• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC/PS4, no PS3) announced, first info [Up: Trailer]

You know if they really do need another job to be a Tank they could always just take the Rune Knight/fencer from FF XI that job would make a fine tank. That way they can leave Samurai to be a DPS like it should be.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
"Please wait for PS5."

I know he's joking but my PC heart breaks... =/ Dump the consoles! =)

Kemal86

I really just want to have my Chocobo buddy out with me while I'm in queue for something. How hard can it be to still flag me as "solo", and then auto-dismiss the Chocobo when queue pops? Ugh.

Shouta

Give me puppetmaster and dancer, that will make me re-sub day one.

Please.

As much as I love Puppetmaster, it's very unlikely they'll do another pet job any time soon. The game's system wasn't particularly friendly to pets like Summoner's so I can't imagine a job where the pet is an even bigger component would turn out well.

I'm slightly amused by the JP subtitle for this, The Crimson Liberator. That and the general concept of the expansion remind me of Dragon Quest X's current expansion where Liberator is a key term as well, lol.

Guess Who

Banned
"Please wait for PS5."

I know he's joking but my PC heart breaks... =/ Dump the consoles! =)

... and also dump a huge portion of their PC user base that have PS4-class (or lower!) PCs. MMOs need large player bases, you want to hit as broad a minimum spec as reasonably possible.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As much as I love Puppetmaster, it's very unlikely they'll do another pet job any time soon. The game's system wasn't particularly friendly to pets like Summoner's so I can't imagine a job where the pet is an even bigger component would turn out well.

I'm slightly amused by the JP subtitle for this, The Crimson Liberator. That and the general concept of the expansion remind me of Dragon Quest X's current expansion where Liberator is a key term as well, lol.

Once again, we miss the better subtitle. T-T I wonder what's up with that. Blue Skies of Ishgard was a great subtitle as well.

Ah well.

... and also dump a huge portion of their PC user base that have PS4-class (or lower!) PCs. MMOs need large player bases, you want to hit as broad a minimum spec as reasonably possible.

I was really just idle thinking but unless you have some receipts on how much of a "huge" portion of a PC user base they would have to drop for options that other MMOs do while catering to that same user base...I'm all ears.

Ploid 3.0

My first thought was that it was probably dancer. I got excited, but then sad. I sort of don't want to see my favorite FFXI jobs in this game anymore. The transition to this game makes them quite boring or tedious. It was a nice cutscene and the whole DBZ thing caught me off guard. Maybe it's monk stage 2.

pablito

Wasn't Samurai a tank job in FFXI?

Jobs can be cool even if they're not DPS people
I heard they intended for it to be a tank. But I'm guessing (I didn't play xi at SAMs inception) since it was good at dps they just embraced that. It could tank low level stuff but not high level, during the 75 cap days anyway.

Nice trailer, for a teaser, you can get some idea of the Ala Mhigan atmosphere. I really love this game for everything it does well and can't wait to see more of this. Absolutely buying the expansion day 1.

Just please, tell me everything you're changing about my Summoner asap so I can get mentally prepared. Also, New Egis or at least the long-rumoured Egi glamours would be *really* appreciated...

Yeah, Stormblood sounds so unrefined by comparison.

Ploid 3.0

Well... there was that year or two in Aht Urghan where no one in 11 tanked with anything BUT a samurai. That was a bad time to be a paladin.

When they gave SAM Hasso and Seigan right? I remember it being fun in merit parties, didn't think people used Sam over paladins for HNMs. Especially when PLD got it's new toy abilities.

Omnicent

Well... there was that year or two in Aht Urghan where no one in 11 tanked with anything BUT /NIN. That was a bad time to be a paladin.

I fixed this for you. FFXI was /NIN fiesta. Heck DRK/NIN was pretty good to tank in some fights (could ramp aggro quickly. Also give drk dread spikes in 4.0 pls! That was a damn good spell. Though it would be pretty OP if they did a straight bring over of it).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I really need to start playing this, I had it over a year.

Shouta

I fixed this for you. FFXI was /NIN fiesta. Heck DRK/NIN was pretty good to tank in some fights (could ramp aggro quickly. Also give drk dread spikes in 4.0 pls! That was a damn good spell. Though it would be pretty OP if they did a straight bring over of it).

Until they broke the 75 cap and fixed aggro too, lol.

I remember RDM/nin on Khimera iirc. Then NIN/RDM. Was there a PLD/RDM, for some reason I remember that being used.

PLD/RDM for Phalanx before PLD got it natively but it wasn't used very often. NIN/RDM was for fast casting ninjutsu and shit.

Lucael

My first thought was that it was probably dancer. I got excited, but then sad. I sort of don't want to see my favorite FFXI jobs in this game anymore. The transition to this game makes them quite boring or tedious. It was a nice cutscene and the whole DBZ thing caught me off guard. Maybe it's monk stage 2.

