• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC/PS4, no PS3) announced, first info [Up: Trailer]

Cathcart

So, after two weeks of playing you're expecting to have cleared all the content of 2.0 we got in two years?
Not at all, and I shouldn't have to. Once I'm at the previous level cap and have purchased the expansion there should be a quick catch up quest and then send me off to the expansion. Instead I'm forced to complete 100 quests, most of which are fetch quests or teleport around the world to talk to three people and then tell back to the quest giver. That filler content would have been fine if I had been playing when 2.1 came out and had nothing more to do but at this point it just a waste of time and gives very little reward.

I'll admit, the new dungeon and group content in the post 2.0 patches has been very good, and I'd be fine with an abbreviated version of the quest line that hits the major points, but I literally did a quest this week that was "go get that box over there" followed by "oh a few things fell out while you were walking it to me, go pick them up." Sadly, that's what passes for quest design for 80% of the time I've played this week.

With all due respect, just take your time and enjoy the game :)
Trying to, but this part isn't enjoyable.

Unfortunately for me the one class I was really drawn to when I started looking into the game is locked behind 3.0 (Astrologian). So it's a little frustrating that I have to go through so much after hitting 50 just so I can go back to level 30 and start with the job I want to play while my friends will probably keep going straight to 60. But that's mostly me putting too much pressure on myself to keep up. Oh well.

Mcdohl

If playing the game sounds like suffering to you, that's probably the right decision.

I never understand why people want to skip the meaningful content. The endgame isn't supposed to be the main draw. The game is an ongoing journey, not a race to a destination.

That's how you can tell when someone is addicted to MMOs :p

Just kidding...

Some people are more into the challenge and teamwork oriented aspects of the game. The story is secondary to them. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm with you though, I love the journey.

Ploid 3.0

wow, I'm not sure I want to suffer through this.

Yeah, well dang. They should change it so you only need a minimum to start the expansion stuff. Like up until Titan to start Heavensward, and up to whatever to start Stormblood. :\

And I just found out classes are locked behind the expansion zones? I figured they would allow them to be unlocked if you have the expansion because I thought NIN was part of heavensward for some reason (my mistake). It makes perfect sense, but with the road to the expansions, having that filler, it's a bit much.

I remember really hating that I needed to do dungeons to unlock my Egi's on SMN. When I got Garuda I quit them all (mission progress) and never looked back.

suzu

They're probably going to figure out a way for new players to access the new expansion more easily.

If you care about experiencing all of XIV's main storylines though, now is a fine time to jump in.

Also yeah, not every sidequest is going to be an epic tale. If you hate doing them, you can grind out your levels in other ways and just stick to main story quests for progression / unlocking things.

Garlador

What are FATES?

FATEs or Full Active Time Events are dynamic scenarios, often battles, that appear around Eorzea's regions.
fate1.jpg

They are often the fastest and most efficient way to get experience quickly and easily outside of daily challenges. Because many FATEs drop lots of experience, minions, or valuable crafting items, FATE Parties are often group parties you can join where you and several adventures together tackle FATEs ridiculously fast and easily before moving on to the next FATE that spawns in the area.

They're great ways to level up if you're near or at the recommended level for that area's particular FATEs, and since so many people are always starting the game or starting new classes, there's rarely a shortage of people for any area willing to help out and blow through FATEs for a few hours at a time.

Cathcart

Also yeah, not every sidequest is going to be an epic tale.
Yeah, that's the problem, though. These aren't side quests, they are unskippable main line story quests that you have to complete to access the xpac. Quest after quest of "teleport across the world and talk to a guy, then come back." The big story quests that send you to an 8 man primal fight are good but you spend hours doing menial tasks that reward you with almost no money or xp to get there.

I know I'm being extra whiny in the thread, sorry if that offends some people. I do like playing the rest of the game but I feel like I have so much to slog through just to unlock the class and content I want to be playing.

suzu

Yeah, that's the problem, though. These aren't side quests, they are unskippable main line story quests that you have to complete for the main story. Quest after quest of "teleport across the world and talk to a guy, then come back." The big story quests that send you to an 8 man primal fight are good but you spend hours doing menial tasks that reward you with almost no money or xp to get there.

I know I'm being extra whiny in the thread, sorry if that offends some people. I do like playing the rest of the game but I feel like I have so much to slog through just to unlock the class and content I want to be playing.

Nah, you're not being whiny. A lot of us hate that "teleport back and forth" too. A Realm Reborn does have a problem with that kinda thing. *shakes fist angrily at Minfilia*

Just wondering, if I want to get back to FF 14, should I get Heavensward now? Even though I'm no where near finished with A Realm Reborn? Last time I played ARR up to level 25 before I stop because I was too busy at the time.

Or should I just stick with ARR until certain level before buying Heavensward?

khaaan

I think I still have a couple months in my sub left but the grind finally got to me and I think I'm off the game...but man, Square really knows how to hype you up with a CG trailer.

Just wondering, if I want to get back to FF 14, should I get Heavensward now? Even though I'm no where near finished with A Realm Reborn? Last time I played ARR up to level 25 before I stop because I was too busy at the time.

I imagine the expansion will only get cheaper so I don't see a reason to run out an buy it unless you want to start a new character running with one of the new races/jobs. I did reach level 50 a decent ways before I hit the final quests of the base game so it might save you time to get the expansion and continue your leveling to 60.

If you know for sure you'll play Heavensward, you can get pick it up if you wish. You do get experience towards level 60 when you're doing all the level 50 quests from the end of 2.0 to 2.55 with it. However, if you're in no rush, I say you can pick up Heavensward when you're nearing the end of 2.55 material.

The only other incentive to pick up Heavensward early would be if you really want to play as an Au Ra (the new playable race).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Question about Heavensward. Did they make the open world somewhat challenging to explore? I was told that SE was looking into the open world. If they did make the world challenging I hope they put valuable materials behind them for crafting stuff, though I'd imagine it wouldn't last long with how fast gear would be outclassed (I wonder if Alchemy is king in this game, would people even need it though). I would have played a lot longer if challenging monsters dropped things that were worth farming. I mainly killed Apkallu for their eggs in trains, the challenge was shooing people away from my camp somehow, and killing fast enough that I could have them all.

One of my best times was when I crossed a type of Hunt monster for the first time by mistake. I was bored, just sitting at Camp Tranquil in South Shroud. I started fixing my macros and button layout on monk 47ish. I saw a ffxi damselfly and didn't realize it wasn't normal for a while, and it eventually killed me. I then revenge killed it many times until I realized how worthless it all was (sadly my first FFXIV revenge kill I think. Maybe a big FATE but that's a zone event and I can blame everyone else). It woke me up, and I had fun for a bit. I also loved the hunter journal thing while I was leveling up at the beginning, but that was killed when I made it to the monsters that were locked behind dungeons. SE and their darn dungeons!!! I hear you can enter them solo now at least.

I know the topic of the challenge presented in the open world is a touchy subject, aka tedious, and annoying, just like elemental resistances. I'm just curious, and it's ok if it's the same as ARR base game. And for what it's worth, I agree that elemental resistances probably wouldn't work in ffxiv with it's gcd and circular rotation, fixed sort of simon says gameplay. Also classes already have limited spells as it is. I did sort of like BLM's Ice Fire rotation, mana goes up and down so fast, free casts, and such, it got old to me eventually though. The same for the other class rotations. Maybe if I try it again I won't mind it as much after such a long break. I did not like the monk stacks thing, dodging things and being forced to lose them make me cry. The odd thing is I've played other games with GCD and they seemed ok to me. It's probably just the design of the gameplay with the constant moving around to dodge things.
I wouldn't go as far to call it challenging but while lving it is a bit more difficult to traverse through the zones than what it was in the ARR zones. Enemies hit harder, flight has to be unlocked in each zone, and the unfamiliarity of it all will get you killed every now and again.

As for farming open world monsters for valuable items, the game sort of has that now. They added airship exploration around 3.2, it basically consisted of going to an instanced zone (72 player cap iirc) about the size of an open world zone and farming suped up monsters for gear or trying to avoid them while gathering.

8MLMgOB.jpg

It was a complete and utter flop. People ran it for the first month or so and then got completely bored of how it was designed. They've been working on revamping it since then and have scheduled the new version of it for 3.5 early next year.

You should try getting BLM at 60, the new rotation its a bit more engaging than the old 50 rotation.

If you know for sure you'll play Heavensward, you can get pick it up if you wish. You do get experience towards level 60 when you're doing all the level 50 quests from the end of 2.0 to 2.55 with it. However, if you're in no rush, I say you can pick up Heavensward when you're nearing the end of 2.55 material.

The only other incentive to pick up Heavensward early would be if you really want to play as an Au Ra (the new playable race).
Thanks, looks like I'll just stick with ARR until maybe when I'm nearing lv 50 or almost finished with ARR.

Arkeband

Banned
Nah, you're not being whiny. A lot of us hate that "teleport back and forth" too. A Realm Reborn does have a problem with that kinda thing. *shakes fist angrily at Minfilia*

Heavensward is exactly the same, except with the added frustration of finding things on a Z axis with inadequate maps.

They did a better job of making some story quests more interactive and the latest patch had a pretty cool unique fight, but yeah, the quest system is something else that needs a giant overhaul. Forcing people to experience a questline no matter how exciting by teleporting from one end of the map to another hundreds of times is just asinine.

The best thing WoW did with questing is making evolving quests that can be turned in and progresses on-the-fly and phasing areas so you can see the difference you're making. They've already done something like this with beast tribes so they need to take that and apply it to the rest of the game.

Gaffi

Heavensward is exactly the same, except with the added frustration of finding things on a Z axis with inadequate maps.

They did a better job of making some story quests more interactive and the latest patch had a pretty cool unique fight, but yeah, the quest system is something else that needs a giant overhaul. Forcing people to experience a questline no matter how exciting by teleporting from one end of the map to another hundreds of times is just asinine.

The best thing WoW did with questing is making evolving quests that can be turned in and progresses on-the-fly and phasing areas so you can see the difference you're making. They've already done something like this with beast tribes so they need to take that and apply it to the rest of the game.
I've been enjoying the game since 2.0 and this is one of the bigger cons I've found. More often than not you can find what your looking for but there have been a few times where a simple up or down indicator would have done wonders...

I'd love to see more instancing as well. The beast tribe ones are definitely a good step in that direction. They've also been doing it somewhat in the endgame zones but that's for everyone on a patch by patch basis so if your lttp you'll only see the latest version.

Kalentan

So in ARR and Heavensward they used the design for the CGI character that would eventually be used for the
Warrior of Darkness
, does that mean they're replacing it or was the character in the trailer them?

So in ARR and Heavensward they used the design for the CGI character that would eventually be used for the
Warrior of Darkness

Spoilery stuff:
Warrior of Darkness is an alternate reality version of the CG Midlander.

Arkeband

Banned
I've been enjoying the game since 2.0 and this is one of the bigger cons I've found. More often than not you can find what your looking for but there have been a few times where a simple up or down indicator would have done wonders...

I'd love to see more instancing as well. The beast tribe ones are definitely a good step in that direction. They've also been doing it somewhat in the endgame zones but that's for everyone on a patch by patch basis so if your lttp you'll only see the latest version.

Well that's not really instancing, it's just straight up modifying the gameworld.

Kalentan

Spoilery stuff:

Oh I know.
I just thought that since they did that they were going to replace the CGI one to avoid confusion from people. Who'd go: "Wait didn't we send them back to their world?"

SkyOdin

Warrior of Darkness
They have been using the Generic Hyur Midlander design ever since 1.0 launched, really. That character in the trailer is definitly the same Warrior of Light from before. He has just switched to being a Monk.

BlueWord

Spoilery stuff:

You know, I think I would've really preferred if
they had used our personal WoL character model to represent the WoD, since presumably we were supposed to see him as an analog to the generic WoL/Derplander, at least in a visual sense
. I wonder if there's a story-related reason they didn't.

ebil

they had used our personal WoL character model to represent the WoD
The reason is that
they're completely separate characters from another world (the First). Not an alternate reality, another world entirely.
They talked about it briefly in today's Lore panel and made it very clear.

BlueWord

The reason is that
they're completely separate characters from another world. Not an alternate reality, another world entirely.

I see, well that does change my whole perspective on them a little bit. Makes me a little disappointed they didn't come up with new designs for the WoD, as opposed to essentially recycling Derplander and co.

Boss Man

Yeah, that's the problem, though. These aren't side quests, they are unskippable main line story quests that you have to complete to access the xpac. Quest after quest of "teleport across the world and talk to a guy, then come back." The big story quests that send you to an 8 man primal fight are good but you spend hours doing menial tasks that reward you with almost no money or xp to get there.

IMO the best compromise would be to make all of the existing MSQ skippable (you can just select a skip option and receive the rewards) -except- for quests that include instanced fights (maybe including the solo ones too, idk).

That would allow everyone catch up in a practical amount of time, keep all of the old content and dungeons relevant, and provide the experience players need to learn the game.

Arkeband

Banned
IMO the best compromise would be to make all of the existing MSQ skippable (you can just select a skip option and receive the rewards) -except- for quests that include instanced fights (maybe including the solo ones too, idk).

That would allow everyone catch up in a practical amount of time, keep all of the old content and dungeons relevant, and provide the experience players need to learn the game.

One upside of gating content behind an obnoxious amount of catch up is that it dramatically hinders botting. So if they allow people to skip 2.1-2.5, I wouldn't mind if they sped up some of the HW 3.1-3.5, but it being there does serve a functional purpose.

Darte

they had used our personal WoL character model to represent the WoD, since presumably we were supposed to see him as an analog to the generic WoL/Derplander, at least in a visual sense

Regarding WoD...

I bet what we're seeing in the CGI cut scenes is the past. The WoD as he is living his adventure as his world's WoL. The WoD that we see are the ones at the end of the adventure where darkness has been banished and light is threatening the world.

ebil

Regarding WoD...

I bet what we're seeing in the CGI cut scenes is the past. The WoD as he is living his adventure as his world's WoL. The WoD that we see are the ones at the end of the adventure where darkness has been banished and light is threatening the world.
That's not what they implied at all. Please refer to my earlier comment:

The reason is that
they're completely separate characters from another world (the First). Not an alternate reality, another world entirely.
It's more than heavily implied that each
"shard world" has developed its own history, culture (the WoDs borrowed their names to blend in, they have different jobs from ours)
and the Lore book even implies
that each world has their own Ascian (the First's ascian was named Mitron, while the Thirteen's was Igeyohrm)

Ploid 3.0

I wouldn't go as far to call it challenging but while lving it is a bit more difficult to traverse through the zones than what it was in the ARR zones. Enemies hit harder, flight has to be unlocked in each zone, and the unfamiliarity of it all will get you killed every now and again.

Interesting, it's better than nothing. Recently I went back to FFXI and i was able to go pretty much anywhere I wanted at level one. Jeuno was a cake walk. I think that game taught me how to navigate other games as well. I was playing another game with aggro and dangerous stuff all around me, yet it's like I can see invisible ranges of their sight or sound (most games it's just a type of aggro aura range unfortunately).

As for farming open world monsters for valuable items, the game sort of has that now. They added airship exploration around 3.2, it basically consisted of going to an instanced zone (72 player cap iirc) about the size of an open world zone and farming suped up monsters for gear or trying to avoid them while gathering.

It was a complete and utter flop. People ran it for the first month or so and then got completely bored of how it was designed. They've been working on revamping it since then and have scheduled the new version of it for 3.5 early next year.

You should try getting BLM at 60, the new rotation its a bit more engaging than the old 50 rotation.

I actually forgot all about the big focus on gathering in this game, to the point of making them classes and giving them class armor and abilities. So I guess it makes sense that you will probably not find Dragon's Blood on normal bat type #203 in the Heart of Deadly Maw Inner Sanctum map 3.

I'll be looking up the BLM stuff now. I know Bard got some new stuff in Hevensward but I don't think I checked other classes. Oh what do you guys think will be given to jobs again for this new expansion? Do you think they will get major abilities that will change them a lot like Hevensward? I really love class updates. Best ever FFXI December 2004, the introduction of the Assassin trait, such quality of life.

