• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV PS4: 60 FPS, 1080p, Equivalent to Highest PC settings

The game is undeniably the best looking mmo of all time. Period. It's breathtaking and varied. The monsters are exactly how I imagined FF monsters to be in true next gen HD. The ps3 version is a shadow of what my pc can put out on ff14

Sorry but that tittle could either go to GW2 or Tera. From all aspects they have more fidelity and more detail, not to mention that final fantasy doesnt even have underwater areas and the variety of landscapes is vaastly inferior. Ill give you that its the best final fantasy MMO tho.

That's not quite the same thing, and there's already precedent for what he's asking for. With FF11, if you sa y, bought the game on PS2 or 360, you could play on PC as long as you got the client somehow, without paying anything extra. And that's actually how FF14 was during the beta, as well. If you got in on PS3, then you could play on PC with no extra work.

I guess the upside is that the game itself isn't $60 for each platform. Though, I'm kind of worried on how they're going to handle it with expansions. Have they said anything yet?

No it isn't a grindathon, some people just didn't balance out their activity properly. If you run story quests and only story quests, yes, you'll hit road blocks. That's why there are fates, hunting logs, optional dungeons, guildheists, and all sorts of other means of gathering quick XP. You'll need to partipate in these sorts of things anyway, for in game cash, loot, and all sorts of other things that'll aid in the gameplay.

Basically, you have to play the game like an MMO, you can't just skip all the side stuff like in most JRPGs.

i ran every dungeon multiple times for gear, did fates when I levelled, hit every quest on my way to 50 outside of the limsa lominsa starting quests

I ran completely 100% out of quests right before I dinged 47 and had to grind out those 2 levels

that was also with a very large amount of rest xp and using food the entire time

Is 1080p 60FPS possible on PC already or are there any technical problems?

I play at 1440p at 60-70+ fps with no issues even in very big environments

1080p is like 90+fps, ps4 should be able to do that

Cels

i don't understand, how can it be equivalent to pc when it is missing some directx11 stuff the pc version is getting? it might be really close but pc will edge it out on that basis

Some Nobody

The problem is that the game is far too easy and unrewarding all the way up to the endgame stuff. They've admitted this as well. It also strips away the need to be an MMO, as its strictly a single player game, minus the required dungeons you need to do in order to advance. The action-house....im sorry, the market boards are mostly useless, as are the need for gil.

Here's the problem: I don't really want an MMO. The concept has never really appealed to me, but a lot of the best, most beautifully designed and detailed RPG worlds these days tend to be MMOs. (See: Guild Wars 2.) So I'm actually quite happy that you don't need help, because I don't want help. I've invested at least 12-15 hours into the game so far without speaking to a single person, and I honestly rather enjoy it that way.

Now, I fully admit that I'm not who Square wanted, but I'm pretty sure they still don't mind my money either way.

dino1980

i ran every dungeon multiple times for gear, did fates when I levelled, hit every quest on my way to 50 outside of the limsa lominsa starting quests

I ran completely 100% out of quests right before I dinged 47 and had to grind out those 2 levels

that was also with a very large amount of rest xp and using food the entire time

I play at 1440p at 60-70+ fps with no issues even in very big environments

1080p is like 90+fps, ps4 should be able to do that

What components do you have to reach those fps?

Im only getting 40-70fps in 1080p. Got 11200p in the benchmark (maximum 1080p)

GPU: OC 670-card
CPU: OC intel I5-2500k 4.2Ghz
Ram: 8GB

Ravage

The keyboard isn't useless for the PS3 version. It's basically mandatory if you want to communicate with your friends and (to a lesser extent) party members.

Daouzin

Here's the problem: I don't really want an MMO. The concept has never really appealed to me, but a lot of the best, most beautifully designed and detailed RPG worlds these days tend to be MMOs. (See: Guild Wars 2.) So I'm actually quite happy that you don't need help, because I don't want help. I've invested at least 12-15 hours into the game so far without speaking to a single person, and I honestly rather enjoy it that way.

Agreed!

Sounds like the people that are having issues really grinded through the content. I have played this game roughly 10-15 hours a week since it has been released and I'm really enjoying the content. I had a legacy account, but I don't see myself getting any classes to level 50 for at least another month and I started playing this with a level 30 PUG. Though I changed to a level 1 Lancer as soon as I could to get a fresh perspective on the game change/content.

