• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Gamescom Media

Teknoman

You guys have no idea how much of a mindshock seeing characters jump over boundaries is. This is going to be great, especially if they design some of the new dungeons with jumping in mind.

I dunno if its smaller in scale, or just the areas are more diverse, and they dont have similar areas stretching out for miles and miles. Either way, Black Shroud looks really nice, and it seems like they changed the battle theme to the standard dungeon battle theme? Kind of grinned watching Yoshi move all the windows around. I really hope they let us change the default chocobo theme to the western style chocobo theme that they gave the rentals.

Also I hope they show off the controller focused version of the UI, unless that hasnt really changed much.

Ezio

So I keep seeing people talking about Legacy, what does this mean and can you still get it? Also, thinking about grabbing this game, anyone know of a place that has a DD on the cheapish?

Cetra

So I keep seeing people talking about Legacy, what does this mean and can you still get it? Also, thinking about grabbing this game, anyone know of a place that has a DD on the cheapish?

Accounts can no longer gain legacy status.

You can download it from Amazon. IIRC it's 19.99 or lower. I've personally seen it on sale for 8 buck at times.

Legacy is a reward distintion for people that played for 3 months until some specified date (june or so...) so you can't get it anymore.

The rewards were some exclusive chocobo mount, and pay 10€/$ instead of 13. (and something more that I forgot)

Also you can get the game in Amazon, I saw the game in some stores in my country for 9€ but I don't know for America.

This is all looking so very nice. I should make a lot of people that have been dying for a FF XII styled game happy on an aesthetic level.

Personally I got frustrated and quit FF XIV every time I tried to play it. Trying to follow what was updated and changed between updates felt like a frustration within itself so I just kind of gave up. To start an entirely new character from scratch in 2.0 feels like the best way to go about things for me as a gamer. The original XIV always felt like it carried the stigma of the horrific launch.

Ezio

Thanks for the quick response guys. I see it on Amazon, but it says the download is currently unavailable :( Not available on Steam?

Darryl

Banned
Can't find a digital copy anywhere right now. I wonder if they stopped selling them?

Maybe they're trying to clear out all of these $15 physical copies lying around.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Does Realm Reborn get rid of the need to buy licenses for each character you play? When I played FFXIV when it first came out, there seemed to be hidden fees all over the place.

ZetaEpyon

Does Realm Reborn get rid of the need to buy licenses for each character you play? When I played FFXIV when it first came out, there seemed to be hidden fees all over the place.

There will be two options.

Entry: £7.69 / 10.99€, 1 character per world, max total 8
Standard: 8.99 / 12.99€, 8 characters per world, max total 40.

Catching up with Yoshida for a presentation and some questions tomorrow. Any question suggestions welcome, though do keep in mind between Kagari and I we've interviewed him 4 times already - maybe check those out to make sure your query hasn't been previously covered. [1 2 3 4]

If there's anything particular you want me to watch out for in the presentation I'll keep checking this thread, also.

Kuro268

Neo Member
I'd ask about Direct X10/11 support with the new client. If it it's still in the pipeline for the game which is currently still on Direct X9.0c.

Sora_N

Can't find a digital copy anywhere right now. I wonder if they stopped selling them?

Maybe they're trying to clear out all of these $15 physical copies lying around.

What the fuck? I was about to buy a DD copy yesterday, now it's gone on Amazon. That's so weird, I must have jinxed it by not buying yesterday.

Ravidrath

Catching up with Yoshida for a presentation and some questions tomorrow. Any question suggestions welcome, though do keep in mind between Kagari and I we've interviewed him 4 times already - maybe check those out to make sure your query hasn't been previously covered. [1 2 3 4]

If there's anything particular you want me to watch out for in the presentation I'll keep checking this thread, also.

1. Can he please clarify the timeline for beta, actual release, etc.?

2. Can he talk about new classes/jobs? Specifically, can he talk about the previously misreported Summoning system, how this would affect a dedicated Summoner class, and the mysterious inclusion of Cait Sith and Fenrir in the last batch of concept art?

3. When new classes/jobs are added, will they be as "complete" as the current class/jobs? What I mean by this is will they have AF, Relics, Primal weapons, etc. from the get-go? This stuff took WAY too long to get going in XI, and there were some pretty bad omissions, like never putting SCH and DNC on the Salvage gear.

4. Will Ishgard be available at the launch of 2.0?

Looks amazing, and I'm tempted to bite. I doubt we'll ever see a job like PUP again (the only job I really like in FFXI), but I'll bite on DRG!

Damn SE may have me running XI and XIV, assuming Seekers is a decent expansion.

