• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Non-Linear Time Traveling, Sidequests, New Great Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Onion_Relish said:
While I am normally quite reticent to make wide sweeping assumptions about games I haven't played, I have to say that it sure looks like they are making this extremely kiddie friendly in the vein of kingdom hearts. The different time era's seems just like the themed worlds of kingdom hearts, the designs look similar, the dialogue looks just as ineffectual as bland, and im sure the power of friendship and courage will pop up. I really thoroughly enjoyed FF13, and for the first time EVER, I am really not looking forward to a final fantasy game.

I will remain cautiously optimistic for now.
The different eras are kinda like how they were done in an old classic game called Chrono Trigger. Although KH world travelling might be similar in practice, it's probably just a coincidence. And there's nothing in such mechanic that is inherently kid-friendly. I'd even say there's the slight risk of being too complicated for kids to grasp, but it probably won't be so.

And the dialogue's so far is just as bad as the original FFXIII's one.

I was feeling pretty neutral about XIII-2, but that time-traveling mechanic is enough to sell me on the game. With Toriyama on the case the story is sure to be a mess, but hopefully it'll be an enjoyable mess at least.

eXistor

This is gonna be so much better than FFXIII ever was (I hope). Still I'm keeping my expectations low. I wish Final Fantasy would ground itself a bit more, action-wise. Bigger is almost never better, the more over the top you make it the less impact everything has.

Dunan

miladesn said:
110908_event_02bus8.jpg

I'm trying to read the Etro writing on the back of Noel's shirt and on his knife scabbard.

Even the 1280 x 720 screenshot leaves things very blurry, but just as a first guess, it looks like the top line on his shirt says:

LS QUI QUAERET MIRACULA

LS who will seek miracles

(LS must be an abbreviation; Lightning and Serah?)

I'm not sure about the next two lines.

The stuff on the knife is even harder to read, but it might be something like:

PER ______ STATAM__

ITER FACERE ET NAM SPEI

INVENIRE

Through ... (?) ...

make a path and thus find hope

It seems to be a reference to the phrase "qui quaerit, invenit" ("who seeks, shall find"; "seek and you shall find"), but I'm not sure about the middle part.

The conjugations seem to be wrong in some places, or (more likely) I'm misreading the characters or mistranslating it. I sure wish I were better at Latin!

Anyone have an even bigger and clearer screenshot that than one?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
I'm trying to read the Etro writing on the back of Noel's shirt and on his knife scabbard.

Even the 1280 x 720 screenshot leaves things very blurry, but just as a first guess, it looks like the top line on his shirt says:

LS QUI QUAERET MIRACULA

LS who will seek miracles

(LS must be an abbreviation; Lightning and Serah?)

I'm not sure about the next two lines.

The stuff on the knife is even harder to read, but it might be something like:

PER ______ STATAM__

ITER FACERE ET NAM SPEI

INVENIRE

Through ... (?) ...

make a path and thus find hope

It seems to be a reference to the phrase "qui quaerit, invenit" ("who seeks, shall find"; "seek and you shall find"), but I'm not sure about the middle part.

The conjugations seem to be wrong in some places, or (more likely) I'm misreading the characters or mistranslating it. I sure wish I were better at Latin!

Anyone have an even bigger and clearer screenshot that than one?
I wouldn't be surprised if conjugations and declensions are incorrect. :p I can't read it, though. My vision is awful.
KuGsj.gif

The first thing must be an an abbreviation for something. I cannot recall a word in Latin that consists of L and a second letter. The last word I can make out for myself looks a lot like miracula (pl. nom/acc/voc of miraculum; neuter). So... "____, who will seek miracles" is right. I'm not even going to attempt the other two lines... I can't see them.