At times I get giddy with excitement with all there is to do and at other times I'm a little overwhelmed with all the stuff I want to do. I haven't done a leve quest yet and I haven't even joined a LS yet. I probably will at some point, but I'm just enjoying the game solo. I've done two Duty finder quests so far and didn't mind waiting 20 minutes for the dungeon since I could work on side quests or my hunting logs or change classes to do some low level Fates while it was looking for people for me to play with.

I pretty much only do NPC quests with a class around the same level. If I'm like 3 or more levels above it I leave it for another class.

Its hard for me to relate with people that must be putting 30+ hours a week into this.

Valnen

It sounds like it runs better than my PC, and I have a 670 and 3570k. Holy shit. Either they're lying or their internal build is WAY more optimized than the client we have now.

Joni

Wondering this as well.
Someone pls answer.

There is a code that ties the game to your account. You're actually purchasing a digital title and the disc only contains the installer which isn't the most recent anyway so you're better off downloading it. Disc is not needed for anything while playing.

JP

Good to hear about the improvements over the PS3 version. I've only played a few hours but I'm really enjoying it and I'm looking forward to upgrading to the PS4 version as soon as it's out.

I wonder how they'll choose who has access to the beta? Hopefully playing the PS3 version, having a launch PS4, being a Plus subscriber and testing the PS3 version will get em in somehow. :)

Seanspeed

Banned
That's quite impressive. Game is quite beautiful on the PC as it is.

If it wasn't a subscription game, I'd love to get into this myself.

Joni

Good to hear about the improvements over the PS3 version. I've only played a few hours but I'm really enjoying it and I'm looking forward to upgrading to the PS4 version as soon as it's out.

I wonder how they'll choose who has access to the beta? Hopefully playing the PS3 version, having a launch PS4, being a Plus subscriber and testing the PS3 version will get em in somehow. :)
I believe you get in if you own the PS3 version. You'll probably need to be paying the subscription for it at that time.

But Microsoft created Direct X how could the PS4 version use the same features!

I may very well end up getting the PS4 version of this as well as Diablo 3

JP

I believe you get in if you own the PS3 version. You'll probably need to be paying the subscription for it at that time.
That would make sense. Although I've not played that much due to not having time I can see myself playing for ages.

It's the Binding Coil of Bahamut. It's a higher tier Dungeon that's actually supposed to follow Crystal Tower progression wise. While CT is meant for 24 players, Binding Coil is meant for only a group of 8. CT won't be in-game till 2.1, so you might see the problem people are having.

I'm honestly not sure I get it.

Mims

I would double dip on this if they can get kb/m controls to work on the Ps4 exactly like it does on the pc.

erawsd

I enjoy the game and I want to see it succeed, but I'm not going pretend like there aren't serious "grindfest" issues with endgame progression and leveling a new class.

It also has nothing to do with "rushing" through it -- whether it takes you a week or a month you'll still spend the same amount of time running CM and AK 30-40 times each until your fingers bleed before anyone would consider taking you into Coil.

Likewise, FATE grinding is the only reliable way of bringing up a second class. Leves provide a pitiful amount of xp and you'll sit in DF queues for 40-60min, so dungeons are not something you can ever rely on.

All that said, 2.1 is a massive patch that should address these issues. 2.1 feels like it is what the game should have been at release. In fact, I almost wish they had extended the length/scope of beta and waited to release with 2.1 content.

Arsenic

Really? Archer plays the same as Marauder? Get out of here.

Read my comment again. Where did I say Archer plays like Marauder? Where did I say they ALL play like one another? I even boiled it down to say theres basically 4-5 classes rather than 8.

And my reply was to someone who thought leveling all 8 classes is something new to do.

Read carefully next time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's quite impressive. Game is quite beautiful on the PC as it is.

If it wasn't a subscription game, I'd love to get into this myself.

I'm highly debating on getting this for PC or PS4 down the line. Maybe with income tax money since I could buy a year at a time for a discount rate.

They do offer a discount for year right?

Arsenic

I'm highly debating on getting this for PC or PS4 down the line. Maybe with income tax money since I could buy a year at a time for a discount rate.

They do offer a discount for year right?

They only go as high as 6 months.