Questions:

1. Can you tell us more about Limits? Are they limited to certain jobs? Do they work like Skillchains in FF XI?

2. In the gameply showed, seems like skills works different from the current version, like TP cost and skill cooldowns. It was just for the presentation or we can expect changed mechanics in A Realm Reborn?

Sora_N

Brand new physical copies are $12 shipped on ebay, I grabbed one and am just going to rip an ISO for my laptop.

I couldn't find any, I'm in Canada anyways. I wanted the DD one because I really just want the key + game. Who knew waiting that ONE day would mean I can't get it anymore, ugh.

Ravidrath

Questions:

1. Can you tell us more about Limits? Are they limited to certain jobs? Do they work like Skillchains in FF XI?

2. In the gameply showed, seems like skills works different from the current version, like TP cost and skill cooldowns. It was just for the presentation or we can expect changed mechanics in A Realm Reborn?

From the video, it seems like each class will have a "Limit Break" - perhaps this is what's replacing the Battle Regimens?

My guess would be that there's some kind of meter the party builds up together, and then one person can consume it to unleash a specific skill. In this case, it was the BLM's Meteor.

LuuKyK

Even my new PC won't be able to run this at full I think lol, so yeah I really antecipate the PS3 version. WHERE IS IT SQUARE? -__-'

Teknoman

1. Beta time frame clarification.
2. Are any of the new dungeons designed specifically with the ability to jump in mind?
3. A bit of a misc. question, but will we have the ability to choose between the different chocobos themes?

Even my new PC won't be able to run this at full I think lol, so yeah I really antecipate the PS3 version. WHERE IS IT SQUARE? -__-'

The new engine is supposed to perform much better than the current.

Ravidrath

The basic specs for 2.0 will be lower than the current game, so don't worry about that.

XIV 1.0 basically had no support to scale with hardware - you needed a beefier-than-average machine to do ANYTHING in it, and the number of on-screen characters was hard-limited to 40 no matter how powerful your system was.

In 2.0's new engine, the basic specs are lower, and the number of on-screen characters scales with your specs.

From the video, it seems like each class will have a "Limit Break" - perhaps this is what's replacing the Battle Regimens?

My guess would be that there's some kind of meter the party builds up together, and then one person can consume it to unleash a specific skill. In this case, it was the BLM's Meteor.

I was expecting something that requires more coordination that just filling up a bar. Like doing certain combos/weapon skills in some order and timing.

I wonder if there's some positioning needed. In the video was probably just used because it looks nice but it would be cool if wasn't soo. Now that seems moving and targeting is way better on battles something that breaks a bit the static battles would be nice.

Teknoman

I was expecting something that requires more coordination that just filling up a bar. Like doing certain combos/weapon skills in some order and timing.

I wonder if there's some positioning needed. In the video was probably just used because it looks nice but it would be cool if wasn't soo. Now that seems moving and targeting is way better on battles something that breaks a bit the static battles would be nice.

Well considering the current solo combos require different positions for optimal effect, i'm sure the group will too.

By the way, glad the dragon looks like something straight out of early FF.

Raoh

Global servers. You will play with JP and ENG speakers. Also there's a built in auto translate tool to make things easier when you play with JP ppl (for example).

Indeed. Nothing like playing with the japanese players at 3AM NYC time. As long as you could use auto translate and general knowledge of in game terms/strategies you could play with anyone.

The best/oddest thing about playing with the japanese community was the difference in how they handled job and sub job classes. They had me tanking as a Dark Knight/White Mage in crawlers nest.

I also found the japanese community to be more friendly and open to to pick up groups and non (so called) standard party make ups.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn it I don't think I will be joining in on the 2.0 fun. I thought I only had to pay for the 90 day subscription sometime before September. I had no idea that they removed the 90 day option some months ago. Not being able to be a Legacy member makes me not really want to play =(

I really want to hear where itemization is going in 2.0 re: crafting and materia melds. We seem to have a patchwork solution right now that probably won't endure long-term.

I also want to hear more about content in general for gathering/crafting classes, and how the act of gathering/crafting may/will change.

I especially want to hear about how they plan to combat RMT and the hordes of Azxsdf Dsdad characters being made to presumably hit the economy with the force of a nuke when 2.0 launches.

Indeed. Nothing like playing with the japanese players at 3AM NYC time. As long as you could use auto translate and general knowledge of in game terms/strategies you could play with anyone.

The best/oddest thing about playing with the japanese community was the difference in how they handled job and sub job classes. They had me tanking as a Dark Knight/White Mage in crawlers nest.

I also found the japanese community to be more friendly and open to to pick up groups and non (so called) standard party make ups.

