• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jijidasu

Lazy gits.

I wish they'd stop doing this kind of stuff. My fears of seeing Cloud and other fan favourites contaminate Eorzea are becoming more likely.. what ever happened to having a unique world.

Munba

Lazy gits.

I wish they'd stop doing this kind of stuff. My fears of seeing Cloud and other fan favourites contaminate Eorzea are becoming more likely.. what ever happened to having a unique world.

Agree. Really hope to not see the actual characters in Eorzea... but only equip.

ebil

There's going to be an ingame event including Lightning (it's her actual FFXIII model). Lightning and Snow outfits for each race and weapons (Snow's Axe, Serah's Bow, Fang's Spear...). I'd upload the pictures I took but I have a terrible internet connection here.

Yoshida speaks French better than he speaks English too. XD

Apparently, female Roegadyn is the most popular race/gender combination with French players. I'm slightly surprised.

Lazy gits.

Agreed. It feels wrong and I'd rather not have Lightning in this game...

Riposte

Lazy gits.

I've been beating this drum forever haha. It is too bad they can't at least make the fan-service items fit in a little better. Not even "Eorzean" Lightning gear, they just took the stuff right out of another world. The weapon designs are even crazier.

Munba

The last hope is that lightning event will be in a dream when you go to bed in the INN... in that case it'll be limited and will not ruin the Lore so much.

elyetis

I really wouldn't mind having characters ( bad guys too ) from other final fantasy appear in instanced content / outside of the open word / story line.

I would actually love to have to fight them as boss / party in the arena/some kind of arena.

Gear is maybe more of a problem for me because it goes into what you live/see in the open world.

Munba

Wow Mordhona is really nice now, with forest parts too. And its music is beautiful..

Hope Coerthas is not only snow though eheh.

ebil

The last hope is that lightning event will be in a dream when you go to bed in the INN... in that case it'll be limited and will not ruin the Lore so much.
That's what I'm wishing for. I recall them talking about an event, best case scenario is a limited-time event to 'celebrate' the release of Lightning Returns before she goes and never comes back.

Azzurri

I can't help think when watching the video that these zones are not seamless and it takes away from the MMO feel. I know it doesn't make any sense, but having "zone lines" really kills the immersion and sense of a big world for me in an MMO.

I know they tried this in 1.0, but they could have just removed the zone lines from ARR, but I guess it's less taxing for them to have "zone lines"

Munba

I sincerely have no problems with zone lines.. it ruins the immersion? Come on.... ff11 had them and the immersion was full in any case for me.

Ala Alba

I can't help think when watching the video that these zones are not seamless and it takes away from the MMO feel. I know it doesn't make any sense, but having "zone lines" really kills the immersion and sense of a big world for me in an MMO.

I know they tried this in 1.0, but they could have just removed the zone lines from ARR, but I guess it's less taxing for them to have "zone lines"

They were going for a FFXII look.

Same. I'm also thinking about all the invisible walls that are around every part of everything in the video as well.

They can't remove them because this is being made for the ps3. So you can thank a system that is being replaced in a few months for holding the game back.

Azzurri

I sincerely have no problems with zone lines.. it ruins the immersion? Come on.... ff11 had them and the immersion was full in any case for me.

Like I said for ME it takes me out, I just feel like zoning in and out of a zone isn't MMO like.

They were going for a FFXII look.

What does that mean, I've never played FFXII

Same. I'm also thinking about all the invisible walls that are around every part of everything in the video as well.

They can't remove them because this is being made for the ps3. So you can thank a system that is being replaced in a few months for holding the game back.

PS3 limitations, HAHAH

No is true for normal RPG's too, yesterday I was thinking how Vagrant Story sucked because of zone lines. Such a shame.

Different type of game friend. A mmo hinges, for me, on building a fully operational and immersive gameworld. Things like obvious zonelines and invisible walls take away from that. There was a time when it was a necessary evil that you had to begrudgingly deal with, but it has been a while since then.

Are you really trying to make the claim that this game in particular is better for having zone lines though? If not then what are you defending? Just because you are a fan of the game itself doesn't mean you have to defend things they do badly. And me being critical of bad parts of the game doesn't mean I don't want to play it.

Different type of game friend. A mmo hinges, for me, on building a fully operational and immersive gameworld. Things like obvious zonelines and invisible walls take away from that. There was a time when it was a necessary evil that you had to begrudgingly deal with, but it has been a while since then.

Are you really trying to make the claim that this game in particular is better for having zone lines though? If not then what are you defending? Just because you are a fan of the game itself doesn't mean you have to defend things they do badly. And me being critical of bad parts of the game doesn't mean I don't want to play it.

I'm not defending it, but as much as a seamless open world is a nice thing to have, is not a critical aspect for any game.

Those are little extra touches, games aren't worst or better for things like that. Not there's a correlation between bad MMO's and not seamless worlds.

Jinko

It still is a necessary evil if you want zones with that much detail to fit in the PS3's memory.

I agree that SE should have looked into streaming the world like in other MMO's and open world games, but I don't think its a huge problem, on most PC's it takes 1-2 seconds to load between zones and PS4 should be no different, too bad if you are playing on PS3 though.

Munba where did you see the Mor Dhona stuff and music :p ? (nevermind found it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--a6__DnOdc

I'm not defending it, but as much as a seamless open world is a nice thing to have, is not a critical aspect for any game.

Those are little extra touches, games aren't worst or better for things like that. Not there's a correlation between bad MMO's and not seamless worlds.

This statement I disagree with. There are types of games that are made better or worse by this and mmos are one of them. IMO of course.

It still is a necessary evil if you want zones with that much detail to fit in the PS3's memory.

Yes, I understand that that is the choice that square made, but that doesn't mean I like it. They are taking all this time and effort to remake a game that they want to last another generation, but are still letting it be limited by the specifications of a system that isn't going to.

I went ahead and used my PS3 code just for kicks(been playing on PC for the last few weeks). I'm now sitting at the launcher screen without any way to back out to the dashboard. hitting the PS button doesn't do anything.

Excko

I went ahead and used my PS3 code just for kicks(been playing on PC for the last few weeks). I'm now sitting at the launcher screen without any way to back out to the dashboard. hitting the PS button doesn't do anything.
You need To press and hold the PS button until the quit game option appears.

Jijidasu

The idea about Lightning being a dream event in the Inn is really good. But I doubt SE are thinking on terms like that. :(

I'm fine with some weapon designs from other games (dat bow!) but actual characters are too much. It would honestly do a lot of damage to my impression towards the game if they went ahead and introduced more. My ultimate fear is seeing Cloud and Sephiroth in the game.

Jinko

I am hoping it will be a limited time guildhest event, Yoshi-p did mention that if they brought in these kinds of battles where we fought villains/protagonists from other games it would be something like guildhest.

Teknoman

The duty finder seems pretty helpful...but I dont think i'd use it that much. Whats the point in making friends/acquaintances from another world?

I guess it'll be cool as a last resort. Snagging a rep mid dungeon does seem like a nice feature.

I would prefer a seamless world if possible, but if it means the environments will look better and have more variety, I'm all for zone lines. The only thing that bugged me about FFXI's zone lines was that you would miss /tells and linkshell chat while zoning (which they have fixed for XIV ARR).

Azzurri

I would prefer a seamless world if possible, but if it means the environments will look better and have more variety, I'm all for zone lines. The only thing that bugged me about FFXI's zone lines was that you would miss /tells and linkshell chat while zoning (which they have fixed for XIV ARR).

Seamless worlds are possible, but SE promised ARR for PS3, so we got zone lines.

Jinko

The duty finder seems pretty helpful...but I dont think i'd use it that much. Whats the point in making friends/acquaintances from another world?

I guess it'll be cool as a last resort. Snagging a rep mid dungeon does seem like a nice feature.

Oh you'll use it ;)

Even with guild runs you are sometimes short 1 or 2 people it will be handy for times like those.

Ravidrath

Oh you'll use it ;)

Even with guild runs you are sometimes short 1 or 2 people it will be handy for times like those.

My only issue I see with the Duty Finder, really, is how comparatively difficult it makes forming a party the "normal way" look.

After Anime Expo I think I'm going to venture into the forums and propose a similar feature for the future, the Event Maker.

This would be like the Duty Finder, but in reverse: FC officers would create events, specify what classes/roles they'd like, and when confirmed an alert would go out to everyone in the FC.

FC members would hit their Event button and could join into any of the existing proposed events, and FC officers could also seek replacements from the FC using it, too.

Riposte

Well, I really want them to fix up search and make it more relevant to the game. It is odd how it doesn't really mesh Duty Finder when it is pretty much suppose to do the same thing.

Jinko

My only issue I see with the Duty Finder, really, is how comparatively difficult it makes forming a party the "normal way" look.

After Anime Expo I think I'm going to venture into the forums and propose a similar feature for the future, the Event Maker.

This would be like the Duty Finder, but in reverse: FC officers would create events, specify what classes/roles they'd like, and when confirmed an alert would go out to everyone in the FC.

FC members would hit their Event button and could join into any of the existing proposed events, and FC officers could also seek replacements from the FC using it, too.

Yea this is similar to the event plannar in WoW, its really handy for making events, cause we all know that people can't be bothered to check an external website half the time lol.

Having a Free Company sign up board in your house would be kind of cool for this stuff also.

Teknoman

Yea this is similar to the event plannar in WoW, its really handy for making events, cause we all know that people can't be bothered to check an external website half the time lol.

Having a Free Company sign up board in your house would be kind of cool for this stuff also.

I'd rather the Free Company sign up board. I'm fine with all these current mmo features, but just put an square/FF spin on em.

Xux

How 'bout a new Limit Break idea...!

Limit Breaks

-Unique to each class, Jobs may add a unique one each
-Each cost a single bar but you can stock more than one (if there's more than one bar)
-Do more than just damage like the current ones but the tank ones and maybe a couple healer ones would do damage

Limit Links

-one player can use their Limit Break quickly (within 5 seconds-ish) after another uses theirs to add a buff to the party
-it's a buff 'cause it'd be kinda redundant to just do more damage, there'd be little variation without elemental weakness etc.
-buff is dependent and logically based on the two roles of the players that cause it

IE DD+DD = damage boost, Tank+Tank = damage reduction, DD+Tank = weaker damage boost+ weaker damage reduction etc.

-players would be unable to use another Limit Break while a buff they caused from one is still active
-buffs from a single link would be sort of underwhelming and last about 30 seconds unless...

Limit Chain

-a third class can link off the second add another boost, strengthen the original and reset the duration
-the only real catch is that the chain is broken if a class or job from a class that already applied a buff uses a Limit Break.
-so a party of eight different classes could have 7 links and 6 chains worth of buffs
-this "True Party" setup would get a doubled duration on the sixth chain
-a less diverse party could have some other combination like 2 sets of 3 links and 2 chains or a 6/7 link-chain and another link

Riposte

I think Limit Break reimaginings are the most popular type of armchair developer thought exercise among XIV players. It goes to show you how lame it is (outside the visuals).

A lot of people like the idea of giving everyone their own single/solo bar and having some sort of chain/link mechanic work for the higher tier stuff. I was thinking about that and if they did that, they should replace the old limit break bar with something like a "Camaraderie" bar which would dictate how and if limit breaks could be used. You build it up just you do now and it opens up access to higher level limit breaks (however they are performed), without draining upon use. I was thinking instead of being used up, it could drop depending on how poorly you are playing as a group. If a player dies, it sinks a sizable amount, but then using raise would restore a good chunk of that. Perhaps using certain powerful actions drains it. You could also add bonuses or penalties based on not reaching certain checkpoints in time - although I've noticed people are little afraid of timed runs because they went too far with it in 1.0, so maybe have it be based on the something like how fast/slow you take down a boss from the time someone first appears on its enmity list to its death. Even crazier than that you could have levels be locked until some secondary objective is completed (like an optional boss or clearing out a certain room or finding x number of key items). If limit breaks begin to feel more vital than they do now (right now they pretty much feel like a toy, very different from 2-hours, which is their closest comparison), then tying it to the level design doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Originally I thought Limit Breaks were the best way to implement co-op mechanics, but now I don't think so, though I'm not opposed to their being two sets of such mechanics. I would just prefer something that is more frequent and dynamic. To me the ideal system is something like skillchains (although not necessarily like skillchains), where you don't know what skillchain you are going to use 30 seconds from the present. I have a pretty elaborate bit of fan-fiction in mind, but I've already spoken enough.

I think LB's should be be shared among roles, that way of a DPS blows his "LB" load for trolling purposes, it doesn't affect the tank or healer. Considering how slow the LB meter fills anyway, I don't see it as an issue.

Miche

Neo Member

That would be awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom