• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

From that article:

GW: Ultimately, what kind of play style will FFXIV have?

DK: We’re designing the main scenario to be mostly soloable. Thereare party battles, but the focus is solo play. The storyline is pretty hefty. Even the quests available in-game seemed pretty high-volume because of the custscenes, but it will increase even further. If you’re wondering what we have in store for crafters and gatherers, we’re still preparing it so please look forward to it.
Damnit. I was worried this would be the case.

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
From that article:

Damnit. I was worried this would be the case.

Yup so pretty much (at least the content at launch) will be main story = solo, everything else half and half.

So there could be some non-leve quests that actually need a party of people to do. I'm sure story based boss battles will need a party, but for things leading up to those points = solo...which actually doesnt sound too bad. Solo for minor story parts and party for big battles.

notworksafe

jiggle said:
anyone? :(
about to sign up for the payment thing
No one knows. They haven't said if the bill is instant or waits until the end of the month.

Teknoman said:
Yup so pretty much (at least the content at launch) will be main story = solo, everything else half and half.

So there could be some non-leve quests that actually need a party of people to do. I'm sure story based boss battles will need a party, but for things leading up to those points = solo...which actually doesnt sound too bad. Solo for minor story parts and party for big battles.
I guess as long as the option to group is there, and you don't get punished for it, it could be okay.

Also,

DK: There’s a lot of talk among the developers about what the main content is. My opinion is that if guildleves were a food, they would be bread or rice. They allow you to progress but don’t become dull or monotonous. You never grow tired of it. From that perspective, guildleves are the focus. But it doesn’t end there. New quests pop up and new items or skills become available, making progression fun. So I think of guildleves more like a staple food than a main course.

Um...what? If leves are the bread, then what is the main course? Story? They will have to add a lot of story if that is the case. Does this make grinding the lima beans of FFXIV?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'd say the benefits to party play were present in the beta. Say you hit Rank 20 and got access to Rank 30 leves. Unless you're a CON, you cannot solo that shit. If you want to do high ranking leves early, you gotta party.

Jinko

Munba said:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?a...ta ch_id=6251
Concept art of a Company’s guild house

Um.. but its a tent... is that it!

I sometimes wish that F11 was like this, although looking back on it a lot of the inbetween stuff was soloable aswell.

And I told you so to all the guys that were convinced Chocobo's and airships would be in retail...

Sorry for asking, but the OP isn't too clear, is the CE available in the UK tomorrow (or whenever it releases in US) I can't find a release date on the HMV site..

Ravidrath

BTW, anyone else think it's ridic that Lodestone doesn't work with Chrome?

I think it's literally the only site I've been to since I started using Chrome a year ago that didn't work in some semi-major capacity.

jiggle

notworksafe said:
No one knows. They haven't said if the bill is instant or waits until the end of the month.

damn
was hoping to make a mule to play in Lindblum for a month

but don't wanna risk it now XD

Coldsnap

Read the past few pages but I'm stilled confused, I'm going to have to buy spacebucks to pay monthly for this game? Is there going to be content in game that you can buy with spacebucks? If so I'm out

Jinko

Chrome is working fine for me to.

Sorry for asking, but the OP isn't too clear, is the CE available in the UK tomorrow (or whenever it releases in US) I can't find a release date on the HMV site..

Released tomorrow.

GW: The main site mentions a recipe compendium in “The Delicacies of Life” of Aeleyora (*see IV: The Joy of Cooking, for those who are curious). Does it exist in-game?
DK: Due to various reasons, we cannot show it at this time. It is in the works but is not a high-priority item at the moment.

I duno if this is good or bad :S

demonkaze

Sorry if this is really stupid but where can I find my FFXIII item code (PAL version of the game). Is it supposed to be on a seperate sheet or is it this Square Enix members thingy that I have to register first?

Coldsnap said:
Read the past few pages but I'm stilled confused, I'm going to have to buy spacebucks to pay monthly for this game? Is there going to be content in game that you can buy with spacebucks? If so I'm out

You don't have to pay with spacebucks, you can use a credit card but you're going to have to make a click and buy account. You can read more about payment methods here.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/envi/envi04.html

widgetraf

Quick question,

I know there have been multiple write ups about running FFXIV on a Macbook.. but is there any indication that the final version will be playable on a MBP?

:(

notworksafe

It runs on low settings on my MBP. I have an early 2008. So 2.4ghz Core2Duo, 8600M, and 4GB RAM.

Coldsnap said:
Not required to use Crysta, but you'll have to make an account with a CC system. Also it seems there will eventually be microtransactions, but nothing is announced at the moment.

jiggle

signed up with clickbuy
that wasnt' as hard as it sounded

FREE TRIAL PERIODS
FINAL FANTASY XIV’s free trial period is 30 days long. There will be no fees billed for options associated with a service account during this period.

sounds like multiple characters are a go :D

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
Not required to use Crysta, but you'll have to make an account with a CC system. Also it seems there will eventually be microtransactions, but nothing is announced at the moment.

Probably going to end up being a second way to buy expansions or mini-expansions. Doubt it would be anything like actual equipment.

Also please have events that are actually kinda fun/give useful items. If i'm going to get some kind of trick/treat staff, at least make it useful as a weapon, not just for decoration.

notworksafe

Teknoman said:
Probably going to end up being a second way to buy expansions or mini-expansions. Doubt it would be anything like actual equipment.
Wada has said it'll be "pay-as-you-use items". Who knows what that means. Probably temporary xp/stat buffs or mounts? Nothing has even been announced so there won't be any in at launch, I'm sure.

careksims said:
Wait!? There are no Chocobos?! SE!!!!!!!
Yeah, they realized that teleport was stupidly powerful, and because of that as just normal steeds Chocobo's are useless (except for the single time you have to walk from one city/camp to the next).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, they realized that teleport was stupidly powerful, and because of that as just normal steeds Chocobo's are useless (except for the single time you have to walk from one city/camp to the next).
Even with teleports, I'd still pay to rentachocobo.

Zomba13

Rental Chocos need to be in imo. It's all well and good using anima to tele across the world bu when you just want to go from town to the nearby camps it'd be more econmic to use a choco rather than 4 anima, especially as it takes 6 to go to any other camp or city. Also, they have chocobo NPCs in every town.

jsrv

valenti said:
im thinking bout just joining a low populated server..too many ppl in linblum and raba rofl
Yeah, Lindblum will probably be one of the servers to first hit that server limit or have server queues. didn't think rabanastre would be high population, I think it only hit 2 chocobo rating during the peak of open beta

Ravidrath

So, pre-order items...

Do you get them on every character you make? Or just the first one?

Like, if I make my character on a server and don't like it, can I make a new character on another server and get my items again?

Kandinsky said:
Wait, where did this "no chocobo" talk came from?, are you telling me they wont be available at launch?:lol

I guess I wasn't around for the original Japanese XI launch, but this seems consistent with every expansion since U.S. launch. :\

Ravidrath said:
So, pre-order items...

Do you get them on every character you make? Or just the first one?

Like, if I make my character on a server and don't like it, can I make a new character on another server and get my items again?

I guess I wasn't around for the original Japanese XI launch, but this seems consistent with every expansion since U.S. launch. :\

Every. But not on existing characters, so register codes first.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, do I have to register my credit card with Square/ClickandBuy even if I plan to pay with Crysta?

If I have to register my card with ClickandBuy anyway, I may as well use them to pay for the service fee.

Cathcart

Kandinsky said:
The "can equip anything, from any class, at any level" bs needs to go.
Why? It's not like you get the full benefit of higher level armor. In fact you're kind of dumb for equipping gear that is too high level because you won't get much out of it and you'll pay a ton for repairs. So there's basically a penalty for it but they leave it up to you.

desa

So, you mean to tell me I can't pay the exact amount for a standard monthly fee (account + character) and will have to buy excess crysta? Are you kidding me? Why isn't there a 100 crysta option.

Jinko

Hmm I'm contemplating getting the hermes shoes... what do you guys think, are they really worth the 11 subsciption fee ?

LaneDS

Kandinsky said:
Wait, where did this "no chocobo" talk came from?, are you telling me they wont be available at launch?:lol

As someone active in the beta thread for a long time, I am surprised that you're surprised by this.

jiggle

Jinko said:
Hmm I'm contemplating getting the hermes shoes... what do you guys think, are they really worth the 11 subsciption fee ?

isn't it too late?

we'll know in 3-4 hours if it's worth it or not

probably worth it if it works with ALL jobs and active 100% of time with no charge required

P9220990a.jpg

:D

Kandinsky

Cathcart said:
Why? It's not like you get the full benefit of higher level armor. In fact you're kind of dumb for equipping gear that is too high level because you won't get much out of it and you'll pay a ton for repairs. So there's basically a penalty for it but they leave it up to you.
Because crafters get fucked with a system like that, and people are too dumb to figure out exactly what you are saying, hence most will go after looks/badassery(word?) than performance, that and i just cant stand seeing heavy DDs running around in mage clothes, it just doesnt make any sense to me.

Jinko said:
Wait and see? for all we know these could end up being Sprinter's shoes 2.0 :/

@Lane, you are right, shame on me, i guess :/

Jinko

jiggle said:
isn't it too late?

probably worth it if it works with ALL jobs and active 100% of time with no charge required

Hows it too late ? I thought as long as you had a FF11 subsciption active when you made your character you would get the shoes.

About the level and gear thing you actually don't get that much of a penalty for wearing high level gear (besides the cost of repairs) its more the wrong type of gear and its actually a pretty big one too.

I will be keeping one set for my mage and one for my melee, if I have several bits that don't suit a sub class too bad cause im not carrying around 5 sets of gear unless they give me a gobbiebag. (or the ability to sort my bags and only show up items that can be equiped to the slot i have selected)

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Conrad Link said:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f61/jonathan_nz/P9220990a.jpg[/IM]

:D[/QUOTE]

:P

Mine just shipped from Amazon. With UPS though; who seem to always be late. :(

lol

Kandinsky

Teknoman said:
That is gone...at least the class part for alot of items. The level stuff...dunno if its still there.
Based on ....? if youre talking about OB, the favors <insert class here> thing didnt prevent you from equiping it.

Jinko said:
Hows it too late ? I thought as long as you had a FF11 subsciption active when you made your character you would get the shoes.

About the level and gear thing you actually don't get that much of a penalty for wearing high level gear (besides the cost of repairs) its more the wrong type of gear and its actually a pretty big one too.

I will be keeping one set for my mage and one for my melee.

You have to be out of the trial period, so it's cool if you plan on making your 14 character next month, not so much if you want to play tomorrow.

jsrv

jiggle said:
isn't it too late?

There was a time limit to link your POL account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom