• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

On Demand

Banned
The first image of the camp menu (in a scan) already showed them all at different levels.

That is just a demo, of course everyone will level up equally, unless someone keeps dying.

Yeah i'm literally just now seeing that from the other thread. Crisis averted.

EDIT-

LQfIBlt.jpg

in before 'definite proof tabata reads neogaf everyday, sees your post and rushes to the center of Squeenix HQ to ring the bell that signifies new feedback, at which point all staff have to immediately drop whatever they're doing to clamber all over each other to respond to said feedback'

Wait, whazut? Oh my.......

This is exactly what i was talking about.

Falk

that puzzling face
p.s.
Yoko Shimomura just mentioned that the main theme in the Type-0 Final Trailer was from Distant Worlds and not her arrangement.

Could have posted this in that specific trailer thread instead but eh, it's at the start of this ATR.

DeSolos

I honestly can't see eye to eye with you on this. I'm trying to wrap my head how a (presumably) waist-high 2D panel trailing off to your right is in any shape or form believably 'in the world'.

I mean, yeah I totally agree on waypoints and HUD elements and all that (and personally I really prefer the more translucent mockup they had around TGS which refracted the image below it)

Yeah it's definitely not the most realistic implementation. I think the fact that it was tied directly to something that Noctis and his crew had on their person made it a bit more grounded.

Not sure if this will make it into the final game, but The Division had a similar flashy "in world" map. In reality it would be really impractical, but the fact that it exists right there in the world makes it less of a leap of faith than going into the menu that exists in "video game land".

the_destiny_03.jpg

Falk

that puzzling face
So let's just say they're wearing invisible Google Glasses and actually looked up Gamefaqs as to where the Behemoth is

Done, in-game technology tie-in.

-Ryn

Banned
So they mentioned something about a reward for thorough players of the demo right? Do we have any idea what it might be?

AC did weird stuff (mainly because that's supposed to be after the main game, so wtf is Cloud doing going back to his old self), but he was mopey in the beginning, people just realized it once he got the most monotone VA in all of gaming.
Saw this and just thought I'd point out that the reason that Cloud reverted in AC was because though he really did try to live happily, his sense of guilt over being powerless to save Aerith or Zack began to consume him.

While I do think Cloud's angst was a bit excessive, I thought AC was a great watch. Especially the Complete Edition.

Also his English VA is awesome. It's just that he didn't really have any chances to express something other than apathy or angst.

This was one of my favorite moments of the demo:
ggdfbay.gif

It totally shocked me and I thought we were going to see a game over screen.

I still kinda can't believe that so many enemies arrived at once. I wouldn't have guessed that the game would ever have you fighting more than maybe half a dozen enemies. Hopefully shit gets real crazy in the full version.

Gbraga

Totally agree! But I think there should also be a handful of design adjustments to make it clearer what you're supposed to do. For example, this crawl space is actually kind of hard to notice. Apart from the glowing icon, it could be easy to miss if you weren't directly looking at it.

vEK70Z9.png

One idea would be to make the space more visually striking. In linear games, lighting tends to serve this purpose, but this is an exterior area in a mission that could happen at night, in the fog, in the pouring rain etc. So maybe some artificial lights like a flickering flashlight that points at the crawl space could make it a lot clearer. This would possibly hint at someone who failed getting the Behemoth and would add to the tension of the scene.

You could also paint the crawl space a color that makes it stand out more from the environment. The Uncharted series gets a lot of mileage out of using the color yellow for ladders and ledges that are climbable.

I'm definitely in the camp that less is more when it comes to UI, but I don't think only making it optional is enough. Clearly they chose to add these in, because in their playtesting they may have found that their quests were hard to follow because the lack of direction. If that is the problem they should strive to make their levels a lot clearer before leaning on UI elements.

I don't think they need to do anything there, just remove the pointer. I bet you can't jump over it and there's nowhere else you can go through. There's no need to make it any more obvious, just remove the pointer and let people waste 5 seconds figuring out where to go on their first playthrough.

Koozek

but but but 4x battle speed

Okay, yeah, that was nice while playing, BUT I still don't know how to feel about the fact that you can easily play most JRPGs with sped up battles without looking at the screen or pressing a button in the first place. Right now I'm playing and enjoying Persona 4, but I mostly play with Rush (auto-attack) and party AI set to Act Freely in normal battles (boss battles are nice, however). If it wasn't for the fun, refreshing story/setting I honestly wouldn't keep playing for so long.

If a game can be played mindlessly, I will play it that way. Why should I bother doing more grunt work with a mechanic that can mostly be played without my input, anyway? I'd rather have a system that keeps me on my toes with a dynamic/real-time element (Shadow Hearts, Baten Kaitos, Paper Mario, LR, etc.). Otherwise I can't help but feel like I waste my time doing chores.
Though I have to admit that sometimes mindless grinding and seeing numbers going up still is addictive somehow, but there's also a way to make a battle system addictive AND involving^^

Maybe the genre isn't for me anymore after nearly 20 years of it being my favorite, or maybe it has to evolve and be streamlined more. FFXIII/-2/LR at least tried to do something new by changing or challenging some of the old conventions.

Go_Ly_Dow

I still kinda can't believe that so many enemies arrived at once. I wouldn't have guessed that the game would ever have you fighting more than maybe half a dozen enemies. Hopefully shit gets real crazy in the full version.

Nomura once said for Versus he wanted multiple battles taking places all around you (inside buildings whilst your outside etc...) And massive enemy counts. Can't imagine that was possible on PS3 but with 8GB of ram and more power in general we might see that.

This was one of my favorite moments of the demo:
ggdfbay.gif

It totally shocked me and I thought we were going to see a game over screen.

