• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Non-Linear Time Traveling, Sidequests, New Great Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
weeaboo said:
Snow play-arts figure

GThbZ.png

ohmygah

I thought it was a Ken doll for some reason. :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I never beat FF13... forcing myself to beat it... But I will play this on PS3. 360 version be damned >_<!

Most of the screens in the OP are bullshots, right? The AA looks too good. Anyway, the game sounds great. I actually want to play a JRPG... wow.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm lookin at an unplayed copy of XIII wondering if it's worth putting in...so much negative buzz. Is the combat in XIII-2 going to be the same as in XIII? Would that be enough to give the first one a chance, or will I have to trudge through 14 hours of tutorials till shit gets real?

On another note, this Helix Nebula or whatever sounds kinda like the mission-map frome X-2, for better or worse.

edgefusion

bistromathics said:
I'm lookin at an unplayed copy of XIII wondering if it's worth putting in...so much negative buzz. Is the combat in XIII-2 going to be the same as in XIII? Would that be enough to give the first one a chance, or will I have to trudge through 14 hours of tutorials till shit gets real?

On another note, this Helix Nebula or whatever sounds kinda like the mission-map frome X-2, for better or worse.

If you own it already then just put it in and see if you enjoy it. You'll find out quicker than waiting for replies here.

Skilletor

Relix said:
I never beat FF13... forcing myself to beat it... But I will play this on PS3. 360 version be damned >_<!

I'm doing the same. I quit at chapter 11. Just picked up again and just got back to cocoon. Omg @ the cg at.

I wish there was a theater mode.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
edgefusion said:
If you own it already then just put it in and see if you enjoy it. You'll find out quicker than waiting for replies here.
all i heard about it was the gruelingly long tutorial section, though

dramatis

bistromathics said:
Sell your unplayed copy. The battle system in 13-2 is a slightly modified version of the vanilla 13 system. You'll have better luck just waiting for 13-2 than to play 13 if it bothers you that much to have a long tutorial.

As for the story...well, that's what youtube is for.

Crazetex

InsertNameHere said:
I'm getting a Radiant Historia vibe. Not really sure if it'll work that well for a Final Fantasy game. I dunno.

This. I mean, I wish Radiant Historia had a much larger budget, but I can't exactly trust SE or this franchise with such a great idea.

Bleh.

Mr.Fresh

bistromathics said:
It's just threw the 1st 14 or so hours you can't choose who you want in your party and who you want to play as. You still upgrade your crystarium, you still paradigm shift and all. It is corridors until you reach pulse tho. Which is chapter 8 or 9 I think, I haven't played in a while.

xion4360

Ace_235 said:
It's just threw the 1st 14 or so hours you can't choose who you want in your party and who you want to play as. You still upgrade your crystarium, you still paradigm shift and all. It is corridors until you reach pulse tho. Which is chapter 8 or 9 I think, I haven't played in a while.

Ch11. and its pretty much corridors throughout really. There is 1 open area in pulse (archylte Steppe?) that acts as a hub between other "corridor" like areas. XIII was a freakishly limited game but 2 really looks solid.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
miladesn said:
first? piece of retailer specific preorder dlc/bonus
http://andriasang.com/comyb2/

Why instead of this unuseful stuff they don't just release exclusive story-chapters with pre-ordering, it works so well with Mass Effect and Dragon Age. They could do even something cooler, like an "Episode 0" where you control "Caius" and see his backstory before the happenings. There are so many chances and potential with this format that is a waste seeing again most of the DLCs used for some weapons or costumes.

Pooya

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/fabula/ff13-2/

OST page opened.

Perfo said:
Why instead of this unuseful stuff they don't just release exclusive episodes with story with pre-ordering, it works so well with Mass Effect and Dragon Age. They could do even something cooler, like an "Episode 0" where you control "Caius" and see his backstory before the happenings. There are so many chances and potential with this format that is a waste seeing again most of the DLCs used for some weapons or costumes.

eh err? the more not useful these retailer exclusive stuff are the better.

Perfo

miladesn said:

I was not necessary referring to pre-order items sorry, but to DLCs in general. I heard Square Enix for now announced just Weapons, Monsters and Costumes to come... all things I don't really need. I mean, If I have to buy a DLC for this game one day, I'd prefer it to be something like "Lair of the Shadow Broker" (ME2) more than some extra weapons that I don't really have use for it. Maybe it's just me, but I'm usually only buying DLCs with story content. I can't see myself spending 2 euros on a Serah's costume instead of 4-6 euros for a 1-2hrs new journey in the lore of FFXIII-2. More over when the structure of the game (Historia Crux) really fits with the downloadable episodes concept.

miladesn said:

Limited edition it's a day one for me :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
miladesn said:
oh god my wallet. :(

Actually it doesn't seem that bad this time around. Ordering when it's available (and I hope the exchange rate gets better when it's available).

