• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Non-Linear Time Traveling, Sidequests, New Great Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toth

Kagari said:
By recycling locations and assets.

Not fully true. The battle system is essentially completed from 13 and the graphic engine is finally developed this time around, allowing easier creation of characters and monsters. This should speed up development time and let them focus on new environments.

ksamedi

Everything I hear about this game is sounding good. FFXII has a really great battle system only brought down by bad, story focused game design. All I was doing in FFXII was going from one cut scene to another. Even the leveling mechanic felt linear. If they fix that stuff than combined with an upgraded battle system this game will be incredible. The time traveling aspect sounds really nice. I can already feel that its going to be really addictive.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Toth said:
Not fully true. The battle system is essentially completed from 13 and the graphic engine is finally developed this time around, allowing easier creation of characters and monsters. This should speed up development time and let them focus on new environments.

Graphics look worse, imo. Image quality isn't that hot. If anything, the art direction itself is improved.
The battle system is the exact same with added monsters, so I really don't see your point. I was hoping for a bigger change like X to X-2 was.

We haven't really seen any new enemies yet either x_x

MechaX said:
There's hope in what we have been reading, but Crow can only be really served at the release of the actual game.

Words of truth, but I'll not be eating any crow either way, I never doubted XIII-2's potential for entertaining me at the very least. I enjoyed my time with XIII and generally like anything coming out of Square Japan.

neoism

lol at the haters at this point HOLY FUCKING SHIT :O
I looooooooooooved XIII though 2 fav FF ever...
But this

:O

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Kagari said:
By recycling locations and assets.

Isn't the same for the majority of sequels, included Mass Effect 2 and 3?
Considering this, less than two years of development coming from them... and we're speaking of Square Enix and all their messy management, seems surprisingly fast to me. Unless it turns out to be bugged as hell of course XD

Kagari said:

The little fliying robots in new Bodhum (and I've seen them somewhere else too... in valhalla I think) are new :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd say it's less "hating" and more skepticism. Given Square-Enix's output and execution of ideas on paper lately (and especially since Toriyama is in charge), I wouldn't blame people who are skeptical. I personally keep shifting between cautious optimism and skepticism.

I just remembered that this game still has Crystarium. Do we have any info on any changes to that at all?

LProtag

I'm getting a Radiant Historia vibe. Not really sure if it'll work that well for a Final Fantasy game. I dunno.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dark Schala said:
I'd say it's less "hating" and more skepticism. Given Square-Enix's output and execution of ideas on paper lately (and especially since Toriyama is in charge), I wouldn't blame people who are skeptical. I personally keep shifting between cautious optimism and skepticism.

I just remembered that this game still has Crystarium. Do we have any info on any changes to that at all?

Not yet.

duckroll

Kagari said:
Graphics look worse, imo. Image quality isn't that hot. If anything, the art direction itself is improved.
The battle system is the exact same with added monsters, so I really don't see your point. I was hoping for a bigger change like X to X-2 was.

I think that in many ways FFXIII-2 is more of a change from FFXIII than FFX-2 was a change from FFX. The major change in FFX-2 was that the battle system was completely different. Aside from that, it was a very, very cheap reuse of almost all the assets in FFX. Entire areas, towns, fields, dungeons, etc were reused with some minor touch-ups here and there. Pretty much all the monsters were reused.

The reason FFX-2 did that, was because the actual FFX battle system wasn't very well received, but fans were mostly receptive towards the general area design and the way the world looked. They felt there were no major changes they needed to make to the approach to the environment and art, but felt fans would appreciate a return to an ATB driven battle system. They were right.

With FFXIII-2, the approach is the reverse. The most universally praised component of FFXIII was the battle system and the approach to combat. Most fans who liked the game at all agree that the battle system is the strongest point. The level design, the linear narrative, and the way areas were basically just pretty corridors were not so well received. The lack of interactivity in the environments was also not well received. So instead of changing the battle system, they have basically changed the entire world. Areas are all brand new, and they're adding more layers to all environments for exploration and extra content.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rahxephon91 said:
Game looks more promising then Versus. Because it's real.

Versus is real too, it's just not going to be the focus until Type-0 and XIII-2 are out. Next year will (hopefully) be its time.

Shadow780

Rahxephon91 said:

uR4YL.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kagari said:
Probably around TGS or closer to launch then. I want to know if there are improvements to the level progression/ability gain system and weapon system (if any), personally.

Rahxephon91 said:
Ice cold.
KuGsj.gif

duckroll said:
I think that in many ways FFXIII-2 is more of a change from FFXIII than FFX-2 was a change from FFX. The major change in FFX-2 was that the battle system was completely different. Aside from that, it was a very, very cheap reuse of almost all the assets in FFX. Entire areas, towns, fields, dungeons, etc were reused with some minor touch-ups here and there. Pretty much all the monsters were reused.

The reason FFX-2 did that, was because the actual FFX battle system wasn't very well received, but fans were mostly receptive towards the general area design and the way the world looked. They felt there were no major changes they needed to make to the approach to the environment and art, but felt fans would appreciate a return to an ATB driven battle system. They were right.

