• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC/PS4, no PS3) announced, first info [Up: Trailer]

Mcdohl

Considering I love the timeline and the entire Hyrule Historia, sure. That sounds great, honestly. I know it sounds like I'm being contrarian for the sake of it but that really is my honest opinion. The VII/X and the Tactics/XII connections are some of the coolest things in the FF series. It makes the worlds feel more realized.

Lol, no worries, it's perfectly fine to have a different opinion from mine.

I personally do not like afterthought universes because it can potentially lead to a lot of retcons, inconsistencies (for example, if VII is the same universe as X, how come the whole concept of summoning is entirely different?), sometimes the gaps are filled with less than stellar ideas, and the worst offender: it can limit creative freedom because now you have added a ton of constraints on top of your game.

All of the concerns mentioned above have solutions, but they can be very hard to address, and it probably can not be done without angering/alienating part of the fanbase.

Just look at the story and writing in Dissidia, which semi joins the FF worlds.

~Cross~

Do you want the FF series to suffer the same fate as the Zelda series with a timeline
that we all know was a complete afterthought
?

All Final Fantasies are already related. No need to try and hammer in a timeline though, because each has their own independent timeline. Dissidia already made the concept of the Void an universal constant thats the same on all FFs and FFXIV expands on that idea.

Lucael

Why no mage though? They saying mage class not sexy enough for poster boy?

Because mages are already "cool" for most people :p I have this personal theory of mine: they use the most underrated and "outsider" job for expansion promotional stuff. In a period in which Dragoon were considered lolDRG they came out with Heavensward trailer. Obviously it's a coincidence but for me it was like: "You make fun of DRG? Then get an expansion full of them!".

Last time I played monk was one a not so popular class.

Gaffi

Because mages are already "cool" for most people :p I have this personal theory of mine: they use the most underrated and "outsider" job for expansion promotional stuff. In a period in which Dragoon were considered lolDRG they came out with Heavensward trailer. Obviously it's a coincidence but for me it was like: "You make fun of DRG? Then get an expansion full of them!".

DRG was my choice of class b/c I've always thought of them as 'cool' but then they were made fun of by FFXIV players for a variety of reasons. Was so glad when I got an expansion all to my self haha.

They aren't going to give us a race like the Bangaa that deviates too much from a humanoid shape, because it'll be too hard to conform all the gear between them.

I would love to see the Burmecian rat race from FFIX in FFXIV. They're humanoid, just with a long nose and backwards knees.

Or the Hippo people, like Hippaul.

Yeah, every race shares the same armor (except lalafell) and combat animation. They couldn't afford to make a unique armor set and/or animation for a non-humanoid race. Well, maybe they could but they wouldn't.

Shahed

While this may fit, lore and the story are the reasons. If you're going to Ishgard and taking part in the Dragonsong War, Dragoon is the obvious choice. Monks camefrom Al Mihgo and the original MNK questline up to Lv 50 is all about the Ala Mihgo resistance and how the MNK version of Estinien wants to get stronger to take it back from the Garleans.

Besides they plan story, setting and expansion content on like a rolling 2 year timeline. There's no way they'd know what the community would settle on as the optimal party configuration. It's just a coincidence. At least MNK at 60 can offer sheer raw damage.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder how gigantic the Ala Mhigo region is going to be in proportion to it's size on the map compared to the other nations.

Allard

I wonder how gigantic the Ala Mhigo region is going to be in proportion to it's size on the map compared to the other nations.

Its the biggest unknown at the moment, we really haven't gotten anything other than a large hamlet (super large compared to other ones in this game) and one large field area next to East Shroud. When Heavensward info first came out, we at least got a small preview of Dravanian Forelands and Coerthas Western Highlands. They said we would get no less then the same amount of areas as Heavensward got, so if it is the same amount in field areas we should have 8 coming at minimum. There is some belief based on the prophecy earlier this year plus the proximity location and Yoshida's own statements over the years that we might be getting some water areas too, and if so that could be announced at the Tokyo Fanfest like how flying was announced at the Europe Fanfest and they showed off Sea of Clouds zone and the Churning Mists. Hell he has also talked about wanting to go to the moon in the game, so that could be in this game as a special location, we also don't know if the Forebidden land of Eureka will be a special open zone or an instance place like Diadem was and whether not Yoshida considers it as part of the "No less than heavensward" or not. So basically, we don't even know if its just going to be Gyr Abania, we could even add Xelphatol as Yoshida has already said the dungeon is not meant to take away from the entire region, just that the Ixali settlement has the same name as the region and it was just a small part of it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
damn, i need to purchase expansions for both pc & ps4?

anyone think they'll do a sale for heavansward when this drops? i really miss this game

also - housing is still impossible for casuals right?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
damn, i need to purchase expansions for both pc & ps4?

anyone think they'll do a sale for heavansward when this drops? i really miss this game
Yeah if you're planning on playing on both platforms.

It's been on sale at least three times in the last two months going down as low as $10. You should try to grab it next time they do one instead of waiting for launch cause they'll probably just keep it at $20 and bundle it with the base game or $60 for all three.
also - housing is still impossible for casuals right?

They've added apartments in the last patch which don't have exteriors you can customize but are something if all you care about is the interior. Auto demolition of abandoned housing has also been added and the expansion will have have a new residential area which means around 1000 new homes per server up for grabs.

Kalentan

Yeah if you're planning on playing on both platforms.

It's been on sale at least three times in the last two months going down as low as $10. You should try to grab it next time they do one instead of waiting for launch cause they'll probably just keep it at $20 and bundle it with the base game or $60 for all three.

They've added apartments in the last patch which don't have exteriors you can customize but are something if all you care about is the interior. Auto demolition of abandoned housing has also been added and the expansion will have have a new residential area which means around 1000 new homes per server up for grabs.

Is your second quote you quoted from another thread?

Garlador

One of my favorites is the FATE, "No Ifs, Ands, or Butts" involving Alaimbert of the Spiked Butt.

Choice quotes:
"You have tasted my spear, but are you ready for my butt?"
"Like the majestic Coerthan Puffer, I swell!"
"With a spear as stiff as ice, I thrust!"
"Like the surging waters of the mighty Coerthas, I come!"
"With butt in hand and you by my side there are none who might stand in our way!"

tumblr_nrukieey4z1u0hpnxo2_1280.jpg

I remember this FATE cracked me up (no pun intended).

Top Bottom