• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC/PS4, no PS3) announced, first info [Up: Trailer]

KTO

I don't know how they would solve this, but I'm not excited about them adding new abilities. My rotations on PS4 are already so messed up with only 16 hot keys per page. Any more abilities and I'm going to have to start juggling three pages.

That was a lame trailer :(

Didn't really hype me up like Heavensward did.

It's still a teaser, not the real trailer.

I don't know how they would solve this, but I'm not excited about them adding new abilities. My rotations on PS4 are already so messed up with only 16 hot keys per page. Any more abilities and I'm going to have to start juggling three pages.

You can enable expanded controls with L2+R2 and R2+L2 to get another 16 hot keys. That way, you don't have to juggle through the pages.

Heartfyre

Surely this game is gonna get a ""Pro patch" right?

It seems inevitable.

I'd expect to hear about it at Japan's or Europe's Fan Fest, once the console is out and we're closer to 4.0's release.

I agree, it's pretty inevitable, and makes most sense to introduce it with the expansion.

Hazanko

Banned

Yeah, unless they made it easier for console players, new abilities puts me off. It's true they added control options but you lose dps messing around with them, compared to it all being on one bar. It needs to be fast, putting moves all over the place just feels akward.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Everything sounds great.
I pumped 140 hours into ARR at the beginning of the year, and I'm like, not even two thirds to Heavensward. I'd really like to play it, and the new expansion eventually, but it's just so overwhelming.

What an utterly lifeless trailer. Pretty visuals just don't do anything for me anymore...

The Star Wars mmo trailers are far more inspiring and attention grabbing. They tell a story about the world and get you interested.

Liking the idea of dropping PS3 support though. It's time to move on.

It's not a real trailer, it's a teaser. It's a small slice of the games full cg opening. Remember, they are spreading the reveal of this game across 3 events. Heavensward full CG opening definitely had the recap story telling part of it down as I'm sure this eventually will.

Teknoman

I can tell this expansion is going to have some of my favorite environments!

If they end up having something like Mt. Koltz just because of its Sabin vs Vargus Monk infused FFness...

AgeEighty

One of the very first pieces of info from the keynote was that they are revamping the battle system, with an eye toward simplifying rotations and removing skills that aren't useful.

Yeah, unless they made it easier for console players, new abilities puts me off. It's true they added control options but you lose dps messing around with them, compared to it all being on one bar. It needs to be fast, putting moves all over the place just feels akward.

I find the L2+R2/R2+L2 scheme to be very quick to use; it becomes second nature with a little practice. And just about every job has a core of most/used skills that all fit on the main bar.

Vic_Viper

Still no Samurai class?

Will wait until they add a way to decrease the time it takes to level a character to 60. I'd come back if it didn't take what felt like forever to level up in this game. Although Samurai might make the grind easier. Really wanted to check out Dark Knight but just getting It unlocked took way too long, then to have to start completely over lol.

royox

Terrorblot

Stopped playing before 3.1 was even out. The last thing I did before leaving was the first four Alexander floors and Bismark EX. Can't wait to resub and plow through some main story and see what's been going on!

Still no Samurai class?

Will wait until they add a way to decrease the time it takes to level a character to 60. I'd come back if it didn't take what felt like forever to level up in this game. Although Samurai might make the grind easier. Really wanted to check out Dark Knight but just getting It unlocked took way too long, then to have to start completely over lol.

They sped up 1-50 when they released Heavensward so I'd expect similar changes for 50-60. Also this time they might not lock classes behind having a char that can access the new areas first. Honestly though, it's not really that long especially the first char with all the story quests, there's barely a need to do sidequests anymore up to 50 iirc. Although then at 50 you have the stupid amount of story quest to advance before you open Heavensward, that's the real killer.

And Samurai maybe this expansion, it's definitely near the top of the list of the most wanted jobs I'd say. They teased Red Mage, but there's several classes coming. Most likely at least 3(DPS/Tank/Healer), potentially 4 if they do melee/ranged DPS split. Final class lineup will be known probably not before the february fanfest in europe.

Ochibi

Why people are assuming we're still getting the Trinity Healer Tank DPS ?

It's very possible that we we'll get 2 DPS & 1 Tank, 1 Healer/support + 2 DPS etc.

If it's Samuraï, Red Mage and Dancer, it's likely 2DPS & 1 Healer/Support.

That was my concern before they announced this expansion, but it seems the developers are aware of this since they said they'll be trying to eliminate redunant or unused actions and streamline the skill system overall. So I'm happy to wait and see how they handle what they talked about.

Parfait

Why people are assuming we're still getting the Trinity Healer Tank DPS ?

It's very possible that we we'll get 2 DPS & 1 Tank, 1 Healer/support + 2 DPS etc.

If it's Samuraï, Red Mage and Dancer, it's likely 2DPS & 1 Healer/Support.

Dancer is dps and i'll hear none of this talk otherwise!

Parfait

Can't wait for the 5 hour DPS DF queues if that happened lol.

Maybe they're going to expand on the idea of a class that can have multiple rolls like the Arcanist.

That would be nice, though I think Yoshi wanted to get rid of classes so bad. I don't blame him, but the game also needs variety. My current hangup is not enjoying how many of the jobs play aside from Warrior, Monk and Dark Knight, so i'm real thirsty for a DPS i could enjoy that doesn't have greased lightning.

~Cross~

I don't know. It's a huge feature. If it was minimal they'd likely say that but I guess we'll find out in time.

Its not just the combat skill bloat. The PS3 was holding back the games UI because of its lack of RAM so adding additional elements to track buffs and debuffs was impossible. They already said that an example of what they were going to do is a unique dragoon timer on screen to easily show how much time you have left in Dragons Blood.

You can add additional mechanics to classes if you can make it easier for players to see what is happening, particularly with procs. Something like frost mages in WoW would be very clunky in FFXIV because you wouldn't be able to see all the procs your character has stored up without looking at your buff bar.

Zelias

Banned
FFXIV is one of those games where I could barely care less about the endgame and I just enjoy the levelling and story content. Definitely going to be in for this!

Still no Samurai class?

But leveling is fast as shit after your first 60. Armory buff, exp buff from 15 to 30 from the ring from training excercises. If you have the CE you have the helmet for exp till 10. Don't forget exp buff from your FC Fates with the occasional dungeon so you k is how to play the class and your at 60 in no time.

Vic_Viper

They sped up 1-50 when they released Heavensward so I'd expect similar changes for 50-60. Also this time they might not lock classes behind having a char that can access the new areas first. Honestly though, it's not really that long especially the first char with all the story quests, there's barely a need to do sidequests anymore up to 50 iirc. Although then at 50 you have the stupid amount of story quest to advance before you open Heavensward, that's the real killer.

Couldn't have been sped up that much. Last time I played my Nin I got up to either 38 or 42 and got stuck in a lul with only quests above my level I couldn't access or lower ones that didn't give enough exp. was grinding fates and stuff just trying to hit my next story quest at like 45.

Even TOR has xp boosters. The food you can use isn't a big enough increase. As someone that played* a few hours before work each day it shouldn't be so hard/long to level up quickly imo.

Couldn't have been sped up that much. Last time I played my Nin I got up to either 38 or 42 and got stuck in a lul with only quests above my level I couldn't access or lower ones that didn't give enough exp. was grinding fates and stuff just trying to hit my next story quest at like 45.

Even TOR has xp boosters. The food you can use isn't a big enough increase. As someone that plays a few hours before work each day it shouldn't be so hard/long to level up quickly imo.
Be smart about which Fates you do. And if your not worried about gathering/crafting classes use your leves. It really isn't much of a grind.

novabolt

The in-gameplay photos look too clean for PS3 to run, I wonder if that will push Japanese PS3 FF14 players to the PS4? I really hope so but I imagine that the game won't receive a lot of players now. Also what class is the lady in red, a dancer? I've never sat down and played FFXIV so I'm a bit clueless about the classes and ranking system in FFXIV.

Parfait

Be smart about which Fates you do. And if your not worried about gathering/crafting classes use your leves. It really isn't much of a grind.

It's a grind, albeit not a very big one. Leves are a waste, xp/hour wise. 42+ was all about grinding fates or dungeons, or in Vic's case doing quests. I dont know how it is these days, but Northern Thanalan is a good bet if there are still fate parties there.

Basically, run dungeons, lots of them, and do fates in between.

Even TOR has xp boosters. The food you can use isn't a big enough increase. As someone that played* a few hours before work each day it shouldn't be so hard/long to level up quickly imo.

It's a grind, albeit not a very big one. Leves are a waste, xp/hour wise. 42+ was all about grinding fates or dungeons, or in Vic's case doing quests. I dont know how it is these days, but Northern Thanalan is a good bet if there are still fate parties there.

Basically, run dungeons, lots of them, and do fates in between.

I've just finished my first level 50 character earlier, took me 2 weeks of regular play. It's certainly much faster than I remember in 2.0 back then, because there are lots of xp sources other than quests, dungeons, and fates.

Right now, there are dungeon roulette which can gives you 50% or even a whole level. There's also hunting log & challenge log which give big sums of xp. Furthremore, the most efficient method for leveling right now is Palace of the Dead. In fact, you can't do fates run anymore nowadays because everyone is leveling in PotD instead.

Reknoc

That would be nice, though I think Yoshi wanted to get rid of classes so bad. I don't blame him, but the game also needs variety. My current hangup is not enjoying how many of the jobs play aside from Warrior, Monk and Dark Knight, so i'm real thirsty for a DPS i could enjoy that doesn't have greased lightning.

Well you could do it without a class, have what role it takes depend on what weapon it has equipped or something? Like Red Mage with a sword could be DPS or equip a wand or whatever to turn to support.

~Cross~

Yeah, the class system is one of the last holdouts from the previous designs that they need to do away with. Apparently its very inefficient and forces a lot more data to be sent between the client and the server.

They can make self contained jobs that dont use other classes abilities as crutches. It would decrease job homogenization by providing them their own unique tools to deal with situations.

Zafir

I'd be all over this game if it wasn't subscription based :/

Pretty much the same. Not because I don't like paying or anything. It's more that I'm just not sure I can dedicate enough time to a single game for it to be worth my paying a subscription for something.

That said it's super successful so I don't see it going F2P anytime soon.

Let's say I bought this for PS4. Could I just jump straight into the expansion's content without having to go through the base game?

Let's say I bought this for PS4. Could I just jump straight into the expansion's content without having to go through the base game?

I don' think so.

It's an expansion to the MMO, not a sequel. But maybe SE have added some level boosting item/token like Destiny did (I think?). Would be cool, even if the content and story is really solid.

Well you could do it without a class, have what role it takes depend on what weapon it has equipped or something? Like Red Mage with a sword could be DPS or equip a wand or whatever to turn to support.

You basically just describe how the arcanist works with summoner and scholar. Honestly, I think the only thing that makes sense for red mage in FFXIV, is to make it a healer class, with healing magic, melee weapon skills and a few offensive spells(perhaps with procs based off of your weapon and healing abilities that allow you to instant cast or w/e?). Then just have them use cleric stance(or possibly one unique to the class for the melee abilities) so they can focus on whatever role they need to at the time(or just sit in cleric stance all day because stance dancing is hard).

barit

Hm time to jump back in I guess. Took a break for 3 months. My guild will be pleased.

Edit: Game is really good. My second favorite MMO of all time after the king WoW. And PS4 version is ace

Rising_Hei

I hope they do deliver and make the battle system deeper (elements? collaborative stuff between players?), i felt like heavensward was just an extension of 1.0 with no real effort in making things great; some even got worse, in fact.

Wathever the result is i'm sure i'll have my 1-2 months of enjoyment. And i hope the overall tone is as lighthearted as the teaser

Mendrox

The in-gameplay photos look too clean for PS3 to run, I wonder if that will push Japanese PS3 FF14 players to the PS4? I really hope so but I imagine that the game won't receive a lot of players now. Also what class is the lady in red, a dancer? I've never sat down and played FFXIV so I'm a bit clueless about the classes and ranking system in FFXIV.

? that was discussed on the first page because the PS3 version has finally been dropped. Thank fucking god. Game got held back badly because of this.

lame. Looks like I won't be getting this.

This was true for heavesward, and not at all true for stormblood yet. Back when 3.0 launched and in interviews since, they have repeatedly addressed that they want to move away from having expansion content locked behind the previous one. There were initially complaints that people couldn't jump right into dark knight and as an mmo, they obviously don't want to lock people out. Wait until they actually talk more about the game in December and February before you give up on the game completely.

Chessr

If you haven't hit level 60 at all even on other classes the main story alone would basically get you to 60. Maybe you might have to grind a level or 2 with fates and dungeons but you never needed to solely do them unless you are leveling an alternate class.

Nah it do not.
I started heavensward as lvl 55. At 58,5 lvl msq xp stopped. There is not enough for 5 Lvl in heavensward msq xp. Unless u do roulettes every Day. I don't do that.

Top Bottom