Seriously. I think this practice is pretty dumb. If we get retailer-exclusive preorder bonuses in NA/EU it'll probably be for GameStop or GAME.

Pooya

Some bits from the demo at Eurogamer expo (latest build of the demo); not much new/important. small things.

watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uty1hs7V970

example of a side quest;

finalfantasyxiii-2histbuc9.jpg

map menu with list of active quests on it.

finalfantasyxiii-2hist3u5s.jpg

Paradigm shift;
Cerberus-X
Combat Clinic-W
they have different symbols on the that circle/wheel thing, the letter must be indicating the paradigm tune.

finalfantasyxiii-2hist5uzr.jpg

finalfantasyxiii-2histiu4j.jpg

Pre-emptive strike;

it's different now, Noel only hits one enemy and it fills only half of the chain bar, you get buff instead looks like it (haste here)

finalfantasyxiii-2histeuyv.jpg

finalfantasyxiii-2histjukm.jpg

pause menu;
finalfantasyxiii-2histiu1h.jpg

"Save" and "Return to "Historia Crux" are here.

and settings;
finalfantasyxiii-2histcuit.jpg

Pooya

The side quest thing is called a "fragment"

finalfantasyxiii-2histbuc9.jpg

looking at Historia Crux menu for example, looks like there are 8 fragments in Bresha Ruins AF005? maybe they are same thing.

historiacrux3g8n6.jpg

I don't know what "progression 0/157" is still;

Perfo

I'm starting to think all the game is set in "mini-stages" (Historia Crux) not connected to each other. This means we access a place/period, solve the problem there (es. Breasha Ruins) then moving on with another period. There could be no way to pass from one area to another one by travelling on foot, all could be done just by taking "teleports". I don't think this method of "exploration" was what I was expecting... but it sounds interesting in its mechanics.

Famassu

Perfo said:
I'm starting to think all the game is set in "mini-stages" (Historia Crux) not connected to each other. This means we access a place/period, solve the problem there (es. Breasha Ruins) then moving on with another period. There could be no way to pass from one area to another one by travelling on foot, all could done just by taking "teleports". I don't think this method of "exploration" was what I was expecting...
Eh? That doesn't sound very likely. Don't these gates just take you through time in the place where you're at (and aren't they mostly for side-quest purposes)? That, to me, would suggest that there's at least some connectivity between places. Part of it might be like Final Fantasy X where some place is only accessible with an airship and you pick that place from the map, but there are still locations where you run through several different environments to maybe arrive at some city, where you can take some form of transportation to some other island/part of the world.

duckroll

Perfo said:
I'm starting to think all the game is set in "mini-stages" (Historia Crux) not connected to each other. This means we access a place/period, solve the problem there (es. Breasha Ruins) then moving on with another period. There could be no way to pass from one area to another one by travelling on foot, all could be done just by taking "teleports". I don't think this method of "exploration" was what I was expecting... but it sounds interesting in its mechanics.

I think areas could actually be connected. It could be that in order to travel through time for a given area, you need to get to that area first and find the gate there. The Historia Crux could just be a sort of linked map menu to allow easy teleport between areas and timelines. Think of it as FFXIII, where even though the game is chapter based and you cannot return to previous areas, they are interconnected in the sense that you travel through the areas to get to the ones in the next chapter. The only difference here is that there are gates which allow you to teleport back and forth - just like Pulse in FFXIII.

At least, that's how I hope it's implemented.

jimmypython

duckroll said:
I think areas could actually be connected. It could be that in order to travel through time for a given area, you need to get to that area first and find the gate there. The Historia Crux could just be a sort of linked map menu to allow easy teleport between areas and timelines. Think of it as FFXIII, where even though the game is chapter based and you cannot return to previous areas, they are interconnected in the sense that you travel through the areas to get to the ones in the next chapter. The only difference here is that there are gates which allow you to teleport back and forth - just like Pulse in FFXIII.

yeah, you do need artifacts to unlock the gate before being able to use it....

well guys, whats the consensus? is this game buyable? I'm liking that the way they optioned more player control for the people in battle is by having a customizable monster, I really like what they had goign in ff 13.

Speaking of which, does anybody know what the 'support' thing is in the battle screen, where it looks like there are a series of monsters on the right side of the statuses on the bottom? Does that mean the monsters can be interchanged, or are they actually in battle or something?

neoism

CRYSTARIUM

In the original FFXIII, your characters had limits on how far they could advance in their Crystarium growth chart. The limits were increased as the story progressed. In XIII-2, there are no level limits. If you work at it, you can make yourself super powerful from the start.
2rpto5h.jpg

Rpgmonkey

Oh God yes, we can can set the map to be fixed.

The map in the original made me so mad, this game automatically earns a point for fixing that crap.

