• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Keeping one mana higher than the other only matters when you have VerFlare and VerHoly.

Since they get a proc for 100% Verstone/VerFire if you choose the right one.

Is that bit I posted from the job guide out of date/inaccurate then? It wouldn't be the first time official stuff did not reflect the current state of the game.

I'm done until Cold Steel quest is fixed. I did all side quests I could find. Apparently there is some streamer that is playing with Towelliee and he was clicking the cold steel quest for 5 hours and couldn't get it. I did it for about 20 minutes with no luck.

Annnnd kicked again.

I'll use this time as a chance to write up my impressions of the story so far (Just got past Kagune)

- So far I'm liking it more than early havensward. There is a lot (a LOT) of worldbuilding going on, setting up factions that have history and policies, peoples with different motives and goals. I'm really liking it so far and hope it pays off.

- I'm liking the main party of characters more than heavensward so far as well. Sure, traveling with alph, estinien and ysayle was awesome but the last two would often be wet blankets. This group feels a lot more light hearted.

- Maybe I'm misremembering, but there seems to be a lot more voice acting than in heavenward. Most minor characters are given voices.

Yeah, there's definitely more voice acting. It was explicitly stated that there would be.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I could probably use a break but man, first impressions of stability are pretty shit. =/ When you combine this with a server "upgrade," it seems SE either underestimated things or...kind of screwed up. =P

That said: RDM and SAM are awesome. Great, great fun. RDM feels so smooth.

jtan

So i'm still on the ARR MSQs, is this affecting every dungeon or only the ones in Stormblood :eek:

Just want to know if I should bother logging in later today lol

scy

So i'm still on the ARR MSQs, is this affecting every dungeon or only the ones in Stormblood :eek:

Just want to know if I should bother logging in later today lol

Literally just the one MSQ instance.

Barring general server stability with people DCing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You can tell if you are at the imbalance level based on the color of the gem at the top of the gauge. It will be white or black if it's too high on that end.

I'll have to test it to see if it's a noticeable difference.

Rewind

I have someone new that wants to play but I'm unsure what needs to be bought. I know with stormblood you get HW, is ARR free as well? I'm under the impression it's free but am having a hard time finding out. If so then he would only have to get SB and a sub correct?

iammeiam

I could probably use a break but man, first impressions of stability are pretty shit. =/ When you combine this with a server "upgrade," it seems SE either underestimated things or...kind of screwed up. =P

That said: RDM and SAM are awesome. Great, great fun. RDM feels so smooth.

I think my issue is it's not even just stability? Like 100% of the problem is the solo instance mandate without any ability for the game to queue people for it. The player base tries with self-imposed lines, but it won't work for a combination of reasons (if MSQ instances are per-server, and one of three field instances in your server doesn't line up, your two that line up are getting boned; people cheating in general, etc), and they tell us they have more than enough capacity to handle people but they want to go easy on the servers.

Which is fine, but then what you do is design a way to let people try to progress. 3 hour queue? Sweet, at least it's something. But this isn't really a problem of "wow we're way more popular than we thought!" so much as trying to fill a gas tank by funneling gas through a life saver. This combined with the hash they made of the combat change announcements just feel... slope.

I'll have to test it to see if it's a noticeable difference.

it totally is; after the discrepancy is greater than thirty, the lower Mana generates at half the normal rate until you get back to within thirty.

I have someone new that wants to play but I'm unsure what needs to be bought. I know with stormblood you get HW, is ARR free as well? I'm under the impression it's free but am having a hard time finding out. If so then he would only have to get SB and a sub correct?
You would need base game and stormblood

Been out of the loop for a few months, but opened up my SCH. Got rid of all the red actions that have been removed. For some reason, trying to drag Ruin and Bio 1 onto my hotbar isn't working. It's automatically turning Ruin into Broil and Bio into Bio 2. Am I missing something stupid here? Can you not have weaker variants of spells if you have the stronger one unlocked or something?

Should we not even bother logging in on the 20th? Will the que's be so large, what is the point?
I don't know why people expect it to be that much worse at launch. Chances are people that want to play already have it preordered for the early access. I find it hard to believe someone would wait until the 20th just for shits. Only thing would be new players catching up with the potions if they became interested but certainly again I feel like they'd be in early access. Don't know where people expect this big influx of Stormblood purchases to come from on the 20th.

Capella

They would need to get FFXIV ARR as Stormblood only includes Heavensward. If it's their first time registering the game they can the get FFXIV Complete edition which comes with everything plus the 30 days free.

Haly

Okay, so at imbalanced mana.

Jolt: 3 -> 1 for the mana that's behind
Veraero/thunder: 11 -> 5 for the mana that's behind
Verstone/fire: Unaffected

Which I guess is 50% effectiveness, rounded down.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Been out of the loop for a few months, but opened up my SCH. Got rid of all the red actions that have been removed. For some reason, trying to drag Ruin and Bio 1 onto my hotbar isn't working. It's automatically turning Ruin into Broil and Bio into Bio 2. Am I missing something stupid here? Can you not have weaker variants of spells if you have the stronger one unlocked or something?

Look at your traits, you probably have one that changes Bio to Bio 2. Not sure about broil/ruin.

Okay, so at imbalanced mana.

Jolt: 3 -> 1 for the mana that's behind
Veraero/thunder: 11 -> 5 for the mana that's behind
Verstone/fire: Unaffected

Cool, thanks for the confirmation. It's more than a 50% cut, so it looks like you are going to want to keep that balance.

iammeiam

"Broil Mastery" and "Corruption Mastery" make the buttons change as you level. If you level sync down to something that doesn't have Broil/Bio2 the buttons will automatically go back. They did this to pretty much anything that they decided was a replacement of an earlier skill (Broil will auto-become Broil II at some point).

But yeah, it means the loss of a DoT.

Teknoman

Wow I think Samurai really will be my DPS main. I wanted Monk, but that 20% bloodspray stab is just too cool lol.

Gotta brush up on Paladin again...this feels like going from 1.0 to ARR all over again.

Wilsongt

At this point all I can conclude is bowmage is going to rise from the grave in 5.0 because they're incapable of remembering further back than the last expansion.

In all honestly, I still keep standing still as a bard because I keep thinking I have a cast bar.

Arkeband

Banned
Let this be a lesson to people who actually believed that the real money shop was funding better infrastructure.

Or, inversely, blame players for not heaping enough money on S-E to properly stress test their own product.

So it looks like Red Mage is something that's good for beginners to get into.

The management of white/black mana isn't too complex. It seems the only thing that changes up what you do is VerHoly/Verflare at level 68/70.

Since you will have to decide which one to use after Enhanced Redoublement if you want the Verstone/Verfire proc 100%.

Samurai seems to have a decent dose of complexity at a glance. And it seems like there will be even more once the Kenki gauge and associated abilities are unlocked.

Is that bit I posted from the job guide out of date/inaccurate then? It wouldn't be the first time official stuff did not reflect the current state of the game.

What I posted has to do with keeping one mana higher than the other at 80+. It only matters for using VerFlare/VerHoly after Enhanced Redoublement. which you won't get until level 68/70.

Haly

Let this be a lesson to people who actually believed that the real money shop was funding better infrastructure.

Or, inversely, blame players for not heaping enough money on S-E to properly stress test their own product.

It's funding infrastructure
for FFXV's online components.

iammeiam

FFXIV Producer and Director Yoshida here.

I would like to explain the current congestion issue regarding instanced battle content, including the Stormblood main scenario quest ”Best Served with Cold Steel," due to the Duty Finder crashes at the start of early access.

As announced earlier, there are a huge number of players currently playing Stormblood, and as a result, the servers continue to experience a large amount of stress. For this reason, we are currently limiting the number of players that can enter instanced content so that it does not lead to major server crashes.

However, this has caused massive congestion to enter instanced content and I would like to sincerely apologize for this.

If you are unable to enter instanced battle content, we ask you to please wait and try again at a later time. We understand that this unfairly places the burden on our players, but we require more time until the issue can be resolved. We continue to work on measures to address this issue and will follow up once we have an update.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this level of congestion occurring during early access when many of our players are the most excited to play.

Everyone on the team will continue to put in our full effort to ensure an enjoyable gaming experience, and I would like to thank you for your continued support.

"Please just stop playing our game."

I have so many followup questions. But yoshida said words so I assume we're all placated

Quick questions:
If I had stormblood on PS4 but not steam but I shared a character - what happens then ?
Also - if I already have the game and a low level character, do I get that sub level 25 free sub ?

Anoregon

So, how hard is it to play SAM? Reading the skills sounded that basic rotation was a bit complicated, do they feel natural?

Haven't tried it yet myself, but it seems the general consensus is that it sounds more complicated on paper than it actually is to play.

KanameYuuki

Haven't tried it yet myself, but it seems the general consensus is that it sounds more complicated on paper than it actually is to play.

SAM is pretty easy and pretty innovative, works good.
Red Mage is much harder in my opinion.

Pretty good then, gonna give it a shot and see if it will replace MNK as my DPS class, I thought Red Mage was gonna be the easier one quite interesting to know that.

iammeiam

Bandaging fixes while keeping the servers up just seems counter intuitive at this point.

Although taking them down leads to the same problems when they go back up.

Honestly what bugs me the most is that it's not all instanced battle content--like, if they had a very narrow window to fit people through, it wouldn't just be the one quest that's a problem. But it's not, they're limiting per-content which means the content that gets hit the most--the super-early mandatory MSQ thing--is getting backed up, but stuff after it is fine because almost nobody's hitting that. Job quests seem to be functioning fine after the initial issues. The non-solo instances are fine. There's an insanely specific bottleneck they've created, that 2.0 should have alerted them to, and like eight hours later all they can do is repeat the statement from this morning but put Yoshida's name on it so it feels personal.

The whole mess would feel a little less annoying if it was just straight borked instances across the board, but the way this has broken just makes no sense. The servers expected us to all log in, they had a plan in place expecting to need to shard across across multiple instances of a zone, they block most stuff behind the main story... and are then shocked when people try to do it? But then they planned HW around avoiding exactly this kind of thing.

Maybe aliens abducted Yoshida mid-HW. Maybe that's what happened.

Really I think most of my salt is that if you had plans to do stuff with other people, the stupid instance is fucking them up. Not allowed to go in as a group, have to go in solo, but have to do the solo thing to get to the group thing. It'd be less frustrating on some level if we were all in the same boat, but it's turning into RNG divisions for no reason.

Top Bottom