With FFXIII-2, the approach is the reverse. The most universally praised component of FFXIII was the battle system and the approach to combat. Most fans who liked the game at all agree that the battle system is the strongest point. The level design, the linear narrative, and the way areas were basically just pretty corridors were not so well received. The lack of interactivity in the environments was also not well received. So instead of changing the battle system, they have basically changed the entire world. Areas are all brand new, and they're adding more layers to all environments for exploration and extra content.
I loved the CTB system and the ATB Kai system :( :( :(

Did people seriously not like the FFX battle system? I thought that it was generally very well-liked apart from the relatively rock-paper-scissors enemy design. If I saw a near-universal negative reaction to any component of FFX, it was toward the terrible quality of the minigames and the necessity of doing them in order to fully power your characters up - something that FFX-2 actually preserved.

badcrumble said:
I loved the CTB system and the ATB Kai system :( :( :(

Did people seriously not like the FFX battle system
? I thought that it was generally very well-liked apart from the relatively rock-paper-scissors enemy design. If I saw a near-universal negative reaction to any component of FFX, it was toward the terrible quality of the minigames and the necessity of doing them in order to fully power your characters up - something that FFX-2 actually preserved.

Plenty of my friends disliked the fact that you couldn't do what you wanted with your characters ... sure there was some customisation but some set of monster REQUIRED some characters ..it felt like they were limited ...

as for myself i didn't play FF10 a lot mostly because nothing appealed to me ( including early trailers ).. the only FF that had this effect on me beside ff2& ff1.

Toth

Kagari said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was getting at that since the Crystal Tools are finally completed, there should be no further wasted development time, hopefully freeing the team up to actually create a more full fledged game with more non-linearity.

Styles

toleoring said:
I've heard that there will be a new trailer at today's FF concert?

Yeah it was mentioned on the Distant Worlds website. Let us hope that it's new, and someone films it.

Kagari said:
Versus is real too, it's just not going to be the focus until Type-0 and XIII-2 are out. Next year will (hopefully) be its time.

You're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you talk like that. I'm pretty sure everyone was saying that this year was going to be Versus year, as well.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So whats the over/under that Noel is Serah/Snow's kid? It seems really obvious from a "of course thats what S-E is going to do" hackneyed storyplot. Other than that, looks good.

Chiave

I'm probably going to skip out on XIII-2. XIII's lore just doesn't click with me. I dig how summons are still transformers in the sequel though.

I'm no longer a fan of Nomura's artwork/his work in general. I used to be super excited for Versus but after playing BBS my interest was killed because I assumed that the story for Versus was going to be just as bad.

truly101 said:
So whats the over/under that Noel is Serah/Snow's kid? It seems really obvious from a "of course thats what S-E is going to do" hackneyed storyplot. Other than that, looks good.

Descendant possibly but the timeline doesn't fit him being their child. He's the last person alive so presumably that means he had to come from at least 300 years in the future, based on the Bresha Ruins 300AF screens.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KuwabaraTheMan said:
You're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you talk like that. I'm pretty sure everyone was saying that this year was going to be Versus year, as well.

Nomura has already said as of last month that they already have a date planned for the next reveal.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
truly101 said:
He's Marty McFly now?

So he's either:
-Trunks (came to deliver Snow/Lightning's heart medicine)
-Kyle Reese
-Marty McFly

Kagari said:
Nomura has already said as of last month that they already have a date planned for the next reveal.

It's going to be January isn't it? They are going to go a full year without any new media. It seems a very SE thing to do. They'll make a big deal about it being the anniversary of the last time they showed the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Die Squirrel Die said:
It's going to be January isn't it? They are going to go a full year without any new media. It seems a very SE thing to do. They'll make a big deal about it being the anniversary of the last time they showed the game.

Entirely possible.

Here's the exact quote:

“I’d like a chance to show everyone that development is coming along, but we have games like FINAL FANTASY Type-0 and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 that will be released first, and the company’s also telling me to keep project details secret for now. As a result, I apologize, but there won’t be any new screenshots or other media released to the public for a little while,”

As for the next time we will learn about FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII, Nomura says that the date has been set, but he declined to say when exactly that was. He apologizes for the extremely long wait that fans have had to endure, promising that the next update will come with some substantial information.

This kinda makes me want to finish FFXIII... My last save was like 10 hours in and I can't remember the combat system.

I dun wanna start over. :(

Chiave

Mechanized said:
This kinda makes me want to finish FFXIII... My last save was like 10 hours in and I can't remember the combat system.

I dun wanna start over. :(
Shouldn't be too hard. All I remember is

AUTO-ATTACK (maybe mix it up with AoE skills for groups)... wait for enemy to break.

SHIFT!

AUTO-ATTACK!

SHIFT BACK

repeat.

Is this feeling...hype?

Eh, it'll probably be another X-2. Fucking terrible characters/plot, fantastic gameplay.

I'm in either way. It's basically domestic abuse at this point. And I'll never stop coming back for more.

Twilight Princess said:
i didn't even know ffxiii-3 could possibly exist! lol and now it's coming true right before our eyes!

You see , this is why you have to be careful what you type/speak, you spoke a curse onto this world man, scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom