• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Inspires Live-Action TV Drama In Japan

"Daddy Of Light"?

bbxotqvuunqrin9z50irvssdb.png

It’s called Final Fantasy XIV: Daddy Of Light and is apparently the first time that FF has been the basis of a live-action TV show.

According to Model Press, the show is about the bond that develops between a son and a father while playing the popular MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV.

It’s inspired by a Japanese blog by a FFXIV player who wrote a series of posts called “The Father of Light” about his 60-something year-old father playing the online game. (Note that the Japanese title 光のお父さん or “Hikari no Otousan” is the same for the blog and the TV show. The official English translations are slightly different.)

Final Fantasy XIV: Daddy Of Light will star Ren Osugi, who often appears in Beat Takeshi’s films, as the father. Yudai Chiba will play his son.

The TV drama will mix live-action and in-game scenes to tell the father and son’s story.

Final Fantasy XIV: Daddy of Light will debut on Japanese television this April.

Ydelnae

I thought Gladiolus was a FFXV character but it's nice to see that he's getting a live action series as part of XIV.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
To quote myself from the FFXIV thread:
The story of that drama is based on this blog, which is going to be released in book form in March.

A few of my friends read the whole thing and said it's really interesting, so I'll probably give the blog version a shot when I have some time.
Also, what's with that title? Should've been "Dad".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well... that is certainly a subtitle not many are going to forget if nothing else.

Kyari

That is a spectacularly unfortunate case of someone whose primary language isn't English picking a word that means father.

~Cross~

hurr hurr hurr I love it when the slang term completely supplants the original meaning of a word over the course of a few years right thread?

Is this a crossover between Resident Evil 7? One which good ol daddy Jack falls into the Final Fantasy universe and wrecks havoc on the local populace?

royox

It's a 60 years old man playing FFXIV....I don't know if I want him to play a Sexy Miqo'te or a little Lala for the lulz.

Frost_Ace

Will Square Enix ever reach the bottom of the barrell as far as titles are concerned? I thought they did with infinite undiscovery but now they come up with this...

But why daddy though? Father of Light is a fine name.

"Father of Light" could sound too properly epic-fantasy-ey. I'm guessing the intent here is precisely to make it sound cheeky and anachronistic. (though I think "Dad" would suffice and be less goofy)

Yeah if the blog was called "Father of Light" what possible reason is there for the change to "Daddy of Light".

The blog title is in Japanese. "Father of Light" is kinda an unofficial-official translation.

Sounds interesting.... Might give it a watch.

But fucking LOL at the title, seriously? Why would they not just use the same name as the blog?

Top Bottom