• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

112baiq.jpg

I've never seen an environment that I'd want to live in so badly.

Sure beats the dusty plains of my former home of Bastok. :D

So excited after seeing the game in motion. I don't know why, but just the fact that you have to bring out your weapon before battle is a nice touch. And that area in the fat chicken video, wow, I can't wait to explore that area. The draw distance is insane also. That bridge in the background blew my mind. And a seamless world! Yay!

I'll be picking this up for the PS3 myself most likely. After running Champions Online beta, I don't think I want to play MMO's in bootcamp anymore. Hope we can see some PS3 footage soon. :lol

Can we expect exp loss?

We're still adjusting and discussing this. It may or may not be an exp-loss when you die in FFXIV. But it will be a lot less than it's in FFXI. However, as said we might not include an exp loss at all in FFXIV. In the alpha version we have exp loss currently, but this is still being adjusted, since it's an alpha version. So it's not decided on

I hope this changes. I don't want EXP loss when you die. I have a hard enough time leveling, I don't want to go through that again.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidusDave said:
though why is there hate for VA? It will only add to the atmosphere (if they choose good actors) and will make the FFXI-type cutscenes even better (does SW:TOR also have quest-cutscenes or do they only use the VA for the standard NPCs standing around?)
Fully agree, to me it's awesome.

(it has come 'cutscenes' yeah, it's cool, it uses a Mass Effect style conversation system for every NPC, it's pretty incredible purely in terms of the amount of work)

Xux

This game does look pretty monumental.

Lovin' the armor and enemy designs. Looks like another SE game to dedicate my life to.

Sonos

Banned
After seeing those fat chicken fights I got excited knowing that there is a Boss Fat Chicken lurking around somewhere. He is in most of the Ivalice games. I would imagine he would be pretty awesome in a game like this. Running across the fields stomping on those freakish Lala things.

Sonos

Banned
God's Beard said:
I'm ignorant of everything MMO so forgive me, but why are the battles so slow? Isn't that kinda boring?

I liken it to D&D in motion. You are rolling for hit, damage, extra effect, etc while the enemy is doing the same. Add in 5 other people (in XI most parties were 6 people total) and it can be quite fun. Or horrible depending on the group of people. Made it new everytime which is good.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
God's Beard said:
I'm ignorant of everything MMO so forgive me, but why are the battles so slow? Isn't that kinda boring?

Could be the way the people were playing it. Yes, it can get boring. =/

Jinko

Quote:
The game will cost to play. There's a fee for 30 days each. Currently there are no other plans to offer other options.

Do they mean per month or is the new payment system now the real deal? sounds like it is :eek:

This was already answered a while back, they have changed the way you are charged, instead of monthly it will be 30 days at a time.

So if you subscibe half way through a month your next subscription date will be half way through the next month not at the beginning.

Basically if you subscibe now to FF11 half way through a month you have to pay a full month for half a months play.

So the new set up is much better, and the same as what WoW uses.

I'm really looking forward to this. I've been looking into starting an MMO lately and was going to go with FF XI but, when this was announced at E3, knew I'd be better off waiting for FF XIV :)

Sonos said:
I liken it to D&D in motion. You are rolling for hit, damage, extra effect, etc while the enemy is doing the same. Add in 5 other people (in XI most parties were 6 people total) and it can be quite fun. Or horrible depending on the group of people. Made it new everytime which is good.

I see. I guess it's just not for me, then. It's a pretty game for sure, but I prefer Monster Hunter or even PSO-style real time combat for online games, especially when there's a lot of repitition and grinding.

Fakto

Is there any information about the server regions ? Will it be like FFXI ? [Japan/Europe/America in the same servers]
/Cross fingers … Loved the auto-translation tool ;D

Sonos

Banned
God's Beard said:
I see. I guess it's just not for me, then. It's a pretty game for sure, but I prefer Monster Hunter or even PSO-style real time combat for online games, especially when there's a lot of repitition and grinding.

That was XI it could be different none of us really know for sure. But my feeling is it will have repetition and a bit of grinding sure.

No45

Xux said:
By explaining it in the terms of use you agree to before you play.
Well, I guessed they'd be covered legally. Just surprised I've never come across anyone raging about it (I'd be pissed, unless it was incredibly clear on the EULA). Only two MMOs I've played before are WoW and CoH, both of which gave you the playing time you paid for.