For 8 characters per server:

1 month $14.99
3 months $13.99
6 months $12.99

You get a discount of $12, or one month free basically.

coughlanio

I just ordered the PS3 disk version, only €19.34 at Zavvi with a 10% discount code.

Even better value considering the PS4 client will be free.

PFD

That's impressive, too bad the game is a broken grindfest mess.

You wanna at least elaborate on why you think it is a 'broken grindfest mess'? Because right now your post serves nothing but to shit on this thread

Man, obvious a lot of people in here have barely even played the game. I'm loving it and I even rushed to endgame.

In the past couple weeks I've been:
Gearing up "grinding" tomes
Finishing my relic and relic +1
Beating the HM primals
and finally, wiping over and over and over to Binding Coil bosses.

You haven't reached end game until you're doing Binding Coil. If the tome grind kills you before that, yeeeeah, stop playing and wait till 2.1

SRTtoZ

Just got into FF14 on PC and am lovin it. Feels a lot like WoW combat wise which is a good thing and the game is incredibly polished. Lets see how it goes once I reach end game though because we all know thats what makes or breaks an MMO.

Oh also, its nice that its going to look good on PS4 but I dont know how id feel about an MMO with a controller.

DrDogg

Okay I'll just use all the quests to level them up. Oh...wait. Guess I'll just FATE grind. But of course that doesn't make it a grindfest, right?

You know, I've heard this from a few people here and there, but I have to disagree completely. I'm of the belief that you guys are whining about stuff you could've avoided.

I've play about 6 hours a day (average) since phase 4 began. I have one class at 30 and eight more in the 20s (most above 25). I have felt very little grinding, and I have a TON of quests that I haven't even started because I'm saving them for my ACN (since I want SCH, but not really digging ACN). I hardly do any FATEs unless one pops nearby while I'm in the area for some other reason.

Here's my character for reference: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1550706/

If you choose to grind all the way to cap in a month, that's your choice and you're welcome to it. But don't blame the game because you blazed through the content as quickly as possible on a class or two, just so you could hit 50 ASAP.

Arsenic

You wanna at least elaborate on why you think it is a 'broken grindfest mess'? Because right now your post serves nothing but to shit on this thread

It's been discussed to death already why as to why its considered a grindfest. You come in late without reading the rest of the thread its on you. I myself have made some points and no one has countered them for the most part.

AmyS

Well, this is would be both disappointing and welcome at the same time, if true.

The game director and producer also clarified some details regarding the graphics of “Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn” on the PS4. The video game will be running at 30 frames per second as opposed to 60. Naoki Yoshida explained that the development team wanted to fill the screen with more characters instead of opting for a higher frame rate.

http://www.examiner.com/article/fin...aphics-and-playstation-plus-details-clarified

Half the framerate for more characters on the screen.

For an RPG (any kind of RPG), that's alright I guess. 60 fps is not important, it would just be gravy. Seems they're using PS4's GPU resources for both more on screen characters and 1080p instead.

NastyBook

As long as it's solid, I should be fine. I'm actually having fun just solo'ing the game right now. Waiting on my fanatic friend that bought it for me to get online tonight so we can hit up a dungeon or something. Will definitely download again when I get my PS4.

shwimpy

It's fine. I knew it was a pipe dream from the start. 60fps and 1080p for an MMORPG is pretty unrealistic.

Bought the PS3 version a couple weeks ago during the sale and downloaded the game yet. I can leave the free trial for when I download the PS4 version correct?

RaikuHebi

Banned
d91.gif

Valnen

It's fine. I knew it was a pipe dream from the start. 60fps and 1080p for an MMORPG is pretty unrealistic.

Yeah my PC can't even lock down 60 FPS and it's more powerful than the PS4 by a decent amount. 30 FPS locked is realistic on PS4 hardware I think though.

"Naoki Yoshida confirmed that players won’t need to be a member of Sony’s online service in order to play “Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn” on the PS4. This is because Square Enix managed to strike a deal"

so SE has to pay Sony for it to not require PS+?

"Naoki Yoshida confirmed that players won’t need to be a member of Sony’s online service in order to play “Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn” on the PS4. This is because Square Enix managed to strike a deal"

so SE has to pay Sony for it to not require PS+?

OR forced to make FFXV or KH3 exclusive..

I wish..

Top Bottom