• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Non-Linear Time Traveling, Sidequests, New Great Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinople

duckroll said:
The reason FFX-2 did that, was because the actual FFX battle system wasn't very well received, but fans were mostly receptive towards the general area design and the way the world looked. They felt there were no major changes they needed to make to the approach to the environment and art, but felt fans would appreciate a return to an ATB driven battle system. They were right.

Did the developers say that in an interview or something?
I was under the impression it was actually well received and after checking some reviews, on mk2 and some other places, it seems to be the case.

Pooya

xion4360 said:
thats the demo they will have at TGS. Glad its new (of course...)
It's Bresha Ruins again actually >.< maybe they show Historiacross this time. that's it I guess...

here; same area even..

169_e32011_final_fantaifil.jpg

Dunan

You know what I like about that map? It looks like north is in a fixed position, rather than the ridiculous FFXIII system where not just the minimaps but also the pause screen maps automatically rotated based on which direction you were facing in.

So with this map they've either fixed the problem, or the player is facing in exactly the right direction.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The Xtortionist said:
That minimap is enormous.

I agree, and I hated it even in the previous game. I know you can deactivate it though but... maybe something smaller will be just better :D

nelsonroyale said:
They look fairly different from the locations in FFXIII though....

They're recycling the giant pile of assets they made for FFXIII and then didn't use.

Twilight Princess said:
FFXIII-3 will be out before versus.

But Versus 2 will be out before XIII-4!

Meier

I really hope the 360 version is better this time in comparison to the PS3 version. If it isn't, I may swap over.

Fuck Square Enix and their HD efforts. Tired of this bullshit. XIII sucked. XIV was ass. they can kiss my black ass.
Portable all day erryday.

Pooya

"Recent Battle total"

I wonder if those scores mean something this time.

"NORMAL MODE"

this is new too, difficulty maybe? or ATB speed? this doesn't show up in FF13, I'm pretty sure.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, those screens are pretty. I'm not a fan of the first game, but I'll keep an open mind about this one.

Thoraxes

Oh wow.
I wonder what kind of leveling up system will be in place now? Maybe we will have more focus on weapon upgrades and crafting or something, especially since in that last screen there seems to be some emphasis on making farming drops easier somehow (with that 400% increase thing).

I think that was something a lot of people missed out on too; the weapons crafting system.

As far as "recent battle" goes, I wonder if it'll be like what Grade is in Tales games and their New Game+.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So you don't get CP anymore? Interesting...

I will add that it's still an incredible relief to see that battles reward you with money this time around.

StoppedInTracks said:
WOW RARE DROP 400% UP

From 0.001% to 0.004%... fucking Dark Matters!
More like "fucking Ingots and Traps!" in my case...

Dark Matters and Gold Nuggets came easy to me. :/

rvy

Banned
Press A for awesome then. Well, I guess it beats the characters standing still, holding their weapons, waiting for their turn. At least it doesn't look silly in that sense.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Xtortionist said:
I'll laugh if the FF13-2 postgame is just turtles again.
You'll laugh at my misery. :(

If I see one screen for this game that has an Adamantoise or Gui, I'll be annoyed. I've had my fill of them and I no longer wanted to dine on turtle soup after hours upon hours of battling them, hoping for a drop. Battling against them is so boring... -_-

strem

I have been trying to avoid reading much about 13-2 but tonight I finally broke down. Fantastic job on the post!

After reading this my hype level has gone way up. The time travel stuff sounds interesting. The screens look fantastic. I enjoyed the 13 universe but they didn't do a very good job of letting us see it. I am glad we get to return to it.

I hope now that my man Shaz makes a return appearance.

Feep

Banned
I have to admit, FFXIII-2 looks a lot more intriguing than it did when it was announced, when I immediately said, "Fuck no."

If only they could hire a competent writer. I was cringing at most of the dialogue in XIII, and this is even worse.

ZeroRay

The dialogue in both games is indeed terrible.

But if we get a well designed game around the battle system, it'll redeem FFXIII for me...as long as I skip the cutscenes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Meier said:
I really hope the 360 version is better this time in comparison to the PS3 version. If it isn't, I may swap over.

Given the choice, probably should go with PS3... lead platform, etc. Looked better at E3, anyway, APZonerunner and myself having spent extensive time with both.

As for the Fan Meeting... I can't believe it's the same demo location... Yeah they've updated the build, but I was expecting a new area, at least. Can't believe they're putting modes in this, though. FFXIII Easy Mode was way too easy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FFXIII-2 Japanese release date probably at TGS. A Limited Edition is being considered...
FFXIII-2 was in development for a year and 1/2. Game is now 90% complete.
Snow will definitely appear, he's yet to marry Serah.
Some sort of savedata function from FFXIII might carry over to the sequel.

dramatis

Kagari said:
FFXIII-2 Japanese release date probably at TGS. A Limited Edition is being considered...
Go to bed, man.

It'll be a pink PS3 with Serah and Noel on it.

FreeMufasa

Kagari said:

Heres hoping for a late November/early December JP release. Gotta get in there before the Christmas/New Year rush.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Rpgmonkey said:
You don't get CP anymore?

And I'm glad that getting a high rank appears to have more direct and worthwhile effects.

Rank did affect drops in FFXIII. It just wasn't made as clear as the above "400%" message.

Also, I'm kind of sick of seeing Bresha Ruins...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The more I hear of this game, more it seems a winner to me.
Go go Square!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wrote up a full report:

The FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Fan Meeting took place earlier today, and with it comes a small bit of new information.

Fans were able to sample the latest build of the game, although it seems the demo focused on the exact same Bresha Ruins location from the E3 demo. Several tweaks have been made since then, however, including the addition of possible Normal/Easy modes, and changes to the Battle Results screen.

Speaking in a roundtable discussion, the development staff shared some interesting details with everyone. FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 has been in development for around 1 and 1/2 years. Decisions to go ahead with the sequel were made not long after the North American and European launches of FINAL FANTASY XIII. As for a release date, that information should hopefully be shared at TGS, along with the possibility of a Limited Edition version.

In story news, Motomu Toriyama says that Snow will indeed make an appearance in the game, although he has yet to marry Serah, he jokes. There will also be plenty of Lightning.

Regarding multiple endings, the plot will branch out quite a bit. Lindzei, Pulse, and the Goddess Etro are the “axis” of the story.

Noel and Vanille talk of the same inward battle in their words, how are the two related…?

Don’t delete your FINAL FANTASY XIII clear file just yet! For those that played the original, some save data functionality might carry over.

Those able to attend got to sample next week’s TGS ROM noted that the difficulty was fairly high. The game’s “Monster Hunter” aspect was shown in full form, now with added chocobos to your party. Full party specifics have yet to be shared, but Toriyama has previously noted that it will consist of Serah, Noel, a captured monster, and sometimes, a guest character. That’s not counting Lightning’s playable sections.

As a thank you for coming, Toriyama and Kitase awarded fans with signed posters featuring XIII-2&#8242;s Lightning and Serah keyart. In the meantime, the staff wants fans to look forward to the Tokyo Game Show movie. With it just around the corner, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 will no doubt be there in a big way.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kagari said:
Those able to attend got to sample next week’s TGS ROM noted that the difficulty was fairly high. The game’s “Monster Hunter” aspect was shown in full form, now with added chocobos to your party. Full party specifics have yet to be shared, but Toriyama has previously noted that it will consist of Serah, Noel, a captured monster, and sometimes, a guest character. That’s not counting Lightning’s playable sections.
I was aware that Noel and Serah are going to be the protagonists of this game, but I had no idea they're touted as the only main party characters. (Are they?)

Also, what/who is "Lindzei"?

duckroll

Jinfash said:
I was aware that Noel and Serah are going to be the protagonists of this game, but I had no idea they're touted as the only main party characters. (Are they?)

Also, what/who is "Lindzei"?

Think of it as FFX-2. This way you have a fixed party system, where the game will be balanced around knowing exactly what characters you have throughout the entire game, and the player's gameplay focus will be developing and tweaking that fixed party instead of picking from a larger pool of characters.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
Think of it as FFX-2. This way you have a fixed party system, where the game will be balanced around knowing exactly what characters you have throughout the entire game, and the player's gameplay focus will be developing and tweaking that fixed party instead of picking from a larger pool of characters.
Well I'm not entirely against it when you put it that way. As long as they keep the two characters interesting throughout the game (and avoid the English Vanille level of obnoxiousness), and give me full control over a robust character upgrade system, I'll be content.

Speaking of upgrades, how much have they talked about the monster recruiting aspect?

Can they be customized too? Is there a limit to how many I can recruit at a time? Will I be able to recruit multiple of each type?

The best case scenario would be: "Yes. No. No." in my opinion. (Yes, I want a FF pokemon)

Kagari said:
Lindzei is part of the FNC mythology: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Lindzei
What did I step into? where was this elaborate mythology hidden in the XIII I played?

I'm really digging it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jinfash said:
What did I step into? where was this elaborate mythology hidden in the XIII I played?

I'm really digging it.

Some of it was only expanded on during the January conference this year. Otherwise... read the datalog?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kagari said:
Some of it was only expanded on during the January conference this year. Otherwise... read the datalog?
Stop to read the datalog?

I was too busy running!

duckroll

Jinfash said:
Stop to read the datalog?

I was too busy running!

Well most of it isn't really in the datalog proper. A huge part of the mythology in FFXIII was revealed to the player through the unlockable entries detailing the history and mythology of Pulse, which you get by doing the optional quests on Gran Pulse. It was pretty damn cool, and probably the most creative optional content in the entire game.

This game actually sounds really promising. Any well implemented time travel aspects can do that for an RPG. I never did get around to playing FFXIII, but I will have to if this game turns out good... it just sucks that I hate the art direction of the enemies for the most part. It's just too generic and cheesy looking compared to the older FFs. Kind of like how some Pokemon in Black and White look like they're straight out of Ben 10... they lost the touch. : /

Pooya

Jinfash said:
Speaking of upgrades, how much have they talked about the monster recruiting aspect?

Can they be customized too? Is there a limit to how many I can recruit at a time? Will I be able to recruit multiple of each type?

The best case scenario would be: "Yes. No. No." in my opinion. (Yes, I want a FF pokemon)

we know you can upgrade them and even equip them with accessories. They haven't talked about the upgrades/growth system in the game yet. There will be ~150 different monsters in the game and each one has different abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom