• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Broke Even with Development Costs on Day One

jay-z.png

How much crow is this game going to serve on GAF?

6+ million is good sales but it's nowhere near the heights some other titles reach

It's good - not a blockbuster

6+million units is blockbuster territory. The amount of console games that still do those numbers these days are on the decline and the heights that 'some other titles reach' are heights that very, very few games reach in the first place. A game not selling in the same territory as COD, BF, Overwatch, GTAV etc doesn't mean it's not a blockbuster.

TimeSage

People forget that Versus development was on-hold for a long time . They barely worked on the project with XIV and XIII fiasco .

Any way congrats for the team . XV was a good start , hope they deliver a complete game next time

Wow, really?

Right, just remember that the game indeed sold a lot and made the best selling PS4 game in 2016.

When you see game budget figures, that always includes the marketing budget. In fact, a lot of the time, at least with AAA games, the marketing spend takes up a larger portion of the overall budget than the actual game dev costs do. People talk about ballooning game dev costs, a lot of that is down to advertising. It's a big business.

Xadjim

Banned
Versus XIII, however.....

Jokes aside, I'm glad this has turned out to be a success, the series needed the win after a rocky few years. Congrats to Tabata and the team for taking on a huge task and getting it done!

Had no significant costs at all. About 2 people worked on that project during the 7 years

Philippo

With the spotlight back on them, i hope SE uses the money earned and the lessons learned with this game, to ride the wave and release a FFXVI soon, just this time make it complete from day one.
They are in a really good position now, i really hope they don't blow it.
But how they treated the latest showing of FFVIIR tho...

Some Nobody

When you see game budget figures, that always includes the marketing budget. In fact, a lot of the time, at least with AAA games, the marketing spend takes up a larger portion of the overall budget than the actual game dev costs do. People talk about ballooning game dev costs, a lot of that is down to advertising. It's a big business.

Well, I'm going to assume/hope that's not true, 'cause fuck all this ad revenue they're throwing out just so a game can sell 5+ million and be called a "minor success". :p

Anyways, yeah I totes believe this game paid for itself. Realistically it was being developed from 2012-2016, that's a pretty standard dev cycle.

bigol

Where was coming from that claim that the game had to sell 10 millions copies to recover development costs?

Where was coming from that claim that the game had to sell 10 millions copies to recover development costs?

People taking Tabata's comment out of context. He said that he set a personal goal of 10m units, but some took that to mean that the it'd need to sell that much just to break even.

Well, I'm going to assume/hope that's not true, 'cause fuck all this ad revenue they're throwing out just so a game can sell 5+ million and be called a "minor success". :p

Haha it's true, unfortunately. The amount of money it costs to get trailers made, showcase games at events over a year, sometimes two year period, TV ads, web ads and other stuff like invite only press events is just insane. Sometimes more expensive than the actual game development budget.

bigol

No one ever said that? Unless you mean a gaffer said it.

Tabata said that was the team's lifetime sales goal for the title.

I mean i read it on here that the game had to sell 10 millions to cover the long development costs.

If nobody of the development team never said that i guess it's part of the usual "lol, FFXV is a failure" crap...

The same people who are trying to spin this into something bad. 10m was always a self goal, if it were something needed to break even, tabata wouldnt have been allowed to blurt out the game's estimated budget in a presscon just like that.
And for the record, break even on day 1 doesnt even necessarily mean exactly 5-6mn copies were needed to cover it. All we know is that it was covered within those 5-6m. Could be all 6 , could be 2. who knows. Im glad it didnt sink them.
personally, i was left a tad disappointed with the game. a fun 8/10 game though.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

They must be discounting when the project was Versus XIII, I would be very surprised if this is true.

my understanding is that there was basically no versus team

everyone was working on xiii, then xiv, then arr and versus didn't really get any resources until the project was revamped into xv

before then it was mostly nomura sitting in a room talking to himself, which can't have been too expensive

fertygo

Game still a big mess but its really fair to say Tabata save the project IMO

Its can be a lot worse

I hope dude get his due.

Famassu

Believable. Final Fantasy XV entered development in like, 2012? Final Fantasy Versus XIII was just written off as sunk costs.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

They must be discounting when the project was Versus XIII, I would be very surprised if this is true.

Nice...but what about the development cost of Final Fantasy Versus 13 though?
FFVsXIII didn't cost dozens of millions to develop up to the point of the game changing into FFXV. It either wasn't in active development at all at times or the team was really small for years after its announcement between 2006-early 2011. It wasn't until mid 2011 when they started to ramp up FFVsXIII's development (prior to that much of the time was spent on figuring out the details of the project, prototyping, creating a vertical slice etc., which doesn't require a team of hundreds) and even then the problems with FFXIV caused delays in Versus XIII's production or in their ability to move forward with its development with as big of a team they'd have needed. By the time it became FFXV, I'm not sure if it had been much more than six months in full development, which is the costly part of game development.

Good I guess, but more because I value Final Fantasy as a series than because I wanted XV to succeed. How such a thoroughly mediocre game is performing so well is beyond me, but at least this will give the series a good opportunity to grow past the mess that was XV's development and final product.

Cloukyo

Banned
People forget that Versus development was on-hold for a long time . They barely worked on the project with XIV and XIII fiasco .

Any way congrats for the team . XV was a good start , hope they deliver a complete game next time

Wasn't most of the development for Versus just for those trailers? I think I recall Nomura even saying certain areas were just made the week before trailer release.

That said, seems a lot of resources were wasted on trailers for XV too... seeing as almost nothing from them turned up in the game.

Here's betting literally nothing from the FF7 reboot trailer turns up in the final game.

AerialAir

Banned
Good I guess, but more because I value Final Fantasy as a series than because I wanted XV to succeed. How such a thoroughly mediocre game is performing so well is beyond me, but at least this will give the series a good opportunity to grow past the mess that was XV's development and final product.

Fantastic marketing considering what it actually is and how empty it can get.

Reorx

I wonder if this covers marketing costs and we know that they shipped 5 mio copies for launch day which roughly results in 150 mio USD in revenue for SE.

JBwB

That's great news! However I have no doubt people won't believe this lmao.

Tabtata and team, you did good.

Good to see they at least hit the ground running, if not sprinting like you'd expect from the series in past generations. Here's hoping the push to develop XVI isn't bogged down nearly as much as this was. In the long run, the stigma of being a game consistently being held back, leaving only some niche spinoffs and XIII's controversal legacy didn't help this game's reputation by and large. It sold well, and deservedly so, but not blockbusters.

Well although I don't believe them, this certainly show how strong the Final Fantasy franchise is. It has even make a very average game sell a lot.

Go on Square, learn from the mistakes and make a perfect game already.

"But, but 10 years of development means it will never be profitable!"

Great news for the team, and once again shows that many people have no clue when it comes to resource management and how that changes budget.

If you were to believe some people the most expensive games ever made would be FF15 and TLG even though some sane people would point out that it wasn’t fully in development for most of those years and as such wouldn’t be draining resources.

Famassu

Because it's pretty far from a "thoroughly mediocre game", it's pretty much the definition of a diamond in the rough. While it does indulge in some sins of open world games and feels rushed, it does enough things differently and well to set it apart from Ubisoft-y open world games & MMOs to offer people a different kind of experience that a lot of people enjoy despite those flaws.

Ochibi

Does it mean the game only, so FFXV, or also with the anime Brotherhood (which was free), and Kingsglaive (which must have cost a lot) ?

That is, of course, excluding marketing costs (such as the CGI movie tie-in), as well as opportunity cost.

If I were in charge, I'd be second-guessing HD development at this point. Mobile is far more lucrative.

JoeNut

Believable. Final Fantasy XV entered development in like, 2012? Final Fantasy Versus XIII was just written off as sunk costs.

Although i'm not sure if you're just guessing at this, that would make much more sense, considering how long ago it was announced.

Glad to see the game being successful, i enjoyed it very much despite its flaws.

Oh no doubt. Aren't A-1 Pictures known as more of a "budget" studio?

Sort of. They produce a shitload of shows, usually 2 or more shows per season, so their quality isn't always the greatest. But they've produced a lot of great shows over the years and also some pretty big budget ones. So it might be more appropriate to call them a "spread thin" studio... lol

jdstorm

Banned
Because it's pretty far from a "thoroughly mediocre game", it's pretty much the definition of a diamond in the rough. While it does indulge in some sins of open world games and feels rushed, it does enough things differently and well to set it apart from Ubisoft-y open world games & MMOs to offer people a different kind of experience that a lot of people enjoy despite those flaws.

Id agree with this. To me there are 2 types of mediocre games. One is your typical rehashed FPS/TPS/Whatever genre that is competant but unimaginative. That certainly doesnt describe FFXV. The other is a highly ambitious game that falls short of its goals.

To me FFXV is a game with two seperate identities that dispite the teams best efforts failed find a coherent way to bring those two very different visions together. VersusXIII's Yakuza Romeo and Juliet vs Tabata's Buddy Road trip.

Yet that doesnt bother me because the level of ambition in this game is high and it has a bunch of great moments.

Top Bottom