• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 plans announced (PS3 in Q1 2013, Sub Fees Return This November)

Emitan

Alex said:
Beta is still being a bit kind, but I do def think it's moved up from pre-alpha to alpha now! They have a vague structure and a smidgen of content and actual game theory in place!

It's still too early, this must be such an enormous money sink for them and someone just wants some return on it and now. November is such a poor time to start this as well, I mean the time period in which TOR and WoW's massive 4.3 patch launches? And they're reyling on fumes of a fanbase and a Japanese audience without a console version?

Just seems silly to me.
TOR is in December. But yeah, this is kind of fucked. Why would someone pay for FFXIV's alpha when they can play WoW's huge patch or SWTOR instead?

suzu

That screenshot and the art looks really awesome, but I'm not going to pay for a subscription until then. Asking for a sub now is really weird...

Wow those PDFs at the bottom are fucking fantastic. They're really brutal about the issues in v1 on the Outline PDF.

FF14 team, I like your honesty.

If the guys in charge of it now are the ones that made Abyssea in FFXI then I have full confidence they can turn it around and make something that is fun (I just want XI-2 lol, I would have been happy with that). The game is already REALLY pretty, always was, just need it to be fun/playable.

Having said that, I've logged in like once or twice since the launch debacle and I just can't bring myself to care. Will not be giving them donations while they still work on it, my account will be stopped soon and I'll try again at PS3 launch like I always said I would.

duckroll

RomanticHeroX said:
Wait, 2.0 doesn't come for a year after subscriptions start? It's not going to survive that long, this move will just kill it.

Maybe that's their plan all along. They want to find a way to kill it, because they know they can never attain the quality of the concept!

Feep

Banned
As someone who loved FFXI, and quit FFXIV because it was fucking awful, this actually looks pretty good.

For those who can't see the PDFs

14ec64k.jpg

2gx302c.jpg

Am excite

Meanwhile FFXI is a pile of shit now because they're all working on XIV obviously. Yet after 8 years of playing I just can't bring myself to stop my account. :(

duckroll said:
Maybe that's their plan all along. They want to find a way to kill it, because they know they can never attain the quality of the concept!

I don't know if you're joking or not but that actually make some sense. Wouldn't be surprised if they did end up killing it sometime next year.

Thoraxes

Yeah, from Wada's message it sounded more like "We need your money now before we lose our second kidney and we die, but please keep playing."

To be fair to them, since Yoshida took over, you can feel the love coming from him and the newer team. He really seems to care and is a very nice man. He really wants the game to be the best that it can, and in his community involvement (as well as their CMs) you can tell they really care about a turn-around.

They also seem to be taking player feedback to heart, which the old team definitely did not give a shit at all. I'm hopeful, and though I still play, I probably will continue to just to see what crazy direction the game goes in next. It's been quite the ride, especially when every patch since Yoshida has been almost a whole new game.

kiryogi

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Yeah, from Wada's message it sounded more like "We need your money now before we lose our second kidney and we die, but please keep playing."

To be fair to them, since Yoshida took over, you can feel the love coming from him and the newer team. He really seems to care and is a very nice man. He really wants the game to be the best that it can, and in his community involvement (as well as their CMs) you can tell they really care about a turn-around.

They also seem to be taking player feedback to heart, which the old team definitely did not give a shit at all. I'm hopeful, and though I still play, I probably will continue to just to see what crazy direction the game goes in next. It's been quite the ride, especially when every patch since Yoshida has been almost a whole new game.

Yeah, I've been playing since 1.18 now, and every update is just outstanding. Yoshida's proven himself completely. And while it could be a lost cause, I will continue to support him.

Alex

1.37 billion of which will be spent on FFXIV before it is canceled!

Yeah, I've been playing since 1.18 now, and every update is just outstanding. Yoshida's proven himself completely. And while it could be a lost cause, I will continue to support him.

Jokes aside I think they'll at least wind up with a 2012 MMO equivalent to the quality they had in 2003 for FFXI, so they'll probably have a acceptable, cult project in the end. I do feel like it's such a waste to blow their big chance at this massive relaunch though. One in which they put novelty mustache on the box and call it Final Fantasy XV.

The work and outlining the team has put in is admirable, and honestly it's gone further than I figured it would, but the game was just so.... non-existant? at launch, they have so much more work to go. I'd love to hear a post mortem on this game some day, they could probably write an entire book about it.
which would go on to outsell the game

Anteater

Probably won't return to pay, I think I deleted my account along with the 15bucks of those crystal currency thing :lol

RuGalz

Always wanted to like the game so the news is kind of exciting. But the return of subscription fee is a bit too soon I think. The development schedule sounds a bit insane. There's no way they can make the dates. Oh well, I hope they make it. Will check out 2.0.

duckroll

You know, with both Minagawa and Yoshida working hard on FFXIV, and with all the effort and money and time going into remaking FFXIV into a successful product, it could well be that FFXIV 2.0 is the closest we will ever get to seeing what is essentially a FFXII MMO. I hope they actually get if off the ground eventually. I'll like to play it.

Seik

Banned
So in 1 year? Perfect!

It is the exact time I wanted to upgrade my rig! :D

I have hope, I can't believe they're putting all these efforts into it to be something bad in the end. I mean, if it does fail, WOW! What a fucking waste of time/work it would be!!! D:

Thoraxes

RuGalz said:
Always wanted to like the game so the news is kind of exciting. But the return of subscription fee is a bit too soon I think. The development schedule sounds a bit insane. There's no way they can make the dates. Oh well, I hope they make it. Will check out 2.0.
You'd be surprised. Some of the content we've gotten in patches are things that current MMOs get in whole expansions. The restructuring really worked wonders, and that team is definitely busting their asses to make all this work.

As for what duckroll said, yeah, I completely agree.
BKK said:
2013 for PS3 version? Better hope PS4 is BC then.
Don't worry, you'll be able to buy the HD HD-remake of the game.

markot

Banned
Why did they release it at all >_<? I just dont get it. Why shove a turd out the door? WHAT PURPOSE?! TURD NO BUY!

Riposte

duckroll said:
You know, with both Minagawa and Yoshida working hard on FFXIV, and with all the effort and money and time going into remaking FFXIV into a successful product, it could well be that FFXIV 2.0 is the closest we will ever get to seeing what is essentially a FFXII MMO. I hope they actually get if off the ground eventually. I'll like to play it.

As far as I am concerned, if they add a gambit system(controlled through macros) with NPC party members and a (optional, since people are wimps) level cap system to quests and missions, this will shoot up the list as one of my favorite Final Fantasys(it already is aesthetically). Doesn't seem to be a focus unfortunately, despite wanting to have a Final Fantasy-feel. The NPC party thing would be really good idea for long-term success though. Inviting to single-player centric Final Fantasy fans(create a 40 dollar value subscription pack to emulate a regular game purchase) and a mechanic which has never been done quite right in MMOs and would make it stand out. (Ideally small parties would mean players would still have to intermingle for endgame content.)

Pet chocobos fighting in battle at least show potential for the game to grow in that direction.

Card Boy

Banned
Why did they feel they needed to make an MMO out of this? Why not turn the game offline with 2 to 8 player online co-op like White Knight Chronicles.

mclem

So, I've looked through the roadmap, and one thing's bothering me:

What's actually *in* 2.0?

WoW uses its large version numbers for each expansion (1.0 was vanilla, 2.0 was The Burning Crusade, 3.0 was Wrath of the Lich King, 4.0 was Cataclysm), and each expansion in turn is used as a mini-relaunch - gear reset, more levels to push through, new ways to start a character.

Clearly FF14 2.0 is intended as a relaunch, that much is obvious - but what's the content to go with it? This *reads* like it's *just* a relaunch, without actually all that much difference from 1.23 to 2.0 - other than the influx of PS3 players.

Emitan

Gez said:
Why did they feel they needed to make an MMO out of this? Why not turn the game offline with 2 to 8 player online co-op like White Knight Chronicles.
because square is good at making bad decisions

Jonnyram

mclem said:
Clearly FF14 2.0 is intended as a relaunch, that much is obvious - but what's the content to go with it? This *reads* like it's *just* a relaunch, without actually all that much difference from 1.23 to 2.0 - other than the influx of PS3 players.
They are changing the existing maps by adding new features that will be tied into the story, and they are adding a new area. I'm sure more will come.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Why not:

• Rename Final Fantasy XIV "Final Fantasy MMO Test 02"
  • Rename Final Fantasy Versus XIII 'Final Fantasy XIV - We're sorry'
  • Pretend that the original FFXIV never happened.

snap0212

I don't think it's a smart thing to say "we need more time to meet the high standards" to then say "but you'll have to pay us soon". My hype for this game is completely gone. I have not played it because I was waiting for the PS3 version but I'm also kind of over the "I need to try a MMORPG"-thing. Would have bought a year ago, for sure. Late 2012 or early 2013? Not so much...

Riposte

Gez said:

There is a decent chance the Japanese will pay for this(at least after 2.0 lol). It doesn't seem to be a good idea at all to make a MMO with a monthly fee in the west. It is interesting that FFXI has managed to be both consistent and stable with a monthly fee though, to this very day(and it launched before WoW and all the "WoW Killers").

EDIT: Then again the Japanese would probably pay for something 2 to 8 player with online co-op lol.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I don't mind to pay.

I like the game, well it have this flags and missing the magic of XI.

The subscription come again with the release of jobs, and in February the private rooms (Inns).

Yeah with content they can fell the gap of time till next year.

hteng

Banned
ok this is confusing, why should we pay a subscription for a half finished game. also we have to wait at least a year to even get to 2.00

and we don't even know if 2.00 can be delivered on time, this is just a roadmap, it doesn't mean shit, anything can change in along the way.

this really feels like we are helping them designing the game + paying for them as well. I mean if bandwidth is too much of a concern then might as well shut down the current servers, put the game on indefinite hold and focus on beta testing on a selected group of players.

do a complete relaunch, market it to newer players, dont expect to get back early adapters.

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
They are changing the existing maps by adding new features that will be tied into the story, and they are adding a new area. I'm sure more will come.

What's been great is how they've been doing this with current XIV too. They've explained all the mob and system changes all with story explanations. I cannot wait until August to see what leads up to this new Eorzea.

hteng said:
ok this is confusing, why should we pay a subscription for a half finished game. also we have to wait at least a year to even get to 2.00

and we don't even know if 2.00 can be delivered on time, this is just a roadmap, it doesn't mean shit, anything can change in along the way.

this really feels like we are helping them designing the game + paying for them as well. I mean if bandwidth is too much of a concern then might as well shut down the current servers, put the game on indefinite hold and focus on beta testing on a selected group of players.

do a complete relaunch, market it to newer players, dont expect to get back early adapters.

So far they've been following the roadmap pretty well. We're well on our way to 1.20 next month.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They have fucked this so massively that its hard to even comprehend. The sheer marketing disaster of having to brand something a 2.0 version to bring people onboard is one thing, to then reveal it won't reach that level until like the end of 2012 is even more hilarious. The message just seems so clear: "if you want the complete game we're making, wait until like 2013".

I don't know whether to admire their stubbornness on not cutting their losses or chew them out for wasting resources on this shit and not just making something new.

Shouta

Gez said:

Because they wanted to emulate FFXI's stable success. FFXI is/was a huge source of stable income for them and having a second MMO to do that would allow them to continue doing what they wanted despite sales dropping over in comparison to 2 generations ago or even last generation.

Unfortunately, they had Tanaka working on XIV which basically meant they were doing minimum work and maximizing the booze and hookers.

Buttons

I am really excited for this. The 1.19 patch has been amazing and now I have been having so much fun. It is so exciting to see all the artwork and changes coming in the future.

hteng

Banned
kiryogi said:
So far they've been following the roadmap pretty well. We're well on our way to 1.20 next month.

anything can happen in a span of 1 year, i'm not saying they won't try to stay on schedule but i'm crossing my fingers they can deliver 2.0 early 2013.

roadmaps, almost no one keeps to it.

what really ticked me off was the subscription, the game while has been improved alot still does not perform on par with current expectations. If possible i'll most likely freeze my account when subscription starts, if not possible then i'll just give up the game all togather.

Top Bottom