I know it's a broad generalization, but those moments when you'd end up as the only english-speaker in a Japanese party, and they were all super polite and encouraging...so endearing. >_<

If A Realm Reborn captures even a fraction of the sense of adventure and companionship that FFXI provided...it'll be one of my favourite games of all time. That's such a big if, though. I really don't think it's possible in a modern MMO.

Regarding Japanese parties/pick-up groups: the thing about them is that they would like to start the party in town and go out to camp together, and would prefer to end a party if anyone had to leave at some point. They typically didn't like to replace players in a party, and would disband if someone had to leave, return to town, and re-build the party from there even if 4 or 5 of them were re-joining to go out again. I think that was just general party etiquette for them, but maybe someone who partied more with Japanese players could offer more insight. It also seemed to me that they were willing to invite anyone for the party and make it work - not just stick with the most optimal job makeup. It usually led to some challenging but really fun times. A lot of people gave JP players shit for the whole "JP only" thing, but I think it was more that western players didn't really understand the Japanese party etiquette and they didn't want to bother with the disconnect. In my experience, if you could show that you were willing to do it their way and actually tried to communicate, then they were more than willing to play together and didn't really care about the culture gap.

Damn, this thread is really giving me some nostalgia flashbacks. I love FFXI ;_;

Salaadin

I know it's a broad generalization, but those moments when you'd end up as the only english-speaker in a Japanese party, and they were all super polite and encouraging...so endearing. >_<

If A Realm Reborn captures even a fraction of the sense of adventure and companionship that FFXI provided...it'll be one of my favourite games of all time. That's such a big if, though.

Some of my best pick up parties in FFXI were JP parties. They were always nice as long as you took the extra minute or two to use auto translate and communicate. I loved them.
They were always interesting parties too. Odd, non traditional setups that just seemed to work and often worked better than the popular setup at the time.

Some of my best pick up parties in FFXI were JP parties. They were always nice as long as you took the extra minute or two to use auto translate and communicate. I loved them.
They were always interesting parties too. Odd, non traditional setups that just seemed to work and often worked better than the popular setup at the time.

Definitely. There was just this indescribable magic to it. Not just with Japanese parties, but it was amazing to me that I could feel this connection to the rest of my party and enjoy my time with them so much even if I didn't speak their language. And we could still effectively communicate and play together using the auto-translate tool, and have fun doing it. Everyone would put in 110% effort and be genuinely excited to be playing together.

No other game has ever come close to giving me that feeling, especially not modern MMOs which tend to shun larger party-play with randoms and player-driven community building.

Raoh

The game world looks insane..

Indeed, and all I really wanted was a better developed FFXI with graphics that look like 2.0

SE could have had every FFXI gamer migrate to FFXIV.

I have to really bookmark and save all this info to go through. I really miss the sub job system and actually was hoping they would create a third level job system.

Zomba13

I really need to get my FFXIV ass into gear and level up and do some story stuff.
I'm hitting the point where leve quests are boring me again. I want to party but there is never anyone shouting for my level range (I'm 37) apart from one time where they just wanted healers =/

I really want to finish 1.0 story stuff.

Teknoman

I really need to get my FFXIV ass into gear and level up and do some story stuff.
I'm hitting the point where leve quests are boring me again. I want to party but there is never anyone shouting for my level range (I'm 37) apart from one time where they just wanted healers =/

I really want to finish 1.0 story stuff.

I need to check my warrior's level. I'm in the same situation as you...well almost at least.

Definitely. There was just this indescribable magic to it. Not just with Japanese parties, but it was amazing to me that I could feel this connection to the rest of my party and enjoy my time with them so much even if I didn't speak their language. And we could still effectively communicate and play together using the auto-translate tool, and have fun doing it. Everyone would put in 110% effort and be genuinely excited to be playing together.

No other game has ever come close to giving me that feeling, especially not modern MMOs which tend to shun larger party-play with randoms and player-driven community building.

Agreed.

SOLDIER

How streamlined is the game going to be?

Making the game prettier and tossing in a ridiculous amount of UI options is fine and all, but one of WoW's most insurmountable features was how quickly you could pick it up and play it.

Lots of people are talking about this being a proper successor to FFXI. Personally, I don't have it in me to walk 20 minutes in town to open up a new quest, then travel to the required destination and wait X amount of time for my party to assemble.

In WoW if you wanted to just party up quickly in a dungeon, you could do so in a few clicks. Bam, you're instantly matched up and teleported to the location.

Also, there should never, ever be a limit to how many times you can fast travel.

I'm so tired of MMORPGs making ludicrously huge worlds and quest farming just to get people to play longer in order to achieve minimal results. I want to know if any thought has been put to making FFXIV 2.0 an experience where you can reap rewards every time you jump in, even if it's just for half an hour or so.

Top Bottom