Sonos said:
That was XI it could be different none of us really know for sure. But my feeling is it will have repetition and a bit of grinding sure.

I was referring to the slow battles in XIV and the repetition/grinding in PSO/Monster Hunter.

Lord Phol

Iron_Scimitar said:
112baiq.jpg

I've never seen an environment that I'd want to live in so badly.

Sure beats the dusty plains of my former home of Bastok. :D

Looks like Scottland, or the Rohan hills in LOTR.

madara

VGChampion said:
I hope this changes. I don't want EXP loss when you die. I have a hard enough time leveling, I don't want to go through that again.

A) Wailing Corridor. We are abit under level here and those banshees are nasty, lets think a strategy through here and use caution. A higher level has cleared the way, has healed you or raises you. (Real sense of community and adventure with risks and punishment)
B) Lets just bum rush this place, its not like we will lose exp or anything major will happen. (More easy mode handing hold in mmorpgs since advent of Wow)

With A I had so many incredible memories and relationships in the early days of this genre besides a stronger a attachment to the game .

agaru

This will hopefully be my first MMO game. Those Famitsu screens look very beautiful and vibrant.

Nice OP, Kagari.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jinko said:
The rain looks quite good, this game keeps on impressing.
It looked very nice in FFXI too so we had no doubts!

Tarus really need to look more Taru'ish IMO :( Please fix!

ffxivblog_1920.jpg

eggandI

Banned
Jesus christ no. Tarutarus always looked like down syndrome deformities that should have never been born. Though I'm no fan of the lalafells they are big improvement over tarus.

Sonos

Banned
eggandI said:
Jesus christ no. Tarutarus always looked like down syndrome deformities that should have never been born. Though I'm no fan of the lalafells they are big improvement over tarus.

You and I are going to arch enemies if we are on the same server.

edit: that lightning strike shot a few posts up the the absolute cat's pajamas.

Jaruru

the pics look much better than the videos.
I hope they're changing a lot of things from FFXI to FFXIV...

the demo wasn't so interesting :s

Zalasta

Glad to know that there's no PVP.

Although I question the possibility of both XP loss and item durability. I rather it be one or the other (I prefer XP loss actually), having both seems kind of harsh, especially if making money is going to be as hard as it was in FFXI.

Munba

One thing to note is that FFXI used its own system, this time Final Fantasy XIV is going to be seamless. No zoning! Just like in World of Warcraft.

I thinks this is a GREAT news. :0

Munba

Sonos

Banned
Zalasta said:
Glad to know that there's no PVP.

Although I question the possibility of both XP loss and item durability. I rather it be one or the other (I prefer XP loss actually), having both seems kind of harsh, especially if making money is going to be as hard as it was in FFXI.

Good Q/A

I found these interesting:

"And also for FFXI and FFXIV we aim to support both players, although FFXIV is using a new graphics engine, so we're providing current FFXI players with an option if they want to play FFXI of course that is fine, but they're also very welcome to play FFXIV."

what do you guys think this means? Graphics upgrade for XI? Confusing statement to me.

"In FFXI, if you weren't fighting or crafting, there was definitely a lack of things to do."

Guy asking the questions said this. I think he is completely incorrect. There was almost too much to do just in quests and exploration alone.

"Will there be Samuari's in the game"

Stupid questions such as this stupid can ruin a decent interview. What is the point in asking about your favorite job? Sorry if this was your question but come on...be for real.

"One thing to note is that FFXI used its own system, this time Final Fantasy XIV is going to be seamless. No zoning! Just like in World of Warcraft. "

sweet.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
eggandI said:
RAGE.

Xux

Sonos said:
"And also for FFXI and FFXIV we aim to support both players, although FFXIV is using a new graphics engine, so we're providing current FFXI players with an option if they want to play FFXI of course that is fine, but they're also very welcome to play FFXIV."

what do you guys think this means? Graphics upgrade for XI? Confusing statement to me.

They did word that kinda weird. I don't think it's anything to get hyped up over, though; just another statement that FFXI's service will continue if people still wanna play it once FFXIV is out.

Sonos

Banned
Xux said:
They did word that kinda weird. I don't think it's anything to get hyped up over, though; just another statement that FFXI's service will continue if people still wanna play it once FFXIV is out.

