• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DrDogg said:
The new combat system sounds... interesting. I'm worried about how Tanaka said you'd have to skill up your weapon to unlock specific skills. Does that mean I have to melee as a WHM to unlock Cure 4
I'm pretty sure that's called bad design if they go for that. If anything, the requirement for Cure IV would be to use Cure III (with the specific weapon) multiple times and not use a melee attack.

RuGalz

Cedille said:
It was simply tiring to live with people with different ethic, common sense, manner, convention or whatnot. I had a sizable number of friends in both JP and NA (along with EU, TW or HK), and really didn't have any racial animosity, but still.

Considering how much JP players write 'JP onry', I don't think I'm in a minority (I heard even NA players have started to say 'NA only' lately.

JP only or NA only comments really don't mean jack, it is simply a preference thing and sometimes it might simply be necessary because of the need to communicate well during missions and what not.

I love the fact that FFXI has no regional server because it sometimes is interesting to see how different region of people behave differently and making in game friends with people of different regions is awesome. The only down side is play time difference.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Thinking about it, this is typical Tanaka. His interviews always leave more questions than answers because the dude just can't explain shit properly.

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
Thinking about it, this is typical Tanaka. His interviews always leave more questions than answers because the dude just can't explain shit properly.

Glad i'm not the only one who saw this :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Teknoman said:
Hmm maybe it was just the server I was on (Midgardsormr), but I never really experienced those problems. I saw maybe one JP bazaar with a nasty comment, but thats about it. Havent seen anything like this at all on Fairy since I restarted back in late April.
You and me, bro! Great server, very good balance between US, EU and JP.

Zalasta

Honestly, I think 'JP ONLY' meant they speak Japanese only at first. Sure there are players who are biased against people of other languages, but that's true for any countries. I think it was the English speakers ourselves who twisted 'JP ONLY' to mean something negative and demeaning.

I like international servers. For the same reason other people have mentioned, that they are populated with players during all hours of the day. Plus it just feels right for a MMO to be able to play with people from all over the world. I'm pretty sure I met more immature people on WoW's NA only servers than I did on XI, although that might have more to do with the general population of WoW's players, but I think it's still relevant.

falastini

138501.jpg

Anyone else notice he's not touching the mouse? I hope that WASD + mouse is still a viable (and well done) option.

Cedille said:
Almost everything is wrong. I felt far more comfortable in Vana'diel until Nov, 2003.

So in other words you're just xenophobic? You haven't explained why it made you less "comfortable."

Personally, being able to play with people from all around the globe added a ton to the experience. I would be really sad if it were split in XIV.

In any case, this is old info revealed at E3.

Yoshichan

falastini said:
138501.jpg

Anyone else notice he's not touching the mouse? I hope that WASD + mouse is still a viable (and well done) option.
Is he on the numpad? Please say it's true!

Teknoman

A little clarification on the battle system from XIV core:

When asked why they decided to go with this battle system, Tanaka explained that first and foremost they wanted to get players more active in battle, which the auto-attack system discouraged. Final Fantasy XI focused on each job having a clear role, with players designing parties around combining those roles. However, in Final Fantasy XIV, they wanted to develop a system where players could easily enjoy the game alone, with a friend, with three people or more. The system is built around the concept of meeting each player's own playstyle.

Also the guy at XIV core who played the alpha said WASD movement was in.

Yoshichan

2s7umhd.jpg

Hmm, confirmed to be the same enemies?

Jinko

DrDogg said:
I just don't want to be forced to melee as a mage class.

Well thats the point you can't melee as a magic class, when you switch weapons you become a different class all together.

I'm guessing the weapons have skill points much like in FF11, the higher the skill points the higher magic is avalible to you.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Kintaro said:
So, no more auto attack...instead, you have to manually pick attack each time, but have to wait on the gauge the attack to actually carry out... WTF is the difference exactly again? It's like carrying over ATB to the game or something.
They achieve increased tedium with the new system.

I think the gauge/manual attack system may be in-line with Secret of Mana's system. I personally loved this, being able to attack as rapidly as you want but knowing that if you don't let the gauge fill your attacks will hit for low damage/accuracy. It definitely increases the feeling of being "active" in battle, rather than just sitting at letting your character auto-attack.

Plus, wasn't Tanaka heavily involved in Secret of Mana? I would love if it turns out to be something like this.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Teknoman said:
A little clarification on the battle system from XIV core:

When asked why they decided to go with this battle system, Tanaka explained that first and foremost they wanted to get players more active in battle, which the auto-attack system discouraged. Final Fantasy XI focused on each job having a clear role, with players designing parties around combining those roles. However, in Final Fantasy XIV, they wanted to develop a system where players could easily enjoy the game alone, with a friend, with three people or more. The system is built around the concept of meeting each player's own playstyle.

Oh good.

roxya

As a PAL guy I really wanted split regional servers. When I was still playing, there was only one dynamis shell who did runs at times I could make, and that was only their saturday run. And that's not because I don't have time to play, merely because I work full time. A few EU-only servers would help so much.

tldr: fuck SE

Yoshichan

Teknoman said:
That settles it. GotY 20xx

RuGalz

Teknoman said:

Why is there any doubt about this? :lol It's not like FF11 doesn't have it... (As long as the keys can be reassigned it's all good.)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
roxya said:
As a PAL guy I really wanted split regional servers. When I was still playing, there was only one dynamis shell who did runs at times I could make, and that was only their saturday run. And that's not because I don't have time to play, merely because I work full time. A few EU-only servers would help so much.

It seemed like everyone on my server was on the east coast or unemployed. There was only one Dynamis shell that ran at a time that was doable for someone who was employed and in the Pacific time zone, and I hated their leader. I am unemployed now, though. (but hustling enough independent work to pay the bills)

nataku said:
Does the mouse control still suck, though? Can I zip the camera around like in other MMOs?

Think mouse control was unfinished in this build. Judging by their attempts to make controls for PC players easier though, it'll likely be more effective.

Jinko

While in Germany this meant a playable demo at Gamescom, there may be a playable version that users sign up to try out in Japan, more like, as Tanaka put it, a giant focus group. Players will be added gradually, and once the game is polished enough, and there is a solid base of users, they will initiate an open beta

Hopefully this isn't just restricted to Japan.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
Hopefully this isn't just restricted to Japan.

It would be nice if it wasn't, but the fact that it's a "giant focus group" likely means that the developers will be watching them play likely means it will be in Tokyo only.

Khrno

I like that the game won't have auto-attack, it will actually make some people do something, you know, like no more lazy mnks or wars.

The idea of the 'Action Gauge' and 'Power Gauge' sound interesting too, this means that you either have to wait for the action's timer to get ready to be able to use it again, much like Aion. I'm sure there will be a hit command based on the weapon's delay.

Another impression I got, and that already read from other people here, is that it sounds like an ATB system, and actually somewhat like XIII's combat system, where you stack the actions and then let them go, but that I due to the videos I think there's no ATB, and it will all based on the own abilities timers/delay.

What was most interesting to me was the fact that there will be actions for both left and right hands separately. That means you will probably be able to control the shield on somewhat real time, or use separate single handed abilities with each hand when dual-wielding, and I would like to think that you could set defensive actions (parry) to the left hand for example, when using 2-handed weapons.

Ferrio

Banned
Khrno said:
I like that the game won't have auto-attack, it will actually make some people do something, you know, like no more lazy mnks or wars.

If we have to manually do what auto attack does, then screw this. I was a RNG, pressing 1 and repeated intervals over and over and over was not fun.

Vai

roxya said:

Yep, the thing I want them to add the most in FF14 are EU servers, I never got to run dynamis or do some of the other content as the NA linkshells started them at 2am :/

The only stuff I was able to participate in was the timed HNM pops because some happened to spawn at a reasonable time.

Khrno

Ferrio said:
If we have to manually do what auto attack does, then screw this. I was a RNG, pressing 1 and repeated intervals over and over and over was not fun.

Quite the opposite, I want to feel that I'm actually doing something before I get 100% TP.

And you should have tried to be a mage, I mean, omg, they actually had to press a combo for every spell they used in FFXI!!!!!

Vai said:
Yep, the thing I want them to add the most in FF14 are EU servers, I never got to run dynamis or do some of the other content as the NA linkshells started them at 2am :/

The only stuff I was able to participate in was the timed HNM pops because some happened to spawn at a reasonable time.

You probably looked around for an EU LS in your server and didn't find one. I don't blame you, and you might have quitted before the server transfers, but if you didn't, you should have moved into a server with a bigger EU community, and although not many, I knew about several EU LS/HNMLS existed through all the worlds, of course mostly were just 1 big one per server.