Shahed

Yeah ARR had it's fair share of fetch and nonsense quests that were far from ideal. They are present in Heavensward as well, but they made the good decision of relegating them to sidequests, and even then they are handled better. Heavenswards main quests are so much better than ARR's in terms of design, structure, story and delivery it's unreal.

For those levelling new classes. If it's your highest rank class then you really shouldn't have to grind for exp. Just do your daily roulettes. So Levelling and Guildhest. That will get you quite a bit of exp per day and also contribute to your weekly challenge log for even more exp. Once you hit Lv 50 you can also unlock and add other roulettes such as Trial, Main Scenario and Lv 50 dungeon. They'll have the added bonus of giving you tomes to gear up with also.

When I started Heavensward earlier this year I hit 60 long before the main story quests required me to. There was no farming and grinding for exp and levels. Just do your daily roulettes once and complete your challenge log along the way. Yes you can do FATES and Levequests to speed the process up if you desire, but that's only if you want hit level cap ASAP. Not really necessary when going along for the ride.

Ok, I have been on the edge of buying FFXIV. It seems a good console MMORPG for what I have seen, but having a pay sub frightens me lol

The MMORPGS I played the most were all on PC: Ultima Online, Lineage II and Guild Wars 1/2.

While UO and L2 took a lot of time from me, GW not so much and I still consider it the best mmorpg I have played. And unfortunately I dont have as much time I lile i used to.

So, taking in account my mmorpg history, is FFXIV for me?

even if I dont have much time to spend, like 34 hours TOPS on week daus, and more on weekends, will I be able to enjoy it?

Shahed

Ok, I have been on the edge of buying FFXIV. It seems a good console MMORPG for what I have seen, but having a pay sub frightens me lol

The MMORPGS I played the most were all on PC: Ultima Online, Lineage II and Guild Wars 1/2.

While UO and L2 took a lot of time from me, GW not so much and I still consider it the best mmorpg I have played. And unfortunately I dont have as much time I lile i used to.

So, taking in account my mmorpg history, is FFXIV for me?

even if I dont have much time to spend, like 34 hours TOPS on week daus, and more on weekends, will I be able to enjoy it?

Well you can always use the Trial. There are some limitations as to what you can do but you get 2 weeks free. You can buy the PS3 version for incredibly cheap. It's £2~ in the UK and will probably be similar wherever you are.

Now this isn't to play on PS3, but more because you get a free month of playtime for every device you register the Base game for. So that's 30 days plus the 2 weeks from the trial. You can probably even get the PC version of the game for incredibly cheap as well. I got a free code of it at Christmas time last year since they were basically handed out by Square. That's another 30 days

That's more than enough time to clear all of ARR up to the Heavensward expansion. It seems you have more free time than me as well so it should definitely be possible and that's all without paying any sub fee. If you decide you like it then you can even get the PS4 version for yet another extra 30 days and get Heavensward for that as well.

So yeah a total of 90 + 2 weeks can be gotten without paying any sub fee. The PC and PS3 versions will practically be free if you look around so the only thing you'll pay for really is the PS4 version and the Heavensward expansion on your platform of choice. That's enough time to see if you enjoy the game, and pretty much complete the entire scenario including the expansion (well up to 3.0 at least).

As for the other comparison to the other MMO's I can't really help you there. FFXIV is the only MMO I've played. Pretty much because it's on a console and plays incredibly well on a controller. I just have an extra keyboard for chat.

Ploid 3.0

The one good thing about FFXIV is you will be able to activate and cancel resubscription at any time (example, sub for a month and disable the process to auto resub when the next 30 days roll around). The gameplay even supports taking long breaks whenever you feel like it. Things actually get easier the longer you wait to tackle it, well that's what I observed.

The thing for me though, is if I take a long break from something, it will usually take a lot for me to get back into it. Too many other games to juggle. So in the end maybe you only play for 2 months at first, then you wait until some event that adds FFXV characters in it. You, being a fan of FFXV for this example, find it hard to pass up a spoiled prince costume and spiky hair, or that Princess lady's casual vogue magazine coat costume and hair. $12 bucks or whatever to secure a permanent costume glamour and spend a month revisiting FFXIV. So ask yourself, is a one month trip to Eorzea worth the admittance fee? You won't need a dedicated guild to get things done, you do things on your time. The only thing is you may not like the game so do research to see if it's combat style and such are to your liking as well.

Edit: (after reading Shahed's post) Oh yeah, for sure start downloading the trial now.

Lucael

Not at all, and I shouldn't have to. Once I'm at the previous level cap and have purchased the expansion there should be a quick catch up quest and then send me off to the expansion. Instead I'm forced to complete 100 quests, most of which are fetch quests or teleport around the world to talk to three people and then tell back to the quest giver. That filler content would have been fine if I had been playing when 2.1 came out and had nothing more to do but at this point it just a waste of time and gives very little reward.

I'll admit, the new dungeon and group content in the post 2.0 patches has been very good, and I'd be fine with an abbreviated version of the quest line that hits the major points, but I literally did a quest this week that was "go get that box over there" followed by "oh a few things fell out while you were walking it to me, go pick them up." Sadly, that's what passes for quest design for 80% of the time I've played this week.

Trying to, but this part isn't enjoyable.

Unfortunately for me the one class I was really drawn to when I started looking into the game is locked behind 3.0 (Astrologian). So it's a little frustrating that I have to go through so much after hitting 50 just so I can go back to level 30 and start with the job I want to play while my friends will probably keep going straight to 60. But that's mostly me putting too much pressure on myself to keep up. Oh well.

The later 2.0 patches contain more gameplay parts, usually for each of them there is one story-related dungeon and one quested plus a Primal fight. Anyway you should consider this, when you reach 60 you usually get:

- a couple of dungeons you're going to repeat again and again in roulette expert
- one Primal (usually the last one) worth to farm
- one 24 player raid dungeon
- one endgame raid in easy mode
- one endgame raid in hard mode
- Palace of the Death or something (I stopped playing a couple of months ago)

Obviously you can clear all the previous content but from a drop perspective it's nearly useless or you're too much overleveled to have any real challenge from some old fights (until you find a party that want to put the cap on). I'm saying this because I suggest to not expect a lot of endgame choices when you reach 60.

About Astrologian... when you'll reach Ishgard you'll start at 30 and honestly catch up to 50 when you're there is really easy and much faster. (Oh and I strongly suggest to kill T9 raid fight with 50 cap, is the best fight of the game!)

Edit: as Shahed said seems that progress with the main quest is not so important for 60 anymore since roulettes will be enough.

Dinjoralo

So... How long can those of us who foolishly bought the game on Steam be expected to wait after 4.0 releases to actually play it? :/

Ploid 3.0

So... How long can those of us who foolishly bought the game on Steam be expected to wait after 4.0 releases to actually play it? :/

Can't you just get the normal expansion and add it to the steam version? I doubt you need steam to be able to update it or even play it.

Firebrand

Not sure what you mean? You need to buy the expansion on Steam and register the key on Mogstation, but the launcher will update it immediately.

I had no issues with the HW launch on Steam.

Mr. RHC

So we Kung Fu Chocobo now?

Also why did they redesign / remove original protagonist boy?

latest

Is it even the same person?

Final-Fantasy-XIV-Stormblood-Teaser-Trailer-6.jpg

Worse than Stellagate IMHO. There was such resolve and strength in the eyes of the original design. He is too humble now. #Yoshida'sVision

Taruranto

You are not every whiny. ARR is almost entirely made of endless fetch quests that you can't skip. It's a legit problem that people tend to omit when they mention the "epic story". (Which it's even that good anyway, even FFXI base storyline is better jeez)

What are you on about?

There's no problem playing HW or any of the patches on Steam FF14 as soon as its available otherwise. The client receives the update, not Steam. >_>

artsi

latest

Worse than Stellagate IMHO. There was such resolve and strength in the eyes of the original design. He is too humble now. #Yoshida'sVision

pUA9oUR.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

latest

Literally the same character. He just has a new hair style, is older and seen some shit since 1.0.

silva1991

latest

I think the new design is better.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Warrior of Light is a chump anyway for switching jobs so often.

But yeah same dude. That 1.0 version of him is 15 years younger you know.

Top Bottom