My friend and I actually thought that looked pretty frightening, like the way Noctis is trying to look back in a daze as his body starts seizing up.

My friend and I actually thought that looked pretty frightening, like the way Noctis is trying to look back in a daze as his body starts seizing up.
The scary thing is that you see that motherfucker sprinting towards Noctis from a ways away just to deliver the blow. For how many action games and action RPGs get ranted on for having bad enemy AI, this one looks brutal. Noctis and crew almost got their asses handed to them fighting these guys and had to retreat. Love that!

Voror

How much do we know regarding the Phantom Sword system? I saw something about collecting Phantom Swords in the area which would add to the number that show up or something. Is that sort of a side quest you can do that can increase the power of the ability or do we not really know quite yet?

How much do we know regarding the Phantom Sword system? I saw something about collecting Phantom Swords in the area which would add to the number that show up or something. Is that sort of a side quest you can do that can increase the power of the ability or do we not really know quite yet?

From the way they are saying it looks like you collect them just like you collect normal equipment. I don't think there is necessarily a side quest tied to it.

My (extremely random) guess is that you find them in dungeons and stuff, since I don't see them selling this in shops or having an NCP give you as a reward to a quest.

Anyway, yeah, that scene with the android guys is pretty scary, that entire fight was the highlight of the video for me.

Philippo

Unless it does a higher damage, at the expense of no mobility, i fail to see what's the point of having a dedicated weapon for air attacks.

My ideal would be the Phantom Sword being like KH:BBS Styles, with a special attack and various abilities linked to it that works as backbone for the player's build. Since we saw there's an interchangeable icon related to it, i think it possibly has various iterations. It would be cool if the one we saw is about additional damage+high-speed, and then there are others like high-damage but slow, a defensive one, an elemental one and so on.
For collecting, i imagine that each sword you find adds both visually (plus one sword rotating around you) and powering up the skill, and you find them through exploration, questing and defeating hard monsters. If there are various weapons linked to various versions, there could be a lot of phantom swords to collect.

How much of this is close to reality, idk

Voror

From the way they are saying it looks like you collect them just like you collect normal equipment. I don't think there is necessarily a side quest tied to it.

My (extremely random) guess is that you find them in dungeons and stuff, since I don't see them selling this in shops or having an NCP give you as a reward to a quest.

Ah, I suppose that would make sense as well. Sort of thought that since it seems to possibly something like a limit break ability, it might have some special way to upgrade and improve. Having equipment specifically for it could fulfill that I suppose.

That's what I was thinking as well since this doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd find being sold from a vendor.

My ideal would be the Phantom Sword being like KH:BBS Styles, with a special attack and various abilities linked to it that works as backbone for the player's build. Since we saw there's an interchangeable icon related to it, i think it possibly has various iterations. It would be cool if the one we saw is about additional damage+high-speed, and then there are others like high-damage but slow, a defensive one, an elemental one and so on.
For collecting, i imagine that each sword you find adds both visually (plus one sword rotating around you) and powering up the skill, and you find them through exploration, questing and defeating hard monsters. If there are various weapons linked to various versions, there could be a lot of phantom swords to collect.

How much of this is close to reality, idk

That could definitely be pretty cool. What we see of it here does look a bit different from previous times as I recall there being an attack with the Phantom Sword where blades just start launching at an enemy, though that could have changed or be a more high level attack.

It'd be sort of wild if you could eventually be able to summon a whole army of blades or something, but that might be a bit much.

Philippo

That could definitely be pretty cool. What we see of it here does look a bit different from previous times as I recall there being an attack with the Phantom Sword where blades just start launching at an enemy, though that could have changed or be a more high level attack.

It'd be sort of wild if you could eventually be able to summon a whole army of blades or something, but that might be a bit much.

Well the evoked weapons attacking together with you are still there if you look closely, honestly don't remember them hitting without you.
Doubt we'll see more than 6-10 weapons.

Voror

Well the evoked weapons attacking together with you are still there if you look closely, honestly don't remember them hitting without you.
Doubt we'll see more than 6-10 weapons.

It seemed a bit different from the other times, though they may have changed it since then perhaps.

It would be a bit much to see much more than that. It's probably correct that they'll be like other equipment that you get better swords as the game goes on and such.

I had a thought today.

Does anyone remember that bullshit White Knight Chronicles "gameplay" back when the seventh gen was just starting?

This game actually looks like I thought that game would play.

Falk

that puzzling face
Maybe the genre isn't for me anymore after nearly 20 years of it being my favorite, or maybe it has to evolve and be streamlined more. FFXIII/-2/LR at least tried to do something new by changing or challenging some of the old conventions.

One can only hope a LR-esque combat system makes its way into a mainline entry somewhere down the road. Unintended(?) features like buffering and the torpid walk speed aside, it was pretty damn solid yet flexible.

DeSolos

I had a thought today.

Does anyone remember that bullshit White Knight Chronicles "gameplay" back when the seventh gen was just starting?

This game actually looks like I thought that game would play.

Old wounds I forgot I had...
http://youtu.be/oEXvnoY-KoU

But yeah FFXV definitely delivers on a lot of the feel of that White Knight trailer. Especially in the character animation department.

Minus party switching.

Koozek

One can only hope a LR-esque combat system makes its way into a mainline entry somewhere down the road. Unintended(?) features like buffering and the torpid walk speed aside, it was pretty damn solid yet flexible.

Preach! Most fun I've had in a long time with a JRPG. There are some minor flaws, but overall it was super involving and gripping. You also really had to customize your Schemata often and wisely for bosses and sidequests, offering a lot of creative ways of tackling battles.

Top Bottom