Famassu said:
Eh? That doesn't sound very likely. Don't these gates just take you through time in the place where you're at (and aren't they mostly for side-quest purposes)? That, to me, would suggest that there's at least some connectivity between places. Part of it might be like Final Fantasy X where some place is only accessible with an airship and you pick that place from the map, but there are still locations where you run through several different environments to maybe arrive at some city, where you can take some form of transportation to some other island/part of the world.
Demo spoilers
In the demo, Noel and Serah come through a gate and are on Coccon. So it seemed pretty clear that the gates take you through both time and space. The Bresha Ruins were the only environment the demo touched, but it seemed pretty self-contained.

CRYSTARIUM

In the original FFXIII, your characters had limits on how far they could advance in their Crystarium growth chart. The limits were increased as the story progressed. In XIII-2, there are no level limits. If you work at it, you can make yourself super powerful from the start.

VdNhR.png

I honestly cannot wait for this game.

Cornbread78

Th more I see of it, the more interested I am in seeing how the monsters being added into parties adds to the dynamic. At teh same time, will there be plenty of game time to play with 3 characters, or do they pretty much lock it in with two and a monster a majority of the time?

Reveirg

Judging by the pause menu, it seems you can save anywhere and can return back to the Historia Crux anytime, thus making it a form of quick travel. It seems XIII-2's catching up on what is becoming more and more like a standard in JRPGs, which is great.

Disappointed at no music/sound effects/voices volume controls in the settings, XIII's balance was alright but again, music wasn't quite loud enough.

Perfo

duckroll said:

I hope it is like this too. However various things confuse me, for example it could be possible for the Historia Crux to keep also track of the "story-branches" we created through choices (see Tactics Ogre LUCT), without the option to going back to the ones we refused to access (for example, we decided to kill that character in the story so a certain path/chapter is now closed to us, instead of Story A we're moving to Story B) and this poses some problem to the logic of the free-wandering just discussed in connection with the menu of the Historia Crux. Anyway, it's just speculations.

I guess we will have to wait for the japanese's release to really find out about all of this.

ScrabbleDude said:
The Bresha Ruins were the only environment the demo touched, but it seemed pretty self-contained.

Yeah that's the fact, Bresha Ruins seems a closed area in itself. It could be the DEMO of course made like that...

Perfo

Here we go again...

Online retailer Neowing has provided details on a second set of bonus download content for Final Fantasy XIII-2.

The retailers says that the game's theme song single CD will include an item code. The code can be used to download "Gift from the Songstress," a set that includes "Diva Mic" and "Diva Headphone" accessories. The site does not say what effect these will have on your characters when equipped.

The item code will be included with the limited edition of the PS3 theme song, Yakusoku no Basho. This is due for release on November 23. The code can be used with both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game.

The Xbox 360 version's theme song, New World, will be included in Charice's Infinity CD, which is due for release on October 5. Square Enix has not mentioned a download code for this.

- andriasang

duckroll said:
So basically, the DLC model for FFXIII-2 is based on the DLC model for Dissidia012. Not a bad approach I must say. :)
The dlc approch of dissidia 012 even had music to be unlocked by DLC , i think this approch was quite Bad ....
i don't have problem for costumes BUT giving dlc weapons is something that go bad quite easily ...

Perfo

R_thanatos said:
The dlc approch of dissidia 012 even had music to be unlocked by DLC ,

I don't think it was "unlocked" but rather "downloaded"...

Anyway, it's an approach that works with a beat em 'up game like Dissidia 012, can't see that happening with a full scale RPG like FFXIII-2. I prefer the approach of Bioware on this like I already said, it means same stuff as announced here for this game (weapons, armors ect.) plus more serious content coming later like new characters, missions ect. – and I really hope Square Enix is just waiting for the next year before announcing that these types of DLCs are indeed coming to FFXIII-2 too. If they are also developing FFXIII-3 like rumored, they could bridge the two titles easily with some downloadable episode for this chapter.

MechaX

duckroll said:
So basically, the DLC model for FFXIII-2 is based on the DLC model for Dissidia012. Not a bad approach I must say. :)

Eh. I wouldn't call downloading costumes (which unlike Dissidia, XIII-2 won't have loads of unused Amano art to utilize), music, and probably monsters for Paradigms for most likely overly inflated prices to be a good model. It's not Horse Armor, sure. But it's still a far cry from substantial DLC like Shivering Isles or something along those lines.

duckroll

MechaX said:
Eh. I wouldn't call downloading costumes (which unlike Dissidia, XIII-2 won't have loads of unused Amano art to utilize), music, and probably monsters for Paradigms for most likely overly inflated prices to be a good model. It's not Horse Armor, sure. But it's still a far cry from substantial DLC like Shivering Isles or something along those lines.

It's a good model for me because it means that the team is only focusing on pure fanservice for equipment/weapons which are essentially costumes and gimmicks. I like that crap. If I don't like what is being offered, I can ignore it because it doesn't add anything substantial to the game at all. If I like it, I'm willing to pay more for it because it's just fluff. Like buying cotton candy at a theme park. You know it's overpriced, but if you're having a good time, whatever! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom