the OP look kind of bad from an IQ standpoint? I don't remember FFXIII looking that bad on PS3.

Yeah. IQ is all over the place here...

While I am normally quite reticent to make wide sweeping assumptions about games I haven't played, I have to say that it sure looks like they are making this extremely kiddie friendly in the vein of kingdom hearts. The different time era's seems just like the themed worlds of kingdom hearts, the designs look similar, the dialogue looks just as ineffectual as bland, and im sure the power of friendship and courage will pop up. I really thoroughly enjoyed FF13, and for the first time EVER, I am really not looking forward to a final fantasy game.

I will remain cautiously optimistic for now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
To save her sister Serah from her crystallized form, Lightning sets out on a journey, and in the process, turns the entire world against her. Ultimately, she becomes Cocoon's savior, and a peaceful life is finally within reach.

Before she can embrace this prospect, however, it slips from her grasp.

She currently serves as the protector of the Goddess Etro, who resides in the land of chaos, Valhalla.

Infused with the Goddess's power, Lightning gains incredible strength as she engages in her own battle.

She soon encounters Noel, and asks him and Serah for their help. Although harsh on herself and others, Lightning is filled with determination and stands by her beliefs. After going through many trials with her friends and companions, she finds herself with a stronger sense of trust in the people around her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom