• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Xux

Got my broom, it's pretty nice for PvP as it's so low profile compared to everything else.
That's pretty bullshit. They should make it goobue and behemoth onry.
Nothing more terrifying than a swarm of gobbues running at you though.
I remember being legit scared by someone coming around a corner on a goobue mount in 1.0 when goobue were all, like, level 70.

This took longer than it should have but whatever

kNSpxLW.jpg

less than galen. thank god

Omni

If I'm not doing Savage, there's really no point in me gearing up my White Mage any higher than what it is currently, right? (i195).

Not sure if I should start buying Eso gear for my Bard or just continue with my WHM for the sake of it.

Zareka

Marriage question: If I start the marriage quest as a female character, then fantasia to a male between getting the clothes and the actual ceremony, will I be able to exchange the clothes to my new gender via the calamity salvager?

dramatis

Marriage question: If I start the marriage quest as a female character, then fantasia to a male between getting the clothes and the actual ceremony, will I be able to exchange the clothes to my new gender via the calamity salvager?
I don't know if you'll be able to exchange the clothes, but you can probably buy them (either gender) from calamity salvager.

What is my icon?!
Pants. Specifically, LTW 60 AF pants.

Zareka

I don't know if you'll be able to exchange the clothes, but you can probably buy them (either gender) from calamity salvager.
That works too. I just don't want to end up not having access to any of the clothes come ceremony time. Thanks!

WolvenOne

My group is so blasted desperate for a BRD/MCH, that we're even using the FFXIV recruitment reddit.

What has the world come to!?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
My group is so blasted desperate for a BRD/MCH, that we're even using the FFXIV recruitment reddit.

I mean, that seems fairly standard to me. Ultros is smaller and Bards are sparse. May as well check the OFs as well.

Ken

You exchange the female pieces for male pieces and vice versa.

sgjackson

WHM is the standard healer archetype with powerful single and AoE heals and HoTs but not many other tricks to them.

SCH is the mitigation healer with a pet.

AST is the hybrid between the two (although closer to WHM cause no pet) but you need the expansion and a level 50 job already.

Healing's pretty fun since everything is scripted so you'll spend a lot of time getting down a rhythm and getting down a cast rotation. Also XIV healers are usually expected to contribute to raid DPS.

Mitigation healer with a pet sounds like the class Satan will make for me in Hell's MMO so WHM (are the three letter codes for classes regular parlance?) it is.

Are fights scripted on a time/DPS/both basis? Is contributing to DPS a reasonably complex rotation/priority or just mashing out a basic nuke during off-phases?

Ken

Mitigation healer with a pet sounds like the class Satan will make for me in Hell's MMO so WHM (are the three letter codes for classes regular parlance?) it is.

Are fights scripted on a time/DPS/both basis? Is contributing to DPS a reasonably complex rotation/priority or just mashing out a basic nuke during off-phases?

Healer DPS rotations are pretty simple. The challenge is knowing how much you can get away with and when, as you'll have a co-healer in raids.

It's been a mix of both, though the current raid has been more time scripted while the previous raid was heavily DPS/% scripted.

sgjackson

Healer DPS rotations are pretty simple. The challenge is knowing how much you can get away with and when, as you'll have a co-healer in raids.

It's been a mix of both, though the current raid has been more time scripted while the previous raid was heavily DPS/% scripted.

Sweet. Any leveling tips?

WolvenOne

Can't say much about healer DPS, however...

Most fight bosses have rotations that they use during any given phase. Phases usually change when the boss hits a certain HP thresh-hold. However there's a least one boss in the game currently where every one of his moves is dictated by a very specific timer instead of HP thresh-holds.

Also, most DPS classes require players to get into at least reasonable complex rotation to max out their DPS. However, I really don't know how complex Healer DPS is.

Ken

Sweet. Any leveling tips?

Unlock your challenge log at level 15 I think. Make sure to run your dungeon roulettes when you get them cause they reset daily. Hunting Log is good XP too. Keep concurrent with your main quest.

Dungeons usually give the most XP for time so unless there's a FATE group about probably just pop leves while waiting for queue (these will all make sense when you get the game). Also you can ask your friend for a referral code (or vice versa) and you'll get stuff.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

sgjackson

Unlock your challenge log at level 15 I think. Make sure to run your dungeon roulettes when you get them cause they reset daily. Hunting Log is good XP too. Keep concurrent with your main quest.

Dungeons usually give the most XP for time so unless there's a FATE group about probably just pop leves while waiting for queue (these will all make sense when you get the game). Also you can ask your friend for a referral code (or vice versa) and you'll get stuff.

way ahead of you on the referral code, i need that sweet /brofist in my life. thanks for all the help!

AwShucks

The roulettes for sure. Had I done those with more consistency I never would have been stopped by min level in the MSQ

Ken

Instanced dungeons are the type of content that will be experienced by a variety of different players through the Duty Finder, so to ensure proper balance during the final check, instead of having only hardcore battle team members, this special squad was chosen.

Paladin: Lead Designer Takeo Suzuki
Dragoon: Assistant Director Hiroshi Takai
Black mage: Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida
White mage: Project Manager M

kek

aceface

Did you put an ad up on PF? We needed a whm and a BRD/MCH and I managed to find a WHM who knew a bard within an hour of putting one up.

Ayumi

Last night I moved from Ultros to a Japanese server (Atomos), because no one was ever online when I was, making certain gameplay a bit unfun (FATEs, dungeons, etc).

Well, not moved, I just made a new character but probably won't go back to Ultros due to convenience. Feel free to delete me from the FC ("Ayu Mie"), I assume maybe you need the slot for someone else asap.

On a side note, I'm now playing Gladiator, and I'm relieved by how much faster it seems to take to level up than Thauma.

Btw, are minions character by character, server-wide, or account-wide? I don't see them after moving from NA to JP. It's not a big deal, just wondering. Can I pay for a transfer of my NA char so I can access my minions again from my new character?

Sorian

Banned
Last night I moved from Ultros to a Japanese server (Atomos), because no one was ever online when I was, making certain gameplay a bit unfun (FATEs, dungeons, etc).

Well, not moved, I just made a new character but probably won't go back to Ultros due to convenience. Feel free to delete me from the FC ("Ayu Mie"), I assume maybe you need the slot for someone else asap.

On a side note, I'm now playing Gladiator, and I'm relieved by how much faster it seems to take to level up than Thauma.

Btw, are minions character by character, server-wide, or account-wide? I don't see them after moving from NA to JP. It's not a big deal, just wondering. Can I pay for a transfer of my NA char so I can access my minions again from my new character?

They are all character specific. You can pay to move that NA character to the JP server and then access the minions, mounts, and such only from that character.

sgjackson

Friends play on Balmung and Balmung is currently full, so I can't roll a character. Is this something that opens up if I wait till the right time to roll a character or am I going to have to roll somewhere else and transfer? They offered to pay for a transfer if push comes to shove so it's NBD, but I'll be up at off-hours if it opens up when there isn't a queue.

Ken

Friends play on Balmung and Balmung is currently full, so I can't roll a character. Is this something that opens up if I wait till the right time to roll a character or am I going to have to roll somewhere else and transfer? They offered to pay for a transfer if push comes to shove so it's NBD, but I'll be up at off-hours if it opens up when there isn't a queue.

Balmung is a hard server to get into. Best chance is after a maintenance or server transfer.

sgjackson

Balmung is a hard server to get into. Best chance is after a maintenance or server transfer.

joy. how does the data center stuff work? ultros is on a different center, but if i can roll there to mess around and then transfer to balmung i will, otherwise i'll pick a random server off the list.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Best bet, if you really want to get on there, is to make a character anywhere else and drop the $18 for a transfer. Unless you feel like waiting for maintenance like Ken said.
...How do people know so much about other servers?

Balmung is well known for being hard to get into and other things.

Xux

joy. how does the data center stuff work? ultros is on a different center, but if i can roll there to mess around and then transfer to balmung i will, otherwise i'll pick a random server off the list.
Data centers are the servers that make up the pool of players you'll be match made with.

Top Bottom