• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC/PS4, no PS3) announced, first info [Up: Trailer]

Guess Who

Banned
Do we have details on what the revamped combat system entails?

Primarily they've talked about wanting to streamline rotations, as they feel level 60 rotations for many jobs are too complex and difficult to keep up in the face of mechanics for many players, as well as giving job and ability-specific UI elements (one example Yoshi-P gave was that, for instance, a Dragoon might have a dedicated Blood of the Dragon meter instead of having to watch their buff bar), revamping the cross-class skill system to make certain skills tied to roles instead of classes, and reworking or removing skills that are highly situational or rarely used.

Primarily they've talked about wanting to streamline rotations

a Dragoon might have a dedicated Blood of the Dragon meter instead of having to watch their buff bar

11sBLVxNs7v6WA.gif

I'm Dragooning and feel overwhelmed at 53. And I haven't even gotten Blood of the Dragon yet.

Firebrand

Ok, well, took the plundge!

Bought the FFXIV Realm Reborn + Heavensward pack (in promo for 54% less).

Which world\server shall I choose? I'm in Europe, Portugal.

Is there a community thread here on GAF?

I'm enjoying Cerberus. I'd check first to see which ones are the de-facto RP, French/German etc servers first.

Garlador

Ah, important question!

How is the Lore in FFXIV?

Will I be exploring the world and find amazing little lore details?

I personally find the Lore fantastic.

They're supposedly making an in-depth Lore Encyclopedia book for next year, and I'll be all over it. As great as the lore is, it's ridiculously in-depth and I tend to forget what's what if I take an extended break over time.

Guess Who

Banned
They're supposedly making an in-depth Lore Encyclopedia book for next year, and I'll be all over it. As great as the lore is, it's ridiculously in-depth and I tend to forget what's what if I take an extended break over time.

The book is done, actually. They sold copies at FanFest and it was briefly available for sale on the Square-Enix website today before selling out incredibly quickly.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/pr...ia-eorzea-the-world-of-final-fantasy-xiv-book

Taruranto

Ah, important question!

They filled the game world with sex jokes and Featuring X stuff from <insert FF> , the game world doesn't really feel like a world as much a collection of FF Greatest Hits. But I suppose it's what sell these days.

Every dungeon is instanced so doesn't expect much.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I personally find the Lore fantastic.

The book is done, actually. They sold copies at FanFest and it was briefly available for sale on the Square-Enix website today before selling out incredibly quickly.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/pr...ia-eorzea-the-world-of-final-fantasy-xiv-book

Yup. I snagged my copy. Sold out in 30 minutes. I bought mine 22 minutes in. Glad I bought it at work instead of waiting to get home.

~Cross~

They filled the game world with sex jokes and Featuring X stuff from <insert FF> , the game world doesn't really feel like a world as much a collection of FF Greatest Hits. But I suppose it's what sell these days.

Every dungeon is instanced so doesn't expect much.

Nonesense, they wouldn't be able to put out a 300 page book with just a portion of the world building if thats the case.

The only FF that might have more lore is FFXI, but given time FFXIV will easily surpass it. We are talking about the history of fallen civilizations, the nations that sprout up from their collapse, the migration of its people from the collapse of THOSE nations. Each race having their own creation myths that correlate with other races myths.

Now look at the general "lore" behind summons in other FFs and compare them to FFXIV. You could probably write a few paragraphs at most from most other FFs summons. You could probably dedicate like 20 pages of a book to how it works in FFXIV.

if they end up announcing samurai i'm in. well i'm already gonna play it but i'll be extra in

i wish the cross class thing were more like ffxi

SilverArrow20XX

Lol. You and me both. Can't believe I missed it. Didn't even know it was done and even released. I guess I was hoping/expecting it to show up on Amazon.

Yeah. There wasn't even a clear release date until AFTER it sold out. It went up for preorder earlier today, with a placeholder date of December 2017. Then the date changed to today a few minutes later. Then after it sold out, my delivery status changed to 'Shipping".

~Cross~

W-what? There's one postmoogle quest which is full of innuendo, but otherwise I haven't seem any sex jokes. What game did you play?

A none insignificant amount of the NPC banter around towns is about sex. Specially in Limsa. Its none existent in main story quests and only a very very small portion of side quests have any innuendo at all.

Sure they stand out more, but we are talking about thousands of lines of texts. Some of them are going to deal with sex.

Mcdohl

W-what? There's one postmoogle quest which is full of innuendo, but otherwise I haven't seem any sex jokes. What game did you play?

Yeah, that quest is a great example:

But the game does have a lot of sexual jokes/references:

Maybe:

Guess Who

Banned
There's like six bajillion lines of text in this game, only stands to reason there's gonna be a few dick jokes. It's not so often that it stands out as being excessive.

The only FF that might have more lore is FFXI, but given time FFXIV will easily surpass it. We are talking about the history of fallen civilizations, the nations that sprout up from their collapse, the migration of its people from the collapse of THOSE nations. Each race having their own creation myths that correlate with other races myths. .

FFXI has more lore to it than XIV does right now. Though XI has been going on for well over a decade now, so there's that.

Yeah, that quest is a great example:

But the game does have a lot of sexual jokes/references:

I see. I've honestly never noticed most of those lines, except for Trachtoum's which I do remember. But then I barely pay attention to the ambient pop-up dialogue and the few instances of those I have noticed have been innocuous. At any rate, while the English localizers are obviously jokesters, given the amount of puns and references they cram into quest titles, I think it's misleading to use some scattered throwaway lines to characterize the game as sex-obsessed.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Primarily they've talked about wanting to streamline rotations, as they feel level 60 rotations for many jobs are too complex and difficult to keep up in the face of mechanics for many players, as well as giving job and ability-specific UI elements (one example Yoshi-P gave was that, for instance, a Dragoon might have a dedicated Blood of the Dragon meter instead of having to watch their buff bar), revamping the cross-class skill system to make certain skills tied to roles instead of classes, and reworking or removing skills that are highly situational or rarely used.
Where can I find this kind of information?

royox

Ah, important question!

Enormous. Once you become one of the Scions (a group in the game) the game's lore gets catapulted and there's no stop.

Also if you played other games of the franchise you will find references EVERYWHERE, literally.

Where can I find this kind of information?

He said it live during the Fan Fest and gave the DRG example.

TalonJH

You know, I think I would've really preferred if
they had used our personal WoL character model to represent the WoD, since presumably we were supposed to see him as an analog to the generic WoL/Derplander, at least in a visual sense
. I wonder if there's a story-related reason they didn't.

They probably didn't want to do that because
what you are asking for Is used for the Dark Knight quest line.

Einhander

About other locations in the game:

Do we know anything about the southeastern region, Paglth'an? How about the continents of Othard, Ilsebard, Mercydia and The Old World?

SkyOdin

About other locations in the game:

Do we know anything about the southeastern region, Paglth'an? How about the continents of Othard, Ilsebard, Mercydia and The Old World?
Paglth'an is the homeland of the Amala'ja, much as how Xelphatol is the home of the Ixal. It is probably arid like Thanalan, since the Amala'ja are literally allergic to water.

Ilseberd is the northern continent of the Three Great Continents, and is where Garlemald is located. Othard is the eastern one of the three continents, and it is mostly under Garlean rule now. Doma is at the far end of Othard, I believe. Not much is known about the geography of the other continents, but they are likely similar in size and diversity to Eorzea.

Einhander

Paglth'an is the homeland of the Amala'ja, much as how Xelphatol is the home of the Ixal. It is probably arid like Thanalan, since the Amala'ja are literally allergic to water.

Ilseberd is the northern continent of the Three Great Continents, and is where Garlemald is located. Othard is the eastern one of the three continents, and it is mostly under Garlean rule now. Doma is at the far end of Othard, I believe. Not much is known about the geography of the other continents, but they are likely similar in size and diversity to Eorzea.

I see.

What are the smaller islands near Paglth'an named? I think it's an archipelago. I've heard it's the homeland of the lalafells. That would be the perfect location for sea-based mounts.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Viera and Ban'gaa for ivalice expansion
If Eorzea and Ivalice turned out to be in the same world I'd love this game unconditionally. Rozarria expansion set in FFXII times? Yes please.

Never gonna happen, though.

Also, I never saw a single sex joke in game until that post. Maybe I just conveniently missed them all?

suzu

Ok, well, took the plundge!

Bought the FFXIV Realm Reborn + Heavensward pack (in promo for 54% less).

Which world\server shall I choose? I'm in Europe, Portugal.

Is there a community thread here on GAF?

OT is here.

If Eorzea and Ivalice turned out to be in the same world I'd love this game unconditionally. Rozarria expansion set in FFXII times? Yes please.

Also, I never saw a single sex joke in game until that post. Maybe I just conveniently missed them all?

YoshiP is a fan of Matsuno though, so at least we'll likely get more references and cameos (mostly from Tactics Ogre so far?).

SilverArrow20XX

Othard or Ilsabard, however, does have a country called Rabanastre, another called Dalmasca. It is not Ivalice, but there are clearly Ivalice reference regions. If there are to be Vierra, I bet they'll be from there.

