• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Khrno

Seiken said:
I was kind of just being ignorant there :lol Ignoring all the new names (Lalafel, what the fuck?) They'll always be Taru!

I know, I still use the job conventions (war, blm, etc) and FFXI related names when talking to friends about the game.

Kintaro said:
BTW, WTF is up with the weird ass names in this game? Guildleaves? That's weird even for the Japanese

I hope it was actually that, leaves, because wtf is a leve, that's how they actually called them, I've never heard of that word before.

Alex

Reading the stuff on the last page that I missed, your action commands change to magic related ones when wielding a staff or rod, so that should clear up the worries for that regard.

I want to know more about that power gauge. This game sounds really complicated combat-wise compared to XI.

Jinko

Say you hit the standard hit, then move onto the heavy attack, then do a thrust attack and by that time the standard hit will be ready for use again, while getting TP for every of these actions.

That doesn't seem to be the case if you watch the videos, when the guy selects an attack it knocks out all his abilities for X amount of seconds and is part the reason why the combat is slow paced.

It could chage of course, but then that makes me wonder why they would show the game when the combat system wasn't even finsihed, so I'm guessing it's mostly finished.

And you basically just said exactly what I'm concerned about. The higher the skill points of your weapon the more magic is available. Well how did you level your weapon in FFXI? By meleeing! Even as a WHM if you wanted to cap your staff you had to melee. I'm just hoping this is not the case for FFXIV.

I get what you are saying now, and I agree skill up parties were a pain in the ass, heres hoping that magic based weapons will skill up by the amount of spells you cast, similar to enfeebling/elemental magic skills.

To the guy asking what Leve is, it means to grant permission. (although its normally only used in reference to prayers)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Classic_Gs said:
I just cannot get behind the new look for Tarutarus, maybe it will grow on me, but they just do not look right.
Maybe it's their run animation that's bothering you? Will most definitely be fixed till release.

Seiken said:
Maybe it's their run animation that's bothering you? Will most definitely be fixed till release.
Its more the proportion of their body, it just seems too tall and uneven (long chest, short legs) but the facial expressions look good for the most part, although the /cheer emote (I assume) looked too much like a little boy. I love my Taru, but perhaps it will grow on me, idk.

Khrno

Azrael said:
I think getting rid of auto attack is a great move. It will make melee jobs more challenging and fun to play.

As far as they have enough skills to keep the action in motion, then I welcome the change as well. So I hope the delay is for single actions and not a global timer between actions.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Azrael said:
I think getting rid of auto attack is a great move. It will make melee jobs more challenging and fun to play.

I think this is just catching up with the jones. Getting rid of them altogether seems a bit goofy just reading about it (because using auto attacks with abilities and timing is part of the fun with other mmos). You don't want it completely automated, but you don't want it becoming whack a mole either.

Man, I still really think SE could have handled this coming out party better than this. A new trailer, hand ons with developers, developer videos, system videos, something. Blizzard is going to unleash red hot fire tomorrow and just push this out of the spotlight completely.

It's not in the spotlight.

I'm pretty sure that Blizzard's next MMO will achieve immense success just on the basis that it is a new MMO by the people who did WoW. Probably many times more success than FFXIV, especially if they get China again. I'm not really concerned. They're barely even direct competitors, and I don't think SE expects to get anywhere even remotely close to WoW's numbers. They're probably happy with that still.

Kosma

Banned
I agree with Kintaro to some degree, but FFXIV would get overshadowed anyway but whatever Blizz will show. So maybe it's smart to lay low and let the hypetrain pass and then show what you got.

Then again FFXIV will find its niche anways, just like FFXI did and I think SE is very realisitc in what they are expecting off it (unlike some other companies in the MMO biz).

Kintaro

HappyBivouac said:
It's not in the spotlight.

I'm pretty sure that Blizzard's next MMO will achieve immense success just on the basis that it is a new MMO by the people who did WoW. Probably many times more success than FFXIV, especially if they get China again. I'm not really concerned. They're barely even direct competitors, and I don't think SE expects to get anywhere even remotely close to WoW's numbers. They're probably happy with that still.

I didn't mean to say its WoW vs. FFXIV. What I meant was, why would you want the first time you show this game to be some low key thing? This is still Final Fucking Fantasy. MMO or not. This is one of your two brands anyone gives a fuck about. You have got to come with something better than this.

Of course Blizzard would steal the show anyway. They have their own event (WTF hapens to those FFXI Fan Fests anyway?). However, you have got to let your presence be known better than this. That's all I'm saying.

This showing is meek as hell. =/

eggandI

Banned
They said they want to get feedback from the community as early as possible even if there's risk of criticism for the game being shown at such an early state. And of course, that was just the case. Probably not the smartest thing to do since people love to jump to conclusions about absolutely everything, but it was with good intent that they did this so I honestly don't give a fuck if it wasn't some flashy showing. There is time for that.

Kintaro

eggandI said:
They said they want to get feedback from the community as early as possible even if there's risk of criticism for the game being shown at such an early state. And of course, that was just the case. Probably not the smartest thing to do since people love to jump to conclusions about absolutely everything, but it was with good intent that they did this so I honestly don't give a fuck if it wasn't some flashy showing. There is time for that.

Eh, whatever. :lol

falastini

Anyone see the Guild Wars 2 trailer? It just emphasizes how much better SE could have handled their media.

It's not fair to compare since we only got images from one zone in FFXI vs. video of varied environments in GW2, but I am now more impressed by their world then I am of Eorza.

Kyzer

Banned
Presumably, the argument goes, that SE was foolish by showing the game in such an early state, because people are not as learned as us hardcore gamers, and would jump to conclusions far too early.

However.

There is a major flaw in this line of thought. Which is basically this:

If you're into it enough to already be keeping up with the early info of FFXIV, then

A. You are NOT some casual mainstream gamer.
B. There's no way that amongst all of these things you're skimming through, that you missed any of the millions of times that it was mentioned that "THIS IS AN EARLY BUILD". And...
C. Even the few casual/mainstreams that will check this out, (meaning the few that aren't FFXI players, FF fans, gamers like us in general,), are probably not dumb enough to think that this game would suck.

Because personally, I am of the belief that if you aren't intelligent enough to realize that what they are showing is very early, then you are dumb enough to be impressed by what was shown.

Kintaro

Ravidrath said:
Kintaro, weren't you a main MNK?

That's the only reason I can think anyone thinks Auto-Attack is awesome and must stay. :p

WAR, MNK, SAM and NIN. All I was saying is that it's odd to ditch it altogether since auto attack plays a strategy in many other games as well as playing whack a mole with abilities. I wasn't dogging the move since I haven't played it.

Whatever indeed. Some of the things people are complaining about in this thread is just

Whatever Junior. SE put themselves out there for it without explaining ANYTHING clearly.

"HERE! PLAY THIS! YOU GOT 15 MINUTES!"

That's just fucking stupid. Early or not. You'd have to already be an extreme fantard to think otherwise.

Shouta

Kintaro said:
So, no more auto attack...instead, you have to manually pick attack each time, but have to wait on the gauge the attack to actually carry out... WTF is the difference exactly again? It's like carrying over ATB to the game or something.

Translation was bad. His full quote reads

"Tanaka: In FFXI, we used an auto-attack system where you selected attacked and it would fight itself. However, in FFXIV you need to select those commands every time. The reason being is that the commands you choose to combine will result in different techniques being activated. How you combine these commands will be a key strategic element."

eggandI

Banned
Whatever Junior? that's gold man.

But seriously though I think they had a powerpoint presentation of sorts before letting people play that explained how to play, how the guildleves worked, basic armory system, etc. So they didn't just tell them "Here, push buttons".

No need to get upset. :lol

Ploid 3.0

Ravidrath said:

That's the only reason I can think anyone thinks Auto-Attack is awesome and must stay. :p

I never leveled mnk and I'm not liking this no auto attack news. Mages didn't have to auto attack because they waited to cast, or med. Having to attack each time via command is like having to use a command to gain mp each time instead of let refresh do it automatically.

Maybe the new system have it so melee attacks does a lot of damage, and melee's are more effective with other tools. Ranged attacks in ffxi for example. Mnk punches stunning a mob (punched in the gut), or reducing it's accu (punched in the eye) randomly.

RuGalz

Shouta said:

"Tanaka: In FFXI, we used an auto-attack system where you selected attacked and it would fight itself. However, in FFXIV you need to select those commands every time. The reason being is that the commands you choose to combine will result in different techniques being activated. How you combine these commands will be a key strategic element."

Wonder if that means skill chain everybody is copying these days or something more interesting. Hopefully it's the later.

Kintaro

Shouta said:

So, basically, whack a mole with abilities combined with meters to form probable SCs or effects. That's fine. What's the proper translation for the meters/gauges or w/e else he was talking about?

But seriously though I think they had a powerpoint presentation of sorts before letting people play that explained how to play, how the guildleves worked, basic armory system, etc. So they didn't just tell them "Here, push buttons".

That powerpoint really didn't work too well did it? :lol

Still seems my point is escaping you completely.

eggandI

Banned
I get your point. Nothing wrong with how you/some others feel. I was just commenting on how I felt about the presentation and some inaccuracies :p

RuGalz

Ploid 3.0 said:
I never leveled mnk and I'm not liking this no auto attack news. Mages didn't have to auto attack because they waited to cast, or med. Having to attack each time via command is like having to use a command to gain mp each time instead of let refresh do it automatically.

Maybe the new system have it so melee attacks does a lot of damage, and melee's are more effective with other tools. Ranged attacks in ffxi for example. Mnk punches stunning a mob (punched in the gut), or reducing it's accu (punched in the eye) randomly.

You can't really retro fit what we know of the new system back into FF11's system and think that's how FF14 will feel like. Obviously the pace of the battle will change to accommodate it. And there will also be macros that will change the # of actions per second required from user input. Since SE is a Japanese company, I honestly don't think the rate of action will be as crazy as if you were playing WoW w/out additional assistance.

Shouta

Kintaro said:
So, basically, whack a mole with abilities combined with meters to form probable SCs or effects. That's fine. What's the proper translation for the meters/gauges or w/e else he was talking about?

Or possibly combining basic commands to form advanced ones or new ones? I was thinking along of the lines of Red Lotus Blade = Attack + Fire or Base Tech + Fire, or some such.

Translation seems ok on the gauges. He just hasn't elaborated on its uses yet.

I'm thinking that the Action Gauge = how many commands you can select at a time. The more you charge, the more commands you select. Power Gauge is power and accuracy of those attacks. Of course then there's TP which changes what skills will be activated, I guess.

If what I'm thinking is true, it would be kind of interesting but who knows. Need more enough from the dude. :lol

One thing I want to point out is that it may be that they're upping the damage and changing how you encounter things to increase the pace. I noticed one of those silly Lettuce Blade doing like 600-700 damage in one of the videos. Assuming that those characters are relatively low level, that would be a real change considering how they wanted us to fight more than one now. That would affect how this new attack system works as well.

Kintaro

Shouta said:
Or possibly combining basic commands to form advanced ones or new ones? I was thinking along of the lines of Red Lotus Blade = Attack + Fire or Base Tech + Fire, or some such.

RLB was on the hotbar I believe. =x

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ravidrath said:

Can you imagine how stupid something like hundred fists would be under this new system?

Shouta

Kintaro said:
RLB was on the hotbar I believe. =x

Just the concept though. Learn basic ones then combine them to make bigger ones? Imagine, Cyclone + RLB = Fire Tornado or something. Just that idea. Of course, I don't think SE is that smart.

Xux

DrDogg said:
I'm still curious about the starting zones. Anyone know? Would be nice to have a comparison.

It was the Middle Lands without the two islands, Volbow (Terrigan and the two tunnels to it), Tu'Lia (Sky), and Li'Telor (Zi'Tah and Ro'Maeve). Pretty sure the Beastmen strongholds were in the original but I'm not sure if Valdeunia (Beaucedine and Xarcabard) was unlocked in a patch or something. A couple random zones were added, too, like Onzozo, Full Moon Fountain, and Stellar Fulcrum (the top of Delkfutt).

So, pretty much the starter regions, the ones that make up the path to Jeuno, Qufim, and the northern region.

Wings of the Goddess is a lot of the original game save for a bunch of the dungeons.

Alex

These responses are just...wow. The fact that people are now contemplating that ATB system they've used since fucking FFIV = pressing X a hundred times for hundred fists is melting my brain.

NeoForte

For those who haven't found out, leve is:

Leve

Leve\, v. t. [OE. leven, AS. l[=e]fan, l[=y]fan. See Leave permission.] To grant; -- used esp. in exclamations or prayers followed by a dependent clause. [Obs.]
God leve all be well. --Chaucer.

So I guess the name makes more sense now.

Teknoman

Heh...whenever an Ivalice Alliance team member is involved, they always pull words from the english language you never knew about.

hteng

Banned
hmm.. not really clear about the combining command thing... you are still performing one attack at each turn.. so are you saying we are going to combine moves/skills on the spot while the ATB fills up and then when it does we use the combined/modified command ?

DrDogg

I don't know why everyone is upset at this showing. This is not the first showing, that was E3 where they had a nice fancy trailer that could appeal to the masses.

This is Gamescom, which in my opinion isn't anywhere near as big as E3 or TGS. I expect TGS to offer a much better public presentation than what we saw here, because as Tanaka stated, this was more a pseudo-beta than anything else.

I'm also reserving judgment on the combat system until we get a full explanation and/or I get to play with it for myself in some sort of finished form. It's way too early to be jumping to conclusions on how this is going to work, especially with what little info we have on the system.

Xux said:
It was the Middle Lands without the two islands, Volbow (Terrigan and the two tunnels to it), Tu'Lia (Sky), and Li'Telor (Zi'Tah and Ro'Maeve). Pretty sure the Beastmen strongholds were in the original but I'm not sure if Valdeunia (Beaucedine and Xarcabard) was unlocked in a patch or something. A couple random zones were added, too, like Onzozo, Full Moon Fountain, and Stellar Fulcrum (the top of Delkfutt).

So, pretty much the starter regions, the ones that make up the path to Jeuno, Qufim, and the northern region.

Wings of the Goddess is a lot of the original game save for a bunch of the dungeons.

Thank you! That's not too bad. I would okay with a starting world of that size. Beta please...

Ploid 3.0

hteng said:
hmm.. not really clear about the combining command thing... you are still performing one attack at each turn.. so are you saying we are going to combine moves/skills on the spot while the ATB fills up and then when it does we use the combined/modified command ?

Sounds like it, think of it as nuking with your weapon. Mix a combo, then attack for greater damage than a normal auto attack would (hopefully). So if there is a thief class, I guess speed in mixes wouldn't factor in. In this case it would be best to be the hardest hitting class (hat). I'd go ranger in this case.

Ranged attack + Fire + Sidewinder + sharp shooter + drain HP.

(Jbird) Omg nice damage Ploid.
(Over confident Ploid) I know -_-, I'm a friggin ranger.

Edit: In the game before all of the nerfs!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Alex said:
These responses are just...wow. The fact that people are now contemplating that ATB system they've used since fucking FFIV = pressing X a hundred times for hundred fists is melting my brain.
Why wouldn't it? It doesn't make you attack a hundred times. It just reduces delay. (makes you attack just under 4X faster) If delay equals timer, then yes it would mean mashing attack buttons.

Kintaro

Alex said:

Lighten up. I took it as a joke. :lol

Ploid 3.0

TAJ said:
Why wouldn't it? It doesn't make you attack a hundred times. It just reduces delay. (makes you attack just under 4X faster)

He probably mixed it up for Asuran Fists. Like I said about thf's speed with daggers, it will probably not even factor in anymore. Well maybe speedy classes will be allowed to mix and match more, or have a reduced cost for mixing. Being able to save more meter and mix/attack more often because of it?

Ploid 3.0

Kagari said:
Have they said yet if the PS3 version will support keyboard/mouse?

I'm going to go on a limb and say that you can use kb/mouse exclusively if you wanted to just like on a pc. PS2 allowed it, even with compact mode just like the PC version of FFXI. There would be no reason to limit the ps3 from using the keyboard or mouse. You'll need the kb to communicate anyway. Not everyone can shout for party invites over the voice chat at the same time.

Top Bottom