• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Broke Even with Development Costs on Day One

Halabane

We won't see numbers but previous quotes from them mentioned needing 10 m copies sold. Now its less? Is that the marketing costs? Was that a lie? IF true, it would mean they are a long way from profit.

Sales numbers seem to be a bit all over the place based on articles on kotaku. I don't follow the web site being quoted on this but I would think that this news would be all over the place because SE would be bragging about it. Right now it's speculation/fakenews (using my new vocabulary words) in my book. To me the more positive news is that they still have staff working on it. Yeah its probably more for the port to PC (or pro/scorpio) but they are still investing in the game. I hope it works out for them.

I also *wonder* if the deal with marvel/disney means its a long time before FF is important to them again.

Sciortino

Boasting about break even on day one, that's pretty sad when other guys would be talking about how much money they made. Fire Emblem gacha ran out screaming that they made millions on day one, and we don't even have to question if that was a profit.
YX6ZTJ2.gif

Fdkn

We won't see numbers but previous quotes from them mentioned needing 10 m copies sold. Now its less? Is that the marketing costs? Was that a lie? IF true, it would mean they are a long way from profit.

They never said they needed 10 million copies sold. Tabata said that was his personal goal when all is said and done about the game.

notaskwid

Sales numbers seem to be a bit all over the place based on articles on kotaku. I don't follow the web site being quoted on this but I would think that this news would be all over the place because SE would be bragging about it. Right now it's speculation/fakenews (using my new vocabulary words) in my book. To me the more positive news is that they still have staff working on it. Yeah its probably more for the port to PC (or pro/scorpio) but they are still investing in the game. I hope it works out for them.

I also *wonder* if the deal with marvel/disney means its a long time before FF is important to them again.

First of all, the 10 million goal was a personal goal, the break even point was said right away to be (much) lower.
Second of all, no japanese team is involved in the marvel/disney partnership beyond Kingdom Hearts which has existed for over 15 years.

~Cross~

There is a difference between "I don't like thing but it was successful its just not for me" like I hear a lot of people say about minecraft, uncharted, neptunia, etc and "they're lying about the game success I pegged it would bomb and I refuse to believe all the evidence saying otherwise"

There is a lot of emotional investment in FFXV because some people believe that its success is a deathknell for the more traditional "japanesy" FFs and the herald of more westernized FFs.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The fact that they sold 500k outrageously priced collector editions probably helped the balance.

Too late

Brotherhood looked very cheap to produce judging from its animation.

Brotherhood is probably typical anime costs, eg. ~200k per ep or so. In the grand budget of an AAA videogame, peanuts.

FoxSpirit

I find it funny how people can say lies when a head of a publically traded company makes a statement about finances. That shit is binding. Your company could get into deep trouble if you just lied.

I'm happy that they were able to sell that much! And at least we also have more content coming this way!

Come on guys accept the L and move on. It's always the same group of people coming into every positive thread and saying stuff like "But it's broken" or "mediocre".
Good thing he's not then.
EDIT: My bad! Didn't read and gave a dumb response.
Let me know if it broke even on the costs sunk into FF Versus XIII too.
You must have missed the last 3 pages then.

Boke1879

Some people on this board just need to come to terms that FFXV did pretty good for itself and has the potential to sell close to 9 million in its lifetime

Nerokis

It's amazing to me that a lot of the same people who were negative towards the game pre-release have managed to keep that up both through the initial release period and even now, all this time later, in response to positive news that has nothing to do with the game itself.

Ironically, this is a game with a long, long narrative arc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Koozek

If I had to guess, the versus years were written off as loses many years ago, like any other cancelled project from any studio, and that wouldn't really be a lot of money, as they never started full production on the game.

But even if SQE did the unimaginable and detailed every single receipt about the cost of the game and stuff asociated with it, some people would still say they are lying.

There is no point in arguing with those, they just want to push their narrative about the game.
Tabatrump out here spreading alternative facts.

7tRJuMF.png

~Cross~

What is it about this game that yields so much salt?

There is a lot of emotional investment in FFXV because some people believe that its success is a deathknell for the more traditional "japanesy" FFs and the herald of more westernized FFs.

I'd also add that the constant, perpetual salt by some users goes way past venting their frustrations (since they cant move on apparently) and takes on a more personal vendetta because of the above.

Since they cant prevent the game from being a success economically, they must continue to shit on it to create a narrative that its not successful in the futile attempt to try and get FF less westernized.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Now you're just generalizing those who have detailed criticism toward the game.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of the criticisms. I am aware of it but does it need to be fully pushed to people who like the game? All games have flaws but what irks me is people bringing up the problems over and over and over again.

I'd really rather really see more positive stuff than constant criticisms unless the game is extremely bad.

If someone hates the game, then he can do so but repeating it like a parrot gets annoying.

I admit I dislike XII but it has good points also.

Carlisle

Man the only threads I've read so far this morning are this one and the one about the joycons extending Switch's battery power by 20%: both pretty easily in the camp of positive news. Yet the amount of people in each one that are so angry about it.... wtf is going on in GAF today?

On topic:
Congrats FFXV team, you earned it. And congrats to SE for salvaging another major title (after FFXIV of course) and having it pay off in the end. Shows their dedication to the franchise. Now that these two major holes have been patched I'm looking forward to what a refreshed and refocused SE can pull out next.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
To be honest, I'm getting tired of the criticisms. I am aware of it but does it need to be fully pushed to people who like the game? All games have flaws but what irks me is people bringing up the problems over and over and over again.

I'd really rather really see more positive stuff than constant criticisms unless the game is extremely bad.
We're on a video game discussion forum. People are allowed to have differing opinions.

Arkeband

Banned
It's new. It's different. It has some flaws. That immediately makes it a failure in GAF standards.

Also Chapter 13. It's a bastion of defense for the haters.

The whole game is a sloppy mess, but aren't you the person who starts screaming at people to leave threads at the first sign of negativity? I don't know if your passive aggression is warranted.

ULTROS!

We're on a video game discussion forum. People are allowed to have differing opinions.

Yeah. Sometimes it just annoys me seeing a game you like gets trashed constantly like you feel you're in the minority. :/

Maybe I should quit foruming though...

burgerdog

That's good to hear, no wonder they're willing to keep that many people working on dlc. Also, when did dualshockers get their ban lifted?

Koozek

No, that was a misunderstanding that has been clarified afterwards.

"Final Fantasy XV 10 million unit goal isn't about profit, but the team's personal ambitions"

Regarding the sales: it has officially sold over 6 million (retail + digital) as of January 10. Nothing unclear about that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah. Sometimes it just annoys me seeing a game you like gets trashed constantly like you feel you're in the minority. :/

Maybe I should quit foruming though...
I wouldn't get hung up on it. Like what you like and don't worry about anyone else.

Now you're just generalizing those who have detailed criticism toward the game.
Yeah I'm sorry that really was a dumb response. But honestly, it's the same story over and over again. Plus others generalize those who like the game and spout the same things back. So I'm sorry I said it that way, but I still stand by what I said.

But it's okay to have different opinions. But the people who don't like the game are usually a lot more vocal.

AmuroChan

NPD had FFXV above Uncharted 4, but they don't track bundles. Counting bundles, UC4 probably did better, but FFXV outsold UC4's solo release.

UC4 numbers are also retail only since Sony doesn't provide digital numbers to NPD. iirc FFXV's numbers on NPD includes digital.

Gbraga

Even Nomura wanted to work on FFXV but couldn't... You never know what happens next with SE I guess

Ain't that the truth?

Even if they don't give Tabata his new IP, though, it should already be better for being a brand new idea with its own development time and no drama over it, whatever franchise it may belong to.

What are some cool dead franchises by S-E that he could revive? That could be cool as well.

A new Nomura IP would also be something I'd love to see, but unfortunately I can never see that happening. They'll keep making him direct a billion different games, he'll never have time to come up with something new.

The whole game is a sloppy mess, but aren't you the person who starts screaming at people to leave threads at the first sign of negativity? I don't know if your passive aggression is warranted.
It wasn't working. So yeah I'm a little passive aggressive now. Sorry if you don't like it.

I really shouldn't hate though cause people are perfectly okay to not like the game. I DON'T like it when they treat that hate as gospel and everything else is wrong.

ffvorax

The fact that they sold 500k outrageously priced collector editions probably helped the balance.

I was thinking the same exact thing! :D

Good for them if this means new projects in the FF franchise, I enjoyed FFXV besides its flaws, and now I'm enjoying World of FF too.

jdstorm

Banned
The "bros on a road trip" aspect was a big part of Nomura's vision for Versus XIII as well from very early on.

Cool. Thats really interesting,

Like i said before. Really happy that Tabta and the FFXV team found success with this project.

Top Bottom