Ceravic

I'm pretty hyped for this. End game always burns me out but a new expansion always reinvigorates me. I posted this in the community thread but figured I might here too:

Anyone on Sargatanas that has a FC that's active later at night? Coming back to get caught up and my FC that I have been in since 1.0 is now down to 6 people total. I love those 6 people, but I've not had an active FC since the start of 2.0 and I'm ready to actually progress in things and staying in touch with them is what linkshells are for.

Mcdohl

No, please keep FF entries completely disconnected. FFXIV already has some identity problems.

That's also why I hope they drop the FNC stuff from XV, and also why I choose to completely deny the afterthought of "FF VII being a sequel to FF X". Fuck that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No, please keep FF entries completely disconnected. FFXIV already has some identity problems.

That's also why I hope they drop the FNC stuff from XV, and also why I choose to completely deny the afterthought of "FF VII being a sequel to FF X". Fuck that.
I couldn't have a more opposite opinion. lol

Yeah, but Bangaa race! Fuck the Vierra though. I don't need another "human, but with different ears" race in FFXIV. Give me lobster people. If they add another underwhelming race like the Au-Ra in Stormblood, I'm gonna be super disappointed. I know people like the Au-Ra, but without the horns they could just past for Huyr. And no one cares about the horns, they just like the anime look of them.

AgeEighty

They aren't going to give us a race like the Bangaa that deviates too much from a humanoid shape, because it'll be too hard to conform all the gear between them.

I would love to see the Burmecian rat race from FFIX in FFXIV. They're humanoid, just with a long nose and backwards knees.

Or the Hippo people, like Hippaul.

Lucael

11sBLVxNs7v6WA.gif

I'm Dragooning and feel overwhelmed at 53. And I haven't even gotten Blood of the Dragon yet.

Don't bother too much with the rotation until you reach 60, Geirskogul changes totally your playstyle and the way you think of your rotation. It's going to be brutal at beginning but just practice and follow the advices of other fellow Dragoons in the official forum (there's a whole thread on Dragoon, the best one in the DPS forum).

I see. I've honestly never noticed most of those lines, except for Trachtoum's which I do remember. But then I barely pay attention to the ambient pop-up dialogue and the few instances of those I have noticed have been innocuous. At any rate, while the English localizers are obviously jokesters, given the amount of puns and references they cram into quest titles, I think it's misleading to use some scattered throwaway lines to characterize the game as sex-obsessed.

One of my favorites is the FATE, "No Ifs, Ands, or Butts" involving Alaimbert of the Spiked Butt.

Choice quotes:
"You have tasted my spear, but are you ready for my butt?"
"Like the majestic Coerthan Puffer, I swell!"
"With a spear as stiff as ice, I thrust!"
"Like the surging waters of the mighty Coerthas, I come!"
"With butt in hand and you by my side there are none who might stand in our way!"

tumblr_nrukieey4z1u0hpnxo2_1280.jpg

Mcdohl

Just for the record I didn't mean to say the game is sex-obsessed. It certainly isn't. I was just answering directly to this:

///

I couldn't have a more opposite opinion. lol

Do you want the FF series to suffer the same fate as the Zelda series with a timeline
that we all know was a complete afterthought
?

Yeah, but Bangaa race! Fuck the Vierra though. I don't need another "human, but with different ears" race in FFXIV. Give me lobster people. If they add another underwhelming race like the Au-Ra in Stormblood, I'm gonna be super disappointed. I know people like the Au-Ra, but without the horns they could just past for Huyr. And no one cares about the horns, they just like the anime look of them.

Au-Ra are not my favorite design either, but I'm happy it's a new race, and helps XIV differentiate itself from XI.

SolVanderlyn

Do you want the FF series to suffer the same fate as the Zelda series with a timeline
that we all know was a complete afterthought
?
Considering I love the timeline and the entire Hyrule Historia, sure. That sounds great, honestly. I know it sounds like I'm being contrarian for the sake of it but that really is my honest opinion. The VII/X and the Tactics/XII connections are some of the coolest things in the FF series. It makes the worlds feel more realized.

Hikami

Having finished FFX recently (made we want to play more FF) and now seeing this trailer.. Maybe I'll finally give this game a try.

Gaffi

Considering I love the timeline and the entire Hyrule Historia, sure. That sounds great, honestly. I know it sounds like I'm being contrarian for the sake of it but that really is my honest opinion. The VII/X and the Tactics/XII connections are some of the coolest things in the FF series. It makes the worlds feel more realized.

There is also a supposed connection between III and VIII which I thought was fun to read about. Even if not intended it's cool to find plausibility.

Top Bottom