After re-reading it I think you are right. It was just weird how much they spoke of XI and compared the two.

madara said:
A) Wailing Corridor. We are abit under level here and those banshees are nasty, lets think a strategy through here and use caution. A higher level has cleared the way, has healed you or raises you. (Real sense of community and adventure with risks and punishment)
B) Lets just bum rush this place, its not like we will lose exp or anything major will happen. (More easy mode handing hold in mmorpgs since advent of Wow)

With A I had so many incredible memories and relationships in the early days of this genre besides a stronger a attachment to the game .

Yeah, I can see that happening, but I guess it's just the way I play. I don't bum rush in WoW because I don't want to die (durability, but the main reason is the time to walk). My group of friends and I act scenario A a lot because even though we don't lose experience, we don't want to die and spend time walking back a lot. Plus, I do quest a lot solo these days since my schedule is a little off.

It all depends on how it's implemented. If it's still there at final release, I wouldn't dock it any points in my book. I wouldn't mind if it's there, I just like feeling "safe" with what I've done. :lol

That weather looks awesome. I know I'm just hoping here but it would be amazing if they added in wind so that when a heavy storm comes, all the trees and bushes would be blowing in whatever direction. And I really hope the way those clouds formed at the beginning weren't just a tech demo but how it would actually rain. It would be awesome if I'm out in the field questing when we see some storm clouds blowing in. :D

Sonos

Banned
CrankyJay said:
Heh, looking forward to this. Wonder if they'll have trophies for the game.

on the 360 version the achievements were so mind-numbingly difficult it wouldnt really matter if they did or didnt imo. Dynamis weapons...check.

Kintaro

Sonos said:
Good Q/A

I found these interesting:

Just means FFXI will keep going. FFXI is a PS2 game.

"In FFXI, if you weren't fighting or crafting, there was definitely a lack of things to do."

Guy asking the questions said this. I think he is completely incorrect. There was almost too much to do just in quests and exploration alone.

Quests in FFXI were terrible and exploration is overrated in FFXI. In regards to FFXI, there really wasn't much to "explore." See the sights or something, sure whatever. Do it once and you're done. There's no reward or...hell, anything for doing it in the game.

First time? Cool. Years later? No. That's where the question comes from.

"Will there be Samuari's in the game"

Stupid questions such as this stupid can ruin a decent interview. What is the point in asking about your favorite job? Sorry if this was your question but come on...be for real.

Samurai is the most popular (and most overpowered) job in FFXI and it isn't shown yet. The question has merit.

falastini

That Q&A covers a lot of questions that we've tossed around here.

When is the beta? Any more info?

We dont have any specific time at the moment. But this current version here at Gamescom is an alpha version. And before we start the beta we're going to have another version, a developer version, this time we're concentrating on guild leaves, next time we're going to be concentrating on something else. When it's ready we'll start the beta version. And of course since we're going to launch the game in 2010 it should before that... so. The beta is not going to be in the far future *laughs* We want to do it as soon as possible.

Sonos

Banned
Kintaro said:
Samurai is the most popular (and most overpowered) job in FFXI and it isn't shown yet. The question has merit.

When I quit Warrior's were fast becoming the most overpowered. I guess updates change this every few months. I think with some of the "no job" aspects of the game we might finally get people bitching less about XXX job being overpowered over my crappy YYY job.

Honestly though I'll miss the whining. I loved when people whined even when they could change jobs just as easy as anyone.

Kintaro

Sonos said:
When I quit Warrior's were fast becoming the most overpowered. I guess updates change this every few months. I think with some of the "no job" aspects of the game we might finally get people bitching less about XXX job being overpowered over my crappy YYY job.

Honestly though I'll miss the whining. I loved when people whined even when they could change jobs just as easy as anyone.

The more jobs/weapons they introduce, the higher tha chance of a OP class there will be. <shrugs> It shouldn't matter in a strictly pve mmo really but people get attached to their jobs and on it goes. Seriously though, SE really skewed shit badly later in FFXI's life.

Vinci

Danish
God's Beard said:

The only game that has remotely exciting battles in a general sense is City of Heroes. It's far more action-oriented than other MMOs, but there's pretty much zero depth beyond combat.

Top Bottom