• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

I'm really on the fence for this. I've moved on from JPRGs a long time ago and these days I don't enjoy linear blockbuster experiences anymore but Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy after all. What should I do?

RPGCrazied

not really a deal, but if any of you are looking for an ok tv.. Its in the bestbuy ad

its a samsung 32" 720p, for like 450$.. you buy it, FF13 comes free with it. :p

DodgerSan said:
I'm in the same minority, loved them both :D

I've loved every FF game, some a lot more than others but I really haven't been disappointed by a main series game. If they were all the same, they wouldn't be as great. Even the titles I don't like as much still for the most part have the same production values as the other titles.

The American song has grown on me, mostly b/c I think it's a really good song.

Target offer is tempting but I think I'll just get it on Amazon and play it on Wednesday :lol

edit: I have Amazon Prime and release date delivery is free, AWESOMEEEEEE

<3 AMAZONNNNNNNNNNN

I kinda had it figured that (HUGE SPOILER)
Fang and Vanille are from Gran Pulse
but I was really surprised with how they handled this i.e. (HUGE SPOILER AGAIN)
they completed their Focus, went to sleep, and then bang - they woke up in Cocoon
. Good story twist there, Square-Enix. Maybe you're not as hopeless as I thought.

Einbroch

Banned
Expect a barrage of Final Fantasy XIII adverts tonight on ABC and ESPN. They're sponsoring the Lakers/Magic game tonight.

fatty

Oh crap, had no idea this was coming out this week! Thought I had at least a month to go. Guess this will officially be the first game this year that I buy at launch. (only other ones I see doing that to are SSF4 and SC2)

dramatis

Castor Krieg said:
I kinda had it figured that (HUGE SPOILER)
Fang and Vanille are from Gran Pulse
but I was really surprised with how they handled this i.e. (HUGE SPOILER AGAIN)
they completed their Focus, went to sleep, and then bang - they woke up in Cocoon
. Good story twist there, Square-Enix. Maybe you're not as hopeless as I thought.

You're kidding, right?

Jeels

edgefusion said:
Oh god, it feels like time has actually slowed down. I went to my local supermarket today in the hope they would have it (they broke the Bioshock 2 release date). I ended up coming home with a bunch of sweets and a pizza. Damn you impulse buys!

I know what you mean boss, tomorrow is going to be absolutely brutal.

deathberry

Neo Member
For those who've finished the game or gone past the
Palamecia (Airship)
part, any tips on defeating
Barthandelus
? Any help will be much
appreciated!

I keep on attacking one of it's
heads
but it just starts spamming this area wide flame/ electricity attack that leaves my party at 20% health.

I'm using Lightning/ Hope/ Vanille. All have HP over 1k and using Light as Commando, Hope as Ravager/ Medic and Vanille as Ravager/ Medic.

7Th

So, huh. There was one relatively major change in the American script, apparently. Lightning's real name is now
Claire instead of Eclair

Vanille

7Th said:
So, huh. There was one relatively major change in the American script, apparently. Lightning's real name is now
Claire instead of Eclair

No, you're kidding.

entrement said:
Anyone double dipping and getting both versions? I might just because I'm such an achievements whore.

one of them is in 720p... one of them isn't?

i love achievements / trophies... but not worth sitting through an inferior version of the game for?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
7Th said:
Claire instead of Eclair

The fuck.
Why would they do that...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
7Th said:
Claire instead of Eclair

I wanted Eclair, she doesn't look like a Claire to me.

Kagari said:
The fuck.
Why would they do that...

Not western enough.

hitsugi

DarkAngelYuna said:
$5 shipping without prime will get it to you on Tuesday also..

that's what I opted for.. to hear they're shipping it with 1 day shipping for $5 is impressive though. makes you wonder why it costs so much for anything else D:

either way, tuesday really can't get here soon enough

dramatis

deathberry said:
For those who've finished the game or gone past the
Palamecia (Airship)
part, any tips on defeating
Barthandelus
? Any help will be much
appreciated!

I keep on attacking one of it's
heads
but it just starts spamming this area wide flame/ electricity attack that leaves my party at 20% health.

I'm using Lightning/ Hope/ Vanille. All have HP over 1k and using Light as Commando, Hope as Ravager/ Medic and Vanille as Ravager/ Medic.

You need debuffing and buffing. Buffing will lessen damage and debuffing will help you deal more. (I can't remember the English names of the roles you need! D: ) If you plan on sticking with the party you have, have a Medic/Medic/Medic Paradigm for quick recovery. Check your accessories to see if you can equip stuff that increases magic defense. Sell your chips and level up your weapons, extra Attack/Magic helps.

If I remember correctly,
heads
on the left as you see it are fire/lightning,
heads
on the right are water/ice. Casting elemental magic on them will help (depending on which character you are using).

If you're ever at low health and no one is going to be fast enough to heal, either use a potion or bust out your summon (if your character has). Summon is easy heal for your characters.

Adamm

Anyone else in the UK pre-ordered from Play.com?

I never seem to have much luck with pre-orders as i always get them a few days after release :(

Says it shipped on friday 5th but im still worried i wont get it on time

ElyrionX said:
Read a few reviews. I'm buying it I guess. Though I have no idea where I'm going to find the time to play it.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I wasn't really hyped for this game at all, which is weird because I couldn't literally sleep before FFXII came out. But Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy. I've decided, after watching the GT review, what the heck. The only thing is I'm not buying day one. I'm saving this and DA: Awakenings until I get some decent free time. I really don't have the time to play these kinds of games these days without creating a huge backlog.

Adamm said:

I never seem to have much luck with pre-orders as i always get them a few days after release :(

the only online retailer in the UK that has been consistent at getting me games early is Game... unfortunately they are expensive though.

Adamm said:

They seemed alright to me but I haven't used them much. I know I've gotten stuff on the day of release when pre-ordering from them.

I've got mine pre-ordered from Game.co.uk so I know I'll have it tomorrow.

george_us

Tuesday can't come soon enough although I'll only have a day to play it before heading off to GDC. We got this then God of War 3 next Tuesday. What an amazing first quarter of gaming!

desu

7Th said:
Claire instead of Eclair

Hmpf, not really understanding why they changed this, as the original name was perfectly fine.

Jeels

dramatis said:
You're kidding, right?

oh no, how dare someone enjoy something you aren't.

I'm kind of happy about the name change, only because whenever someone would say it I'd always laugh because it reminded me of
food

D23

Lyonaz said:
My impressions so far.

Played about 6 hours, 4th chapter I think.

The voice-acting isn't that bad. I was a bit sceptical after seeing the trailers, but they are actually pretty decent. Although I hate Vanille's voice. Good god man.

The combat is just awesome. Sure it's limited in the beginning, but the further you progress the more options you get and then it's just awesome.
At the start it's just auto-battle and repeat. Way too easy, but then you get more enemies and some are tougher. Preemptive strikes really help during those.
Also the Paradigm Shifts work pretty well. Not to the mention the fights are all fast-paced, the way fights always should be in RPGs. =P
The combat makes this game already great in my eyes.

The CGI cutscene are all holy shit awesome. 1080p ftw!
Game looks amazing.

we need more post like this.. hype +1

Adamm said:

Play sent out my Bioshock 2 CE on the friday before and it arrived on the monday.

I've always gotten things early with play. but i guess it depends on how close you are to their warehouse in Jersey.

neoism

BocoDragon said:
I love the soundtrack.. I've spoiled myself silly on it, honestly.

I'd say that the orchestral-techno-vocal thing it does it "radical".. except I always thought that FF would go in that direction eventually anyway. FFX and X-2 hinted at certain electronic elements being meshed with orchestral and new agey music, so ten years down the line I fully expected FF to develop that further. Much praise to Hamauzu for realizing this!

Me too. I love it Been listening to it off and on for about two weeks!
Fav tracks
The Gapra Whitewood fucking love this track.. <3
Saber's Edge
Fang's Theme Definitely my favorite theme and my second favorite track on the OST
I love it over all, but FFXII's OST is my favorite of the series.. but it's also my favorite games of the series too.! :)

Alex

I like Sakimoto, but he never deviates from his norm. It's usually good BGM and little else, although there's always a couple of standouts. I appreciate his style, though, even if I don't reap many favorites from it.

I don't like Hamauzu, too much wispy, frilly, "atmospheric" fare. He's talented, but it's not what I want to listen to myself. I'm sure it suits FFXIII entirely, but that doesn't aid much when I also think the art direction in this looks lousy (on a non technical level)

Tanioka is the remaining Square composer I like the most. If they kept going with the newer age team in this style, I would like to hear her music in Final Fantasy. Any other team or classical styled though Uematsu, Uematsu, Uematsu.

deathberry

Neo Member
dramatis said:
You need debuffing and buffing. Buffing will lessen damage and debuffing will help you deal more. (I can't remember the English names of the roles you need! D: ) If you plan on sticking with the party you have, have a Medic/Medic/Medic Paradigm for quick recovery. Check your accessories to see if you can equip stuff that increases magic defense. Sell your chips and level up your weapons, extra Attack/Magic helps.

If I remember correctly,
heads
on the left as you see it are fire/lightning,
heads
on the right are water/ice. Casting elemental magic on them will help (depending on which character you are using).

If you're ever at low health and no one is going to be fast enough to heal, either use a potion or bust out your summon (if your character has). Summon is easy heal for your characters.

Good pointers there, but half way through the battle, after getting rid of the heads, he unleashes some ubercharged laz0r attack that just decimates my entire party which is at full health and all buffed!!!

WTF?!?!

K' Dash

chicken_ramen said:
The thing here though is that it's probably not necessary to min max to use the upgrade system effectively. I didn't follow any charts but I found that I was able to upgrade the right sorts of weapons well enough, by buying a different types of mechanical parts for points and natural components to get bonuses. The game explains enough to you for you to use the system to grow your character's stats in the direction you want. It's obviously mathematically exploitable, but exploiting it is not necessary to use the system to your advantage. I think this is probably one of the best weapon systems in a JRPG. It's very flexible.

Yes, if you wait till the end of the game to use it, you wont have any 'wastage' but there is, as far as I know, nothing to be worried wasting if you have any common sense. The best items are very obvious and good enough items are easily obtainable. Also - low levels are cheap and tooling around with upgrading the weapons is in no way going to hurt you. You will probably find weapons with extra bonuses later on that you will like but it shouldn't be too hard to switch around. It won't be optimally efficient, but as far as I know, optimum efficiency is not required.

To all this I want to say that 20 hours in, most of my characters still have their original weapon...

I'm trying to max out those and right now I don't have the need to change them, and I attack everything that moves :lol , I still keep the weapons I find in case I have to use/upgrade in the future.

I think the problem with this system is that I won't try to upgrade a new weapon cause I don't want to waste the materials and begin from level 1 having the other one at level 7, I don't know, maybe is just me being lazy.

3h in and enjoying it more than I though, but definetly the first 2h were a bit meh, because all you can do in combat in those 2h is attack attack and then some AoE attack....

I can see how this FF is probably the most story driven by far, with more emphasis on the characters even. Snow sucks....everytime he says the word "hero" I want to punch him in the face, I still need to make my judgement on the others....

music is pretty nice, and the graphics are the best in any JRPG by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom