• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 plans announced (PS3 in Q1 2013, Sub Fees Return This November)

Jira

I admire them for wanting to relaunch the game, but MMOs don't get second chances. Initial impressions make a lasting impression on the game as a whole, word of mouth spreads and that word of mouth becomes ingrained and synonymous with the MMO in question. FFXIV being the worst offender in the history of big MMOs.

Thoraxes

hteng said:
anything can happen in a span of 1 year, i'm not saying they won't try to stay on schedule but i'm crossing my fingers they can deliver 2.0 early 2013.

roadmaps, almost no one keeps to it.

what really ticked me off was the subscription, the game while has been improved alot still does not perform on par with current expectations. If possible i'll most likely freeze my account when subscription starts, if not possible then i'll just give up the game all togather.
Sidenote to your points:
They said they're actually going to suspend auto-renewal on the site.
If you want to keep playing you'll have to choose to restart your sub when they introduce the sub fees.
I believe I read it correctly.

squall211

Looks promising. I might give it a try when 2.0 is finished, but I'm not going to pay to play a game still in beta for a year prior.

Riposte

Jira said:
I admire them for wanting to relaunch the game, but MMOs don't get second chances. Initial impressions make a lasting impression on the game as a whole, word of mouth spreads and that word of mouth becomes ingrained and synonymous with the MMO in question. FFXIV being the worst offender in the history of big MMOs.

Rarely do MMOs perform relaunches on this scale.

Jonnyram

I'm not gonna touch this until 2.0 comes to PS3, and I'm currently thinking of reclaiming that Bootcamp partition on my Mac that I setup for this.

hteng

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Sidenote to your points:
They said they're actually going to suspend auto-renewal on the site.
If you want to keep playing you'll have to choose to restart your sub when they introduce the sub fees.
I believe I read it correctly.

ok that's cool, thanks for the info. I play the game on and off when i'm bored, so i guess as long as i don't play it during the subscription they would still keep my account, characters and not suddenly start charging. Also, i remember they used some really weird online charging site that was used for online gambling, that sort of thing, can't even remember my login for that lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
mybodyisready.jpg

Although I understand the decision to start billing for the game, as they have to somehow make money, I think they've chosen a weird moment for that - I guess it'll be around 1.20, but many players will probably want to wait until the 2.0 version.

hteng

Banned
Keiician said:
mybodyisready.jpg

Although I understand the decision to start billing for the game, as they have to somehow make money, I think they've chosen a weird moment for that - I guess it'll be around 1.20, but many players will probably want to wait until the 2.0 version.

then they would say subscription was not enough to maintain the servers, proceed to shut them down until 2.0 beta.

placing blame on players for the shutdown then act like they did nothing wrong.

mclem

One other thing does strike me, having thought further: PS3 in 2013? Isn't that... not a good time to release a game that's going to be reliant on a long-term stable platform?

Let's hope Sony stick with backwards compatability this time! At least it should be easier than PS2-on-PS3 was.

Tizoc

Yoshichan said:
The damage has been done. Thou can not heal thy wounds.
Hey they made FF11 good in the end, they can do the same here, and hopefully earlier than FF11.
My brother has FF14 for PC, but I didn't bother to play it, I'm not a huge fan of MMO ^_^;

Why charge for submissions before 2.0 if they basically admit the game is incomplete at the moment?

I sure won't be paying for it in this state.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
hteng said:
then they would say subscription was not enough to maintain the servers, proceed to shut them down until 2.0 beta.

placing blame on players for the shutdown then act like they did nothing wrong.
Shutting down the servers until 2.0 would make them lose more players than starting subscriptions again will, or so I think.

Anyway, according to this:
egXjG.jpg

The 2.0 for the PC will be out sometime in November if I read this right. Post-January is only (in case of PC) for the new version retail distribution.

Acosta

Jira said:

To be honest, FF XIV is now uncharted territory. There is no precedence for this situation. I have my doubts this will work out of course, but the efforts of Yoshida has been really, really remarkable.

I have been lurking for some time the FFXIV thread and considering to give it a try. I was really hyped for it pre-launch but I had to hold out reading the apocalyptic beta impressions.

I may consider subscribing a few months to check it out and then wait until 2.0. So at least all that effort has served to keep me interested in the game.

Cmagus

should still be free and use this time to test things out.This will be the final nail in the coffin.There isn't many playing now and I guarantee you as soon as subs go up 3/4 of those people are gone.This should be free till 2.0 to iron things out then re-roll at 2.0 and start fresh.

markot

Banned
They wanted a Wow, they publically said that a few times.

They wanted the security that a huge mmo provides. Every pub does these days, its why Activision sold itself to Vivendi pretty much!

kiryogi

Banned
shuyin_ said:
So they admit it was a disaster and yet keep pumping money into it? Who takes these stupid decisions?

See what Shouta said here:

Shouta said:
Because they wanted to emulate FFXI's stable success. FFXI is/was a huge source of stable income for them and having a second MMO to do that would allow them to continue doing what they wanted despite sales dropping over in comparison to 2 generations ago or even last generation.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
shuyin_ said:
So they admit it was a disaster and yet keep pumping money into it? Who takes these stupid decisions?

Wada.

Pooya

why they are even running the game if they can't afford it, shut it down, start a closed beta for feedback until you have 2.0 ready for beta, then start public beta.

Thoraxes

miladesn said:
why they are even running the game if they can't afford it, shut it down, start a closed beta for feedback until you have 2.0 ready for beta, then start public beta.
I'm still just trying to figure out how the playerbase is going to respond to it.
I hope the populations don't drop too much, because with the introductions of a sub fee, the amount of people is probably going to drop pretty heavily.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Thoraxes said:
I'm still just trying to figure out how the playerbase is going to respond to it.
I hope the populations don't drop too much, because with the introductions of a sub fee, the amount of people is probably going to drop pretty heavily.

That's the fear i have.

rockx4

1.2 better be awesome in Nov\Dec when sub fees restart... or else the game will suffer a second death, and I don't think it could survive that until 2.0.

Waiting on the 1.2 notes before I decide to sub or not.

kiryogi

Banned
Thoraxes said:

Seems to be the echoing sentiment that they should wait until 1.21 to restart subs (IE new jobs) And that's probably what the community will express. Will be interesting to see if Yoshida will respond to it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They should have been putting their efforts towards making this game F2P after all this time.

Riposte

Cmagus said:
should still be free and use this time to test things out.This will be the final nail in the coffin.There isn't many playing now and I guarantee you as soon as subs go up 3/4 of those people are gone.This should be free till 2.0 to iron things out then re-roll at 2.0 and start fresh.

So you think people won't quit if you take away their character?

Thoraxes

kiryogi said:
Seems to be the echoing sentiment that they should wait until 1.21 to restart subs (IE new jobs) And that's probably what the community will express. Will be interesting to see if Yoshida will respond to it.
If they stay true to the roadmap they published, I can see them timing it with the release of 1.21 in early December despite Wada's comments to reinstate late Nov.- early Dec.

Everything would just work out way better that way.

Also to the other guy, there's no way they'll re-roll everything. Yoshida has been asked a lot about this, and said that he will pretty much do everything he can to make that not happen. He said that characters that the players make are important parts of them and their investment in the game, and pretty much deleting them to make you start all over would be a slap in the face to what he wants to bring to the game and to his own design philosophy.

Pooya

Thoraxes said:
The user base is already very small, maybe 10-20k stick around for sub fees at best (10k-20k is probably overestimated..) , they are not going to make much money from these people, surely Square Enix can afford a few million dollars for a year... this just further ruins the game's reputation and nothing else.

Card Boy

Banned
If 2.0 came out tomorrow i doubt it will save them, the games reputation is in tatters. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

I know alot of you guys don't care about Metacritic, but alot of people see that 49 and will ignore the game altogether. I assume the only reason people are playing is because its been free up until this point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kintaro said:
They should have been putting their efforts towards making this game F2P after all this time.
This is Square Enix. They need to fail several times before learning.

So, if adding a subscription fee to a self admittedly unfinished game at the same time as SWTOR's release and the start of Guild Wars 2's beta somehow has a notable negative effect on their active player base, they may end up reconsidered in 1-2 years.

Riposte

Gez said:
If 2.0 came out tomorrow i doubt it will save them, the games reputation is in tatters. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

I know alot of you guys don't care about Metacritic, but alot of people see that 49 and will ignore the game altogether. I assume the only reason people are playing is because its been free up until this point.

It would probably a good idea if they found a method to get the game re-reviewed on a large scale. Though I think you might be overstating the importance of metacritic.

Cmagus

Riposte said:
So you think people won't quit if you take away their character?

I didn't say anything about taking the character away but I think relaunching with everyone at the same level would be good.No reason why you can't keep your loot.If it continues this way with new content trickling in what fun is it going to be already new content comes out and everyone blows through it in a week.

Thoraxes

Riposte said:
It would probably a good idea if they found a method to get the game re-reviewed on a large scale. Though I think you might be overstating the importance of metacritic.
I think the proposed re-launch trailer they mentioned in there that they'll be doing at E3 will definitely help with that.

I think when the rebranded 2.0 client is released, and the PC and PS3 version get new boxes to be shipped to retail, they'll get a solid boon from that.

The PS3 version alone is going to merit reviews from many sites.

Riposte

Cmagus said:
I didn't say anything about taking the character away but I think relaunching with everyone at the same level would be good.No reason why you can't keep your loot.If it continues this way with new content trickling in what fun is it going to be already new content comes out and everyone blows through it in a week.

I just find it funny when you criticize SE for methods that will scare away players and yet say crap like deleveling characters. Try and understand how crazy that would be.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nirolak said:
Can't... stop... laughing...

Yep, as soon as that subscribe fee pops up, I feel they're going to lose some players. Not ALL of them, of course, but it's going to get another drop because the game still doesn't sound ready for launch. The revamp is nice and a step in the right direction but it still doesn't seem to fix some issues that are there.

jiggle

so they are going to merge all servers into 1 single large one?

time to delete all my useless mules
will probably get rid of the one on gaf server too if they're gonna merge them all anyway

the timing is kinda weird
i was expecting it to happen soon
but looking at their timeline
next february soon
to coincide with the introduction of new jobs

Seventh

Having people pay to test the game for an entire year seems like a really bad idea if they want the game to maintain any momentum and have a healthy playerbase. Not that it has much of either at the moment. However it's still better than what it will be once the subscriptions start. If they're really that low on cash, they should just implement a cosmetic-items-only cash shop, then in a year decide if they still want to add a subscription fee or if they should just continue using micro-transactions.

Also, it's too bad that you can't check a server's population anymore. It would be really interesting to see a before and after count for when the subscription fee goes into effect.

I bet a large portion of the people still playing only do so because the game is free. If I recall correctly, the last 2 times they announced the introduction of the subscription fee, they ended up extending the free trial at the last minute. I wonder if they'll do the same thing again if there's a large enough drop in the population. Or maybe they'll just use it as an excuse to cancel the game, who knows.

Anteater

Seventh said:
Having people pay to test the game for an entire year seems like a really bad idea if they want the game to maintain any momentum and have a healthy playerbase. If they're really that low on cash, they should just implement a cosmetic-items-only cash shop, then in a year decide if they still want to add a subscription fee or if they should just continue using micro-transactions.

Also, it's too bad that you can't check a server's population anymore. It would be really interesting to see a before and after count for when the subscription fee goes into effect.

I bet a large portion of the people still playing only do so because the game is free. If I recall correctly, the last 2 times they announced the introduction of the subscription fee, they ended up extending the free trial at the last minute. I wonder if they'll do the same thing again if there's a large enough drop in the population. Or maybe they'll just use it as an excuse to cancel the game, who knows.

Yea, that's one thing that might hurt them, one of my friend started playing this recently and he seem to quite enjoy the changes and had pretty positive feedbacks (so did the people on gaf), they should keep it free for a little longer and hold the momentum and let the words spread on how good the game is becoming.

Is there anyone who plays this still here?

Are the menus less cumbersome/faster to navigate?
Just wondering if i should reinstall it is all.

sublimit

Banned
Perfo said:
That's because Square Enix is speaking about the Fiscal Year, that is 'till March 2013. On the last months of 2012 they will launch a beta on Ps3, followed by the real launch few months later.

Thoraxes said:
I'll change it in the post to specify it's the closed beta, and not the full game. Yes, full PS3 version is indeed 2013.
Ah,ok thanks.

kiryogi

Banned
The_Endgamer said:
Is there anyone who plays this still here?

Are the menus less cumbersome/faster to navigate?
Just wondering if i should reinstall it is all.
Yes, see the community thread, we still got a decent LS going for GAF players.

Menus still about the same, but there are a lot of new helpful info tweaks. Plus they added a neat new mini menu that you access via the emote button. Lets you access Chocobo, emotes, food sack, main menu, and macro lock.

Top Bottom