• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Gamescom Media

Ok so i got to lvl 30 before legacy ended and i qualified for legacy as well, i remember hearing i get something cool in 2.0 for that?
Also have there been any more classes anounced yet? I know there was some speculation on that.

You'll get an exclusive chocobo.

jiggle

meteor :O

did i see limit break?

new lighting/shadow looks so much more dynamic
i know i'll hate it when i play though

I'm clueless about this game, are there Summoners in
it?

not yet
but don't expect to summon awesome stuffs, only 1 per company per week or something like that

hteng

Banned
Ok so i got to lvl 30 before legacy ended and i qualified for legacy as well, i remember hearing i get something cool in 2.0 for that?
Also have there been any more classes anounced yet? I know there was some speculation on that.

you get something that'll distinguish you as a legacy player from the 2.0 new players. and a unique legacy armor for your chocobo mount

I'm clueless about this game, are there Summoners in it?

no summoners yet, but you can capture primals (summons) as a free company group and use them on events.

CREMSteve

you get something that'll distinguish you as a legacy player from the 2.0 new players. and a unique legacy armor for your chocobo mount

no summoners yet, but you can capture primals (summons) as a free company group and use them on events.

So summons roam freely around the landscape? Like a Beastmaster would Charm a pet?

When I left FFXI, I had SMN75 BST75 BLM75 BLU75 and the SMN and BST jobs were by far my most enjoyable. I'd hope for something similar to them if I were to get pulled into this again...

jiggle

So summons roam freely around the landscape? Like a Beastmaster would Charm a pet?

no they are instanced fights that you click and trigger

When I left FFXI, I had SMN75 BST75 BLM75 BLU75 and the SMN and BST jobs were by far my most enjoyable. I'd hope for something similar to them if I were to get pulled into this again...

pet job will probably be one of the first new job addition
the director mentioned it quite a few times

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
God this looks fantastic. Been playing it again for a while now, much improved but that new graphics engine is doing wonders? Good shadows!

But any job/class/whatever they are calling them this time can do this?

Yes, summons aren't attached to any job. They're suposedly atached to a free company (thew new LS/guild system) that they can use once. Then the summon can be fighted again so other free company can use it.

So right now, they aren't "normal" summons like in XI. Maybe in the future.

CREMSteve

Yes, summons aren't attached to any job. They're suposedly atached to a free company (thew new LS/guild system) that they can use once. Then the summon can be fighted again so other free company can use it.

So right now, they aren't "normal" summons like in XI. Maybe in the future.

Damn. That sucks, but it doesn't surprise me, considering how poorly SMN were viewed in FFXI. :(

J-Rod

Wow, have to say these screenshots have exceeded my expectations. My only regret is rolling a boring human instead of taru.

Looks amazing.

Seems like there's gonna be a huge disconnect for current players like myself with the battle system, as the video's combat is almost completely different. There don't seem to be any positional-based combos like the current reform of the battle system (that Yoshida and crew added, wasn't in Tanaka-era XIV), just "hit the button when you have enough TP".

Damn. That sucks, but it doesn't surprise me, considering how poorly SMN were viewed in FFXI. :(

Part of the problem is primals (FF Summons like Ifrit, Garuda, etc..) are very powerful beings in the XIV lore. So it wouldn't make much sense they fight alongside a single guy.

Maybe in the future they include low rank primals or something to be used for the SMN job.

Looks amazing.

Seems like there's gonna be a huge disconnect for current players like myself with the battle system, as the video's combat is almost completely different. There don't seem to be any positional-based combos like the current reform of the battle system (that Yoshida and crew added, wasn't in Tanaka-era XIV), just "hit the button when you have enough TP".

We don't know about that yet. Maybe they just changed things so they could easily show the skills.

Or maybe Battle Regime and limit breaks will change things greatly.

IMO the battle system while decent was crying for a big overhaul. So I'm positive about the possible changes.

jiggle

I meant, can a Dragoon walk up and click the instanced fight to acquire a primal to fight alongside them?

no
and don't expect to be able to summon them at will
last i heard, they are making primals summonable once a week by 1 company only

so expect lots of shitty elementals instead :/

You'll have the chance to change race/sex for your character when you start playing 2.0.
not sex i think

Part of the problem is primals (FF Summons like Ifrit, Garuda, etc..) are very powerful beings in the XIV lore. So it wouldn't make much sense they fight alongside a single guy.

Maybe in the future they include low rank primals or something to be used for the SMN job.

it's so stupid
who really wants realism
they WILL give in eventually and call it mini primals or whatever
the one case of stubbornness this new team reminds me of the old

Ravidrath

Eh, we don't know how an actual summoning class will work in XIV.

If I had to make a comparison to another FF, my thought is that it would work like the summons and the Totema in FFTA2 - there will be a summoner class that summons "lesser" spirits like Cait Sith and Fenrir for general use, as well as the guilds' world-shaking, "smart bomb" summons like Ifrit and Garuda.

Cait Sith and Fenrir did mysteriously show up in the last batch of concept art, so I suspect Cait Sith is the new "Carbuncle."

Toth

Poorly designed job, best used exploiting the game's sloppy design. Not much of a loss.

I know SMN has its weaknesses but as a career SMN in 11, I always found it to be a pretty powerful and useful job. The BP timer does limit our DD abilities but the recent abilities given to the job since the cap, namely Shock Squall and Earthern Ward, has made certain content much easier. And of course, SMN's Alexander is a big strategy in most 99 end game content.

Back to the game though, way to go Yoshi. This is what the game needed: a clean and polished presentation to the world.

jiggle

smn made such an awesome buffer it made my rdm jealous

It's not about realism. It's about cohesion. It wouldn't make sense that after fighting Ifrit as a lvl 50 content battle with 8 ppl some guy comes and summons it as a lvl 30 monster taht can kill a single Molbol.

Make more sense maintaining Ifrit as a very powerful summon that can be only used once and then make other lower grade primals for the SMN job.
i just think they're putting TOO much thought into it
it doesn't need to make sense

but if they really want it too
just say we're only summoning partial power of them or whatever

it's so stupid
who really wants realism
they WILL give in eventually and call it mini primals or whatever
the one case of stubbornness this new team reminds me of the old

It's not about realism. It's about cohesion. It wouldn't make sense that after fighting Ifrit as a lvl 50 content battle with 8 ppl some guy comes and summons it as a lvl 30 monster taht can kill a single Molbol.

Make more sense maintaining Ifrit as a very powerful summon that can be only used once and then make other lower grade primals for the SMN job.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Tamer class will be one of the new class in 2.0. (Job BST)

hteng

Banned
the primals are equivelent to demi gods in the ffxiv lore, they might be able to make it similar to ffxi with primes (lesser copy of the real thing) but i believe the team is trying to distance the game from xi.

Dunan

No restrictions, everyone play on the same servers, cross platform/region.

Edit: it was one of the things that made ffxi special, everyone played together across the globe :D

Global servers. You will play with JP and ENG speakers. Also there's a built in auto translate tool to make things easier when you play with JP ppl (for example).

Fantastic news. Everybody in the world playing together is The Way Things Should Be.

Riposte

I know SMN has its weaknesses but as a career SMN in 11, I always found it to be a pretty powerful and useful job. The BP timer does limit our DD abilities but the recent abilities given to the job since the cap, namely Shock Squall and Earthern Ward, has made certain content much easier. And of course, SMN's Alexander is a big strategy in most 99 end game content.

Back to the game though, way to go Yoshi. This is what the game needed: a clean and polished presentation to the world.

The problem goes beyond SMN being good or not. Like, the best endgame strategies (e.g. Alexander) are also some of the most detrimental to the game.

In any case, I'd prefer the method of giving everyone summons and make each job use them in a way that benefits them.

CREMSteve

the primals are equivelent to demi gods in the ffxiv lore, they might be able to make it similar to ffxi with primes (lesser copy of the real thing) but i believe the team is trying to distance the game from xi.

Distancing it too much is a mistake, IMO.

The reason I'm suddenly interested in FFXIV, is the feelings of FFXI that are rushing back while watching the gameplay videos.

jiggle

they are making it so you can play parts of it with ppl cross server too :)

if anything they made it more XI like since YoshiP came on board with all the patches

Raoh

Only way for me to play this is to:

1. Finish my backlog of games or at least make a series dent.

2. Stay away from steam/ps+ sales, that money can go to subscription fees.

3. Choose my main games to continues play. When I played FFXI or EQOA the only other games I played where:

A. SOCOM Series
B. Gran Turismo/Need for Speed
C. Random game here and there to take a break from ffxi/eqoa.

Going to have to research the classes.

My two main Jobs in FFXI where Dark Knight and Beastmaster.

zlatko

Banned
I'll be on board with this or FFXI. This is clearly going in the 100% damn right direction it should have from the get go.

Too bad I'm broke as fuck and can't afford 2 more months of sub(yes that poor), so I could get in on Legacy. ; ;

I never get to follow the supposed mess that was the original FFXIV release.

Can anyone get me up to speed? Did it look murderously awful, and played awful, in comparison to what's being demoed here?

Oh, man, this looks really good. I may consider giving it a chance one day. I've never been a fan of subscription-based games, but maybe that'll change with this one. It looks really good.

Raoh

Can anyone get me up to speed? Did it look murderously awful, and played awful, in comparison to what's being demoed here?

It didn't feel awful at first, I personally had nothing against the art style but coming from ffxi, ffxiv felt like it was just thrown together, the characters and mobs felt lifeless and the community didn't seem to come together unless you already had friends to join with. Sadly none of my old ffxi friends were on board or I didn't have their contact info unless I signed in to ffxi and sent an in game message.

Nothing felt explained either. I shouldn't have bout it after the beta but I was hopeful that there were going to be many upgrades.

Comparing this to the FFXIV launch is like comparing... uh... well people will from now on compare insane differences using FFXIV launch and A Realm Reborn as an example.

Sallokin

Really, really impressed with the footage. Is there somewhere that has a translation of what's going on when they're talking on stage at the end and the group drops that meteor or whatever on the mob they're fighting? Did it say something about Limit Breaks?

Also, I really hope they add RDM at some point. Hands down my favorite class after DRG.

The launch version of the game felt as unfinished and buggy as a typical beta.

The beta felt like an alpha.

The alpha was the worst game experience I've ever had.

The game just wasn't complete, polished or ready for public consumption in any way, shape or form.

Are they making any changes to the quick travel? Like making it unlimited or quicker to refill?

Anyone planning on rolling a new character when this hits? I'd like to restart with a crew and choose something other than a dragoon since people seem to say they suck at higher levels.

Vossler

I've had a copy sitting on my shelf unboxed for about 6 months now since I grabbed it from newegg for nine bucks. Is there currently a pay to play subscription, or is that hitting when 2.0 gets released? Tried to sift through here, couldn't find much clarification.....I'd love to play as a Dragoon!

ZetaEpyon

I've had a copy sitting on my shelf unboxed for about 6 months now since I grabbed it from newegg for nine bucks. Is there currently a pay to play subscription, or is that hitting when 2.0 gets released? Tried to sift through here, couldn't find much clarification.....I'd love to play as a Dragoon!

It is currently pay to play, yes.

Yes there is a sub fee for the current version.

jiggle

Are they making any changes to the quick travel? Like making it unlimited or quicker to refill?

with chocobo, it's a lot faster to travel around now
airship travels between cities is almost instantaneously
they also reduced anima cost
and i believe the world in 2.0 is smaller in scale

Alchemy

This actually looks like a game, damn. Now I just need concrete information on content progression all the way to level cap and I might have to pick this up.

Top Bottom