• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV PS4: 60 FPS, 1080p, Equivalent to Highest PC settings

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not sure what it's like now but at launch leveling other jobs was definitely issue. When the leveling game design requires players to go through FATEs for basically everything, there's something wrong. I mean, even when leveling your first job, going through FATEs is faster than doing quests. There was something fundamentally wrong when balancing the leveling aspect let alone them not designing for the job-switch leveling part.

Still, great to hear that SE is on the ball about the PS4 versions.

Quote from article:

Thread title:

Inaccurate thread title unless I am misunderstanding the word "equivalent."

Even if the PS4 version of the game had every graphical setting available in the PC version's menu, it still isn't possible to have the "highest PC settings."

It still won't be able to do things like use SweetFX or Sparse-Grid Super-Sample Anti-Aliasing. These work for most PC games and they significantly improve picture quality beyond the graphical settings shipped with most titles.

That's great. I wanna relive the maple story days. That was some damn fine gaming.

my man, I loved the time I spent with that game. Got ridiculously grindy at a point but it was worth getting to that.

Do you need to activate the ps3 version in order to get in the beta and get the ps4 upgrade or is own it enough? I got the dl version on the pan sale and wanted to hold on to it cause of the free month.

Arzehn

I wonder if there's any chance the PS4 release comes with new jobs. I want to play THF. :( Will there be a collectors edition on PS4 as well?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wonder if there's any chance the PS4 release comes with new jobs. I want to play THF. :( Will there be a collectors edition on PS4 as well?

There's a PS3 collector's edition, (which can be changed to a PS4 license) so even if there isn't there is. It was $15 a week or so ago.

statham

d91.gif
lol, fail.

Arzehn

There's a PS3 collector's edition, (which can be changed to a PS4 license) so even if there isn't there is. It was $15 a week or so ago.

Was hoping for physical, and no where around here sells the PS3 CE anymore. I should have bought that CE on PSN though. I just recently had an urge to play.

I thought owning the PS3 version gets you in automatically?

Haven't read the thread, but I picked up the CE version on PS3 for $15 and it was understood you get the PS4 version for free when it is released. I also just picked up the $15 Digital Download version for the PC as well and understand that the CE for PS3 carries over to PC standard as it is considered an add-on.

As for the PS4 beta I haven't heard a thing about it.

my man, I loved the time I spent with that game. Got ridiculously grindy at a point but it was worth getting to that.

Do you need to activate the ps3 version in order to get in the beta and get the ps4 upgrade or is own it enough? I got the dl version on the pan sale and wanted to hold on to it cause of the free month.

I can't find any concrete info about the activation thing, but I'd assume that you'd have to, otherwise you could just sell the game and get into the beta. One thing though, you'll get the PS4 version free if you have the PS3 version, but you'll probably have to activate it. If I were you, I'd just hold on to the activation until the beta comes out. If you don't have access, then just activate it then.

Also, man MS was so good. I don't how, but I enjoyed the grind. It just felt so good to get stronger and level up to get high enough to be the boss walking around in henesys or something lol.

Not sure what it's like now but at launch leveling other jobs was definitely issue. When the leveling game design requires players to go through FATEs for basically everything, there's something wrong. I mean, even when leveling your first job, going through FATEs is faster than doing quests. There was something fundamentally wrong when balancing the leveling aspect let alone them not designing for the job-switch leveling part.

Not sure what it was like after 1.0 beta, but now you have FATEs + daily Guildleve + Levemete things. You also get bonuses for killing so many of a certain type of monster, etc.

I have had an easier time leveling solo in this game than many other games I've played, way easier than when I was playing 11 on PS2, although once you get around 25/30+ it can start to grind.

oSoLucky

Framerate most certainly does matter in MMOs. It makes PvP and high movement fights flow much much better with a higher one. 30fps is playable, but it's as bad as 30fps action games relative to 60.

Framerate most certainly does matter in MMOs. It makes PvP and high movement fights flow much much better with a higher one. 30fps is playable, but it's as bad as 30fps action games relative to 60.

Not just that but also draw distance, pop-in, etc, on older hardware like ps3 makes certain things just impossible.

I also wonder if they mean the PS4 version will be maxed out, like max number of effects? Cause you can adjust the crap out of that stuff but I'd love to have the option of running everything full on.

AmyS

Well, I just completely changed my mind on FFXIV: ARR framerate after seeing the PC Benchmark on a high end rig w/ GTX 780.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CYArpFhZRU

60fps really does matter even in MMORPGs.

I soooo wanted SE to pull that off on PS4.

Edit: I know PS4 GPU isn't nearly as strong as GTX 780. That said, I figured with console optimization, being careful with the level of effects, 60fps on PS4 could've happened, especially since PS4 GPU isn't fillrate or bandwidth starved like other current and last gen consoles are.

dramatis

Not sure what it was like after 1.0 beta, but now you have FATEs + daily Guildleve + Levemete things. You also get bonuses for killing so many of a certain type of monster, etc.

I have had an easier time leveling solo in this game than many other games I've played, way easier than when I was playing 11 on PS2, although once you get around 25/30+ it can start to grind.
Actually, post 2.1 patch dungeons are spitting out more exp than FATEs, so there's technically no longer FATE grinding. There's a daily Duty Roulette option that stacks on the exp too, and if you make it to level 42 there's also beast tribe daily quests.

Well, I just completely changed my mind on FFXIV: ARR framerate after seeing the PC Benchmark on a high end rig w/ GTX 780.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CYArpFhZRU

60fps really does matter even in MMORPGs.

I soooo wanted SE to pull that off on PS4.

Edit: I know PS4 GPU isn't nearly as strong as GTX 780. That said, I figured with console optimization, being careful with the level of effects, 60fps on PS4 could've happened, especially since PS4 GPU isn't fillrate or bandwidth starved like other current and last gen consoles are.

addon.php

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Most people will assume this is a gpu issue, but I think this game (like most mmos) is very cpu dependent. If so, that may prove to be the cause. Let me tell you, this game will not be a steady 30 fps. =p

mintylurb

Most people will assume this is a gpu issue, but I think this game (like most mmos) is very cpu dependent. If so, that may prove to be the cause. Let me tell you, this game will not be a steady 30 fps. =p

Yup. I'm sure they're targeting 60 FPS at 1080P. Though my rig isn't exactly high-end, 3570K OC'd to 4Ghurtz, 2 670's, it still dips to around 40 FPS(@1080P)when there's a crowd.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if they manage to get the ps4 version running at a steady 40 FPS at 1080P.

Jetman

So when is the pending release for this on PS4? Checking Gamestops listings, I didn't see this anywhere up there and actually think the PS4 version got pulled off. And Amazon now shows a placeholder December 31,2014 date for release :/ Wasn't this supposed to come out in March of this year or some shit?

Jetman

The PS3 version doesn't look all that great but XIV for the PS4 sounds really good! Atleast graphic wise.

Well, we may not find out this year how it looks on a next gen console if this got pushed back into obscurity.
Bought the PS3 digital version on sale and was waiting to do the free transfer onto PS4 when it came out for that, but yeah...
Really wanted to try this out on console.

Skilletor

Well, we may not find out this year how it looks on a next gen console if this got pushed back into obscurity.
Bought the PS3 digital version on sale and was waiting to do the free transfer onto PS4 when it came out for that, but yeah...
Really wanted to try this out on console.

Thought the beta was launching in Feb. with the japanese launch of ps4. Did I miss some news?

Famassu

Thought the beta was launching in Feb. with the japanese launch of ps4. Did I miss some news?

No, Jetman is just freaking out for no reason. Gamestops and the like change release dates all the time, especially for games without a firm, officially announced release date, and it doesn't have to mean anything. As far as we know, the PS4 beta will still be starting around PS4's Japanese launch and nothing has changed. At worst, I'd say there could be a slight delay of 2-4 weeks or something.

Jetman

Oh the Beta was Feb/March? Gotcha. No freaking out here lol - Just hadn't heard anything and knew that date was getting pretty close to when I'd thought it was coming out.

EDIT: dammit, not 60 FPS? Thread title was a lie ;(

Coming from the company that doesn't bother to get a SNES emulation of Chrono Trigger running at 60FPS on iOS when you can run an emulated version at 60, I can't say I'm surprised.

Milly79

This is probably the dumbest question ever, but how do you go about using voice comms? You do play with ps3 and pc players, right?

Artorias

Banned
Sorry this is off topic a bit, but I somehow lost my security token and couldn't figure out how to log in during the free weekend. Is there a way to unlink it online without having it on hand? Should I just contact them?

I tried googling my issue and mostly found forums posts related to FF11 security tokens and not much on XIV. Anyone have experience with this?

studyguy

My $1K PC can't even run above 40 fps in crowded Mor Dhona. Anyone expecting a constant 60 fps is being illogical.

Pulling 60fps in a a year old build on 1440p, honestly at 1080 the game isn't that taxing outside of clusterfuck moments. I'd imagine a ps4 doing fine for the vast majority. Hell even CT isn't that bad and gigantic fates are rare since 2.1 unless it's odin or behemoth

Top Bottom