The battle system of FFXIV lacks any flexibility compared to FFXI: you have those three main roles and you can't go out of them. The game is more about mechanics than using jobs skills. Sure because of this FFXI had a lot issue as well, forcing SE to rebalance (or, at last, try to) nearly in every patch. Anyway I loved both games, but honestly FFXI was in another league when talking about battle system but that was another era.

RPGCrazied

Cool. I'm so behind. I have yet to finish the Heavenward campaign, but I'm on the last dungeon I think on my Dragoon. So many games to play.

I wonder what the new classes will be, Samurai? Red Mage?

The battle system of FFXIV lacks any flexibility compared to FFXI: you have those three main roles and you can't go out of them. The game is more about mechanics than using jobs skills. Sure because of this FFXI had a lot issue as well, forcing SE to rebalance (or, at last, try to) nearly in every patch. Anyway I loved both games, but honestly FFXI was in another league when talking about battle system but that was another era.

And this is why I hope they'll fix these 'limitations' with their 'revamped' skills plan in this upcoming update.

Khrno

DyedR1c.jpg

Yup, she's a Dancer no matter how you look at it.

Ala Alba

As far as new jobs go, my current predictions are:

Engineer (Tank, bludgeoning damage via hammer, mitigation through self-shields?), with Nero retconned into being one.

Samurai (Melee dps)

Red Mage (Healer, the only role that can and does mix attack, healing, and support magic).

That would bring the role totals to 4 jobs each.

Lucael

And this is why I hope they'll fix these 'limitations' with their 'revamped' skills plan in this upcoming update.

Honestly I don't see this coming anytime soon. The battle system, at this core, is not build around skills' interaction. In the beginning of XI, you had Magic Burst and things like SA+TA or off tank strategies. And subjobs provided enough space for players to try new strategies. On top of this XIV lacks any concept of real support job and is mainly about doing mechanics right. I'm still waiting the day in which SE announce armors that improve or change your job skills' effects and not only on stats.

Caim

Samurai, Red Mage, and Dancer hopefully.

I'm a lot more hyped for this expansion than I was for Heavensward.

Looking forward to seeing what the new actions are for each class too.

Ploid 3.0

Oh man, Samurai and Dancer? Time to watch this like a hawk.

I doubt I'd want to mess with tank, but if Dancer is a healer support I will be very interested, bard reborn (and just like that, I catch a glint of how Dancer could go down the same road as bard was. DD with some party buffs. How is Machinist these days?). Also with dancing I doubt I'd mind constant spinning like rogue, and ninja, probably won't have to do the position dancing that the melee classes do as well. This could be the best chance at a good transition. Sam too I suppose since they made Dark Knight tank work.

Samurai, Red Mage, and Dancer hopefully.

I'm a lot more hyped for this expansion than I was for Heavensward.

Looking forward to seeing what the new actions are for each class too.

Red mage too? No SE, don't do this to me. What could Red Mage possibly be in this game? Enspells? There's no real elemental weaknesses, so maybe the enspells would just be different modes the Redmage would go into? That wouldn't be unique though, since cleric stance already does dd to healer. Can't wait to see what happens.

I doubt I'd want to mess with tank, but if Dancer is a healer support I will be very interested, bard reborn (and just like that, I catch a glint of how Dancer could go down the same road as bard was. DD with some party buffs. How is Machinist these days?). Also with dancing I doubt I'd mind constant spinning like rogue, and ninja, probably won't have to do the position dancing that the melee classes do as well. This could be the best chance at a good transition. Sam too I suppose since they made Dark Knight tank work.

Red mage too? No SE, don't do this to me. What could Red Mage possibly be in this game?
We might be seeing class specializations so RMG could be a heal and dps as roles.

grimmiq

I've been meaning to get back to FFXIV for the MSQ stuff...Looks like I'll be doing that a month or two before this comes out. By then I should know if Legion can hold my attention.

Allard

Red mage too? No SE, don't do this to me. What could Red Mage possibly be in this game? Enspells? There's no real elemental weaknesses, so maybe the enspells would just be different modes the Redmage would go into? That wouldn't be unique though, since cleric stance already does dd to healer. Can't wait to see what happens.

Red Mage is the only job we more or less know is coming, they hinted more jobs but only gave a hint for one, a scarlet witch T-Shirt, aka scarlet = red, witch = mage.

I really miss element weaknesses. Feels so stupid throwing ninja lightning at like Ramuh and stuff like that sometimes.

Squishy3

Whoever is complaining about PS3 support being dropped never played the game on PS3 when Hunts first came out two years ago. You couldn't even see the enemy and the game lagged like a bitch because of all the spells from other players.

I'm super stoked for this. Hopefully there's more post-MSQ content in 4.0 unlike 3.0
Not to mention there's fights where AOEs straight up don't load until after the casts have already finished on PS3.

Top Bottom