*gawks* How can you see the stuff on the knife? I can only make out the per (through), nam (for/because/thus), and spei (can be gen (sing) or dat (sing) of spes (hope)). I'm just throwing all the options out there because I can't make out anything else to form a cohesive morphologically and syntatically-correct statement. Are you sure that word is statam (fem, acc, sing of status)? It looks longer... and I can't really make out the characters well. Going by what you wrote, it could be a conjugation of sto, stare (I stand, I remain/stay).

Dunan, it's an entirely different script from Cocoonian and Pulsian, isn't it?

Droplet

Hey, this is actually looking okay! Awesome! And I don't even mind Noel yet! (and I kinda do like his design minus the uncomfortable looking pants)

miladesn said:

huge render ^

I...actually don't like this render as much. I like the pose but her face just looks off somehow. Somehow.

DaBuddaDa

The interview makes the game sound amazing, but I don't know if I'll be able to get over Serah and this Noel guy as main characters. They're just so unappealing to my sensibilities.

i hope both snow and hope die in a car accident at the beginning of the game

vanille can stay if she agrees to take out her vocal cords

Dunan

Just who I hoped would show up!

My vision is equally awful, but magnifying the screen an insane number of times is at least making the letters a little bit easier to see. I think I hit Command-+ 10 or 15 times!

I think I can make out a little more of the third line on his shirt:

ET INTRABIT MUNDUM CAELUM

and will enter the world and heaven (the world of heaven? are both mundum and caelum accusative?)

Is that correct? I'm not 100% sure on the intrabit part.

The second line is too blurry; maybe the first word is CUM and the last word starts with an F.

Dark Schala said:
The first thing must be an an abbreviation for something. I cannot recall a word in Latin that consists of L and a second letter. The last word I can make out for myself looks a lot like miracula (pl. nom/acc/voc of miraculum; neuter). So... "____, who will seek miracles" is right. I'm not even going to attempt the other two lines... I can't see them.

*gawks* How can you see the stuff on the knife? I can only make out the per (through), nam (for/because/thus), and spei (can be gen (sing) or dat (sing) of spes (hope)). I'm just throwing all the options out there because I can't make out anything else to form a cohesive morphologically and syntatically-correct statement. Are you sure that word is statam (fem, acc, sing of status)? It looks longer... and I can't really make out the characters well. Going by what you wrote, it could be a conjugation of sto, stare (I stand, I remain/stay).

The statam could be the latter half of a longer word. I don't think you can trust the spacing very much; there should be a space between facere and et on the knife, but it looks more like half a space.

Dunan, it's an entirely different script from Cocoonian and Pulsian, isn't it?

Yes, this Etro script is entirely different from the Cocoonian and Pulsian scripts, which I find to be somewhat related to each other. I'm glad to see them making more use of it this time; in the original game it flashed by too quickly in the Eidolon animations, so only the people with freeze-frame video or who bought the Ultimania Omega could appreciate it!

Dunan

Come to think of it, 'Caelum' is Noctis' surname in Versus, isn't it? I have no idea how they got チェラム as a pronunciation for that; in Latin it's カエルム or チェルムor maybe チェールム.

Not as bad as ペリステリウム for peristylium, but they really should placate their fans and get it right.

duckroll said:
I think FFXIII-2 is turning out to be really cool.

I know, right?

The thing that was good about XIII was its battle system, and to some degree the limited exploration/questing element in Gran Pulse.

What was lousy about XIII was the linearity and lack of sidequests. So far, this information describes for us a game that expands upon the battle system while dramatically opening up the game's structure with nonlinear progression and tons of sidequests.

Let's see if the Luck of the *-2s can strike again and I can have another game worthy of a place of honor next to the unimpeachable X-2 on my shelf!

DR2K said:
With this and Mass Effect 3, I'll be one happy rpg gamer Q1 2012.

Don't forget to pick up a copy of Tales of Graces F.

Enjoyed the first one. Excited to play this. I just love Square Enix production values. Hopefully a platinum wont involve 60 hours of grinding in this one!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
Just who I hoped would show up!