My server had one 'big events' LS and one JP/EU HNMLS, so it wasn't too bad for me. Although I did start on a NA LS doing Sky and the such back when the EU version was just being released.

Mau ®

Looks much better than I expected. I, mean, I expected it to look good but it looks really good for a MMO especially.

Game of the forever for me :D

DrDogg said:
I like the cross-region servers, so I'm glad they're still in (even though this was confirmed at E3 so it's nothing new).

The new combat system sounds... interesting. I'm worried about how Tanaka said you'd have to skill up your weapon to unlock specific skills. Does that mean I have to melee as a WHM to unlock Cure 4 or will there be a "spell book" weapon that levels up as I cast spells? Perhaps the staff levels up as I cast spells? I'd be okay with that too. I just don't want to be forced to melee as a mage class.

No SMN job at all right now. Not really digging that, but I get the impression it'll be added in a future expansion so I'm cool if that's the case.

They mentioned the initial game world would be slightly smaller than FFXI's original game world. What were the starting zones in FFXI? I know Bastok, Windy, Sandy, Jeuno and surrounding areas, but what about zones like the Sanctuary of Zi'tah, Beaudeax, etc?
I am too a fan of cross region servers and the auto-translate function as it adds to the game, and (for me) it can make the experience more enjoyable.

As for mages melee, and I am assuming here, I think staff A will give access to X amount of spells (like Cure 1), and once your staff skill is high enough, you can then equip a better staff which will inturn give access to more spells (like Cure 2).

SMN wasn't in FFXI initially (JP release not NA) and I think it fair not to expect a great deal of job/classes at the start. Afterall that is what expansions are for!

As for the original starting zones, man that is a good question....Were Zi'tah and Beaudeax patched in before RoZ? RoZ brought new zones but I don't think they were part of that expansion.

HappyBivouac said:
I think the gauge/manual attack system may be in-line with Secret of Mana's system. I personally loved this, being able to attack as rapidly as you want but knowing that if you don't let the gauge fill your attacks will hit for low damage/accuracy. It definitely increases the feeling of being "active" in battle, rather than just sitting at letting your character auto-attack.

Plus, wasn't Tanaka heavily involved in Secret of Mana? I would love if it turns out to be something like this.
Oh man that would be great if the combat system ended up being very similar to Secret of Mana on a basic level.

Chris R

Snoodaard said:
It looks nothing like the FFXI UI.
Is this a serious post? The compass, world time, ect are basically ripped right from FFXI. I don't know what you consider a UI, but I think those things fall under the scope of a UI.

eggandI

Banned
rhfb said:
Is this a serious post? The compass, world time, ect are basically ripped right from FFXI. I don't know what you consider a UI, but I think those things fall under the scope of a UI.
Compass + time = whole ui? exactly like XI?

are you fucking stupid?

falastini

Teknoman said:
Nice that they confirmed eye and hair color change as well as skintones.

WHAT ABOUT FACIAL HAIR!?? lol... I get sick of games skimping on facial hair choices. I don't want the one-bearded guy option from FFXI.

rhfb said:

Well let's see.. we have an action bar and a chat box that doesn't cover the entire bottom of the screen, not to mention that all individual "windows" are movable and resizeable. We have icons now for inventory and emotes. A bunch of other stuff I'm leaving out as well.

Would it have to have the standard circle-shaped minimap and a stupid useless character picture slapped onto the UI for you to say it's not like FFXI?

falastini said:
WHAT ABOUT FACIAL HAIR!?? lol... I get sick of games skimping on facial hair choices. I don't want the one-bearded guy option from FFXI.

I'd hate to see the two-bearded guy option. o_O

Ainaurdur

Khrno said:
The idea of the 'Action Gauge' and 'Power Gauge' sound interesting too, this means that you either have to wait for the action's timer to get ready to be able to use it again, much like Aion. I'm sure there will be a hit command based on the weapon's delay.

Another impression I got, and that already read from other people here, is that it sounds like an ATB system, and actually somewhat like XIII's combat system, where you stack the actions and then let them go, but that I due to the videos I think there's no ATB, and it will all based on the own abilities timers/delay.
Which for some bizarre reason reminds me also of FFX-2's system. Keeping you active and making skill decisions based on how the battle is progressing, how you want to time them, and in which order.

Top Bottom