My vision is equally awful, but magnifying the screen an insane number of times is at least making the letters a little bit easier to see. I think I hit Command-+ 10 or 15 times!

I think I can make out a little more of the third line on his shirt:

ET INTRABIT MUNDUM CAELUM

and will enter the world and heaven (the world of heaven? are both mundum and caelum accusative?)

Is that correct? I'm not 100% sure on the intrabit part.
Both mundum and caelum are neuter, so they can be accusative. Do note that caelum has two meanings: sky/heaven and burin. I... don't think it'll be burin, though. Just a hunch. I think there's a preposition missing in that statement (but that's me being nitpicky; the preposition isn't really required).

"and [he/she/it] will enter the [now something here has to be declined correctly... something should be in the genitive here]" It if were "world and heaven" then et, atque/ac or que (ex: Amo canem felemque "I like dogs and cats") would be included. It's probably his shirt and back obstructing the view.

If it were "the world of heaven", then it would be mundum caeli... I believe. It's kind of odd they're not going with SOV construction a lot, but I'm nitpicking.

For reference, the declension paradigm for neuter nouns is:
Code:
    | singular | plural
----------------------------
nom |   -um    |  -a
gen |   -i     |  -orum
dat |   -o     |  -is
acc |   -um    |  -a
abl |   -o     |  -is
voc |   -um    |  -a
The statam could be the latter half of a longer word. I don't think you can trust the spacing very much; there should be a space between facere and et on the knife, but it looks more like half a space.
That's facere for sure, in the infinitive? Infinitives are usually used as nouns (which can't be declined) in Latin, as a complementary infinitive, and in indirect speech (ie:... Acc Subject + Infinitive in subordinate clauses after verbs of thinking/saying/perceiving... so... dicit se cadere "he says that he's falling" or hoc volunt persuadere, non interire animas "they want to persuade [us] that souls do not perish"). Latin very very rarely uses the infinitive to show purpose. Facere and et do look like they're one word... though that's the way Classical Latin normally is, lol.

I can't really tell with the statam even with it really zoomed in. :O

Yes, this Etro script is entirely different from the Cocoonian and Pulsian scripts, which I find to be somewhat related to each other. I'm glad to see them making more use of it this time; in the original game it flashed by too quickly in the Eidolon animations, so only the people with freeze-frame video or who bought the Ultimania Omega could appreciate it!
I thought it was quite odd that alphabet entries were not included at all in the Datalog. Why put so much thought into an alphabet when you're not going to explain it to the player? Alphabet entries would have been a good use for the Datalog, imo.

Come to think of it, 'Caelum' is Noctis' surname in Versus, isn't it? I have no idea how they got チェラム as a pronunciation for that; in Latin it's カエルム or チェルムor maybe チェールム.

Not as bad as ペリステリウム for peristylium, but they really should placate their fans and get it right.
What?! That's hilarious. I prefer カエルム myself.

MechaX

Kyoufu said:
Really don't want to play as Serah. I want Lightning :(

Why does Toriyama hate us?

If Toriyama really hated us, he would make Snow and only Snow the main character.

At the very least, we get to play as Lightning some of the time. I'd prefer that in combination with Noel and Serah over... well... the rest of the non-Sazh original cast.

Thoraxes

Part of me wants Versus to be Pulse in the future with the corrected timeline which would be a result of the events of XIII-2.

SE, hire me. We got this.

valhalla_03_rgbfu47.jpg

valhalla_04_rgbku6n.jpg

So, will this city be totaly empty, with nothing to do but go down a few streets and buildings? So far it seems pretty dead to me.

Im still hoping for some more locations, specifically towns and cities other than the Bresha ruins and Serahs home town.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
SpaceBridge said:
So, will this city be totaly empty, with nothing to do but go down a few streets and buildings? So far it seems pretty dead to me.

It seems an abandoned city to me, afterall should be an holy-place so I doubt you find citizens selling their stuff in the streets and parade for the carnival going on – while Light is battling her rival in the skies above :D

But they promised big cities and all so...
I expect more than just two.

I'm more curious to know if Valhalla is just that city or behind the invisible door there's an entire region/planet to explore. Boh?

Grivenger said:
The different eras are kinda like how they were done in an old classic game called Chrono Trigger. Although KH world travelling might be similar in practice, it's probably just a coincidence. And there's nothing in such mechanic that is inherently kid-friendly. I'd even say there's the slight risk of being too complicated for kids to grasp, but it probably won't be so.

And the dialogue's so far is just as bad as the original FFXIII's one.

I'll admit that I realised I had made a connection to chrono trigger right after I posted, so I can probably relent on that point. And I didn't mean kiddie as in epic mickey, but more like juvenile. Everything about kingdom hearts is incredibly juvenile and lacking in import, and everything I've seen from this game so far seems the same. Remember in the original ff13 trailer when lightning just straight up shot someone in the face? That is clearly not the direction this game is taking. It doesnt have to be cod-dudebro-grimdark, but yeah, im hoping for the best as always.

Thoraxes

Perfo said:
I'm more curious to know if Valhalla is just that city or behind the invisible door there's an entire region/planet to explore. Boh?
The more and more explained about the game, the more I expect it to be like the End of Time in Chrono Trigger.

Also for what we know and have seen of the game, I have a feeling we've only seen inklings of a very small amount of content in the grand scheme of things.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Onion_Relish said:
I'll admit that I realised I had made a connection to chrono trigger right after I posted, so I can probably relent on that point. And I didn't mean kiddie as in epic mickey, but more like juvenile. Everything about kingdom hearts is incredibly juvenile and lacking in import, and everything I've seen from this game so far seems the same. Remember in the original ff13 trailer when lightning just straight up shot someone in the face? That is clearly not the direction this game is taking. It doesnt have to be cod-dudebro-grimdark, but yeah, im hoping for the best as always.

But this still doesn't make sense. It's like you're equating having disconnected worlds/areas to juvenile-ness. Basically you're saying that because XIII-2 has disconnected worlds, like KH, it will be juvenile... Which really doesn't click at all...

GorillaJu

I'm becoming more optimistic and less cautious as more information comes out about this game. Someone mentioned it on the first page, and I agree that it's sounding much closer to what one would expect from Final Fantasy. Much more than XIII.

As always though, the point of contention is the story. Is Square willing to eschew the melodramatic courage and friendship cliché in favor of a subtler and more compelling storyline? What I'd like to see most is an improvement in characterization and hopefully some more unpredictability in how the people behave and change. Hell, it would be nice if the characters changed at all in any meaningful sense. From the beginning of FF6 to the end, every single character went through significant shifts in their outlook and demeanors, and the end result was a storyline that actually felt like a journey more than a quick ride. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Noel is even the slightest bit interesting as a character.

The graphics look incredible though. Bow + arrow Serah and dual knife Noel is a very classic Japanese set-up for a man/woman protagonist pairing. Lightning looks pretty cool, and suspiciously androgynous for a female character. I'm digging pretty much everything I've seen so far.

Even the "bonus" QTEs dont bother me. Reminds me of the button-mashing and Gunblade triggering in FF8, which I was a fan of.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nonlinear time-traveling elements and sidequests are awesome things... hopefully the sidequests will be more than fetch-quests and hunts... perhaps throw in a few minigames? I haven't really paid much attention to this, but with the latest entry of my favorite S-E series being a total bust, now it's time to start paying more attention.

The crazy environments were my favorite part of 13 (apart from the music, which was excellent), so I'm excited to see that is back. Hopefully level design is improved. This may end up being the first FF game I like in a long while!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The more I know about this game the more Im liking it. I soooo badly want this to be what XIII should have been.

Jex

Nirolak said:
I'm one of those crazy people who actually prefer to just watch the mini-cutscenes, because if there are QTEs, I end up missing half the cutscene because I'm trying to hit all the buttons in time.
It's a really stupid part of current game design, that's for certain.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Visual Works' work (lol) especially seems fantastic. I thought they were going for cheaper CGI but I'm relieved to see that's not the case. Maybe it's still a cash-in product but they're really pushing it far. The most surprising thing is the "less than 2yrs" development, not even Bioware has been fast as them with ME and DA. How they achieved this o_O?

The Historia Crux is a new gameplay system that functions like a compass for time travel. As the portal which allows the player to select areas and time periods to go to, it functions a bit like a home menu and is at the heart of the story and gameplay progression of FINAL FANTASY XIII-2. The player can enjoy travelling through time by freely choosing between all the time-space locations where gates have been opened up. Although these locations proceed onwards into the future, you also have the option of rewinding time so it will be possible to experience many different historical possibilities.

Ooh! I wonder where they got the idea for this from?

Cover.jpg

Nah.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ooh! I wonder where they got the idea for this from?

http://www.allrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Cover.jpg[IMG]

Nah.[/QUOTE]
At least they're looking at the right games this time. FFXIII-1 was officially inspired by football games or whatever, according to Kitase.

charlequin said:
I know, right?

The thing that was good about XIII was its battle system, and to some degree the limited exploration/questing element in Gran Pulse.

What was lousy about XIII was the linearity and lack of sidequests. So far, this information describes for us a game that expands upon the battle system while dramatically opening up the game's structure with nonlinear progression and tons of sidequests.

Let's see if the Luck of the *-2s can strike again and I can have another game worthy of a place of honor next to the unimpeachable X-2 on my shelf!

Nailed it.

If this is at least as good as X-2 (and it sounds to be an even better "-2" game) then I will forever weep in agony that they didn't do FF12-2.

didn't like XIII but the time travelling stuff here sounds fun. Not sure if want though. Just didn't like the combat system and boringness of FFXIII

Sblargh

Banned
Oh my, loved FF13 (even if I think it could be way better and all). This is looking better!

I hope they keep the battle system almost intact. It really is a great battle system once the game finally lets you use it.

Grinchy

Banned
Damnit...this actually looks/sounds good.

I am not getting my hopes up again. I am not getting my hopes up again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Perfo said:
Visual Works' work (lol) especially seems fantastic. I thought they were going for cheaper CGI but I'm relieved to see that's not the case. Maybe it's still a cash-in product but they're really pushing it far. The most surprising thing is the "less than 2yrs" development, not even Bioware has been fast as them with ME and DA. How they achieved this o_O?

By recycling locations and assets.

MechaX

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
My, my the amount of crow being partaken suddenly.

There's hope in what we have been reading, but Crow can only be really served at the release of the actual game.

When I first heard about Noel as a time traveler, I thought it sounded really stupid. While I still do, it seems like it can lead to really interesting gameplay and scenarios. The gameplay system actually sounds really cool. It seems very similar to the system in Tactics Ogre PSP, which was awesome. The only things that make me sad are that it will take too much of my time to go through it all (as in Tactics Ogre) and the fact that they, for marketing reasons, speak of it as an entirely new system. They aren't giving Matsuno the credit he deserves. :(

Kagari said:
By recycling locations and assets.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. With the bulk of the work for the actual game already finished, hopefully they can concentrate on making it good.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
nelsonroyale said:
They look fairly different from the locations in FFXIII though....
Yes, but they did most of the work while developing FFXIII. Something tells me they already planned to do FFXIII-2 before FFXIII came out.

I'm not complaining though, this is turning out to be a fantastic game.

Before the newly revealed information, I had almost no interest in the game. I was hoping to maybe get the game during bargain bomba sale weekend or something. But after reading the interview,

E9cUd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom